Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Dare to Dream"
Bookmark and Share
purplesanman Offline
1st String

I Root For: jmu
"Dare to Dream"
I just finished Lou Campanelli's book about JMU and it is awesome! He was there before my time on campus, but it is still a fascinating read and I highly recommend it. His passion and excitement comes through loud and clear.

He includes all sorts of little tidbits. For example, he mentions the time he told Navy's coach (unnamed in the book, but given the year, it was probably Paul Evans) that if there was one more cheap shot, that he would personally fight the coach.

Campanelli even gets into the early history of the school, but the best parts may be the Dr. Carrier stories. Some are just laugh out loud funny.

I have to admit, I got a little nostalgic for my JMU years while reading it.
01-02-2016 06:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU John Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU Dukes
RE: "Dare to Dream"
I received for Christmas and can't wait to read it!!
01-02-2016 06:19 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Haven't read it yet, but I can already tell the young'uns need to read it before another minute passes. Especially those who find it difficult to believe there really were leaders in JMU's history.
01-02-2016 06:43 PM
Dukesfan71 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Good read. Coach signed mine at the bookstore at Homecoming. The weekend at the old Charlotte Coliseum when we beat Ohio State in the first round and lost to UNC 52-50 in 1982 is my greatest JMU memory. Great players, coaches, administration and we had without a doubt the greatest fans. JMU always has and always will have a spirit and vibe to it that few others can match.
01-02-2016 07:25 PM
bridgeforthduke Online
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Yep had mine signed at Homecoming as well. I didn't graduate until 2011 so his teams were a memory by the time I was on campus but I look forward to finishing it. I didn't have time to start it until this week and have only read one chapter but that was a great read about the OSU and UNC NCAA tourney games.
01-02-2016 08:11 PM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Online
All American

You all see if you can find me in the book!
01-02-2016 08:54 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
"Dare to Dream"
(01-02-2016 08:54 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  You all see if you can find me in the book!

24, it is available on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-03-2016 09:01 AM
BSKB 24 Online
All American

I have the book Scott. I'm saying, see if you can find what pages I'm on in the book. I read it in two sittings after Coach Campanelli gave us the books.
01-03-2016 09:07 AM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-02-2016 08:54 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  You all see if you can find me in the book!

Must be a section on the Luther Rice beat down!04-cheers
01-03-2016 09:43 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Online
All American

(01-03-2016 09:43 AM)olddawg Wrote:  

Must be a section on the Luther Rice beat down!04-cheers

Ouch! That was pre-Lou.
01-03-2016 12:01 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I bought 3 copies at Homecoming. Gave two away to some close friends. Pat Dosh shared with me that Lou had been pretty sick and that was causing a financial strain. I encourage all of you to buy the book because it is a good read and you will be helping the guy who helped put JMU basketball on the map.
01-03-2016 12:03 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
Randomly stumbled upon this book online recently and made the purchase. I have certainly enjoyed what I have read so far and I'm kind of ashamed of how little I knew about Lou and the early days of the men's basketball team.

I also had no idea how small the school was as late as 1970 and how it was still considered 'a girls school' then. It really is impressive what Dr. Carrier was able to pull off in such a short stretch!
03-29-2022 10:55 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2022 10:55 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Randomly stumbled upon this book online recently and made the purchase. I have certainly enjoyed what I have read so far and I'm kind of ashamed of how little I knew about Lou and the early days of the men's basketball team.

I also had no idea how small the school was as late as 1970 and how it was still considered 'a girls school' then. It really is impressive what Dr. Carrier was able to pull off in such a short stretch!

Thank you! It's hard to imagine that Lefty's years were exceeded by Lou's time at JMU, but you'll simply have to take my word on it, that was a very, very special time to be a Duke. The scene in Godwin Hall was incredible. A school of 5K had 5K attending almost every game. It was electric way before the Convo was built.
03-30-2022 09:54 PM
Advertisement

JMU83 Offline
Special Teams

(01-03-2016 09:07 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  I have the book Scott. I'm saying, see if you can find what pages I'm on in the book. I read it in two sittings after Coach Campanelli gave us the books.

Isn't there some mention of your knee injury?
03-31-2022 08:12 AM
Madison 91 Forever Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
(01-02-2016 06:08 PM)purplesanman Wrote:  I just finished Lou Campanelli's book about JMU and it is awesome! He was there before my time on campus, but it is still a fascinating read and I highly recommend it. His passion and excitement comes through loud and clear.

He includes all sorts of little tidbits. For example, he mentions the time he told Navy's coach (unnamed in the book, but given the year, it was probably Paul Evans) that if there was one more cheap shot, that he would personally fight the coach.

Campanelli even gets into the early history of the school, but the best parts may be the Dr. Carrier stories. Some are just laugh out loud funny.

I have to admit, I got a little nostalgic for my JMU years while reading it.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's been on my Amazon wish list for eons, so I just ordered based on your comments. If it sucks, you're to blame for the loss of my hard-earned cash! (Ha)
03-31-2022 09:23 AM
DukeQuin Offline
2nd String

I Root For: JMU, UCLA, Tx Tech
(01-03-2016 12:03 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  I bought 3 copies at Homecoming. Gave two away to some close friends. Pat Dosh shared with me that Lou had been pretty sick and that was causing a financial strain. I encourage all of you to buy the book because it is a good read and you will be helping the guy who helped put JMU basketball on the map.

Is there another way to order besides Amazon that might see a little bit more cash wind his way?
03-31-2022 10:44 AM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(03-30-2022 09:54 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(03-29-2022 10:55 AM)All Dukes_All Day Wrote:  Randomly stumbled upon this book online recently and made the purchase. I have certainly enjoyed what I have read so far and I'm kind of ashamed of how little I knew about Lou and the early days of the men's basketball team.

Thank you! It's hard to imagine that Lefty's years were exceeded by Lou's time at JMU, but you'll simply have to take my word on it, that was a very, very special time to be a Duke. The scene in Godwin Hall was incredible. A school of 5K had 5K attending almost every game. It was electric way before the Convo was built.

Many of the Dr. Carrier stories and anecdotes from Lou were very interesting as well. They certainly don't make them like him anymore.
03-31-2022 11:23 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

I don't know if the margin for Lou would be any better, but the JMU bookstore has them or at least used to. I got my copy signed and picture taken with Lou himself when he was promoting it.
03-31-2022 02:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.