UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Regarding the student section
whisperdeer3 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: uab
I feel like they either need to give the student section another section down low or that entire side in the lower bowl. Only having 2 sections the the rest being upper bowl will not cut it for any student section. It will build a more intimidating environment and the students aren't forced to the rafters. What are your thoughts?
01-22-2016 08:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Regarding the student section
I think those seats are expensive.
01-22-2016 08:10 PM
uab278 Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
See Duke
01-22-2016 08:15 PM
whisperdeer3 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-22-2016 08:15 PM)uab278 Wrote:  See Duke

See Auburn
01-22-2016 08:19 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

see above
01-22-2016 08:28 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I think that when the clock hits 8:00 in the first half, unoccupied seats in the Frozen 100 should go up for grabs to students. If someone comes in holding a ticket, relinquish his seat. Otherwise, fill those lower bowl seats with hellraising students.
01-22-2016 08:34 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(01-22-2016 08:34 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I think that when the clock hits 8:00 in the first half, unoccupied seats in the Frozen 100 should go up for grabs to students. If someone comes in holding a ticket, relinquish his seat. Otherwise, fill those lower bowl seats with hellraising students.

I agree. It's not that hard to move somebody out of a seat they don't have a ticket for. It looks bad when there are empty seats that are in prime locations.
01-22-2016 08:51 PM
BlazerGreen Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB, Goals
(01-22-2016 08:09 PM)whisperdeer3 Wrote:  I feel like they either need to give the student section another section down low or that entire side in the lower bowl. Only having 2 sections the the rest being upper bowl will not cut it for any student section. It will build a more intimidating environment and the students aren't forced to the rafters. What are your thoughts?

Moving the student section would be a great reward and recognition of the role the students had in restoring football as well as their numerous votes of support for UAB athletics.
01-22-2016 08:58 PM
ICB Offline
Heisman

UAB students give approx $6 Million to athletics each year. Let for kicks say 1/3 goes to Men's Basketball as students participating in MBB is even greater than that.

That's $2 Million... Those seats cost between $750-$1000 per seat plus ticket. So roughly 1000-1250 per season. Quick maths says the students have purchased from 1600 to 2000 of those prime seats, and should be sitting in them.
01-22-2016 09:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
whisperdeer3 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-22-2016 09:18 PM)ICB Wrote:  UAB students give approx $6 Million to athletics each year. Let for kicks say 1/3 goes to Men's Basketball as students participating in MBB is even greater than that.

That's $2 Million... Those seats cost between $750-$1000 per seat plus ticket. So roughly 1000-1250 per season. Quick maths says the students have purchased from 1600 to 2000 of those prime seats, and should be sitting in them.

This+1 If you look at the best student sections in the nation you have

Washington which is on the side
Kansas is the entire end of the arena
Virginia has 2 full sections on the side, the end, and a small but long section on the side
Gonzaga students have a side in the lower bowl
Pitt has a side and both ends like Auburn
Wisconsin the the entire end to the top like us
Michigan St. is one side
Duke is legendary with nearly the entire lower bowl
and SDSU is a fourth of the arena

now I am not saying that we are on par with these guys but we can learn from them. The students need a larger presence on the floor and they have the ability to fill the seats that never fill up beside them. I say give them those seats and it will make the lower bowl look better.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 09:42 PM by whisperdeer3.)
01-22-2016 09:42 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
It was a great student section last night...but really, it takes more than a few good showings to demand a better setup. If students want better seats, they're going to have to fill up their section every game before it's even a consideration.

My first ever UAB game, I had to sit in the very top row of the student section, and I was hooked on Blazer basketball
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2016 09:57 PM by LairDweller.)
01-22-2016 09:54 PM
Advertisement

BTR Offline
The Royal Order of Rooster

I Root For: UAB!!!

Folding@NCAAbbsBlazerTalk AwardDonators
(01-22-2016 09:54 PM)LairDweller Wrote:  It was a great student section last night...but really, it takes more than a few good showings to demand a better setup. If students want better seats, they're going to have to fill up their section every game before it's even a consideration.

My first ever UAB game, I had to sit in the very top row of the student section, and I was hooked on Blazer basketball

I completely agree. It was a great crowd but it has not been like that always. Let's address this issue after the student section bleeds over to the rafters all season. It would be a great problem to have.
01-22-2016 10:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-22-2016 09:42 PM)whisperdeer3 Wrote:  
(01-22-2016 09:18 PM)ICB Wrote:  UAB students give approx $6 Million to athletics each year. Let for kicks say 1/3 goes to Men's Basketball as students participating in MBB is even greater than that.

This+1 If you look at the best student sections in the nation you have

Washington which is on the side
Kansas is the entire end of the arena
Virginia has 2 full sections on the side, the end, and a small but long section on the side
Gonzaga students have a side in the lower bowl
Pitt has a side and both ends like Auburn
Wisconsin the the entire end to the top like us
Michigan St. is one side
Duke is legendary with nearly the entire lower bowl
and SDSU is a fourth of the arena

now I am not saying that we are on par with these guys but we can learn from them. The students need a larger presence on the floor and they have the ability to fill the seats that never fill up beside them. I say give them those seats and it will make the lower bowl look better.

Most of those schools have power 5 conference money subsidizing them. They can afford to give prime seats away
01-22-2016 10:40 PM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I agree. If those seats aren't occupied by midway through the first half then students should be allowed to move there. It's embarrassing that we have so many empty seats in a prime area. The students deserve better. Another UAB blunder.

I love UAB. Everyone knows we have plenty of enemies and people trying to take us down. But our athletics department constantly shoots itself in the foot as well. The problem with UAB athletics goes deeper than just watts and the bot.
01-22-2016 11:06 PM
EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
My thoughts?

It would be great to have a "Gang Green Upstanding Alumni" section of former UAB students (with or without degrees, whatever, though WITH would be a great incentive) of 22-40 year olds who are encouraged to stay standing the whole time and get just as rowdy as their still-student counterparts!

Really, I'm sick and tired of sitting in the so-called Friends and Family section because I don't want to offend the people behind me who also want to sit! I'd be perfectly fine with needing to stand while the action is going on because otherwise I wouldn't be able to see sh*t!
01-23-2016 12:33 AM
JeffUAB Offline
Special Teams

(01-23-2016 12:33 AM)EnviroBlazerD Wrote:  My thoughts?

It would be great to have a "Gang Green Upstanding Alumni" section of former UAB students (with or without degrees, whatever, though WITH would be a great incentive) of 22-40 year olds who are encouraged to stay standing the whole time and get just as rowdy as their still-student counterparts!

Really, I'm sick and tired of sitting in the so-called Friends and Family section because I don't want to offend the people behind me who also want to sit! I'd be perfectly fine with needing to stand while the action is going on because otherwise I wouldn't be able to see sh*t!

That's an interesting idea. Something like a supporters section that's common in professional soccer. It would be great to have that behind the other basket to balance out the student's section.
01-23-2016 01:18 AM
Advertisement

EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
(01-23-2016 01:18 AM)JeffUAB Wrote:  

That's an interesting idea. Something like a supporters section that's common in professional soccer. It would be great to have that behind the other basket to balance out the student's section.

Pricing would be $75 a season ticket, like Friends and Family, and the only seating available in the Lower Bowl without a required donation, but there would be 3 catches:
- Alumni (preferably former Gang Green Members) and guests only (For $12/ticket)
- No reserved seating -- First come, first serve, like the Student Section!
- You MUST stand the entire time (because the people in front of you will be standing) or relegate yourself to higher seats so you can see!!

And yes, I like the idea of being behind the other basket, too!
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2016 02:54 AM by EnviroBlazerD.)
01-23-2016 02:44 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-23-2016 02:44 AM)EnviroBlazerD Wrote:  
(01-23-2016 01:18 AM)JeffUAB Wrote:  

Pricing would be $75 a season ticket, like Friends and Family, and the only seating available in the Lower Bowl without a required donation, but there would be 3 catches:
- Alumni (preferably former Gang Green Members) and guests only (For $12/ticket)
- No reserved seating -- First come, first serve, like the Student Section!
- You MUST stand the entire time (because the people in front of you will be standing) or relegate yourself to higher seats so you can see!!

And yes, I like the idea of being behind the other basket, too!

It's basically impossible to know who a former gang green member was. I was there during its founding around 2002-2003. The logo (dude with the big Afro wig on) is a fraternity brother of mine. It was founder before social media and I doubt any membership records were kept originally. Sounds good on paper, but it's impossible in execution.
01-23-2016 08:02 AM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

That same fro dude is the son in law of one of my co-workers.
01-23-2016 09:57 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Everyone comes up with great ideas to benefit themselves and get better seats.

I have an idea that to honor Gene Bartow and all the great players, he recruited from Memphis, any UAB fan who travels from Memphis to a game gets court side seats.
01-23-2016 10:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.