ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The New Football Stadium Thread
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
The New Football Stadium Thread
Post any information you have here or discuss the pros and cons of a new stadium in a civil manner.

I personally think we need one but only at the present site because razing perfectly usable student housing and rebuilding it unnecessarily adds to the cost of the stadium.

I envision a stadium like Maryland's Byrd Stadium at a slightly smaller scale where the east side of Foreman field will have a second deck and the smaller west side stands (because of Bluestone Ave.) will include suites.

[Image: maryland-byrd-stadium.jpg]
12-08-2015 03:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

12thmonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: The New Football Stadium Thread
I know this is a dugout but this looks beautiful and with both sides finished that would be something i am interested in at 30~35 K

[Image: Aerial-small.jpg]
12-08-2015 06:05 AM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(12-08-2015 06:05 AM)12thmonarch Wrote:  I know this is a dugout but this looks beautiful and with both sides finished that would be something i am interested in at 30~35 K

[Image: Aerial-small.jpg]

As beautiful as this is and I know we've talked about it before, I don't think we can dig a hole in the ground and build a stadium there, especially at the Powhatan site.

UNLESS we build a hill and do it from there!
12-08-2015 08:37 AM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
I think we build on the water site and our stadium is nicely balanced. We won't have one side of the stadium all jacked up ugly like.
12-08-2015 08:51 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Old Dominion
(12-08-2015 08:51 AM)odu83alumni Wrote:  I think we build on the water site and our stadium is nicely balanced. We won't have one side of the stadium all jacked up ugly like.

We may have a uniformed and balanced stadium eventually, but if the goal is to add seats as we need them, it will probably require an unbalanced stadium for a number of years.
12-08-2015 08:54 AM
ODUi Offline
1st String

I don't mind an unbalanced asymmetrical stadium... We'll call it character 03-thumbsup
12-08-2015 09:19 AM
Advertisement

DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 09:19 AM)ODUi Wrote:  I don't mind an unbalanced asymmetrical stadium... We'll call it character 03-thumbsup

As long as it isn't totally off balance like JMU's. I think what S Miss has would work for us. Gameday in the end zone and the sides pushed in towards the field. Size is good and looks like it would fit on our footprint

[Image: 1473970.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2015 09:41 AM by DaBigBlue.)
12-08-2015 09:40 AM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

Or we can build half a stadium and just never finish the other side because we will stay in the low level FCS division for eternity....oh wait...we aren't talking about JMU?

Had to do it.
12-08-2015 09:42 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I don't care what it looks like as long as the view of the field is good and it has enough capacity that people can walk up and buy tickets on game day every week.
12-08-2015 09:43 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 09:43 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I don't care what it looks like as long as the view of the field is good and it has enough capacity that people can walk up and buy tickets on game day every week.

I get into it with ODAF people all the time. Forget the sellout streak, how do you add new fans if you don't have tickets to sell them. Few are going to buy season tickets without going to a single game.
12-08-2015 09:48 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-08-2015 09:48 AM)DaBigBlue Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 09:43 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I don't care what it looks like as long as the view of the field is good and it has enough capacity that people can walk up and buy tickets on game day every week.

I get into it with ODAF people all the time. Forget the sellout streak, how do you add new fans if you don't have tickets to sell them. Few are going to buy season tickets without going to a single game.

Agree. I'd go 40k on two 20k tiers. Lower tier for ticket holders, donors, friends, and strudents. Upper tier for walk ups. If the lower tier is sold out, which it should be every week given the sell out streak, it will look good on TV (a concern I have heard) even if the upper tier is empty. Make the upper tier seats cheap and promote the hell out of it through Groupon and similar ventures. Provide incentives that make the lower tier more attractive, aside from just the view, such as a beer garden, parking, tailgate lotes and access to other things. Make the cheap seats park on city streets and walk a mile to get there. Make the lower tier so exclusive that there is no lost incentive to donate money to be in the club. Make it visible to the upper tier so that it creates envy and incentive to join the club so that there is a donation shootout for the lower tier down the road.
12-08-2015 10:00 AM
Advertisement

monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

There are plenty of single game tickets for nearly every game. Stub Hub, Craigs List, people outside the stadium. I know people that go to the games without tickets all the time. Half the time, someone just gives them a ticket because there are so many extras floating around. If people want to go to a game its not that hard.
12-08-2015 10:02 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

(12-08-2015 10:02 AM)monarx Wrote:  

There are plenty of single game tickets for nearly every game. Stub Hub, Craigs List, people outside the stadium. I know people that go to the games without tickets all the time. Half the time, someone just gives them a ticket because there are so many extras floating around. If people want to go to a game its not that hard.

It's expensive. It paid $160 for a pair of tickets to the NC State game on Stubhub and the seats weren't even that good. We could have sold 40k for that one. We have UNC, ECU, and VT coming. We'll be able to sell 40k for all of those. For games like FIU, we already know we can sell 20k. Make sure you fill that lower bowl and it will look fine. Promote the hell out of the cheap seats (pair for $20 on Groupon) and I'll bet you anything we could get at least 30k for the FIU type games. All you have to do is make the lower bowl incentives favorable enough that you don't lose donations for them. We have to add more fans to get more donors and this would do it without affecting current donors. I hope the admin is reading this. I haven't heard a better idea.
12-08-2015 10:10 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

This is true, when looking for singles. Guys aren't going to load up the family of four and go get scalped tickets. Many people don't like Craigslist or Stubhub. It's a secondary market. We need to grow the fan base and raise more money. The only way to do this, is have seats to sell.
12-08-2015 10:13 AM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
If ODU didn't commit to building the Ainslie Game Day Center, the position of the field could be re-oriented and a balanced stadium could be built. As I stated in the old thread, the area at Foreman Field is large enough to place Bryant-Denny Stadium on it.
12-08-2015 10:16 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

We got a 100,000 young men and women just 4 miles down Hampton Blvd looking for something to do on Saturdays.
12-08-2015 10:16 AM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

I completely agree. ODU has never been very good at growing its brand. Maybe I am wrong and they know what their constraints are, and just don't believe growing the brand throughout the region is doable, but, to me, they seem very shortsighted when they limit supply to the folks who are already in the tent with no regard for the other million people in the region.
12-08-2015 10:23 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Guys, the program is NOT supported by ticket sales. The program is supported by ODAF donations. If the incentive to give is lessened, the donations will decrease. Right now the top tier (Silver Lot) pay $7,500/yr. The next tier (Black Lot) pays $5,000/yr. The goal from what I can gather is to significantly increase the level of those two lots to as close to $15k/10k as possible. I'm in the Black Lot and I can assure you that I wouldn't pay $5k if I could get away with paying $2k for exactly what I have now. ODAF knows that the ONLY way to increase revenue is to keep demand very high. Demand at a new stadium will increase. If supply increases more than demand, then ODAF has no chance of getting $15k/10k from the top donors.
12-08-2015 10:23 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

The problem is that with the constant promotion of the sellout streak, people don't realize that tickets are usually available.
12-08-2015 10:25 AM
Monarchblue Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2015 10:23 AM)T-Mac Wrote:  Guys, the program is NOT supported by ticket sales. The program is supported by ODAF donations. If the incentive to give is lessened, the donations will decrease. Right now the top tier (Silver Lot) pay $7,500/yr. The next tier (Black Lot) pays $5,000/yr. The goal from what I can gather is to significantly increase the level of those two lots to as close to $15k/10k as possible. I'm in the Black Lot and I can assure you that I wouldn't pay $5k if I could get away with paying $2k for exactly what I have now. ODAF knows that the ONLY way to increase revenue is to keep demand very high. Demand at a new stadium will increase. If supply increases more than demand, then ODAF has no chance of getting $15k/10k from the top donors.

While it is true that the program is supported by donations, having some vision at this early stage and getting more people in the door can create even more donors in the long run. ODU is not just limiting supply, it is limiting its potential fan base, which limits its potential donor base.
12-08-2015 10:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.