1/13/16 Boren: OU disadvantaged w/ 3 things
01-13-2016 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ren.hoek Offline
1st String

I Root For: Clemson
Sounds like OU is gone at the first opportunity. I don't see how a big12 network could be viable with the current footprint. Maybe if they released WVU to the ACC and added BYU, Colorado State and one more non eastern, contiguous team?
01-13-2016 09:16 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
RE: 1/13/16 Boren: OU disadvantaged w/ 3 things
(01-13-2016 09:16 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  Sounds like OU is gone at the first opportunity. I don't see how a big12 network could be viable with the current footprint. Maybe if they released WVU to the ACC and added BYU, Colorado State and one more non eastern, contiguous team?

Everyone should be a bit afraid of an Oklahoma move. They are a top 10 program year in and year out. There won't be ripples if Oklahoma makes a move. There will be waves.

It doesn't matter where they go as much as it matters that they are going somewhere. It means Texas is forced to move. It means Kansas is forced to move. It means that the Big 10, or SEC, or both will grow the revenue gap. And that my friend is the wave, a wave that the taking of West Virginia will not provide an adequate seawall against.

The best hope of the ACC in this case is that this wave heads West which unfortunately is the least likely direction.

A Big 10, or SEC, or both that lands 1 or more of these prizes will inflate their annual TV revenue values to the mid 40's in millions. And that is what they call critical mass.
01-13-2016 10:17 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
(01-13-2016 10:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 09:16 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  Sounds like OU is gone at the first opportunity. I don't see how a big12 network could be viable with the current footprint. Maybe if they released WVU to the ACC and added BYU, Colorado State and one more non eastern, contiguous team?

Everyone should be a bit afraid of an Oklahoma move. They are a top 10 program year in and year out. There won't be ripples if Oklahoma makes a move. There will be waves.

It doesn't matter where they go as much as it matters that they are going somewhere. It means Texas is forced to move. It means Kansas is forced to move. It means that the Big 10, or SEC, or both will grow the revenue gap. And that my friend is the wave, a wave that the taking of West Virginia will not provide an adequate seawall against.

The best hope of the ACC in this case is that this wave heads West which unfortunately is the least likely direction.

A Big 10, or SEC, or both that lands 1 or more of these prizes will inflate their annual TV revenue values to the mid 40's in millions. And that is what they call critical mass.

Would that projection still be accurate if it was OU and OSU or would OSU need to be swapped out? Just wondering.
01-13-2016 10:32 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
I just wish all this stuff would end sooner than later.
01-13-2016 10:43 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-13-2016 10:32 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  

Would that projection still be accurate if it was OU and OSU or would OSU need to be swapped out? Just wondering.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC would still accomplish critical mass and lead to those salary ranges. They both multiply the content value of the SEC, land the DFW market in spades, and cut the Big 12 in half. The Big 12 would have no recourse but to implode and Texas no recourse but to consider the SEC or ACC if they wanted to keep the RRR intact. I think Kansas would bolt to the Big 10 like a scalded dog and without Kansas State.

Both the Big 10 and SEC would then have a 23 million plus edge in revenue projections over the ACC. That will light a fuse.
01-13-2016 11:04 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
Don't listen to the Ad listen to the Texas and Oklahoma Presidents
01-13-2016 11:10 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(01-13-2016 11:04 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the SEC would still accomplish critical mass and lead to those salary ranges. They both multiply the content value of the SEC, land the DFW market in spades, and cut the Big 12 in half. The Big 12 would have no recourse but to implode and Texas no recourse but to consider the SEC or ACC if they wanted to keep the RRR intact. I think Kansas would bolt to the Big 10 like a scalded dog and without Kansas State.

Both the Big 10 and SEC would then have a 23 million plus edge in revenue projections over the ACC. That will light a fuse.

I would love to light the dynamite on this one, but would the SEC get sued by leftover B12 schools if OU and OSU bolted first?
01-14-2016 12:13 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-14-2016 12:13 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(01-13-2016 11:04 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

I would love to light the dynamite on this one, but would the SEC get sued by leftover B12 schools if OU and OSU bolted first?

Not if they got placed. And not if ACC schools are taken too and a new P conference is formed out of the remnants.
01-14-2016 12:16 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2016 11:10 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  Don't listen to the Ad listen to the Texas and Oklahoma Presidents

The Presidents are endowed with authority, but they have bosses themselves. Trustees and other power brokers will ultimately make these decisions.
01-14-2016 12:41 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

It's an interesting thought that the pressure of NBC's foray into sports television or the NFL's further penetration into the broadcast schedule or possibly a combination of both might be forcing ESPN and FOX to cooperate. I'm still skeptical about any large scale brokering taking place, but it is an interesting theory.

If the PAC would agree to take the core of the Big 12 then a lot of progress could be made.

If Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State were to go to the PAC then things could really get rolling.

The SEC could take Baylor and West Virginia to eliminate any threat of lawsuits.

My question at that point would be is it necessary to find a home for everyone in the ACC to also eliminate any threat of a lawsuit?

An intriguing P3 could emerge. The SEC could also take Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Miami.

The B1G can take North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Syracuse, UConn, and finally Notre Dame agrees to join with no other league with which to affiliate. It may be necessary to finish off any hope of a leftover league in order to persuade Notre Dame to finally join the party.

Now you've got 2 leagues of 20 and one of 24.

SEC(24)

West: Texas A&M, Baylor, Arkansas, Missouri, LSU, Ole Miss
Central: Mississippi State, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
East: Auburn, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Clemson, Kentucky
Atlantic: Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech, Louisville, West Virginia, Pittsburgh

B1G (20)

West: Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois
Central: Northwestern, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State
East: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Syracuse, UConn
South: Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, Notre Dame

PAC 20

Northwest: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, California
Coastal: Stanford, USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State
Central: Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State
South: Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

The only schools left out are Wake Forest and Boston College. Do 2 small private schools have a case? Not sure about that. Of course, it may not be necessary to find a home for that many schools, but I think it makes an intriguing lineup in all 3 leagues.
01-14-2016 01:49 AM
Advertisement

USAFMEDIC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MIZZOU/FSU/USM
Boren has been stirring the pot in the Big XII for years now. The network is the issue that will never die, and was the cause of their loss of several teams, IMO.
01-14-2016 04:42 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-13-2016 07:48 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  "The Big 12 is disadvantaged when compared to the other conferences in three ways. We do not have at least twelve members, we do not have a conference network, and we do not have a championship game. I think that all three of these disadvantages need to be addressed at the same time. Addressing only one without addressing all three will not be adequate to improve the strength of the conference," the statement read.

Boren's comments came after the NCAA reached a compromise to deregulate conference championship games Wednesday, allowing FBS conferences to hold title games with fewer than 12 members.

3 Disadvatages:
1. Do not have at least 12 members
2. No conference network
3. No conference championship game.

Boren continues to set the grounds for leaving. Now he adds the CCG. This will be interesting in the days/weeks/month/years/decades ahead.

This is Boren trying to ensure that OU isn't seen as the bad guy when the B12 GOR come to an end. Their aren't two teams of note available that would make expansion worthwhile. And without Texas, a conference network doesn't have the requisite viewership to be viable.
01-14-2016 08:57 AM
Lenvillecards Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Louisville
(01-14-2016 01:49 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  It's an interesting thought that the pressure of NBC's foray into sports television or the NFL's further penetration into the broadcast schedule or possibly a combination of both might be forcing ESPN and FOX to cooperate. I'm still skeptical about any large scale brokering taking place, but it is an interesting theory.

If the PAC would agree to take the core of the Big 12 then a lot of progress could be made.

If Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, and Iowa State were to go to the PAC then things could really get rolling.

The SEC could take Baylor and West Virginia to eliminate any threat of lawsuits.

My question at that point would be is it necessary to find a home for everyone in the ACC to also eliminate any threat of a lawsuit?

An intriguing P3 could emerge. The SEC could also take Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, NC State, Virginia Tech, Pittsburgh, Louisville, and Miami.

The B1G can take North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Syracuse, UConn, and finally Notre Dame agrees to join with no other league with which to affiliate. It may be necessary to finish off any hope of a leftover league in order to persuade Notre Dame to finally join the party.

SEC(24)

Central: Mississippi State, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

B1G (20)

PAC 20

The only schools left out are Wake Forest and Boston College. Do 2 small private schools have a case? Not sure about that. Of course, it may not be necessary to find a home for that many schools, but I think it makes an intriguing lineup in all 3 leagues.

My question about a P3 is how will the networks pay for it? The ACC & B12 are making less than the SEC & B1G. Moving teams into those conferences means that the payouts for those teams will have to go up to meet the conference level or the conference as a whole would have to make less per school. Wouldn't teams like Louisville, NC State, Baylor, Iowa State, etc have to be paid $5-10 million more each? You could try unequal revenue sharing but that would promote volatility, if someone gets hot another conference could offer a larger share. Wouldn't a P3 cost the networks more money & if so why would they want it?
01-14-2016 11:07 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2016 11:07 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 01:49 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  It's an interesting thought that the pressure of NBC's foray into sports television or the NFL's further penetration into the broadcast schedule or possibly a combination of both might be forcing ESPN and FOX to cooperate. I'm still skeptical about any large scale brokering taking place, but it is an interesting theory.

SEC(24)

B1G (20)

PAC 20

My question about a P3 is how will the networks pay for it? The ACC & B12 are making less than the SEC & B1G. Moving teams into those conferences means that the payouts for those teams will have to go up to meet the conference level or the conference as a whole would have to make less per school. Wouldn't teams like Louisville, NC State, Baylor, Iowa State, etc have to be paid $5-10 million more each? You could try unequal revenue sharing but that would promote volatility, if someone gets hot another conference could offer a larger share. Wouldn't a P3 cost the networks more money & if so why would they want it?

A smaller P3 would be financially solvent. I was just spitballing for fun mostly. That and I was trying to come up with an end result should FOX and ESPN be truly cooperating which I think is unlikely anyway.

If we wait until the end of the GORs then I think a P3 becomes much more likely, but it would be significantly smaller.
01-14-2016 02:08 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

Article from Barry Tramel breaking down what Boren said yesterday.

Boren wants a Big 12 network

Ultimately, Boren is laying groundwork for exiting the Big 12 because there is no way UT is going to give up the LHN in exchange for a Big 12 network unless it adds to the bottom line. It won't in the Big 12's current makeup.

The Big 12 does not have enough weight to attract strong programs from other leagues either so the days of the Big 12 are numbered.

I do think the SEC plans to pick apart the Big 12 when the time comes. I think it should be Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State and complete the SEC's expansion into the Midwest/Plains. That and grab 3 more AAU schools. When ACC schools become available then make arrangements for a few more.

A P3 could then be right around the corner.
01-14-2016 02:27 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

(01-14-2016 02:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Article from Barry Tramel breaking down what Boren said yesterday.

Ultimately, Boren is laying groundwork for exiting the Big 12 because there is no way UT is going to give up the LHN in exchange for a Big 12 network unless it adds to the bottom line. It won't in the Big 12's current makeup.

The Big 12 does not have enough weight to attract strong programs from other leagues either so the days of the Big 12 are numbered.

I do think the SEC plans to pick apart the Big 12 when the time comes. I think it should be Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Iowa State and complete the SEC's expansion into the Midwest/Plains. That and grab 3 more AAU schools. When ACC schools become available then make arrangements for a few more.

If the SEC heads into the plains, it'll be to grab Kansas, assuming Missouri could convince them to renew their rivalry. If not, which I suspect, then I would suggest, after grabbing OU, trying to get Nebraska. Their fans are not too enthused with their B1G schedule and are the only non-AAU member in the B1G. Maybe playing some SEC schools and then ending the season against OU like the old times would warm their hearts. Besides, adding the home of the college world series into SEC country would be cool.
01-15-2016 01:12 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-15-2016 01:12 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(01-14-2016 02:27 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Article from Barry Tramel breaking down what Boren said yesterday.

If the SEC heads into the plains, it'll be to grab Kansas, assuming Missouri could convince them to renew their rivalry. If not, which I suspect, then I would suggest, after grabbing OU, trying to get Nebraska. Their fans are not too enthused with their B1G schedule and are the only non-AAU member in the B1G. Maybe playing some SEC schools and then ending the season against OU like the old times would warm their hearts. Besides, adding the home of the college world series into SEC country would be cool.

That would be very cool. I don't see anyone leaving the B1G though.
01-15-2016 01:18 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(01-15-2016 01:18 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-15-2016 01:12 AM)murrdcu Wrote:  

That would be very cool. I don't see anyone leaving the B1G though.

Agreed, but if there was ever a chance to snag a B1G team, that would be the perfect opportunity.
01-15-2016 01:23 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

Boren adding more fire behind his words:

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/john...l?mode=jqm
01-15-2016 02:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.