Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New football staff member
Bookmark and Share
SylvaniaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
New football staff member
Football Scoop is reporting that Ricky Ciccone from Ohio Dominican is joining the Rocket football staff.
http://ohiodominicanpanthers.com/sports/...cone_Ricky
12-08-2015 05:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: New football staff member
The mount union coaching tree spreads it's roots further.
12-08-2015 05:52 PM
TampaRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Another Mount Union guy...no problem with having a few Mount Union guys, but don't these guys know anyone outside of there? That's 2 new hires and both are from MU. I started a new job this summer and am responsible for building a sales team...I left plenty from my previous employer who are capable of being part of the team I'm building...but, I've chosen to look for new ideas and perspective from people who have industry experience, but varied backgrounds.
12-08-2015 05:54 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Coaches who hire their friends are doomed to fail. Well known to most coaches.
12-08-2015 06:10 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Can't we get some new staff who have FBS experience? Or at least FCS? These programs (Heidelberg, Ohio Dominican) don't really "recruit", certainly not the same level of players we're looking for. At a time when we will likely lose some of our "verbal commits", what connections do either of the 2 newest staff members bring that immediately helps with recruiting?

Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed thus far, but we'll see who else he adds. Ultimately, his future is tied to the effectiveness of the staff, so for better or worse it's his call...but it wouldn't hurt for him to hire a couple guys who aren't Mount Union alums.
12-08-2015 06:13 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
(12-08-2015 06:13 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Can't we get some new staff who have FBS experience? Or at least FCS? These programs (Heidelberg, Ohio Dominican) don't really "recruit", certainly not the same level of players we're looking for. At a time when we will likely lose some of our "verbal commits", what connections do either of the 2 newest staff members bring that immediately helps with recruiting?

Have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed thus far, but we'll see who else he adds. Ultimately, his future is tied to the effectiveness of the staff, so for better or worse it's his call...but it wouldn't hurt for him to hire a couple guys who aren't Mount Union alums.

D3 coaches do recruit, probably more so than D1 coaches, and probably more locally than D1 schools. D3 schools don't have nearly the recruiting budget, so they need to stay closer to home, so they probably have good/better relationship with schools within 3-4 hrs.

Hopefully this is it with the Mt Union/D3/D2 guys, tho.
12-08-2015 06:17 PM
Advertisement

RocketJeff Offline
Heisman

It's looking like we should have the best div 3 coaching staff in all of Ohio next year.
12-08-2015 06:21 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-08-2015 06:17 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 06:13 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Can't we get some new staff who have FBS experience? Or at least FCS? These programs (Heidelberg, Ohio Dominican) don't really "recruit", certainly not the same level of players we're looking for. At a time when we will likely lose some of our "verbal commits", what connections do either of the 2 newest staff members bring that immediately helps with recruiting?

D3 coaches do recruit, probably more so than D1 coaches, and probably more locally than D1 schools. D3 schools don't have nearly the recruiting budget, so they need to stay closer to home, so they probably have good/better relationship with schools within 3-4 hrs.

I don't doubt that it is very challenging to find appropriately skilled athletes to play any sport at those levels, particularly if a scholarship package of some sort can't be put together for the higher-cost private schools...but I don't want to "steal" recruits from Heidelberg & Ohio Dominican. I'm just concerned that these 2 guys might not be running in the same recruiting circles as the staffs at any of the other MAC schools. I could very well be wrong; I'm just having difficulty believing that Heidelberg & Ohio Dominican have made recruiting calls on, say, any of the players who we have/had on our "verbal commit" list?
12-08-2015 06:26 PM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Looks as if Candle stole another potential assistant coach right from under Iowa State's nose. 03-wink

Now if he can do as well with recruits then all it should all be OK.
12-08-2015 06:30 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Ciccone coached RB at DII Ohio Dominican last year. Before that he was the Co-OC at Bluffton University. He has coaching experience at three different high schools in the state of Ohio and knows many high school coaches in the state of Ohio. Yep, he graduated from Mount Union and I believe he was a GA there for a year, so there is a Mount Union tie. So what? Mount Union is one of the most successful football schools in DIII. Most of these Mount Union guys have more coaching experience at other schools after they left Mount Union then they had combined at Mount Union. So who cares?
12-08-2015 06:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(12-08-2015 06:26 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  I could very well be wrong; I'm just having difficulty believing that Heidelberg & Ohio Dominican have made recruiting calls on, say, any of the players who we have/had on our "verbal commit" list?

Maybe not the players, but they've made hundreds of calls and visits to those players' coaches for other players. If someone can recruit, he can recruit at any level given the school he is at is not a total bottom-feeder. They are selling these recruits on the University of Toledo (not Heidelberg and Ohio Dominican) and the head coach at the University of Toledo.
12-08-2015 06:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
I don't think coaches at Div I, II or III are necessarily less knowledgeable or less capable--but sometimes it's not the right fit. I'll take a wait and see on this hire.

http://ohiodominicanpanthers.com/sports/...cone_Ricky
12-08-2015 07:43 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

Exactly, he has deep roots in Ohio, both high school and college level. Lots of up side. Looks to be on the younger side. Let's see how it plays out.
12-08-2015 08:04 PM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-08-2015 08:04 PM)NewMex RocketFan Wrote:  

Exactly, he has deep roots in Ohio, both high school and college level. Lots of up side. Looks to be on the younger side. Let's see how it plays out.

DIII coaches don't have to coach against elite athletes. UT isn't Ohio State, but there's a world of difference at any level of DI. Most of these private school DIII teams recruit the high achieving suburban kid. Not sure how much experience the have going after city kids or anyone further than 200 miles from their campus. How about hiring some ex UT players?
12-08-2015 08:34 PM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators

I'm with you. Of all the Div. I schools and staffs, a program that spent some weeks in the top 25 can't attract some experienced people?
12-08-2015 09:31 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

This rush to get coaches for a Bowl game seems to be by-passing some processes that I'd imagine are university mandate.

Doesn't Mt. Union have any non-white guys? Sooner or later, someone's going to pick a nit (that I'm starting to think really needs picking). Is it only one side is showing or is it as bad as it looks? This good-ol boy is bothersome, that's NOT how a university hires. How is it the AD isn't stepping in here? BGSU can go all the way to Texas to find a high quality coach and we can't get out the neighborhood?
12-08-2015 09:50 PM
Advertisement

MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 09:50 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  This rush to get coaches for a Bowl game seems to be by-passing some processes that I'd imagine are university mandate.

Doesn't Mt. Union have any non-white guys? Sooner or later, someone's going to pick a nit (that I'm starting to think really needs picking). Is it only one side is showing or is it as bad as it looks? This good-ol boy is bothersome, that's NOT how a university hires. How is it the AD isn't stepping in here? BGSU can go all the way to Texas to find a high quality coach and we can't get out the neighborhood?

For the love of God...

I guess UT is now a racist school, with a racist coach, and racist AD.

And if UT hired a coach with only 3 yrs of college coaching experience, everyone would be going apesh!t on here.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 10:01 PM by MidnightBlueGold.)
12-08-2015 09:52 PM
RangerRocket Offline
Rangers Lead The Way

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(12-08-2015 09:31 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

I'm with you. Of all the Div. I schools and staffs, a program that spent some weeks in the top 25 can't attract some experienced people?

Agree, seriously...
12-08-2015 09:53 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2015 09:52 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 09:50 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  This rush to get coaches for a Bowl game seems to be by-passing some processes that I'd imagine are university mandate.

For the love of God...

and responses like yours are exactly how something like that would come about. When we get to the point where just observations and questions are shouted down as you're attempting to do, then the university does take a very wrong turn.
12-08-2015 10:03 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 10:03 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 09:52 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  

For the love of God...

and responses like yours are exactly how something like that would come about. When we get to the point where just observations and questions are shouted down as you're attempting to do, then the university does take a very wrong turn.

Yes, because the 1st 3 hires, of what will probably be a dozen positions, are white, we need to start panicking.
12-08-2015 10:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.