Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - OT WRESTLING
Bookmark and Share
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
OT - OT WRESTLING
In tradition rich Ohio High School wrestling, Clay High School's (my alma mater) Matt Stencel just crushed the old record of consecutive pins yesterday at the Wadworth Grizzly Invitational. The old record was 28 straight which Stencel tied last week at the Maumee Bay Classic. Yesterday he recorded 4 more consecutive pins in 0:11, 0:14, 0:45 and 0:38. Yes those are in seconds.

He now has 32 straight pins and all but 3 are in the first period. No one has made it to the 3rd period against him.

The streak could easily be at 36 right now. Last year at the state tourney, he recorded 3 pins and then "settled" for a 15-1 win in the finals against the national powerhouse Lakewood St. Ed's wrestler. He has pinned that same wrestler this year in 0:36.

He will wrestle at Central Michigan instead of a Toledo team that does not exist.
01-24-2016 07:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: OT - OT WRESTLING
Two biggest sports in town: hockey and wrestling and UT doesn't have them. Doh! Oh, and who does. Doh^2. Some stupid people, just simply stupid.
01-24-2016 08:34 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Hockey is enormously expensive and would be competing against a popular pro team in town. Wrestling, OTOH, has always been pretty popular and cheap. But adding women's teams to maintain would be expensive- drop football schollies by 25% and colleges could do a lot more with non-revs. I don't believe for a minute that Gigantic State U would suffer enormous financial harm or attendance drops if several end of the benchers didn't get schollies. It would help competitive balance ( which is why GSU won't go for it) as well. But wrestling at UT could be a revenue sport partially offsetting the cost.
01-24-2016 09:40 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-24-2016 09:40 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  Hockey is enormously expensive and would be competing against a popular pro team in town. Wrestling, OTOH, has always been pretty popular and cheap. But adding women's teams to maintain would be expensive- drop football schollies by 25% and colleges could do a lot more with non-revs. I don't believe for a minute that Gigantic State U would suffer enormous financial harm or attendance drops if several end of the benchers didn't get schollies. It would help competitive balance ( which is why GSU won't go for it) as well. But wrestling at UT could be a revenue sport partially offsetting the cost.

OSU sold out St. John arena today for a match against Michigan State - and MSU sucks. Not one ranked wrestler in their line-up. As for the MAC - with the addition of Missouri, Northern Iowa and Old Dominion to the conference for wrestling, the MAC is likely in the top 4 conferences in the US right now. Missouri, Kent State, Central Michigan and Ohio U are all ranked in the top 25 with the lowest ranked being Ohio U at #23. Missouri is #4 and won the national dual title last year. Off of tournaments, there are 4 MAC teams ranked in the top 25 with the lowest being Northern Iowa.

The Big 10 (14) has 9 teams ranked in the top 25 (dual team basis) and 10 teams in the top 25 based on tournament scoring.

ACC has 5 and the Big 12 has 4 based on dual meets. And the EIWA has 2 teams in the top 25. PAC 12 is the only other conference to have a team in the top 25 with 1 (Oregon State). Not even Arizona State or Stanford is in the top 25.

Northern Illinois, Buffalo, and EMU all have wrestling teams in addition to CMU, KSU, and Ohio U. of the schools that also have football teams in the MAC.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 10:29 AM by MotoRocket.)
01-24-2016 10:26 AM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure, so enormously expensive that that poverty school down south and rich schools like L Superior St can field teams. Does BG not have women's teams? CMU? How do they manage? This was a choice. In TOLEDO, it would support. Hockey is the ONE sport in which close-by Toledo competes regularly on a state level and spreading out an hour and a half has two of the best prep wrestling programs in the country. Anyone thinking UT's hockey team would destroy the athletic budget would to me seem to be protecting the program that would be hurt, the one down south. J'ACCUSE!!!! lol.

Toledo would have no problem supporting a college and a minor league hockey team. As for wrestling, take a peak at some of the sports message boards. Any time of year, the wrestling forums have the most viewership. Type A's all around. It is one of the most well attended state tournaments. Local tournaments don't seem to be well attended but what can you say when programs appear and disappear like magic? If there's some consistency, this area would be a hotbed in wrestling also.
01-24-2016 10:31 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
Wrestling & mens track should never have been eliminated at UT. Granted, I know it was to get in line with the Title 9 standards, but if other MAC schools are able to pull it off, why not the University of Toledo.
01-24-2016 11:59 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
OT - OT WRESTLING
I don't believe hockey would be as expensive as some have indicated. Adrian College has 2 teams.
1. Add men's and women's teams to satisfy Title IX. 20 athletes each. The USA Women's Olympic hockey team is very popular.
2. Use the Huntington Center downtown for home games. The would love another tenant.
3. Build a Tam o shanter like building for practices. With 4 or 6 locker rooms. Rent it out because of lack of ice time in Toledo area.
4. Hockey would add 2 more revenue sports.
5. Toledo is located in the center of Midwest college hockey.
01-24-2016 02:55 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-24-2016 10:31 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  Sure, so enormously expensive that that poverty school down south and rich schools like L Superior St can field teams. Does BG not have women's teams? CMU? How do they manage? This was a choice. In TOLEDO, it would support. Hockey is the ONE sport in which close-by Toledo competes regularly on a state level and spreading out an hour and a half has two of the best prep wrestling programs in the country. Anyone thinking UT's hockey team would destroy the athletic budget would to me seem to be protecting the program that would be hurt, the one down south. J'ACCUSE!!!! lol.

Toledo would have no problem supporting a college and a minor league hockey team. As for wrestling, take a peak at some of the sports message boards. Any time of year, the wrestling forums have the most viewership. Type A's all around. It is one of the most well attended state tournaments. Local tournaments don't seem to be well attended but what can you say when programs appear and disappear like magic? If there's some consistency, this area would be a hotbed in wrestling also.

BG considered shutting down a few years ago and would never consider starting a program in today's environment. The fact that they had a program of long standing and a facility and fans already in place is the only thing that saved it. So, yes, that enormously expensive. As for LSS, they have no football program and again, a signature hockey program of long standing that is the pride of the school.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2016 03:50 PM by H2Oville Rocket.)
01-24-2016 03:46 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-24-2016 03:46 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-24-2016 10:31 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  Sure, so enormously expensive that that poverty school down south and rich schools like L Superior St can field teams. Does BG not have women's teams? CMU? How do they manage? This was a choice. In TOLEDO, it would support. Hockey is the ONE sport in which close-by Toledo competes regularly on a state level and spreading out an hour and a half has two of the best prep wrestling programs in the country. Anyone thinking UT's hockey team would destroy the athletic budget would to me seem to be protecting the program that would be hurt, the one down south. J'ACCUSE!!!! lol.

BG considered shutting down a few years ago and would never consider starting a program in today's environment. The fact that they had a program of long standing and a facility and fans already in place is the only thing that saved it. So, yes, that enormously expensive. As for LSS, they have no football program and again, a signature hockey program of long standing that is the pride of the school.

They are expensive because they have to support their own facility with little opportunity for revenue generation or cost sharing. Maybe it's not an apples and apples situation? In addition, there are quite a few women's college teams. We look to lose a lot of ground getting girls into sports without investment at the college level. We might not be able to field a complete women's wrestling but I have to think maybe a team could be fielded in martial arts.

Athletes make good students. They make good and loyal and vested alums. They bring community into the University. Not a bad investment for a mid-major.
01-24-2016 04:39 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Yep, I think we need to build a dohyƍ!
01-24-2016 04:41 PM
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(01-24-2016 02:55 PM)Terry Wrote:  I don't believe hockey would be as expensive as some have indicated. Adrian College has 2 teams.
1. Add men's and women's teams to satisfy Title IX. 20 athletes each. The USA Women's Olympic hockey team is very popular.
2. Use the Huntington Center downtown for home games. The would love another tenant.
3. Build a Tam o shanter like building for practices. With 4 or 6 locker rooms. Rent it out because of lack of ice time in Toledo area.
4. Hockey would add 2 more revenue sports.
5. Toledo is located in the center of Midwest college hockey.

Hockey would be great, but it boils down to $$$. The COLA for 40 more student athletes would add up, along with the capital investment required even for a basic practice facility. Would much rather have the GB upgrade done right, and maybe on a larger scale. Besides hockey would dig into attendance, as far as b-ball is concerned.
01-24-2016 05:12 PM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
(01-24-2016 04:39 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

They are expensive because they have to support their own facility with little opportunity for revenue generation or cost sharing. Maybe it's not an apples and apples situation? In addition, there are quite a few women's college teams. We look to lose a lot of ground getting girls into sports without investment at the college level. We might not be able to field a complete women's wrestling but I have to think maybe a team could be fielded in martial arts.

Athletes make good students. They make good and loyal and vested alums. They bring community into the University. Not a bad investment for a mid-major.

How many of you know that some MAC schools have women's gymnastics? Also, the MAC uses it as one it's sports. Conference standings and a championship meet.
01-25-2016 09:35 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-25-2016 09:35 AM)Terry Wrote:  
(01-24-2016 04:39 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  

How many of you know that some MAC schools have women's gymnastics? Also, the MAC uses it as one it's sports. Conference standings and a championship meet.

Field hockey as well. UT used to field field hockey. Hated to see it go.
01-25-2016 09:58 AM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
State dual championship kicks off this week. Perrysburg expected to go to Columbus out of the "Toledo region". Delta expected to capture the state title again in D3 - the only team to have won the title in D3 since it started up 3 or 4 years ago. I would expect Wauseon to finish close to 1st place* in D2.

* - In D2, that means any school that makes it to the finals against Graham High School. Graham has beaten both Blair Academy and Lakewood St. Edward this year in dual matches and is ranked somewhere around #2 or #3 in the country. And....that is for any size high school including the prep schools (Blair) that recruits it's entire team.

Wrestling at UT would cost it 9.9 scholarships (don't ask me why 9.9 vs. 10, but that is the same at all schools). It is rare for a wrestler to get a full scholarship to wrestle. Helps to get really smart guys who will also receive academic scholarships.
01-25-2016 11:19 AM
cnyrocketfan Offline
Legend

I can only find this on Twitter. Haven't seen it anywhere else, but apparently Presbyterian is adding wrestling, for men and women. Didn't see it mentioned on Presbyterian's website or at any NCAA wrestling news sites, so take this for what it's worth.

You know, Presbyterian. The Blue Hose.

Anyway, here's a link to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/cpyles8/status/921429592526737413
10-22-2017 09:48 AM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(10-22-2017 09:48 AM)cnyrocketfan Wrote:  I can only find this on Twitter. Haven't seen it anywhere else, but apparently Presbyterian is adding wrestling, for men and women. Didn't see it mentioned on Presbyterian's website or at any NCAA wrestling news sites, so take this for what it's worth.

You know, Presbyterian. The Blue Hose.

Anyway, here's a link to the tweet.

https://twitter.com/cpyles8/status/921429592526737413

Smart decision by them. Not many schools in the South have wrestling teams (thus why Mizzou of the SEC is in the MAC). Don't know of any D-1 schools with women's wrestling - but that is a growing sport in the US - only in freestyle. If the NCAA were smart, they would make all female wrestling freestyle instead of folkstyle. Men should change over to freestyle as well, although I do like folkstyle in HS and college right now. Freestyle is difficult to ref.
10-22-2017 12:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.