Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arkansas-Ole Miss
Bookmark and Share
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Pretty damn good!! Granted, the game is not played on paper I know, but if it was we'd probably kick their butts.....have a look. (This is after 7 Rebel games, and 6 Hog games)

Passing Offense
Ole Miss 320.7 yards/game....6 INT....2,245 total yards
Arkansas 209.5 yds/game....6 INT....1,257 total yards

Sacks Allowed
Ole Miss has been sacked 8 times
Arkansas has been sacked 5 times

Rushing Offense
Ole Miss 176.6 yds/game....4.5 yds/carry....1,236 total yards
Arkansas 225.0 yds/game....5.0 yds/carry....1,350 total yards

Total Offense
Ole Miss 497.3 yards/game....3,481 total yards
Arkansas 434.5 yds/game....2607 total yards

Touch Downs
Ole Miss has 32 TDs in 7 games
Arkansas has 23 TDs in 6 games

3rd Down Conversions
Ole Miss 46/96
Arkansas 38/90

4th Down Conversions
Ole Miss 4/5
Arkansas 5/13

Penalties
Ole Miss 54 times for 448 yards
Arkansas 40 times/ 338 yards

Pass Defense
Ole Miss 331.1 yds/game....2,318 total yards....10 INT
Arkansas 186.2 yds/game....1,117 yards....5 INT

Rush Defense
Ole Miss 87.3 yds/game
Arkansas 141.7 yds/game

Sacks
Ole Miss has 11 sacks/88 yards
Arkansas has 5 sacks/28 yards

Total Defense
Ole Miss 418.4 yds/game....2,929 total yards
Arkansas 327.8 yds/game....1,967 total yards

Field Goals
Ole Miss 18/19 .947
Arkansas 6/12 .500

PATs
Ole Miss 30/30 1.000
Arkansas 23/23 1.000

Punts
Ole Miss 41.3/punt
Arkansas 40.4/punt

Punt Returns
Ole Miss 8.3 yds/return
Arkansas 8.1 yds/return

Kickoff Returns
Ole Miss 25.0 yds/return
Arkansas 22.9 yds/return

Scoreboard
Ole Miss is averaging 40.0 points/game....280 total points
Arkansas is averaging 29.8 points/game....179 total points

Ole Miss is giving up 24.7 points/game....173 total points
Arkansas is giving up 20.3 points/game....122 total points

Keys to the game....
For Arkansas it's obvious. Shut down Eli, if not, at least pressure him as much as possible. Eli has historically been tough to sack, and Arkansas hasn't been very successful getting to the QB. So the Hogs will have to improve.
And I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the Hogs are going to have to find a way to stop the Ole Miss running game? Huh? 03-lol The Rebels have all of a sudden found a rushing attack. At least the passing success has opened that door for the running game, so Ole Miss has a very balanced attack of late. And Arkansas is giving up 141 yards/game on the ground, so they are going to have to tighten up.
The Rebs can put up some big numbers on the scoreboard, so if this game becomes a track meet, the Hogs may be in trouble. Turnovers will be a huge key for the Hogs in this game for that reason. If they can manage to get a couple picks or fumble recoveries, shutting down a couple Rebel drives, they will be successful. Also, if the game comes down to special teams, namely the FG units.....advantage: Rebels.
The Hogs are good at keeping passing offenses in check, but they haven't faced Eli yet. Let's not forget, this is the same team that beat Texas in Austin a few weeks ago.

For the Rebels....The main thing I can think of is for them to come out with the same intensity they had the last three games, with a "go for the jugular" mentality. They do that, the Rebels should be 4-0.
The other, is to find a way to shut Matt Jones down. He's been our achilles heel the last couple of years. And with the injury to Cedric Cobbs, Jones will play an even bigger part in the running game.
Protect Eli, protect Eli, protect Eli.
With the Rebs only giving up 87 yards/game on the ground, and the running game being the Hogs' strength, this matchup is very interesting to me, among many other reasons. I'm scared to say this, in fear of jinxing us, but on paper, this game looks very advantageous for the Rebels, mainly when talking about each teams' strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately though, the game is played on grass, err fake grass, so anything can happen. And in the spirit of pessimism, I will not give a prediction, but we do have a chance.
10-19-2003 07:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Reb32 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Thanks for the info, 10Man. One thing you didn't point out about the Rebs to win. They have to come out and play with intensity for 4 quarters, not just the first half. The Hogs don't give up and they'll come at you for the whole game.
10-19-2003 07:26 PM
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

10MAN Wrote:"...the Hogs are going to have to find a way to stop the Ole Miss running game..."
10, what the heck have you been smoking??? 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol
10-19-2003 07:34 PM
Dorothy Parker Offline
2nd String

I Root For:

I want some of whatever it is! 03-lol

Seriously, isn't it amazing how balanced our offense was yesterday? I almost had to pinch myself when I read the stats.
10-19-2003 07:36 PM
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

Reb32 Wrote:One thing you didn't point out about the Rebs to win. They have to come out and play with intensity for 4 quarters, not just the first half. The Hogs don't give up and they'll come at you for the whole game.
True dat! The Hogs are relentless. I did notice us kind of getting "comfortable" with our lead yesterday, which we can NOT afford to get complacent with the Hogies. I won't even feel comfortable with a 30 point lead at halftime with them.
10-19-2003 07:37 PM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

LRRebel Wrote:
10MAN Wrote:"...the Hogs are going to have to find a way to stop the Ole Miss running game..."
10, what the heck have you been smoking??? 03-lol 03-lol 03-lol
A little bit of this, and a little bit of that......Lynne has some really good connections in her new job. Plus, me and Dio have been hanging out a lot. 03-lol
10-19-2003 07:40 PM
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

You're scaring me, now.... 03-lol 03-lol
10-19-2003 08:13 PM
Advertisement

cant_think_of_a_witty_nam Offline
All American

I Root For:

This may be the one game where Cutt's tendency to call screens and flat passes pay off. That is, if the Hogs don't learn anything from the game film against Florida. I think I saw Arkansas contain maybe one of the many screens Leak threw yesterday. If Houston relies on man-up in the secondary like he did most of last season, Eli will have a field day. Carroll and Richardson are good but they can't do it alone for 60 minutes (and possibly OT). If Cobbs is out, had some sort of hamstring injury yesterday after getting 88 yards and a TD in the first 25 minutes, the running game is pretty much limited to Jonesy. Mark Pierce showed some heart out there yesterday converting to HB when Howard didn't pan out. George Wilson showed up in a big way during the first half but was nowhere to be found in the second. Richard Smith showed up in a big way during the last seven minutes but was nowhere to be seen for the first 53.

I think this game depends on two things: How bad does Ole Miss want it? I'm willing to bet they want it pretty badly after the last two meetings with Arkansas. Are the Hogs going to come out fired up to right the ship? Nutt has been known for turning around the bad stretches of losing games they had no business losing. Despite Arkansas' #20 (or 21 if you prefer AP), I wouldn't be surprised if the Hogs were the underdog this weekend.

Let's just hope for a great game that is settled by on-the-field gameplay and not the little yellow hanky.

[i]Sorry, if I just retread already covered ground. I decided to post before I read anyone else's take.
10-19-2003 08:18 PM
10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

You're right, witty, Arkansas has had its share of "questionable" calls with the zebras this season. I, too, hope they don't play a part in this game. Let 'em play! ::remembers Bad News Bears scene in the Astrodome where the Astros players started a "Let them play, let them play, let them play" chant:: 03-lol
10-19-2003 08:22 PM
georgew Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

One thing we can't afford is stupid penalties in Saturdays game against Arkansas. The celebration penalty on Fla. in the 4th qtr almost cost them the game. Field position is going to be a big factor Saturday. If we lose that, we will lose momentum and thus the game will go Arkansas's way. We have a couple of the best punters and field goal kickers in the nation, we can't afford to waist their talent over stupid mistakes.
10-20-2003 08:58 AM
Advertisement

MsRebelGal Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

We need to play this game on Saturday night, like we played Florida and Alabama. I watched Auburn, LSU and Arkansas play and they really haven't impressed me. I'm pretty sure we'll come out with another victory this weekend.

Hotty toddy!

04-cheers
10-20-2003 03:03 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Tweety this game is at night. Party in the Grove all durn day, show up and cheer at night. Watch your drinking, last night game, UM vs. UA in Oxford, went to 7 overtimes. So if you start drinking early then you may pass out before it is all said and done.

10, resectively, I think some caveats need mentioning in your analysis of the paper to paper game breakdown. First, Arkansas has played better opponents in Texas and Auburn. Also, Arkansas is like road warriors, coming back against the Tide at Alabama and whipping Texas on the road.
One thing I think you left out is team speed for the Hogs on defense. I, seriously (not faux pessimism), think we'll have trouble running the ball. I forsee a defensive struggle this weekend. Let's hope I'm wrong.

Another intangible is that Arkansas has now lost two straight and they have their backs against the wall. I wouldn't be surprised if the pull a close one out in Oxford (but of course, I'm never surprised to see UM lose).
10-20-2003 06:34 PM
Wryword Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Yeah, Dio, my concern too. The Hogs have their backs against the wall right now. Another SEC loss and that is that for them in the West. They have one hell of a motivation to win this game, and they always play us tough anyway. This game is not the game for us to develop a fear of success. We just have to play them every bit as tough as they play us. We have to want this game more than them,if that's possible. We have real work cut out for us when we meet LSU and Auburn, and frankly I expect to lose at least the Auburn game. We have to win this one, just like we had to win last Saturday.

But the Hogs are beatable.
10-20-2003 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.