Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Week 5 Edition: Who will NOT win in Baltimore (and those that might)
Bookmark and Share
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
With Week 5 wrapped up, how did teams fare in moving up or down in the ratings?

As usual, teams are graded 0-10 on the following categories:

* Coaching
* Veteran presences
* Depth (both quality and quantity)
* Turnover success (creation on defense and avoidance on offense)
* Control of the paint (offensive putbacks and shot changing/blocking)
* Free throw shooting (who can make them with tired legs?)

I have provided the changes since last week for each category, to show how teams have moved up or down with the new information at hand.

Enjoy!

Thru Week 5: Teams that will not win in Baltimore

Delaware

Coaching: 0
Veteran Presences: 6
Depth: 1
Turnover Success: 0
Control of the Paint: 5
Free Throw Shooting: 4 (+ 1)
TOTAL SCORE: 16 (+ 1)

Not much has changed for Delaware. The only area that have improved in is Free Throw Shooting, where they now rank 6th in the league in CAA-only
games.

Elon

Coaching: 6 (+ 1)
Veteran Presences: 4
Depth: 4
Turnover Success: 2
Control of the Paint: 3 (+ 2)
Free Throw Shooting: 0
TOTAL SCORE: 19 (+ 3)

After a 2-point loss to Hofstra and a victory over Northeastern, the Phoneix showed they can still be a threat for an upset. They blocked 4 Hofstra shots and were only -3 on the boards in that contest. Against Northeastern, they outrebounded the Huskies (44-29) and blocked a couple shots. But keep in mind that a lot of teams have been controlling the paint against Northeastern while Quincy Ford has been out. Still, these are steps in the right direction for a mostly overmatched squad.

Charleston

Coaching: 6
Veteran Presences: 2
Depth: 5
Turnover Success: 5
Control of the Paint: 3
Free Throw Shooting: 2 (+ 1)
TOTAL SCORE: 26 (+ 1)

Charleston went 1-1 on the weekend, with a victory over Northeastern and hard fought loss against UNCW. They displayed mostly what they have been for the last few weeks after the loss of Canyon Barry, though their FT shooting has improved slightly.

Drexel

Coaching: 1
Depth: 3
Turnover Success: 9
Control of the Paint: 3 (-1)
Free Throw Shooting: 8
TOTAL SCORE: 28 (- 1)

The Dragons lost 2 close games to Towson and Hofstra this week, proving they're still willing to fight. However, their previous strength, post play, has evaporated among their short list of advantages. Drexel is still decent at blocking or changing shots on the inside, but their rebounding abilities have taken a bit of a nose dive the last few weeks. They will need to block out better to have a shot at making it to the CAA Quarterfinals.

Teams that might win in Baltimore

Northeastern

Coaching: 9 (- 1)
Veteran Presences: 5 (- 2)
Depth: 1 (- 1)
Turnover Success: 7
Control of the Paint: 0 (- 2)
Free Throw Shooting: 9
TOTAL SCORE: 31 (- 6)

The wheels are falling off for the Huskies, who have now lost 4 straight contests. Quincy Ford's continued absence is a huge factor, but no longer can be considered the only reason for the team's failings. His absence has merely highlighted bigger problems: Lack of depth behind him and lack of other interior presences. Ford could not have hoped to replace the graduation of Sean Eatherton all on his own, and promising freshman Jeremy Miller, much like many freshmen big men who take time to develop, was not ready for the starting role he was thrust into. Coach Coen will need to make major adjustments to have his team ready for the tournament a month from now, as currently, the Huskies are headed for the play-in round after starting CAA play 3-0.

Hofstra

Coaching: 5 (+ 1)
Veteran Presences: 10
Depth: 0
Turnover Success: 6 (- 1)
Control of the Paint: 9
Free Throw Shooting: 2 (- 1)
TOTAL SCORE: 32 (- 1)

The Pride labored through a pair of close wins against Elon and Drexel this past week. Though this made them winners of 6 of their last 7, yours truly continues to wonder if the overworked starting 5 is starting to wear down. Denton Koon totaled 75 minutes, Juan'Ya Green 74, and Brian Bernardi 71 in the 2 contests this past week. With a red hot UNCW team coming into Hempstead Thursday night for a tilt that will determine who is 1st place on their own, their endurance could be tested.

Best bets to win in Baltimore

Towson

Coaching: 7
Veteran Presences: 8
Depth: 3
Turnover Success: 1 (+ 1)
Control of the Paint: 10
Free Throw Shooting: 6
TOTAL SCORE: 35 (+ 1)

The Tigers continue to build momentum towards the final CAA Conference Tournament in their own backyard, at least for the near future. They continue to dominate the posts and have a very strong starting 5, which led to a pair of victories over the past week. As a result, they jump into the group of teams I feel have the best shot at winning the title for the first time.

James Madison

Coaching: 6
Veteran Presences: 10
Depth: 9
Turnover Success: 3 (- 1)
Control of the Paint: 6 (-1)
Free Throw Shooting: 2 (- 2)
TOTAL SCORE: 36 (- 2)

JMU dropped a pair of tough games last week to UNCW and W&M, losing both their overall winning streak (6) and road winning streak (7) in the process, and free throw shooting was a major reason why. Yohanny Dalemberty in particular was a miserable 4-10 in the Seahawk game, with a pair of airballs to boot, and as a squad the Dukes were 59.6 % from the stripe in the 2 games. This weakness could be taken full advantage of in the CAA Tournament if it is not improved. In addition, the Dukes turned the ball over 15 times against the Tribe and were outrebounded 50-35 against UNCW. These were previously not major flaws for the Dukes but will also need to get sorted out down the stretch.

UNCW

Coaching: 7
Depth: 6 (- 1)
Turnover Success: 9
Control of the Paint: 7 (+ 2)
Free Throw Shooting: 6 (- 1)
TOTAL SCORE: 39

The Seahawks do not improve their overall rating despite improving their winning streak to 7, because everything they were doing positively before this week are continuing to show up just as they were. Moreover, they have a brutal finish to their schedule, and thus their prior schedule strength has to be taken into account. Still, with the continuing emergence of CJ Gettys and Chuck Ogbodo in the interior, this team is looking legit. An upset in Hampstead Thursday night is not far-fetched.

William & Mary

Coaching: 10
Veteran Presences: 9
Depth: 7 (- 1)
Turnover Success: 4 (+ 3)
Control of the Paint: 7
Free Throw Shooting: 7 (+ 1)
TOTAL SCORE: 44 (+ 3)

Somewhat quietly, W&M improved their positioning in the standings with a pair of wins. They exorcized some demons with their victory against Delaware, who they've struggled with in a big way in the past, and also protected their home floor against a strong road team in JMU. The Tribe only committed 12 turnovers combined in the 2 games, improving in an area of weakness in a big way. Their depth has become somewhat constrained to whether Connor Burchfield happens to be hot from the perimeter, but at the very least their bench players are able to defend capably and keep their starters rested for the long haul of the season. W&M remains the top contender to win the league, as they have been in these ratings every week.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2016 05:28 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-02-2016 05:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Again... Stellar work here. Almost completely objective.
02-03-2016 05:42 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Week 5 Edition: Who will NOT win in Baltimore (and those that might)
Pretty good no doubt, at this stage though, it's tough to put Hofstra out of the top tier. I'm surprised you only have us ranked 6th in depth. I'd argue we should be the top spot in the league there
02-03-2016 08:02 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
I find it a bit ironic our score keeps going up each week despite no more victories yet.
02-03-2016 08:27 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 08:27 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I find it a bit ironic our score keeps going up each week despite no more victories yet.

Morale victories.....
02-03-2016 08:42 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2016 08:42 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 08:27 AM)dan10 Wrote:  I find it a bit ironic our score keeps going up each week despite no more victories yet.

Morale victories.....

The last thing this team needs at this point in the season is morale. No reason to give our administration any glimmer of hope/reason to extend Bruiser.
02-03-2016 09:21 AM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(02-03-2016 09:21 AM)dan10 Wrote:  

Morale victories.....

The last thing this team needs at this point in the season is morale. No reason to give our administration any glimmer of hope/reason to extend Bruiser.

This is why I like you. LOL
02-03-2016 09:32 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Morale victories.....

I agree with you, but apparently 08 must give points for moral victories
02-03-2016 10:05 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2016 10:05 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Morale victories.....

We dont have any morals either, we sold our soul to Bruiser, who might as well be the devil (not as a person or recruiter, just as an actual coach)
02-03-2016 10:07 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 10:07 AM)dan10 Wrote:  

Morale victories.....

We dont have any morals either, we sold our soul to Bruiser, who might as well be the devil (not as a person or recruiter, just as an actual coach)
You have officially become like the Indians fan that sits in the bleachers in the movie Major League :)
02-03-2016 10:13 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2016 10:13 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 10:07 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 08:42 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Morale victories.....

You have officially become like the Indians fan that sits in the bleachers in the movie Major League :)

Great movie. Ill take it, at least this season. Sadly my stance is where everyone is at right now, too bad our team cant threaten to relocate
02-03-2016 10:30 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 08:02 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Pretty good no doubt, at this stage though, it's tough to put Hofstra out of the top tier. I'm surprised you only have us ranked 6th in depth. I'd argue we should be the top spot in the league there

It's a 0-10 scale rating, not a ranking.

And we've been steadily dropping in that area because 3 of our 4 freshmen and guys like Ponder and Sherwood have been dropping in PT while we emphasize Ingram and Flemmings more. We're carving out a more typical rotation and while we have a lot of guys available, our depth quality is merely above average in my mind, not tops in the league.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 11:30 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-03-2016 11:26 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

Your score went down a point. Jeez do you people know how to read? lol.
02-03-2016 11:27 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 11:26 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 08:02 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Pretty good no doubt, at this stage though, it's tough to put Hofstra out of the top tier. I'm surprised you only have us ranked 6th in depth. I'd argue we should be the top spot in the league there

Right, i get that, my point was i don't think anyone in the league should eb ranked higher than us for that line.
02-03-2016 11:30 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 11:30 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Right, i get that, my point was i don't think anyone in the league should eb ranked higher than us for that line.

We're the 3rd-ranked team in depth according to my rankings. I have W&M and JMU higher. That's it. JMU has like 7 upperclassmen in their 8/9-man rotation. W&M has a similar situation.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 11:37 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-03-2016 11:36 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2016 11:27 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Your score went down a point. Jeez do you people know how to read? lol.

Yes we do my point was more from where things started no just from last week to this week. The fact that we have 3 teams below us (passing CofC along the way) is comical to me since we still havent won any games. Then again its all in fun and you do a good job.
02-03-2016 11:43 AM
Advertisement

dan10 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2016 11:30 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 11:26 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Right, i get that, my point was i don't think anyone in the league should eb ranked higher than us for that line.

Its arbitrary, SN08 has opinions too (and in this case his rule the roost)!
02-03-2016 11:44 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 11:43 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Yes we do my point was more from where things started no just from last week to this week. The fact that we have 3 teams below us (passing CofC along the way) is comical to me since we still havent won any games. Then again its all in fun and you do a good job.

Well, remember that the first week I did this I was using a combination of both OOC play and CAA play. Once I moved to CAA-only numbers the ratings changed pretty dramatically. Drexel has performed significantly better in conference play than OOC, even if isn't showing up in the standings.

Since then, Drexel hasn't been increasing much. The bigger factor has been teams like Elon and Charleston moving DOWN due to injuries and such. And of course Delaware being horrifically bad.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2016 12:09 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-03-2016 12:09 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 11:44 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Its arbitrary, SN08 has opinions too (and in this case his rule the roost)!

Not really. I defend my opinions but mostly I create these just to have good discussion.
02-03-2016 12:10 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-03-2016 12:10 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(02-03-2016 11:44 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Its arbitrary, SN08 has opinions too (and in this case his rule the roost)!

Not really. I defend my opinions but mostly I create these just to have good discussion.

He's our personal jon stewart
02-03-2016 12:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.