ECU Pirates

Record: 6-4
RPI: 198
SOS: 271
Offensive PPG: 70.4 (242nd in D-I)
Defensive PPG: 65.9 (75th in D-I)
Vs. Top 200 RPI: 0-4
Vs. 200+ RPI: 6-0

It's difficult to get a read on ECU 10 games into their season. They've feasted on weak competition, with the combined record of teams they've defeated being 8-41. However, they have risen to their level of opponent at times as well, with single digit losses to Cal (8-2), Arkansas-LR (6-0) and Charleston (6-2).

Defense seems to be what keeps the Pirates in many of their tougher games this year. They are outrebounding opponents by a +5.1 margin per game, and are in the top 100 nationally in 3-pt FG % defense (.304).

Individually, Sophomore guard B.J. Tyson leads the team in scoring (14.4 ppg), three-point shooting (.440), and also chips in 6.1 rebounds per contest. On Sunday, Tyson led the way in a 71-60 home win over NC A&T, with 21 points (7-11, 2-4 shooting) and 2 steals. Freshman guard Kentrell Barkley has also been impressive off the bench, sporting a 1.9 assist:turnover ratio.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2015 11:38 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-14-2015 08:54 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
RE: ECU Preview
Saw them play Charleston and wasn't impressed. Seem like they have no real offensive plan and looked out of control, even with no pressure.

UNCW 83 EC(an't beat)U(s) 68
12-14-2015 03:03 PM
swampcougar1 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CofC
You should handle them easily. We played them with 2 starting bigs out with injuries and still beat them on the boards by 1. Another of our bigs picked up his 4th foul with over ten minutes left. Left us with a small line up the last ten minutes. We had numerous steals against them. I predict they will make in excess of 20 to,s against your press
12-14-2015 05:40 PM
geezerhawkdad Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UNCW
Kentrell Barkley is the young man who had an altercation with former Tar Heel PJ Hairston when Hairston committed a faux pas a week a few years back.
12-14-2015 11:16 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(12-14-2015 05:40 PM)swampcougar1 Wrote:  You should handle them easily. We played them with 2 starting bigs out with injuries and still beat them on the boards by 1. Another of our bigs picked up his 4th foul with over ten minutes left.

Our best big man Nzege was out that game as well.

Quote:Left us with a small line up the last ten minutes. We had numerous steals against them. I predict they will make in excess of 20 to,s against your press

We had 10 turnovers in the game and lost by 4 points on the road. Cool story though.

Our sophmore BJ Tyson is legit. He's a top 5 or 10 player in the AAC easy.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/B.J.-Tyson-87093/

Freshman Barkley has been our best player. 22 points, 10 rebounds ,5 assists 2 steals 1 block on 12 shots on C of C off the bench.

Their are like 5000 D1 players and Barkley has the 80th highest Player Efficiency Rating in the nation through 10 games (all D1 games). Bigger sample than most as well.

We honestly probably have 2 of the top 10-15 players in the AAC being conservative and better top two than most teams we play that are only a Freshman and Sophmore and well screw it up. Lebo's rotations suck though so there's always that.

If he could actually figure out you need to play clearly all conference talents and guys eventually getting NBA workouts/contracts more than role player minutes off the bench year after year, or not hockey sub 10+ guys in and play complete bench scrubs way to much so you could develop a little chemistry we might actually have something but little faith in that at this point anything changes.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 02:20 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-15-2015 09:04 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Look who's back... Shady's back...
12-15-2015 01:32 PM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Cut him some slack his athletic program is in shambles
12-15-2015 01:39 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

We got a new chancellor coming in at the end of the school year and I don't think our AD will last 2 years. Jimmy Bass was like our 3rd in command a couple years ago, maybe he's got his on the job training enough now and wants the big job. Seems to got you out of your decade of shambles run of APR bans and 250+ RPI. You should probably hope we win big and don't come take him back.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 02:24 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-15-2015 02:19 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 02:19 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  and wants the big job.
Maybe an ACC job will open up?
12-15-2015 02:22 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 02:22 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 02:19 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  and wants the big job.
Maybe an ACC job will open up?

Like his old boss Terry Holland? You see the quality of the conference we play in lately? National Champ UConn in men and womens basketball, Fiesta Bowl victory in football, 3 top 25 teams currently in football, several in basketball etc. Can't deny we are still in a great place. We hired Compher the year his football hire took NIU to a BCS bowl. I think that was probably fraud and disagree with most everything he's done here but at the time he was hot stuff nationally. We'd get another good leader if this does go badly. Still possible maybe he made a smart move firing Ruff and he's just the smartest person in the room. Doubt it but if not he won't last anyway. IE if you like your AD might want to hope ours does well because I'm pretty sure he was interviewed and wanted our job last time.

It's kind of like what I told you a few years ago when you were having a party about teams in CUSA leaving before us. I specifically told you be careful what you wish for because like I said it would probably cost you ODU. It did an not only that the chaos eventually cost you all the good teams in your conference close by.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 03:14 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-15-2015 02:39 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 02:39 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 02:22 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  [quote='StillJonesing' pid='12791735' dateline='1450207175']
and wants the big job.
It did an not only that the chaos eventually cost you all the good teams in your conference close by.
Mason is a Mess now. It cost ODU and VCU. Obviously VCU is a big hoops loss, but IMO ODU was replaced with a comparable Charleston.
12-15-2015 03:13 PM
Advertisement

StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 03:13 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Mason is a Mess now. It cost ODU and VCU. Obviously VCU is a big hoops loss, but IMO ODU was replaced with a comparable Charleston.

Georgia State has been good for several years now and just won a game in the NCAA's last year. Don't pretend like losing the 4 best and closest programs to you and replacing them with teams like Elon and C of C who were just a 300 RPI team last year is the same as ODU who was in the NIT final 4 last season and draws 3+ times as man fans as C of C

I told you be careful what you wish for because CUSA would just take ODU and destabilize your conference and that's exactly what happened with Hollands leading the party to bring them on when they weren't even a candidate really. He helped get that done. Cheer for us to collapse all you want Bass wanted the job and was in the finalist last time. We may even need a basketball coach by that time.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 03:27 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-15-2015 03:22 PM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Charleston and Elon are both "closer" your geographical argument is null and void. Sure, the ones that left were good but the cupboard isn't bare. Back on track. See what happens when you show up? Tomorrow's game:
78-63 UNCW
12-15-2015 03:32 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 03:32 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Charleston and Elon are both "closer" your geographical argument is null and void. Sure, the ones that left were good but the cupboard isn't bare. Back on track. See what happens when you show up? Tomorrow's game:
78-63 UNCW

Pretty confident considering your best player is a walk on from Barton College.
12-15-2015 03:56 PM
SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

(12-15-2015 03:56 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 03:32 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Charleston and Elon are both "closer" your geographical argument is null and void. Sure, the ones that left were good but the cupboard isn't bare. Back on track. See what happens when you show up? Tomorrow's game:
78-63 UNCW

Didn't take long for your ignorance to surface. I don't know much about your team, so I can't say too much. But, if you think we are weak and lean on one or two players, you have a surprise coming.
12-15-2015 04:16 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

10 players averaging at least 14 minutes per game (all but one of those under 25 minutes per game), 7 players averaging 7.0+ points per game, and Jonesin thinks he can peg who our "best player" is. Color me unsurprised.

It's cool that your squad are the Fightin' BJ Tyson's and all, but we operate a little differently than most teams these days. We're not a collection of talent; we're a team with a system that works. It'll be fun systematically dismantling your team tomorrow night like the Rebels destroying the Death Star. (It is Star Wars week, after all)
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 04:25 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
12-15-2015 04:20 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

Ok. This is an EZU/UNCW basketball thread, so let's get to it.

Home game for the Pirates. EZU has two of the best players in the AAC. Since you've decided to come to our board, what's your prediction Still?
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 04:28 PM by 82hawk.)
12-15-2015 04:28 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 04:16 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  
(12-15-2015 03:56 PM)StillJonesing Wrote:  
78-63 UNCW

Didn't take long for your ignorance to surface. I don't know much about your team, so I can't say too much. But, if you think we are weak and lean on one or two players, you have a surprise coming.

We'll, I'm actually fairly familiar with several of your players. I will say since you guys took Coker and Milligan off our schedule though (thanks BTW03-thumbsup) it's a little hard to cut through what's the fluff in the minutes and stats.

Pretty clearly Flemming has been your best player though. You going to dispute that? Your coach looks about as idiotic as Lebo bringing him off the bench.

I do remember Bryan and Ingram as role players on a lame UNCC team from CUSA a couple years ago and they are big parts when you actually played D1 teams. Bryan was your best big vs Georgetown and Ingram played more minutes than anyone.
12-15-2015 04:31 PM
StillJonesing Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-15-2015 04:20 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  10 players averaging at least 14 minutes per game (all but one of those under 25 minutes per game), 7 players averaging 7.0+ points per game, and Jonesin thinks he can peg who our "best player" is. Color me unsurprised.

What's does that tell you exactly? You play Milligan and Coker in only 6 games so far. Of course your stats will be skewed as heck with blowout games like that that were never in doubt games making up a 3rd of them. Hell we've played 10 or 12 people most games and it's just stupid. If your 12th man is as good as your best player or even 3rd or 4th good luck with that.

Quote:It's cool that your squad are the Fightin' BJ Tyson's

He's been great but he's not even been our best player.

Quote: and all, but we operate a little differently than most teams these days. We're not a collection of talent; we're a team with a system that works.

Yeah that's stupid to hockey sub and sacrifice chemistry unless you have a bunch of mcdonald's AA's you want to try to keep happy. Coach K year after year plays about 7 players and relies heavily mostly on his Starters 30+ minutes all the way back to his Christan Lattner teams.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 04:52 PM by StillJonesing.)
12-15-2015 04:42 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Lol. I guess we will be entertained for another week with all the great things happening at EZU...again. But, as usual, the talk and reality have little to do with each other. It is nice to hear about all the great things OTHER schools in the conference with EZU are accomplishing though.

Basketball fantasy...check. Football fantasty...check. Baseball fantasy...check.

Jimmy Bass? Sure, he may go back for the money. But he'd be in a no win situation, just like every AD at UNC Greenville. A delusional fan base pretending their school is top flight, when nobody else does. So, expectations always exceed reality.

Meanwhile, UNCW will keep chugging along. We'll live our pitiful lives at the beach, content in our knowledge that UNCW is now at 15,000 students and a Chancellor aiming at 20,000. Our students are top 3 in the state, top graduation rates, with demand to attend UNCW outstripping our ability to handle them.

We all agree. EZU took a different path than UNCW many years ago. But, EZU has hit their ceiling. They're as good as they will ever be, and EZU will NEVER overcome it's location in the cow pastures of North Carolina. UNCW is on the rise in every possible metric. Maintaining and increasing quality along with growth.

But, you keep lying to yourself. It's the EZU way.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2015 04:58 PM by 82hawk.)
12-15-2015 04:53 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.