ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best FIVE next season
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
Best FIVE next season
I'm ready for 2016-17. What is your best five?

Here's what I have...

PG-Tre Evans-After seeing Marcus Evans in person carrying such a heavy scoring burden as a freshman I don't see why Tre can't step right in without having to score so much.
SG-B.J. Stith-All the shots for B.J. Stith. I want to think he can handle 15-17 shots per game as our combo guard.
SF-Randy Haynes-Evans is running the show, Stith is filling it up and Haynes is doing everything else to make those above things possible.
PF-Zoran TalleyI know he's a SF and everyone wants to GO BIG next season but JJ needs a PF that can step out and hit an 18 footer and take his guy to the rack. Talley can do that, I'm not sure that Porter or Kah can do that right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
C-Brandan Stith-The second he gets in foul trouble, JJ can turn to Colbert, Porter, Taylor or Kah. Stith becomes our version of Andre Drummond, just killing it in the paint.

What's your best (not starting five) next season?
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 06:13 PM by ODUR8R.)
02-15-2016 06:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

RE: Best FIVE next season
I can't even begin to guess at this point, but I really like Talley at the 4. I think he is just much more comfortable there, and this year we are a better team when he is at the 4 than we are when he is at the 3.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 06:20 PM by Monarchblue.)
02-15-2016 06:20 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Caver
Stith
Talley
Colbert
Stith

I think Colbert is better than people realize and can step out and hit mid range shot and possibly the occasional 3s. I think he can helps spread the offense out a bit. The decision between Caver and Evans was tough, but without seeing Evans at the college level, I went with Caver.

My concern is with the outside shooting in that lineup. If Colbert can spread the floor and either Talley or Caver don't improve their shot, probably insert Evans or Haynes.
02-15-2016 06:21 PM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

If Caver is our starting point guard next year, I think we are in for a long season. Not because he is bad, but we need Evans to be REALLY good if we are going to be good. I am still not convinced that Stith is going to come in and light it up the way people think he is. I think 14 points a game will be a good season from him.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 06:25 PM by Monarchblue.)
02-15-2016 06:24 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I'm not even going to try to speculate on incoming players. Been burned too many times.

Caver
Stith
Baker
Taylor
Stith

Jones will default to rock fight ball and we will be in 50-48 games again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
02-15-2016 07:47 PM
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
Kah folks.
02-15-2016 08:02 PM
Advertisement

Justanodufan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Odu
(02-15-2016 06:21 PM)Gilesfan Wrote:  Caver
Stith
Talley
Colbert
Stith

I think Colbert is better than people realize and can step out and hit mid range shot and possibly the occasional 3s. I think he can helps spread the offense out a bit. The decision between Caver and Evans was tough, but without seeing Evans at the college level, I went with Caver.

My concern is with the outside shooting in that lineup. If Colbert can spread the floor and either Talley or Caver don't improve their shot, probably insert Evans or Haynes.

Replace Colbert with Kah

And Haynes isn't a 3pt shooter. He can hit one enough to keep the D honest but he isn't going to be just knocking down 3-4 a game
(This post was last modified: 02-15-2016 09:29 PM by Justanodufan.)
02-15-2016 09:28 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I didn't realize Kah was as much of a stretch 4 type as he is. I think you could be right.
02-15-2016 09:47 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

Kah, Stith and Talley up front

Evans & BJ in the backcourt

I don't believe Haynes will be a regular at the 3. Going from a 6-3 mostly bad shooting Baker on the wing to a 6-4 without an outside shot transfer doesn't seem like an improvement at all.

Talley, while no sharpshooter at lease has the ability to attack the rim. And if his shot improves any this offseason he will be better than Haynes or Baker on the wing.

Kah can play inside and out. He'll be the stretch 4 R8R is talking about. And with Kah stretching the opponents D Brandan has the ability to be a beast. Couple that with Kah and Porter there to take some inside D pressure off of him Bradan could be all-league next year.
02-15-2016 09:50 PM
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

Kah is a 4 that can shoot. I look for him to start with Stith and Porter getting serious minutes at the 4/5 slot. Throw Colbert in the mix and we will definitely be playing big a lot.
02-15-2016 09:52 PM
ODU True Blue Offline
All American

After seeing just how thin Colbert snd Porter are I'm guarded about their ability to allow us to "go big" next year.
02-15-2016 09:52 PM
Advertisement

Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Its a shame that these big guys weren't available a year earlier.
02-15-2016 09:54 PM
ODU BBALL Offline
Heisman

(02-15-2016 06:12 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I'm ready for 2016-17. What is your best five?

Here's what I have...

PG-Tre Evans-After seeing Marcus Evans in person carrying such a heavy scoring burden as a freshman I don't see why Tre can't step right in without having to score so much.
SG-B.J. Stith-All the shots for B.J. Stith. I want to think he can handle 15-17 shots per game as our combo guard.
SF-Randy Haynes-Evans is running the show, Stith is filling it up and Haynes is doing everything else to make those above things possible.
PF-Zoran TalleyI know he's a SF and everyone wants to GO BIG next season but JJ needs a PF that can step out and hit an 18 footer and take his guy to the rack. Talley can do that, I'm not sure that Porter or Kah can do that right now. Maybe I'm wrong.
C-Brandan Stith-The second he gets in foul trouble, JJ can turn to Colbert, Porter, Taylor or Kah. Stith becomes our version of Andre Drummond, just killing it in the paint.

These picks appear to be what players you would start since you have picked one for each position.
02-15-2016 10:29 PM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

PG - Caver - He'll get over the hump and out of the shadow of two Senior guards ahead of him. He showed signs of being a good player early on, but he's regressed lately (probably due to confidence). If Evans can out play Caver for the starting spot, we'll be solid here.

SG - Stith - We'll need him to be a 10-12 PPG contributor. We'll also DESPERATELY need him to shoot well from deep.

SF - Talley - Hopefully he adds a mid-range J to his arsenal. If he does, he should be a 10-12 PPG guy without much struggle.

PF - Kah - A stretch 4 would open up the lanes for a group of guys capable of getting to the rim any time they want (Caver, Evans, Stith, and Talley). We'll need him to take 3-4 deep shots a game and hopefully be able to beat his man off the dribble occasionally, too.

C - Stith - He'll need to be the man down low. We'll add some rebounding ability at the other positions (other than PF) that we haven't had, but he's going to need to be a double-double guy for us.
02-15-2016 10:33 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

Caver
Stith
Talley
Kah
Stith
02-15-2016 10:49 PM
blewbyu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: odu
Tre Evans and BJ Stith with Brandon Stith,Trey Porter, and Kah...... Go big and go far or go small and go home!!!!!!
02-16-2016 09:48 AM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2016 09:48 AM)blewbyu Wrote:  Tre Evans and BJ Stith with Brandon Stith,Trey Porter, and Kah...... Go big and go far or go small and go home!!!!!!

Who exactly plays on the wing in that lineup?
02-16-2016 10:02 AM
FearTheLion Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU Monarchs
(02-15-2016 06:12 PM)ODUR8R Wrote:  I'm ready for 2016-17. What is your best five?

Here's what I have...

If he rolls out yet another undersized group like this one would be, I'm going to blow a gasket. As a legit D-1 contender, I really hope we can have someone on the floor taller than 6' 7".

I think about all of the 80's when we started 6' 10', 6' 9" and 6' 6" and subbed them with 6'9", 6' 8", and 7'0" at the 5,4, and 3 positions respectively. What in the world has happened to our level of expectations?
02-16-2016 10:26 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-16-2016 10:26 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  

Here's what I have...

If he rolls out yet another undersized group like this one would be, I'm going to blow a gasket. As a legit D-1 contender, I really hope we can have someone on the floor taller than 6' 7".

I think about all of the 80's when we started 6' 10', 6' 9" and 6' 6" and subbed them with 6'9", 6' 8", and 7'0" at the 5,4, and 3 positions respectively. What in the world has happened to our level of expectations?

This isn't 80s basketball anymore. Mid majors aren't going to compete with the big boys by trying to out muscle them or with big lineups. They compete with spacing and efficiency.
02-16-2016 10:33 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(02-16-2016 10:33 AM)Gilesfan Wrote:  
(02-16-2016 10:26 AM)FearTheLion Wrote:  

Here's what I have...

This isn't 80s basketball anymore. Mid majors aren't going to compete with the big boys by trying to out muscle them or with big lineups. They compete with spacing and efficiency.

This is true. All the players leaving early make it really hard for mids to get big guys. Hell its hard for blue bloods to get good players that are 6-10. There just aren't that many of them, and when they only stick around for 1 or 2 years, that means that the good teams are gobbling up 2 to 4 times as many of them as they were in the past. 6'7" Power forwards are not abnormal anymore. We do however need one bigger guy in the middle, as I will agree that 6'7" across the front line is a bit on the small side. That said, if you have good guards and a 4 that can stretch, you don't need much other than rebounding from your center.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2016 10:39 AM by Monarchblue.)
02-16-2016 10:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.