Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MBB : Rice @ South Alabama
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
MBB : Rice @ South Alabama
Anyone know if this game will be televised or available online?
12-22-2015 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

RE: MBB : Rice @ South Alabama
http://usajaguars.com/news/2015/12/21/MB...53301.aspx

Looks like jagnationtv.com will have a webcast.. I'll obviously watch it if it's free, but I actually might listen to the USA radio broadcast, instead of JP. His performance at the New Mexico game left a lot to be desired!
12-22-2015 02:02 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

Open investigation, it's $5.95.
12-22-2015 02:03 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Does anyone else believe that this might be the most important basketball game that Rice has played in years?

Beating New Mexico was a heck of an accomplishment, not meaning to take anything away from that in the slightest. But now the test is to see if we can string a bunch of these together in a row.

I go back to the 60s when Knodel was turning around basketball. We had a couple of years where we would upset somebody, then fall flat on our faces the next time out. Then we suddenly learned how to string them together and won a conference championship. Yes, it was a terrible conference, and yes,we got blown out in our first game at the Dance (although it wasn't called the Dance then). But the team that beat us didn't lose until they faced UCLA in the final four, and they came back to win the third place game (they still had them then).
12-22-2015 02:50 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(12-22-2015 02:50 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Does anyone else believe that this might be the most important basketball game that Rice has played in years?

Beating New Mexico was a heck of an accomplishment, not meaning to take anything away from that in the slightest. But now the test is to see if we can string a bunch of these together in a row.

I go back to the 60s when Knodel was turning around basketball. We had a couple of years where we would upset somebody, then fall flat on our faces the next time out. Then we suddenly learned how to string them together and won a conference championship. Yes, it was a terrible conference, and yes,we got blown out in our first game at the Dance (although it wasn't called the Dance then). But the team that beat us didn't lose until they faced UCLA in the final four, and they came back to win the third place game (they still had them then).

Was thinking the exact same thing.
12-22-2015 02:57 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-22-2015 02:57 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 02:50 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Does anyone else believe that this might be the most important basketball game that Rice has played in years?
Was thinking the exact same thing.

I really think it may mean as much as win big tonight and this team wins 20, lose tonight and this team struggles to get much past 10.
12-22-2015 03:01 PM
Advertisement

owl95 Offline
1st String

Certainly this game is a huge test for the team in terms of remaining focused and bringing a consistent effort every game. Both things they will need if they want to make noise in conference play.
12-22-2015 03:37 PM
bobreinhold1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
We really match up well against them. Their two biggest starters are 6-6 and 6-7. Their 7-1 freshman post is 9th on team in PT. Williams is their best player and averages 15.4. Two others avg, 9.5 and 9. Our test tonight as others have alluded to is mental toughness. Will we be ready to play?
12-22-2015 03:48 PM
ESE84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice then UH

New Orleans BowlDonators

I am trying to not look too far ahead to UTEP on January 1. But that is a nice conference opener against a Miners team that is really struggling. It would be big to get off to a fast start in conference play.
12-22-2015 03:58 PM
Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
(12-22-2015 02:50 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  and yes,we got blown out in our first game at the Dance (although it wasn't called the Dance then). But the team that beat us didn't lose until they faced UCLA in the final four, and they came back to win the third place game (they still had them then).

IIRC, that team was New Mexico...
12-22-2015 04:56 PM
WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(12-22-2015 04:56 PM)Old Sammy Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 02:50 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  and yes,we got blown out in our first game at the Dance (although it wasn't called the Dance then). But the team that beat us didn't lose until they faced UCLA in the final four, and they came back to win the third place game (they still had them then).

New Mexico State.
12-22-2015 04:58 PM
Advertisement

Old Sammy Offline
1st String

I Root For: truffles

New Orleans BowlDonators
(12-22-2015 04:58 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(12-22-2015 04:56 PM)Old Sammy Wrote:  

New Mexico State.

I blame early Alzheimer's. I was there and still have the ticket stub, FWIW.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 05:00 PM by Old Sammy.)
12-22-2015 04:59 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

It's hard to establish consistency overnight. While it is indisputable that we are improving, I really can't envision this team all of a sudden coming out and winning eight or nine times out of ten. We lost to HBU, we stunned UNM; both events are single data points, and it is difficult to predict whether we will tend towards one of those extremes going forward or end up firmly in the middle.

I won't be too concerned if we lose this one tonight, even by double digits. However, if such an event is followed up by two or three more sub-par efforts, I will start to scale back my revised expectations for this season (which are to be in the top half of CUSA and to win one conference tourney game).

Overall, I expect us to be consistently difficult for opponents to deal with in the last quarter of the season. We definitely can win any game on our schedule; I just can't predict how many we actually will. With a short bench, energy levels might become a real problem in February.

All that said, the win over UNM was HUGE for us, and it is definitely something the program and the school needed. Badly. It will endure as a major achievement for Rhoades and co. The comeback effort by the players was absolutely astonishing.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2015 08:31 PM by Wiessman.)
12-22-2015 08:19 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Quick start and then a dry spell plus giving up some 3's. 20-13 with just over 10 min to go.
Signed up for the video which of course didn't work at first (except for the commercials) but support got the game up and other than the fact that the S Alabama announcer's sounds like JP's brother the quality is good.
12-22-2015 08:32 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(12-22-2015 08:19 PM)Wiessman Wrote:  

It's hard to establish consistency overnight. While it is indisputable that we are improving, I really can't envision this team all of a sudden coming out and winning eight or nine times out of ten. We lost to HBU, we stunned UNM; both events are single data points, and it is difficult to predict whether we will tend towards one of those extremes going forward or end up firmly in the middle.

I won't be too concerned if we lose this one tonight, even by double digits. However, if such an event is followed up by two or three more sub-par efforts, I will start to scale back my revised expectations for this season (which are to be in the top half of CUSA and to win one conference tourney game).

Overall, I expect us to be consistently difficult for opponents to deal with in the last quarter of the season. We definitely can win any game on our schedule; I just can't predict how many we actually will. With a short bench, energy levels might become a real problem in February.

All that said, the win over UNM was HUGE for us, and it is definitely something the program and the school needed. Badly. It will endure as a major achievement for Rhoades and co.

100% agree. It's absurd to think this is a hugely important game as if we're about to rip off 20 in a row. This is a process, we're not there yet, take improvement as it comes, with its ups and downs. Don't read too much into any one game
12-22-2015 08:32 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
7 TO's to none with the Owls in the lead unfortunately. Down my 10 and just turned it over again.
12-22-2015 08:35 PM
Advertisement

Wiessman Away
All American

Digging an early hole. Down 25-15 at the sub-8 TV timeout.
12-22-2015 08:36 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Ouch
12-22-2015 08:39 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

Back within 4.
12-22-2015 08:42 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

Letcher-Ellis misses a front end with a chance to get the deficit down to 2. The Owls are 3 for 7 from the line so far; bad free throw shooting drives me insane.

27-23 at the sub-4 timeout.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2015 08:58 AM by Wiessman.)
12-22-2015 08:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.