Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
New UC coordinator faces two big fixes
New UC coordinator faces two big fixes
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 6:51 p.m. EST January 24, 2016

[Image: 635892556280971725-zacT.jpg]
New University of Cincinnati offensive coordinator Zac Taylor meets the media at his introductory press conference at Fifth Third Arena.
(Photo: The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar)

Zac Taylor is taking charge of a University of Cincinnati football offense that set 18 school records this past season, but there are two key areas that the former Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator must help fix.

While UC ranked No. 6 nationally in total offense at 537.8 yards per game, the Bearcats finished only 7-6 partially because of turnovers and penalties:

UC ranked No. 124 nationally (among 127 Football Bowl Subdivision teams) in turnover margin, at minus-1.46 per game.
The Bearcats tied for 119th nationally in penalties, with 8.0 per game.

Taylor, formally introduced Sunday as the new UC offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach, has been watching video and evaluating personnel as the Bearcats try to clean things up in 2016.

“I can just speak to the philosophy that we’ll bring to the table, not what’s happened in the past,” Taylor said. “In regards to turnovers and penalties, in practice we’ve got to be hard on those guys and make sure that it starts right there, and that it shows up on game day.”

UC head coach Tommy Tuberville introduced Taylor and two other new offensive assistants to the media Sunday, before the UC-Tulane basketball game at Fifth Third Arena. Former Auburn offensive line coach J.B. Grimes will take the same role at UC, and former Miami Dolphins offensive line coach Jim Turner will coach Bearcats running backs.

“When you set 18 school records and you move the ball like we moved it, there’s not a lot that you want to address,” Tuberville said. “Other than the simple fact that, no matter what you do, if you turn it over like we did and have the penalties like we did consistently, you’re not going to win championships.”

UC's offensive records this past season included the most total yards in school history (6,990), but the Bearcats also had their worst won-lost record since a 4-8 showing in 2010.

Other tidbits from Taylor:

“I’m excited to be here. One of the reasons I chose to come here was because I believe in coach Tuberville. There’s high expectations here at Cincinnati, and that’s what I wanted.”
“We’ll be a team that’s a no-huddle team. We’ll be primarily in the shotgun, but we believe in going under center as well. We’ll keep it simple, so they can play fast and play up to their abilities.”
“One of the things I believe about turnovers is we’ll protect the quarterback. I don’t want to drop back 40 times a game. There’s other ways to get the throws. We’ll be under center, do some play action, some screens, help take the pressure off the line and the quarterbacks.
“That all starts with a great run game as well. We’ve got great backs. That’s one of the things I know about this place, is we’ve got some guys that can really go.”

UC returns two of its top three running backs in Mike Boone (749 yards rushing, 9 TDs) and Tion Green (729, 8). Rushing yardage leader Hosey Williams (775, 4) has exhausted his eligibility.

UC loses most of its top wide receivers, but top two quarterbacks Gunner Kiel and Hayden Moore will return. Tuberville said that Kiel has rejoined the team after missing the Bearcats’ Hawaii Bowl game for undisclosed personal reasons.

STAFF OUTLOOK: Taylor will handle the jobs of former UC offensive coordinator Eddie Gran and former quarterbacks coach Darin Hinshaw, who both left for the University of Kentucky.

Turner replaces Gran, who also coached UC running backs.

Grimes replaces Darren Hiller, who was not retained. Hiller since has been hired as offensive line coach at Arkansas State.

No other changes are anticipated on the UC staff for 2016, with the defensive staff led by second-year coordinator Steve Clinkscale. UC ranked No. 78 in total defense this past season, but that was up from No. 96 the year before.

SPRING BALL: UC is scheduled to begin spring practice Feb. 25. The spring game is Saturday, April 2, with time and location to be announced.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../79263820/

01-25-2016 01:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: New UC coordinator faces two big fixes
"I can just speak to the philosophy that we’ll bring to the table, not what’s happened in the past,” Taylor said. “In regards to turnovers and penalties, in practice we’ve got to be hard on those guys and make sure that it starts right there, and that it shows up on game day.”

This statement stood out to me. It was always clear to me that the past offensive staff did not run a very tight ship. It will be interesting to me to see how the players respond if the new coaching staff comes in and is hard on them. I for one look forward to watching an offensive that does not continuously shoot itself in the foot with turnovers, assignment breakdowns and stupid penalties.

01-25-2016 09:38 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:“One of the things I believe about turnovers is we’ll protect the quarterback. I don’t want to drop back 40 times a game. There’s other ways to get the throws. We’ll be under center, do some play action, some screens, help take the pressure off the line and the quarterbacks.
“That all starts with a great run game as well. We’ve got great backs. That’s one of the things I know about this place, is we’ve got some guys that can really go.”

Coach Taylor, you're preachin' to the choir. Please make it happen Sir!

Epic Applause

01-25-2016 10:30 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(01-25-2016 10:30 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
Quote:“One of the things I believe about turnovers is we’ll protect the quarterback. I don’t want to drop back 40 times a game. There’s other ways to get the throws. We’ll be under center, do some play action, some screens, help take the pressure off the line and the quarterbacks.

I'm so thrilled to hear we're actually going to bring some semblance of balance to this offense. Having a person with a professional pedigree will undoubtedly help with not only the x's and o's, but also the Johns and Joes.

01-25-2016 11:02 AM
Advertisement

BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
I think ZT is heir apparent...

01-25-2016 11:04 AM
BearcatMan Offline

(01-25-2016 11:04 AM)BearcatBeta Wrote:  I think ZT is heir apparent...

Seeing as how he left a likely NFL OC job and our current coach has no years on contract after this year, I would assume the same.

01-25-2016 11:21 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(01-25-2016 11:02 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 10:30 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  

I'm so thrilled to hear we're actually going to bring some semblance of balance to this offense. Having a person with a professional pedigree will undoubtedly help with not only the x's and o's, but also the Johns and Joes.

Agree. Taylor has to be excited that he has some tools (players) in the tool belt to work with. Mike Boone comes to mind - I'll keep my pie hole shut for now.

01-25-2016 11:35 AM
Advertisement

SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
(01-25-2016 11:35 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(01-25-2016 11:02 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  I'm so thrilled to hear we're actually going to bring some semblance of balance to this offense. Having a person with a professional pedigree will undoubtedly help with not only the x's and o's, but also the Johns and Joes.

Agree. Taylor has to be excited that he has some tools (players) in the tool belt to work with. Mike Boone comes to mind - I'll keep my pie hole shut for now.

Quote:former Miami Dolphins offensive line coach Jim Turner will coach Bearcats running backs.

I hope this former offensive line coach can teach Mike Boone to block and make him an every down back 04-cheers

01-25-2016 11:46 AM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-25-2016 11:21 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  

Seeing as how he left a likely NFL OC job and our current coach has no years on contract after this year, I would assume the same.

X3

01-25-2016 11:47 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
Im excited about this hire and once again am excited about UC fb.

Its been long year.

01-25-2016 12:22 PM
Advertisement

Cal1362 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
DonatorsDonators
(01-25-2016 11:47 AM)Cat-Man Wrote:  

X3

Not trying to be a downer, but if this comes to pass, I hope either conference affiliation or our administration makes UC an attractive alternative for ZT to stay 5 - 6 years as head coach.

01-25-2016 01:15 PM
BearcatMan Offline

(01-25-2016 01:15 PM)Cal1362 Wrote:  

X3

Not trying to be a downer, but if this comes to pass, I hope either conference affiliation or our administration makes UC an attractive alternative for ZT to stay 5 - 6 years as head coach.

Unfortunately, I don't think conference affiliation would affect that. Cincinnati will never be the type of blue blood job that can hold onto a coach long term unless that coach has an extremely strong connection to us. I'm prepared to be a 3-4 year stopping off area for coaches on the rise. The best years of this program occurred under that situation, and if having to replace coaches every now and again brings those types of years back I'm all for it.

01-25-2016 01:32 PM
Bearcat Otto Offline
1st String

I Root For:

X3

Maybe we should let him coach a down before we elevate him to Coach in waiting status.

I don't think anybody really knows what he can do with the players he has until we see the product on the field. He might be the best OC around but I didn't see the Dolphins in the playoffs this year...Just sayin

01-25-2016 01:50 PM
Advertisement

EcFlay Offline
2nd String

I Root For: the Bearcats
(01-25-2016 01:50 PM)Bearcat Otto Wrote:  

X3

Maybe we should let him coach a down before we elevate him to Coach in waiting status.

I don't think anybody really knows what he can do with the players he has until we see the product on the field. He might be the best OC around but I didn't see the Dolphins in the playoffs this year...Just sayin

+1

Don't get me wrong, I am excited by what he has to say but I (and many on this board) were REALLY excited by the CTT hire and what he had to day. Now we are 3 years in with a 25-14 record and 0-3 in bowl games and were are talking about our newly hired OC who hasn't coached our players in a single game being the next HC?? 03-banghead03-banghead

01-25-2016 02:24 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
C'mon. That's what we do here. OVERREACT. Remember when:

TT was going to make us the "U" North?
Mick was such a great recruiter, he was going to get us back to the Final Four? I mean gosh, look what he did at Murray State!
Gunner was going to go pro after he threw 6 TDs in his first game?
Bohn was going to get us into the P5 because he got Colorado into the Pac-12?

02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana02-13-banana

01-25-2016 02:38 PM
BearcatBeta Offline
All American

I Root For: $ in my mailbox
Yeah Yeah Yeah,,
Decca Records executive says "four piece groups with guitars are finished"

Time will tell...heir apparent

01-25-2016 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.