Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UNCW @ JMU predictions
Bookmark and Share
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
UNCW @ JMU predictions
The Seahawks owned JMU last year with 2 double digit wins. This is a great chance for JMU to even things out and put some separation between themselves and other top tier teams in the CAA.

I won't say UNCW is a fraud this year, but they have benefitted greatly from a weak schedule (252nd in nation). In fact 5 of their 6 CAA wins have come against Drexel 2x, Delaware 2x, and Elon.

Their style however is JMU'S Kryptonite with tons of ball pressure. Curry will need to take charge and demand the ball moreso than normal. He is not a dribbling magician though and his right hand dominance is easier to defend by those that know his tendencies.

Keys to the game...
Win the rebound battle significantly to offset the likely deficit in turnovers.
Coax UNCW to shoot alot of 3pters with the zone. They are a below avg 3 ball team and if the Dukes can identify Flemings and Ingram, then the others should miss plenty. The rest of the team shoots 29% from downtown.
This game is begging for a zone defense.

Flemings is a great story BTW. Former 2 year player at Barton college who walked on to the UNCW team. Now he is their best offensive player in his first year as a redshirt Junior averaging 16 and 6. Crazy. Also makes me wonder if there was some shady accounting in Wilmington. If he was that good, why didn't any programs offer him a scholarship? Was he "taken care of" during his redshirt season? Valid questions.

You have to win CAA home games! I'm trusting the crowd will be much bigger than normal. Home court advantage sways the outcome.

JMU 78
UNCW 74
01-26-2016 07:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
RE: UNCW @ JMU predictions
UNCW and William and Mary are the teams that whipped us bad both times last year. We have a lot of momentum but we come up short, 73-72 UNCW. A sloppy pass or two and poor free throw shooting will be the reasons for the heart breaker.
01-26-2016 07:58 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(01-26-2016 07:24 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  ...Flemings is a great story BTW. Former 2 year player at Barton college who walked on to the UNCW team. Now he is their best offensive player in his first year as a redshirt Junior averaging 16 and 6. Crazy. Also makes me wonder if there was some shady accounting in Wilmington. If he was that good, why didn't any programs offer him a scholarship? Was he "taken care of" during his redshirt season? Valid questions...

Correct me if I am wrong, but NCAA athletes often are awarded other types of scholarships to help cover their education when they are not on a full scholly.
01-26-2016 08:04 AM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

JMU - 76

UNCW - 71

The streak continues
01-26-2016 08:04 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
UNCW @ JMU predictions
(01-26-2016 07:24 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Also makes me wonder if there was some shady accounting in Wilmington. If he was that good, why didn't any programs offer him a scholarship? Was he "taken care of" during his redshirt season? Valid questions.

I'll just hold on to this little jab for later.

Noted.
01-26-2016 08:34 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

UNCW @ JMU predictions
Wait, why later? Just disprove his silly claim now.
01-26-2016 08:45 AM
Advertisement

jmad1son Offline
Special Teams

I hope I am wrong....

UNCW 78
JMU 75
01-26-2016 09:23 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(01-26-2016 07:24 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Coax UNCW to shoot alot of 3pters with the zone. They are a below avg 3 ball team and if the Dukes can identify Flemings and Ingram, then the others should miss plenty. The rest of the team shoots 29% from downtown.

In CAA-only games, we are the league's # 1 three-point shooting team (.396). It's fine and good to say we're reliant on 2 guys for our three-point shooting (not really true...Ponder is 9-24 and Bryce is 4-11 from 3 in CAA play) but I'm not sure how you are going to account for BOTH with a zone? Other teams have tried and failed at this. Particularly W&M, who watched Ingram drain 8 of 13 threes against it.
(This post was last modified: 01-26-2016 09:51 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-26-2016 09:49 AM
jmu82 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Dukes
(01-26-2016 09:49 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 07:24 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Coax UNCW to shoot alot of 3pters with the zone. They are a below avg 3 ball team and if the Dukes can identify Flemings and Ingram, then the others should miss plenty. The rest of the team shoots 29% from downtown.

In CAA-only games, we are the league's # 1 three-point shooting team (.396). It's fine and good to say we're reliant on 2 guys for our three-point shooting (not really true...Ponder is 9-24 and Bryce is 4-11 from 3 in CAA play) but I'm not sure how you are going to account for BOTH with a zone? Other teams have tried and failed at this. Particularly W&M, who watched Ingram drain 8 of 13 threes against it.

Perhaps nit-picking here, but i also don't think you have to "coax" the W to shoot 3's. That's pretty much what they do. Me thinks they'll be more then happy to shoot a bunch of 3's.
01-26-2016 10:03 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

UNCW @ JMU predictions
I like the Seahawks fans. They are the most diehard and loyal in the CAA.

I just want to know who are the brown bag men of Wilmington that covered Flemings' $16,000 tuition last year when he "walked on" and redshirted.
01-26-2016 10:57 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2016 09:49 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

And you'll be going up against the CAAs' best FG defense against 3 pointers at 23%. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. JMU is a full 10 points better than the 2nd place team in that category. Hoping the fans really turn out for this game. Averaging 2700 is pretty putrid.
01-26-2016 11:11 AM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

UNCW @ JMU predictions
(01-26-2016 10:57 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I like the Seahawks fans. They are the most diehard and loyal in the CAA.

I just want to know who are the brown bag men of Wilmington that covered Flemings' $16,000 tuition last year when he "walked on" and redshirted.

.jpg  ImageUploadedByCSNbbs1453826249.453390.jpg (Size: 259.51 KB / Downloads: 63)
01-26-2016 11:44 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2016 08:04 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 07:24 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  ...Flemings is a great story BTW. Former 2 year player at Barton college who walked on to the UNCW team. Now he is their best offensive player in his first year as a redshirt Junior averaging 16 and 6. Crazy. Also makes me wonder if there was some shady accounting in Wilmington. If he was that good, why didn't any programs offer him a scholarship? Was he "taken care of" during his redshirt season? Valid questions...

Correct me if I am wrong, but NCAA athletes often are awarded other types of scholarships to help cover their education when they are not on a full scholly.

This is true. But several years ago the NCAA passed a rule where you cannot mix-match Athletic Scholarships with other scholarships from a school. In effect no double dipping from a school.
01-26-2016 11:49 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2016 11:49 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

This is true. But several years ago the NCAA passed a rule where you cannot mix-match Athletic Scholarships with other scholarships from a school. In effect no double dipping from a school.

What if he brings his own scholarships? For instance: my daughter will be illegible for many smaller scholarships, i.e. Marine Corps veteran scholarship, my employer offers two different scholarships, and my church has some, I'm sure we will uncover many more when the time comes, but just with these three alone over half or her education can be taken care of. Are these type opportunities allowed by the NCAA if an athlete is a walk-on or on a partial?
01-26-2016 12:03 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(01-26-2016 12:03 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 11:49 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  

What if he brings his own scholarships? For instance: my daughter will be illegible for many smaller scholarships, i.e. Marine Corps veteran scholarship, my employer offers two different scholarships, and my church has some, I'm sure we will uncover many more when the time comes, but just with these three alone over half or her education can be taken care of. Are these type opportunities allowed by the NCAA if an athlete is a walk-on or on a partial?

To my knowledge that is fine, when they are outside scholarships.

The restriction is you can no longer offer a student for example a partial athletic scholarship and then make up the difference with a financial aid type scholarship. That was very much being abused (aka - working the system). From a school you can either get athletic scholarship (partial or full) OR financial aid type $$$ from the school NOT both.
01-26-2016 12:32 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

UNCW @ JMU predictions
If you want some more fodder for the pregame smack...
Let's talk about coach Keatts career at Louisville (he refuses to talk about it).

Are we to believe he knew nothing about the brothel Louisville basketball was running in their dorm? Are we to believe he was the lead recruiter but didn't show recruits a good time?
Perhaps he got his own carrot waxed?
01-26-2016 12:45 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

(01-26-2016 11:11 AM)olddawg Wrote:  And you'll be going up against the CAAs' best FG defense against 3 pointers at 23%. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. JMU is a full 10 points better than the 2nd place team in that category. Hoping the fans really turn out for this game. Averaging 2700 is pretty putrid.

It will be interesting indeed. Am I correct in guessing that you mostly play man-to-man?
01-26-2016 02:16 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(01-26-2016 02:16 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(01-26-2016 11:11 AM)olddawg Wrote:  And you'll be going up against the CAAs' best FG defense against 3 pointers at 23%. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out. JMU is a full 10 points better than the 2nd place team in that category. Hoping the fans really turn out for this game. Averaging 2700 is pretty putrid.

It will be interesting indeed. Am I correct in guessing that you mostly play man-to-man?

We do play mostly man to man, but coach will mix it up in the second half especially. A little 1-3-1 trap and sometimes zone. Northeastern was starting to score consistently on our man and coach switched to zone which ended up being effective.
01-26-2016 02:51 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-26-2016 02:51 PM)Dukesfan71 Wrote:  We do play mostly man to man, but coach will mix it up in the second half especially. A little 1-3-1 trap and sometimes zone. Northeastern was starting to score consistently on our man and coach switched to zone which ended up being effective.

Ah gotcha. Yes, the 1-3-1 can be a tough nut to crack.
01-26-2016 03:01 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Why is ball pressure so bad vs JMU? You guys have decent guards and aren't terrible with TO%. UNCW pressure is good but hope not using the WVU game as a comparable.

UNCW beat WM in OT but WM didn't have Dixon. UNCW also lost at home to NE despite no TJ Williams or Stahl who had some curfew violation. Pretty big because NE has little depth.

I think JMU is a bit overrated right now because of the 3 point defense. There is almost zero chance teams will continue shooting 23% vs JMU's defense (current in conference 3pt % defense). Its such an random occurance its actually pretty obscene. The best 3 point defense in the country is Akron's right now at 26.6 and 3 point defense % is almost entirely not predictive moving forward.

http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/...ponents_3p
http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/...ponents_3p

That being said UNCW built up a lot of their rating bullying trash teams. When you play full court pressure against teams who don't handle the ball well it inflates scores/power ratings. That being said they are obviously a good team and coach is doing a great job of improving the squad there. When I think they are overrated its not by a lot. I just think against comparable teams they have underperformed their current 98th kenpom rating.

Should be a good game and will go a long way towards deciding who wins the regular season.
01-26-2016 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.