Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Speaking of spin-offs, I can't believe..
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Speaking of spin-offs, I can't believe..
Will Smith hasn't done a Fresh Prince spin-off or revival. He loves to force his children into everything and he could have his whole family on the show. The only person that can't come back is the late James Avery but he could have sitcom focusing on Will as an adult.
01-25-2016 11:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
RE: Speaking of spin-offs, I can't believe..
if I remember right, he's not a huge fan of it, but mainly I think because he thought he was a horrible actor during that period. But he's also always been a good sport with it, popping up to sing the theme here and there.
01-26-2016 08:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

He's the same actor in every movie. And even if he's not a big fan of it, lots of people are and it's the show that put him on the Hollywood map.
01-26-2016 02:37 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

I Root For: Tigers!

Donators
way more risk than reward. Would be really difficult to put out something that is modern to keep audiences, while keeping the old charm that got people originally. Odds are it would have massive ratings for a few episodes and then has a chance to turn real ugly.
01-26-2016 04:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-25-2016 11:35 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  Will Smith hasn't done a Fresh Prince spin-off or revival. He loves to force his children into everything and he could have his whole family on the show. The only person that can't come back is the late James Avery but he could have sitcom focusing on Will as an adult.

The was good for the time it was on, no need to live on past glory like that.

However, him and Jazzy Jeff need to back in the studio and start kicking out jams again.
01-26-2016 05:05 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Here's something interesting: Last year Will Smith was older than James Avery was in the opening season of the show. Hard to believe.

I agree with others though, a new spin-off/reboot would not work today and the show would likely get canned after a year. If they wanted to entertain something they should consider a one time special reunion episode like shows used to do in the past (sitcoms like The Brady Bunch and Saved By the Bell have done these). A good premise of the show could be they all return to Bel Air to attend Uncle Phil's funeral and Will agrees to take in Ashley's troubled teen-aged son.
01-26-2016 05:14 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(01-26-2016 04:52 PM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  way more risk than reward. Would be really difficult to put out something that is modern to keep audiences, while keeping the old charm that got people originally. Odds are it would have massive ratings for a few episodes and then has a chance to turn real ugly.

I'm sure it could find a niche on one of those random cable channels like all of those random sitcoms on random networks, like a Comedy Central. They don't have to be on a major network in primetime.

(01-26-2016 05:05 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  The was good for the time it was on, no need to live on past glory like that.

However, him and Jazzy Jeff need to back in the studio and start kicking out jams again.

You have it in reverse. The biggest criticisms of Will's raps over the years was that they weren't gangsta enough, that they didn't "keep it real," whatever that means. He even bragged about it at the MTV Awards one year (Eminem joked about it on "the Real Slim Shady)." They really wouldn't translate today.

Meanwhile, tFPBA has been off the air for two full decades and it would be fresh to get an update. A reunion, as suggested above, would only leave people asking for more, especially if it was really good.
01-28-2016 01:03 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
I don't think this would work today, as a spin off, is because the show is about the fish out of water aspect, AND the dynamic between the grumpy uncle forced to be a father to his wife's nephew, who also reminded him of himself as a kid, and the smart assed kid moving in. Any retooling would have to basically be an entire different premise, with just the updated versions of the kid characters as adults.

It would not work today, as a reboot, because none of the children characters could play the type of role that Avery did, which made the show work, without being completely unfaithful to their old characters.

I think a similar show could work today, but it would be hard to have it in the same TV universe, be believable, AND retain the original fanbase. Similar to how the Brady Bunch reunions never worked, but the exact same show, with a different cast (Step by Step) did.
01-28-2016 03:32 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

That's why I said spin-off, not reboot. They pick up most of the same characters but create a new premise, as you argued above. It wouldn't even have to center around Will, he could just be a supporting or background character.

Seems to be the consensus is a no on this but it could work as a TBS or Freeform (ABC Family) type show that runs for a few years in syndication imo. We're not talking about NBC's next biggest thing for the next (half of a) decade.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2016 11:04 AM by C2__.)
01-28-2016 06:52 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

11-20-2016 02:17 AM
Advertisement

PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(11-20-2016 02:17 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/art...areer.html

I liked the original a lot.... but I don't see someone out there in the landscape that could be the young, energetic, clean cut, hip hop star looking to make it in acting as well and pull off the "essence" of TFPoBA.
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2016 05:38 PM by PirateTreasureNC.)
11-21-2016 11:41 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I'm guessing that Will the Thrill himself would be involved and be the star of the show.
11-22-2016 02:14 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
According to the article there is a "Coach" re-boot coming out? Anyone got the scoop on that one?
11-23-2016 01:29 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(01-26-2016 04:52 PM)MemTigerFan Wrote:  way more risk than reward. Would be really difficult to put out something that is modern to keep audiences, while keeping the old charm that got people originally. Odds are it would have massive ratings for a few episodes and then has a chance to turn real ugly.

like these:

11-26-2016 11:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.