Fluge: OU &100 year decision time
Bookmark and Share
murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas
Fluge: OU &100 year decision time
Quote:Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire Dec 27
BTM has some info....B10 perception

Oklahoma and Texas have never been further apart in their relationship and vision.

B10 perception:B12 has about 60 days to secure Oklahoma's future in the B12 beyond 2025.

Oklahoma & Texas relationship has torn apart

Because Sooners outside of Okkahoma current Admin is baking sure B10 knows this...just like in April.

The gap has widen between Okkahoma & Texas last 2 months. Boren has working majority on expansion but Texas won't expand B12 exposure-B12N

Oklahoma and Texas have always talked...even during 2010 closely. Not now. Both entrenched with 2 different visions.

OU not staying silent

Again...this B10 perception is being fueld by gossip/info from Sooners (not OU Admin) communicating in unison with B10 Admins.

It's real

B12 has 60 days to act. To reform itself. Bowlsby knows this...Gee knows this...Starr knows this.

Texas giving middle finger to OU.

What's at stake?

If no expansion..if no working B12N...even if it's limited in content by 2017...OU discontinues trying to save B12

OU will continue to be a member of B12 if no "Reform" until 2025. But if no reform happens OU will work on viable 2026 alternatives.

OU wants their own "100 year decision"
1) either B12 reform= Expansion + B12N (even if it's limited)
2) 100 year decision w SEC/B1G in 2026

@pfac51 by end of FEB B12 needs plans in place for expansion + Future plans seriously talked about for limited B12N...

Oklahoma wants to make their own "100 year decision"

Oklahoma has let everyone know this...Texas...OK ST...Kansas...SEC/B1G....everyone.

The needs and wants of the University of Texas and needs and wants of Oklahoma University in future years are not the same in any measure

Oklahoma wants to "Nationalize" their brand and their opportunities while Texas wants status of B12 to remain the same.

Population/Resource differences is one root cause of the widening gap between visions of Oklahoma University and University of Texas.

Been asked great question. Why would no movement on B12 expansion and no move toward a planned limited but real B12N in next 60 days keep......OU in place for 9 years?
1) OU realizes that there will be no better storm of issues that would spur B12 reform in next decade vs 2016/17
2) Big 12 GOR is real. Oklahoma not going to tangle with the Grants of Rights issue...won't even talk directly with SEC/B1G/PAC = violation

But for this reason, and others, Boren elected to talk last Spring in public...and will again in Mid-Late JAN on B12 needing to move forward

I understand there are many who believe OU is not serious about a reformed expanded Big 12 or else they will bolt.

You will be reminded

There are "Sooner People" outside of Admin that is communicating to others in B12...it's time to expand footprint and cast off disadvantages

And same "Sooner People" are communicating outside of B12 with same message.

Listen to Bowlsby's public words.
He knows....he knows.

In a little more than 3 weeks Oklahoma will make its voice heard again.

B10 perceptions on this comes from volumes of chatter..not 1 voice.

So expansion is not guarranteed. Texas is throwing in Houston due to state politics or just trying to reduce likely hood of a B12 Network from happening. I like the fact that OU will make their own 100 year decision without OSU, Texas or KU's imput; OSU being the important one.

Only thing I don't agree with is if OU does decide to bolt, why stick around for another decade? Screw the GOR, OU already beat the NCAA TV contract.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2015 11:17 PM by murrdcu.)
12-28-2015 09:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
RE: Fluge: OU &100 year decision time
I'm not sure all the politicos will let OU leave OSU behind. I do believe Greg has some decent info, but he doesn't have a 100% accurate track record either.

Wherever OU moves they will need a partner so I do see them working out a deal with someone.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2015 09:11 PM by AllTideUp.)
12-28-2015 09:10 PM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ar...er-premium

There's also this article. Mentions the costs and losses ESPN/Disney have absorbed getting the LHN up and running. I remember reading somewhere that with the decline of revenues from the cable/satelite subscriptions, that one way to reduce the payouts a company has to make is to remove some of the contracts it has to pay. Let's say ESPN doesn't bid on the new B1G TV deal. Ok, that's one. Now, if they wanted to or needed to get rid of another contract, ESPN would need to dissolve either the B12 or ACC contract by dissolving their conference. Now ESPN makes a ton of cash off of the ACC contract, if the LHN secures the horns to ESPN, only OU football and KU's basketball are of substantial value and national interest in that conference.
12-28-2015 11:36 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(12-28-2015 11:36 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ar...er-premium

There's also this article. Mentions the costs and losses ESPN/Disney have absorbed getting the LHN up and running. I remember reading somewhere that with the decline of revenues from the cable/satelite subscriptions, that one way to reduce the payouts a company has to make is to remove some of the contracts it has to pay. Let's say ESPN doesn't bid on the new B1G TV deal. Ok, that's one. Now, if they wanted to or needed to get rid of another contract, ESPN would need to dissolve either the B12 or ACC contract by dissolving their conference. Now ESPN makes a ton of cash off of the ACC contract, if the LHN secures the horns to ESPN, only OU football and KU's basketball are of substantial value and national interest in that conference.

Both OU's & Kansas's T3 contract with FOX will be up in about 3-4 years. The buyout is no big deal.

I disagree that ESPN makes a ton of money off of the ACC. They have stretched that profit thin trying to keep an overvalued football product in the ACC together in hopes of landing N.D..

I think there is a germ of truth to what Fluguar is saying, but only a germ. The rest is Fluguar's hype to get hits. Oklahoma has already done its shopping. They know the offers from all interested parties.

What this issue is designed to do is to spark the excuse for dissolution. If OU leaves along with Kansas then Texas will be forced to do so. Then I think we see some action. Let's say that ESPN decides to let Texas just go. UConn & West Virginia are added to the ACC to take them to a full 16 plus N.D.

The SEC takes Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State if the Big 10 won't take Iowa State and Kansas. If they do we just get the Oklahoma schools.

Texas, Texas Tech, T.C.U. and Kansas State head to the PAC.

We're done.

Personally I think the move will be much more involved and that it will include the loss of ACC schools as well.

Why? Because with Oklahoma moving to the SEC, possibly Kansas to the Big 10, and Texas to the PAC the gulf in income will only increase.

Another issue to consider is this. If Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia all move along with Florida State and Notre Dame the dissolution of both conferences would be easy. How? The formation of a new conference would either take all, or enough, of those left behind in both the Big 12 and ACC to dissolve both easily. The new conference would remain a P4 conference, just less well paid than the Big 10 and SEC.

Money will make the name brand schools leave. They are simply worth almost twice as much elsewhere as they are where they reside now.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 12:30 AM by JRsec.)
12-29-2015 12:27 AM
murrdcu Offline
1st String

(12-28-2015 09:10 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I'm not sure all the politicos will let OU leave OSU behind. I do believe Greg has some decent info, but he doesn't have a 100% accurate track record either.

Wherever OU moves they will need a partner so I do see them working out a deal with someone.

(12-29-2015 12:27 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(12-28-2015 11:36 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/ar...er-premium

Both OU's & Kansas's T3 contract with FOX will be up in about 3-4 years. The buyout is no big deal.

I disagree that ESPN makes a ton of money off of the ACC. They have stretched that profit thin trying to keep an overvalued football product in the ACC together in hopes of landing N.D..

I think there is a germ of truth to what Fluguar is saying, but only a germ. The rest is Fluguar's hype to get hits. Oklahoma has already done its shopping. They know the offers from all interested parties.

What this issue is designed to do is to spark the excuse for dissolution. If OU leaves along with Kansas then Texas will be forced to do so. Then I think we see some action. Let's say that ESPN decides to let Texas just go. UConn & West Virginia are added to the ACC to take them to a full 16 plus N.D.

The SEC takes Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State if the Big 10 won't take Iowa State and Kansas. If they do we just get the Oklahoma schools.

We're done.

Personally I think the move will be much more involved and that it will include the loss of ACC schools as well.

Why? Because with Oklahoma moving to the SEC, possibly Kansas to the Big 10, and Texas to the PAC the gulf in income will only increase.

Another issue to consider is this. If Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, North Carolina, Duke, and Virginia all move along with Florida State and Notre Dame the dissolution of both conferences would be easy. How? The formation of a new conference would either take all, or enough, of those left behind in both the Big 12 and ACC to dissolve both easily. The new conference would remain a P4 conference, just less well paid than the Big 10 and SEC.

Money will make the name brand schools leave. They are simply worth almost twice as much elsewhere as they are where they reside now.

Interesting way to dissolve the conference:
Pac gets Texas, Tech, K State and TCU.
ACC gets WVU and UConn
SEC gets OU and OSU (and possibly Kansas and Iowa State depending on B1G)
B1G gets KU and ISU

JR', your version sounds more plausible, but I don't think the B1G would double down in Iowa. Let me suggest a minor tweak.
B1G gets Kansas and Virginia
ACC gets WVU
SEC gets OU, OSU
PAC gets Texas, Tech, KSU, TCU/ISU

8 schools to dissolve the ten team B12.
12-29-2015 04:23 AM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
What if.......................ESPN was really "parking" product with Missouri and Louisville?
Maybe the SEC keeps Missouri but ESPN moves Louisville and now that they are ready, Cincinnati, to the Big 12. At that point would a joint network (ACC/Big 12) be far behind? Is Notre Dame ready to slide into Louisville's spot in the ACC (if not then there is always UConn/Temple/Navy).
If ESPN does not feel confident about keeping the lion's share of the B1G content is it necessary for the Big 12 to be kept alive for variety of ESPN content?

And just to add some fuel to the fire......Missouri to the Big 12 with Memphis to make 14 and the SEC picks up Houston (or Baylor, then Houston goes to the Big 12).

Before you pooh-pooh this unconventional scenario look at it on a map. These moves completely insulate the SEC from the B1G and strengthens their neighbors to the east and west. I would also give ESPN all of the inventory necessary moving forward.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 09:01 AM by XLance.)
12-29-2015 09:00 AM
Advertisement

5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri
(12-29-2015 09:00 AM)XLance Wrote:  What if.......................ESPN was really "parking" product with Missouri and Louisville?
Maybe the SEC keeps Missouri but ESPN moves Louisville and now that they are ready, Cincinnati, to the Big 12. At that point would a joint network (ACC/Big 12) be far behind? Is Notre Dame ready to slide into Louisville's spot in the ACC (if not then there is always UConn/Temple/Navy).
If ESPN does not feel confident about keeping the lion's share of the B1G content is it necessary for the Big 12 to be kept alive for variety of ESPN content?

And just to add some fuel to the fire......Missouri to the Big 12 with Memphis to make 14 and the SEC picks up Houston (or Baylor, then Houston goes to the Big 12).

Before you pooh-pooh this unconventional scenario look at it on a map. These moves completely insulate the SEC from the B1G and strengthens their neighbors to the east and west. I would also give ESPN all of the inventory necessary moving forward.

Missouri isn't going back to the Big 12, ever. The only place we would EVER leave for is the B1G.

Louisville isn't going to leave the ACC unless it falls apart.
12-29-2015 09:48 AM
Win5002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Big 12 & B1G

We're done.

I don't see why you think a ACC/Big 12 league with ND mentioned above would need to lag in revenues very much behind the B1G & SEC. That could be a very good league, the question is how many schools make the cut. If they stop at 16 who gets left out or are they picked up by the other power leagues.

I actually think this is the best scenario for college football is to have 4 solid leagues. The PAC league may end up being the weakest due to geography. Texas from what I have read has said that ship has sailed, there is not the media coverage of the PAC other leagues get and they don't want a bunch of 9pm or 10 pm start times for sporting events. Some left over schools may need to head to the PAC but I seriously doubt Texas does.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2015 03:45 PM by Win5002.)
12-29-2015 03:44 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-29-2015 03:44 PM)Win5002 Wrote:  

We're done.

I don't see why you think a ACC/Big 12 league with ND mentioned above would need to lag in revenues very much behind the B1G & SEC. That could be a very good league, the question is how many schools make the cut. If they stop at 16 who gets left out or are they picked up by the other power leagues.

I actually think this is the best scenario for college football is to have 4 solid leagues. The PAC league may end up being the weakest due to geography. Texas from what I have read has said that ship has sailed, there is not the media coverage of the PAC other leagues get and they don't want a bunch of 9pm or 10 pm start times for sporting events. Some left over schools may need to head to the PAC but I seriously doubt Texas does.

Let's assume a few things if we are going to speculate about this.
1. The Big 10 is not going to abandon AAU membership as a requirement.
2. The SEC isn't going to settle for non brands whether they are pursuing content, or markets.
3. The SEC and Big 10 might very well cooperate to acquire what they desire in as much as FOX and ESPN will let them.

That said if you want to build 4 balanced conferences the best way to do that is to build the 4th around some core football brands. Oklahoma and Texas fit that bill. Could Notre Dame add cachet to that duo? You bet! Would they? I don't think so and here's why. The Irish wanted Southern exposure for recruiting and enhanced presence along the population centers of the Northeast. The Irish want to play their Olympic sports against others that emphasize them. The Irish like women's basketball, men's basketball, lacrosse, and competing against other privates and against small state schools that act like privates. Are they really going to Midwest to play two football first schools and pay through the nose for travel in minor sports? I don't think so.

If the Big 10 wants to move into more Southerly recruiting grounds the price of Virginia and North Carolina will be Duke. In all likelihood 18 will be about as large as either they or the SEC can become and remain on the plus side of profitability. So who is the Big 10's 4th? Georgia Tech still fits the bill and might easily fall into that slot. Syracuse could be that one piece needed to sew up the Northeast. But Notre Dame would be the most profitable brand to land, more profitable than Georgia Tech and the niche Atlanta market they would bring, more profitable and just as effective in sewing up the Northeast as Syracuse. And for all of those thinking about adding Kansas the Jayhawks are behind all of these schools in what they could add to Big 10 coffers.

For the sake of time let's assume major crow is eaten in South Bend and the Irish finally yield to the Big 10 because all other situations that would remain are less favorable and that is just a fact unless they want to remain independent but without a way into the college football playoffs and likely in a lower tier for the sport, which they don't and could not fathom doing. Football and N.D. are too intertwined in identity to ever be separated and relegated to any level but the top. I'm afraid that a Big 10 landing Duke, Virginia and North Carolina would be far too enticing and profitable to say no to again. They'll demand a concession and that likely would be to remain in the Eastern division of the Big 10 as opposed to a new Central or the Western division.

As far as 18 schools in three divisions goes it is a preferable model in many ways to 4 division of 5. The 5 divisional games provides a truer division champ. The wildcard spot left open to go with the 3 divisional winners for the Conference Championship Series would be the best possible balance for years in which one division is significantly stronger than the other two.

Finally with those 4 representing two large Southern States but still academically compatible with the Big 10 and contiguous to their footprint and with 3 huge brands (2 in hoops and one in football) coming in what else could they really want? And more importantly who else could add a dollar to the value of those 18? In short outside of Texas and Oklahoma, nobody!

Now if the SEC understands that a new conference will be built around Texas and Oklahoma which schools from the present ACC make the most sense for them? Under these circumstances adding the North Carolina and Virginia markets would be a plus. North Carolina State and Virginia Tech do that, but don't add home run content. Florida State adds that and cements the SEC in the state of Florida. Clemson brings another content brand, though not as strong as that of a Florida State or Notre Dame.

With those 4 the SEC fills the Southeast with its presence, consolidates its footprint and solidifies its brand.

Now we get to the leftovers:
Boston College, Connecticut, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, West Virginia

Baylor, Georgia Tech, Miami, Texas, T.C.U., Texas Tech

Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

How the PAC comports itself is it's own business.

Those are 4 relatively strong conferences each with some brands and geographical integrity.

Nothing is going to stop the Big 10 and SEC from taking those that add the most value to their conferences. Something like this is about as well as things could turn out.

Wake is out.
12-29-2015 06:38 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2015 12:27 AM)JRsec Wrote:  Both OU's & Kansas's T3 contract with FOX will be up in about 3-4 years. The buyout is no big deal.

We're done.

I find that interesting although I don't see ESPN letting go of Texas. ESPN has gone to a lot of trouble to keep UT in the fold. Some say that was the whole reason behind the creation of the LHN...to keep Texas from getting too far outside of Disney's influence. I'm not sure that is correct, but it has functioned that way nonetheless.

I think something like this could work: UT, OU, OSU, KU, ISU, and WVU added to the SEC. The league gets 3 new AAU schools, 3 very strong brands, 1 good up and coming brand in OSU, and a few new markets.

Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State

Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, Ole Miss

Mississippi State, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia

Then Texas Tech, TCU, Houston, and one more to the PAC.

The B1G doesn't really have anything to gain out of the Big 12 except OU and KU. I don't think they get OU and Texas surely doesn't want to go to the B1G. They don't really have a good partner to go with KU outside of OU though and I think that will make it easier for ESPN to keep KU in the fold. With Mizzou, OU, and OSU aboard, most of KU's old rivals will be in one league.

The addition of ISU would be more about academics while tapping a market without a professional franchise, I think, will pay dividends in other areas.

The ACC doesn't really gain anything from adding WVU. The markets would be redundant and unless ND is coming aboard then they don't need another school anyway. I don't see ND coming aboard until their hand is forced.

WVU fits into the SEC a little better while bringing a slice of Pittsburgh and metro DC with them. Their football brand could flourish in the SEC and, with a West Virginian diaspora around the country, might actually be a plus when it comes to a streaming model.

Of course, this works in a world with brokering. It wouldn't make the most economic sense when the GOR expires.
12-29-2015 11:45 PM
5thTiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Missouri
16 is the Max. Any dreams of 18+ are just dreams that will never happen.

In order for Wake to be left out, it would mean the ACC crumbled and got poached to death. I think they got a lifeline with Notre Dame and are pretty safe.

The only way we go to a P4 is if Texas and friends go to the PAC. Otherwise, they aren't going to 16. Schools like Washington and Oregon are not going to want Baylor and TCU for travel, when those brands don't bring in the dough to make it worth their cost.
12-30-2015 10:00 AM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2015 10:00 AM)5thTiger Wrote:  The only way we go to a P4 is if Texas and friends go to the PAC. Otherwise, they aren't going to 16. Schools like Washington and Oregon are not going to want Baylor and TCU for travel, when those brands don't bring in the dough to make it worth their cost.

I'm not so sure about that. The baseline for the PAC is much different than for the B1G or SEC. Obviously, they would prefer UT and OU, but a couple of strong TX schools would probably add to the average. You have to remember that the PAC has the 2nd smallest footprint of the P5 conferences. Their network profits thus far have been very pedestrian. Tapping the TX market could help them out quite a bit. That and the TX schools aren't much further away than CU.
12-30-2015 12:57 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2015 10:00 AM)5thTiger Wrote:  16 is the Max. Any dreams of 18+ are just dreams that will never happen.

In order for Wake to be left out, it would mean the ACC crumbled and got poached to death. I think they got a lifeline with Notre Dame and are pretty safe.

The only way we go to a P4 is if Texas and friends go to the PAC. Otherwise, they aren't going to 16. Schools like Washington and Oregon are not going to want Baylor and TCU for travel, when those brands don't bring in the dough to make it worth their cost.

The reason I don't think 16 is the max is simply because of money. Some leagues can make money off of more schools so there's no reason to arbitrarily cap things at 16. Now, it may be the case that conferences move to 16 and stop before making more additions at a later time, but I don't see 16 as a stopping point.

We could go to a P4 easily though. I've said before that the easiest way for the Big 12 to be parceled out is for ESPN to send 4 each to the SEC and ACC respectively. The ACC is strengthened and can get a decent network deal while the SEC prospers and ESPN controls more content.

Something like:

OU, OSU, KU, and ISU to the SEC

UT, TT, Baylor, and WVU to the ACC

---or

UT, OU, KU, and ISU to the SEC

Baylor, TCU, OSU, and KSU to the ACC
12-30-2015 01:56 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
The only league that would or could accommodate more than 16 is the PAC and that is only IF thy were to add 6 Big 12 schools to form a six team pod (3 x 6).
For every other league, the max is 16.
12-30-2015 04:13 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(12-30-2015 04:13 PM)XLance Wrote:  The only league that would or could accommodate more than 16 is the PAC and that is only IF thy were to add 6 Big 12 schools to form a six team pod (3 x 6).
For every other league, the max is 16.

The maximum for any conference is limited only by profitability and reasonable scheduling. The first one diminishes in degree of likely prospects as each new addition is made. Right now I estimate that to be around 4 possible additions before the Big 10 and SEC reach diminishing returns. The latter one is capped only by the number of conference games that can be played per season that guarantees a rotation through all conference schools in 4 years. Playing an 11 game conference schedule with 1 OOC against another P5 caps that number at 24 members to a conference in order to rotate through the schools in 4 years.

Profitability will therefore likely cap the number well below 24. 18 is very doable. 20 is possible but highly unlikely.
12-30-2015 04:44 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

According to Flug, UConn is now in the mix for a spot in the Big 12. He also thinks Cincinnati is a lock at this point. He's predicting an announcement will come before the end of the Summer.

We'll see if he's got decent info soon enough.

Will be interesting to see what happens if the Big 12 expands. I would think that would pretty much end any possibility of brokering. Not only would more schools necessarily be involved in the brokering, but it would appear that OU and UT would be genuinely interested in saving the league. I think ultimately they will fail to do so, but if they're trying then that would signal they won't bail until the end of the GOR.
01-03-2016 03:47 PM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
UConn is talking to the big 12 but not about UConn joining the big 12. I will give you a hint, they are serving similar purpose as West Virginia once did.
01-03-2016 06:23 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-03-2016 06:23 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  UConn is talking to the big 12 but not about UConn joining the big 12. I will give you a hint, they are serving similar purpose as West Virginia once did.

It is quite possible they are acting as an intermediary for discussions with the Big 10 to avoid tortuous interference charges. That could be their ticket into the Big 10. A Kansas / UConn move, or an Oklahoma / UConn move could be in the making, or even something larger. But one also has to consider another possibility here. UConn and Cincinnati may well get an invitation, but with no new GOR being signed, but with both of them signing the existing GOR. If the latter is the case it is merely the adding of enough schools so that Texas and Oklahoma cannot be accused of destroying the conference when they leave, or Kansas and Oklahoma for that matter.

If 10 schools are left (the same number required for the original GOR language) then the contract may get extended, but would not have to have any more than 10 schools to remain valid. Should two schools not agree tot he extension it becomes their ticket out for nothing more than exit fees.
01-03-2016 07:06 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(01-03-2016 07:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 06:23 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  UConn is talking to the big 12 but not about UConn joining the big 12. I will give you a hint, they are serving similar purpose as West Virginia once did.

It is quite possible they are acting as an intermediary for discussions with the Big 10 to avoid tortuous interference charges. That could be their ticket into the Big 10. A Kansas / UConn move, or an Oklahoma / UConn move could be in the making, or even something larger. But one also has to consider another possibility here. UConn and Cincinnati may well get an invitation, but with no new GOR being signed, but with both of them signing the existing GOR. If the latter is the case it is merely the adding of enough schools so that Texas and Oklahoma cannot be accused of destroying the conference when they leave, or Kansas and Oklahoma for that matter.

If 10 schools are left (the same number required for the original GOR language) then the contract may get extended, but would not have to have any more than 10 schools to remain valid. Should two schools not agree tot he extension it becomes their ticket out for nothing more than exit fees.

It's not just about The Big Ten. They would be acting as intermediary for ESPN. UConn's best chance at getting into a conference is with The ACC. ESPN only has enough leverage with The ACC in terms of being able to push UConn into a conference. The ACC will accept UConn if they get their Network in return. They get their Network if ESPN can turn The Longhorn Network into The ACC Network.

So UConn isn't just talking about schools going to The Big Ten. They are talking about schools going to The Big Ten, The SEC, The ACC and The PAC.
01-03-2016 07:25 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-03-2016 07:25 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(01-03-2016 07:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

It's not just about The Big Ten. They would be acting as intermediary for ESPN. UConn's best chance at getting into a conference is with The ACC. ESPN only has enough leverage with The ACC in terms of being able to push UConn into a conference. The ACC will accept UConn if they get their Network in return. They get their Network if ESPN can turn The Longhorn Network into The ACC Network.

So UConn isn't just talking about schools going to The Big Ten. They are talking about schools going to The Big Ten, The SEC, The ACC and The PAC.

Since UConn is not a P5 member that would be the perfect vehicle for brokering. No interference charges at all.

So UConn, Texas (as a partial), Baylor, Cincy & T.C.U. to the ACC, N.D. stays a partial?

ACC moves to 16 full and 2 partial?

Kansas & Oklahoma to the Big 10?

Virginia Tech and N.C. State to the SEC?

Iowa State, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State to the PAC?

That might work but I think it is too cliche now.

If I had to guess it would be something like this:

UConn to the ACC & Notre Dame goes all in. ACC stands at 16.

Kansas and Missouri to the Big 10 and the Big 10 stands at 16.

Oklahoma, West Virginia, and Baylor to the SEC. SEC stands at 16.

Texas, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech & T.C.U. to the PAC. PAC stands at 18.

What's your guess here?
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2016 07:48 PM by JRsec.)
01-03-2016 07:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.