Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NFL offseason thread
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
NFL offseason thread
Hey everyone, we've got way too many NFL threads. I've alerted BlazerJoe and he agrees we need to cut down on them and funnel them into a couple threads, like we have with MLB. This one is for all NFL comments that aren't about the Super Bowl.

In a couple days we'll be locking all those other NFL threads
02-06-2016 04:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: NFL offseason thread
Does the server charge per thread??

Sorry seems a little ridiculous when the College Sports board has 80 ja-gillion threads. Plus you've got Pro Sports buried as a sub-board of a board, to begin with.
02-06-2016 04:31 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-06-2016 04:31 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Does the server charge per thread??

Sorry seems a little ridiculous when the College Sports board has 80 ja-gillion threads. Plus you've got Pro Sports buried as a sub-board of a board, to begin with.

just because the college board has all those threads doesn't make it a good idea. We don't need a thread about how the Pro Bowl needs to go away. That can go in a general NFL thread. We don't need a separate thread about Manziel, or about the Texans and Raiders playing a game in Mexico City. The baseball fans get along just fine with one general thread. I mean, a thread about most popular NFL jerseys by state? That doesn't need it's own thread
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 04:35 PM by flyingswoosh.)
02-06-2016 04:34 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I guess you don't "need" posters to actually post anything on this (sub-)forum, either.

I just don't get the appeal of being so authoritarian in the micro-management of the thread count. What problem does it solve?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 05:42 PM by MplsBison.)
02-06-2016 05:41 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-06-2016 05:41 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I guess you don't "need" posters to actually post anything on this (sub-)forum, either.

I just don't get the appeal of being so authoritarian in the micro-management of the thread count. What problem does it solve?

Simply because it looks ridiculous. I just propose to clean up this "(sub)forum" a bit. Can't hurt to make it look a little cleaner, no?
02-06-2016 05:56 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
I don't understand the push back. Figured this would be better for all visitors to this "(sub)forum." People wouldn't have to open every single thread to state their opinions. This just seems more efficient
02-06-2016 05:58 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I don't think there's much use in debating it. Your proposal gets at the very core ideology of why forums/boards even allow the creation of threads in the first place. After all, why not just have a single giant thread where all people post all thoughts on all topics? People would be free to read and reply to the relevant posts, in the thread.
02-06-2016 06:17 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-06-2016 06:17 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  I don't think there's much use in debating it. Your proposal gets at the very core ideology of why forums/boards even allow the creation of threads in the first place. After all, why not just have a single giant thread where all people post all thoughts on all topics? People would be free to read and reply to the relevant posts, in the thread.

I think that's a bit extreme. The Sports Bar is a general forum for a variety of topics. I honestly thought people would like it better if this board was a bit cleaner. I believe the baseball fans like the hot stove/offseason thread for those topics and the regular season thread for in season discussion. If people are vehemently against it then fine, but I really thought it would just make things cleaner. It's not like some of those NFL threads are getting a slew of comments. The game in mexico city thread has like 1 reply.

And I don't think this should be some hard and fast rule where you stick to two main threads. MLB had a Hall of fame thread as well. I was just thinking that a general thread might make more sense for some of those topics that we all know most people aren't going to care about. I feel like some of them really don't need their own thread.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 09:00 PM by flyingswoosh.)
02-06-2016 08:57 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Back to the OP. Manziel. Sad story and the guy needs help. A family intervention right now! This is the same guy that was caught in Las Vegas wearing a moustache and wig disguise while under concussion protocol. He is in denial that he has any problem and can handle it and that is the sign of a person with an addiction to alcohol or drugs. He had a chance to become a quality NFL stating QB IMO with putting in the work and dedication to get better. Obviously, that matters little now and takes a back seat to getting his life situation straightened out before it is too late.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 09:18 PM by UCGrad1992.)
02-06-2016 09:16 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Many of the NFL posts involve NFL realignment or expansion talk. This stuff used to be posted on college football realignment board because many people who were interested in college football realignment were also interested in NFL realignment, then all those NFLrealignment posts got moved to the pro sports board.

Maybe there should be a pro sports realignment sub-board, because that's all I am really interested in, is the stuff related to realignment or expansion or rule changes.

The fact that you just lumped them all together as generic NFL threads tells me that you don't really even understand what the common theme was to all these threads. Most of them are about realignment.
02-06-2016 09:26 PM
goofus Offline
All American

(02-06-2016 05:58 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  I don't understand the push back. Figured this would be better for all visitors to this "(sub)forum." People wouldn't have to open every single thread to state their opinions. This just seems more efficient

I don't believe people intentionally post threads that they think won't get any responses. But sometimes you can be wrong. It happens. Sometimes threads just die a quick death.
02-06-2016 09:41 PM
Advertisement

flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-06-2016 09:26 PM)goofus Wrote:  Many of the NFL posts involve NFL realignment or expansion talk. This stuff used to be posted on college football realignment board because many people who were interested in college football realignment were also interested in NFL realignment, then all those NFLrealignment posts got moved to the pro sports board.

Maybe there should be a pro sports realignment sub-board, because that's all I am really interested in, is the stuff related to realignment or expansion or rule changes.

The fact that you just lumped them all together as generic NFL threads tells me that you don't really even understand what the common theme was to all these threads. Most of them are about realignment.

wait, are you serious, you only care about NFL realignment? Don't want to come off like a d*ck, but how can you not be a fan of the NFL, but be interested in NFL realignment? I mean, does anyone outside of the NFL care about NFL realignment? You're blowing my mind right now
02-06-2016 10:37 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Believe it or not, there are people who care a great deal about NCAA conference realignment who then don't even really watch or follow college football or college basketball.

It's akin to discussing politics, I guess. It's a hobby.

So that said, two final thoughts:

1) I think the Pro Sports forum should be at the same level as the College Sports (and Conf Realignment) forum. I see no reason why it should be buried in the "Sports Bar" forum. If a formal request to that end is warranted, I'll gladly be the one to make it.

2) swoosh, I appreciate you sticking to your guns. Your sentiment on thread management is valid. It's just completely different than how things are run in the College Sports forum, for the most part. I suppose volume has a lot to do with that, as well.
02-07-2016 09:34 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators
NFL offseason thread
For what it's worth, I agree with Bison. Distinct subjects deserve their own threads. It can be very difficult to follow (and participate) in a discussion when there are multiple subjects being debated in one thread. Especially if I don't care about one or two of them.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 10:18 AM by Brookes Owl.)
02-07-2016 10:18 AM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-07-2016 10:18 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  For what it's worth, I agree with Bison. Distinct subjects deserve their own threads. It can be very difficult to follow (and participate) in a discussion when there are multiple subjects being debated in one thread. Especially if I don't care about one or two of them.

that's really why I think a hybrid of the two ideas would work best. Major topics like realignment or the trade deadline should have their own threads, but smaller, less overarching topics, might be better suited to a general thread. I know I'd be a little lost on the college forum with every idea being given its own thread. I definitely don't think it's automatically a good idea because that's how the college forum does it, but again, if that's what everyone wants then I'm not the Stalin of this forum.
02-07-2016 12:34 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-07-2016 09:34 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Believe it or not, there are people who care a great deal about NCAA conference realignment who then don't even really watch or follow college football or college basketball.

It's akin to discussing politics, I guess. It's a hobby.

So that said, two final thoughts:

1) I think the Pro Sports forum should be at the same level as the College Sports (and Conf Realignment) forum. I see no reason why it should be buried in the "Sports Bar" forum. If a formal request to that end is warranted, I'll gladly be the one to make it.

2) swoosh, I appreciate you sticking to your guns. Your sentiment on thread management is valid. It's just completely different than how things are run in the College Sports forum, for the most part. I suppose volume has a lot to do with that, as well.

If I recall, it didn't used to be, but we had a lot of baseball fans disappear years ago and the forum lost a lot of its traffic. But then a couple years ago we got a couple new visitors who posted a lot, and all of a sudden the forum was generating a lot more traffic. I think it can definitely be moved back to the status it once had
02-07-2016 12:36 PM
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

(02-06-2016 10:37 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 09:26 PM)goofus Wrote:  Many of the NFL posts involve NFL realignment or expansion talk. This stuff used to be posted on college football realignment board because many people who were interested in college football realignment were also interested in NFL realignment, then all those NFLrealignment posts got moved to the pro sports board.

wait, are you serious, you only care about NFL realignment? Don't want to come off like a d*ck, but how can you not be a fan of the NFL, but be interested in NFL realignment? I mean, does anyone outside of the NFL care about NFL realignment? You're blowing my mind right now

Yes, it's amazing to find out not everybody thinks like you isn't it? Just like wanting to have 1 ongoing random thread for all MLB topics blows my mind. But I think there is room for compromise with your hybrid idea.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 01:17 PM by goofus.)
02-07-2016 01:17 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(02-06-2016 04:04 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  Hey everyone, we've got way too many NFL threads. I've alerted BlazerJoe and he agrees we need to cut down on them and funnel them into a couple threads, like we have with MLB. This one is for all NFL comments that aren't about the Super Bowl.

Really?

Its about time this forum actually had a lot of postings..otherwise its dead.
02-07-2016 01:23 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-07-2016 01:23 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 04:04 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  Hey everyone, we've got way too many NFL threads. I've alerted BlazerJoe and he agrees we need to cut down on them and funnel them into a couple threads, like we have with MLB. This one is for all NFL comments that aren't about the Super Bowl.

Really?

Its about time this forum actually had a lot of postings..otherwise its dead.

postings, yes
02-07-2016 01:26 PM
flyingswoosh Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Crappies
(02-07-2016 01:17 PM)goofus Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 10:37 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

Yes, it's amazing to find out not everybody thinks like you isn't it? Just like wanting to have 1 ongoing random thread for all MLB topics blows my mind. But I think there is room for compromise with your hybrid idea.

oh believe me, my thoughts and notions are fungible. I wasn't criticizing, merely astonished that NFL realignment could be such an important topic to anyone outside of the people whom it directly affects. I mean, wasn't the NFL realigned into four 4-team divisions not too long ago? Has there been any inclination that it's going to happen again any time soon? And if not isn't the discussion over?
02-07-2016 01:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.