Donators
USports: Can UAB save Conference USA?
01-25-2016 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: USports: Can UAB save Conference USA?
Good article. I hope UAB doesn't have to run the table for an at-large bid. Sad state of affairs for CUSA Basketball.
01-25-2016 05:31 PM
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
It's pretty much what Memphis did when they were in CUSA just before they left & probably a main reason we're a 1 bid league now w/ the extremely rare at large team. Can't have that .500 P5 feeling left out & get shuffled off to the CBI or NIT
01-25-2016 06:02 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
We've got a long way to go before we come close to duplicating what Memphis did, but I'm starting to feel like what they did their last few years in CUSA.

I actually think it is possible that UAB could get an at-large bid if we run the table but lose in the semis or something of the CUSA tournament. Sure bubble teams will be ticked and everyone would question it, but regardless of the SOS, we would likely get a bid.

Assuming we run the table until the CUSA tournament, we would finish the regular season at 28-3. Moreover, we would certainly be a Top 25 team (if not Top 15) with that type of record and continued momentum. Hard, but not impossible, to see the selection committee passing on a team like that.
01-25-2016 06:59 PM
ranger1386b Offline
2nd String

Were good, very good, but its unreasonable to.assume we will run the table. Weve struggled on the road with some mediocre teams. Marshall is much better than charlotte, and wku is tough and we traditionally struggle in Florida. Id love to see is not loose another game, but i wouldnt bet a dollar on it. We nees to prepare to win the conf tournament.
01-25-2016 07:05 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2016 07:05 PM)ranger1386b Wrote:  Were good, very good, but its unreasonable to.assume we will run the table. Weve struggled on the road with some mediocre teams. Marshall is much better than charlotte, and wku is tough and we traditionally struggle in Florida. Id love to see is not loose another game, but i wouldnt bet a dollar on it. We nees to prepare to win the conf tournament.

Not saying it would be easier to run the table. Just saying I believe it is possible (however small the chance) of getting a bid outside of winning the CUSA tournament. Certainly actually would be easier to win a few games in Birmingham during the CUSA tournament and get there automatically. But should we run the table and win 1 game in the CUSA tournament and not be selected, we would be the first team in NCAA history to win 29 games and not be selected to the NCAA tournament.
01-25-2016 07:10 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-25-2016 06:59 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  We've got a long way to go before we come close to duplicating what Memphis did, but I'm starting to feel like what they did their last few years in CUSA.

I actually think it is possible that UAB could get an at-large bid if we run the table but lose in the semis or something of the CUSA tournament. Sure bubble teams will be ticked and everyone would question it, but regardless of the SOS, we would likely get a bid.

Assuming we run the table until the CUSA tournament, we would finish the regular season at 28-3. Moreover, we would certainly be a Top 25 team (if not Top 15) with that type of record and continued momentum. Hard, but not impossible, to see the selection committee passing on a team like that.

Regardless of the sos is a false statement. The tournament committee does not reward crappy sos's. It's one thing they have been consistent in.
01-25-2016 07:19 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Running the table is going to be almost impossible. @ Loisiana Tech, @ Marshall and @ Middle Tennesee will be games we are underdogs.
01-25-2016 07:22 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-25-2016 07:19 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 06:59 PM)Blazer85 Wrote:  We've got a long way to go before we come close to duplicating what Memphis did, but I'm starting to feel like what they did their last few years in CUSA.

Regardless of the sos is a false statement. The tournament committee does not reward crappy sos's. It's one thing they have been consistent in.

Not saying it would be a guarantee to get in, even in that improbable scenario. Just saying if it happens the way I said in that theoretical scenario (ie, running the table including 1 win in CUSA tournament without winning the tournament) that we would make history as the first team in NCAA history not to make it to the tournament with 29 wins.
01-25-2016 07:29 PM
BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

DonatorsDonators
KenPom currently gives us 44% chance at Marshall, 42% at Tech, and 37% chance at MTSU.
01-25-2016 07:44 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

Easiest and most likely way to the tournament is winning 3 games in Bham in March. Id love for us to run the table but I don't see it happening, I just hope we win the regular season title.
01-25-2016 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

No one member can save an entire conference. It takes at least a few programs being for real to even earn some respect, much less actually get recognized in a meaningful way. If UAB goes on to do something, people aren't going to be talking about C-USA other than to reference how terrible it is or something like that.

We've been saying for most of the season the conference tournament is the only way we're getting in and I still feel that way regardless of what happens with the streak, getting ranked, and all that.
01-25-2016 08:17 PM
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

When UAB knocked off Iowa State, I saw a post online somewhere that said: "wow, so I guess conference USA is legit".

Making waves in the tournament can definitely help the conference. If c-usa can sneak UAB and Middle Tennessee into the tournament, and both teams win at least their first games, then c-usa will be getting more cred.
01-25-2016 08:22 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

CUSA isn't legit. They proved that during the OOC season.
01-25-2016 08:30 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(01-25-2016 08:22 PM)sadolakced Wrote:  If c-usa can sneak UAB and Middle Tennessee into the tournament, and both teams win at least their first games, then c-usa will be getting more cred.

No CUSA will not be getting more cred in your scenario. Are you just choosing to be oblivious to CUSA's SOS, OOC record, and ridiculous conference RPI ranking?
01-25-2016 08:35 PM
sadolakced Offline
Special Teams

More cred than it'd get by putting one team in that loses its first game.
01-25-2016 08:43 PM
Advertisement

Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

That's fair, but I think that'd say more about the programs at UAB and MT respectively as opposed to the conference itself. I like C-USA and I'm grateful we're still in it, but I feel like a run in the tournament wouldn't legitimatize the conference at all.

The only way to help the conference is for every member to help themselves first. Everyone has their eyes on greener pastures and that's perfectly understandable. In the meantime, though, we just have to make the best of where we are. I get that some of the bottom teams straight up don't care about basketball and probably won't for some time to come, but, in the long run, I feel like we'll be okay.
01-25-2016 11:41 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
I don't believe there is a single school in C-USA (or any other conference) that doesn't want to win. Some are just less successful than others, but that is true of some teams in every conference. I don't believe any coach at any school has been hired and told "We don't care that you win. Just put a team out there and play the game and pick up your paycheck". It's just that every team can't finish above average.
01-26-2016 01:04 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(01-25-2016 04:27 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  http://www.todaysu.com/c-usa/can-uab-sav...rence-usa/

I don't think any one program at a single school can save the conference.

But what it does is make us the front runner the next time CUSA gets poached by another league.
01-26-2016 01:09 AM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
And IMHO, I think we could lose 2 and still be given a realistic chance of making the NCAA tournament. As long as neither loss is a WTF, and as long as the tourney loss isn't in our first game. That would put our guys at 28-5. That will be hard to ignore by the committee, even if the SOS is 280+.
01-26-2016 01:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.