Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Implications and reverberations of the Missouri sit out threat.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
1. Gary Pinkel will be out of a job sooner than later. He basically went all in with his kids which is ok to take that stand, but the guys who sign your paycheck take notes too.

2. Players will soon realize they carry an atomic bomb in a suitcase. If you can get a President to resign in a matter of days due to the cancellation of one non league game. Imagine the scenario of a league championship game and you go notch by notch higher as you go up the food chain. This was truly a game changer. Nothing will ever be the same. Power was found and it wont be relinquished.

3. How do the schools fight back? Play the game with the kids that want to go? Take the beating and rescind scholarships? IT WILL KILL YOU IN RECRUITING!

4. Maybe just go along and make a partnership with the NFL now. Create another subdivision. The kids now know what they are worth. Pay them accordingly. Some schools and conferences will choose to go the NFL jv route and others will prefer to stay with a true amateur model. I guarantee Notre Dame will go the true amateur route. Other BIG NAME schools will follow too. I get the feeling something like this has been cooking up for awhile.

5. There's just too money for it not to be corrupting. Look at these 5-6 million dollar coaches in football. Look at basketball. Now look at how coaches are treated in the pros. The athletes see how this is flipped on it's head. Again the scholarship and cost of living maybe 60-70 thousand. Chump change and they know it. One sit out of a billion dollar game or tournament and the house of cards fall.

It will be interesting to see what you guys come up with.
11-10-2015 08:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Implications and reverberations of the Missouri sit out threat.
On the other hand, Ray Watts is still president at UAB.
11-10-2015 08:27 AM
Machiavelli Offline

and on another hand. If Saban said. My boys in red won't play until the boys in green and gold get their team back it's done in a week.
11-10-2015 08:30 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
The school should have called the players' bluff, IMO, but the president and chancellor were too weak. This set a poor precedent, but I don't think it spells the end of college athletics as we know it. Coach should have been fired immediately. What is happening at our college campuses is pure insanity.
11-10-2015 08:31 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
They want a Black College President. That is all.
11-10-2015 08:35 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-10-2015 08:30 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  and on another hand. If Saban said. My boys in red won't play until the boys in green and gold get their team back it's done in a week.

He'd be in the trunk of a '74 Nova at the bottom of Smith Lake before the sun came up the next day.
11-10-2015 08:38 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline

Ever,

I don't think you fully contemplate what happened here. Nothing will ever be the same. This was one non league game. Ratchet that game up in stature. These players know it. Now imagine them saying they are going to sit out a final four game in either sport basketball or football. It would be easier to do in basketball and it's too easy to get both teams to do it. Heck Tark the Shark would have orchestrated it just to stick it in the NCAA's ear. Calipari would get every 5 star he wants, a recruiting legend that history will forever know, if he's not already there. Find one shady coach who has it in for the NCAA. Make him successful enough to get into one of these tournaments. The game is up.
11-10-2015 08:39 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(11-10-2015 08:31 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  The school should have called the players' bluff, IMO, but the president and chancellor were too weak. This set a poor precedent, but I don't think it spells the end of college athletics as we know it. Coach should have been fired immediately. What is happening at our college campuses is pure insanity.

I pretty much agree with this. I'll admit to not knowing the entire story here but the way this looks to have played out is just nuts. Regardless of what happened, I don't understand what the expectation is here. What was the school supposed to do?
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 08:41 AM by blunderbuss.)
11-10-2015 08:39 AM
Machiavelli Offline

Saban in a 74 NOVA?????????????????????

shiiiiiitttttt. Like they used to say in the Wire.
11-10-2015 08:41 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
The simplest solution is always the best. Go back to all-white teams.

[Image: sarcasm.gif]
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 08:42 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
11-10-2015 08:42 AM
Machiavelli Offline

One shady successful coach who has it in for the NCAA. He could orchestrate it but on the stage be against it but behind the scenes be for it. Play both sides of the fence. Actually this would be one hell of a movie to screen write.
11-10-2015 08:44 AM
Advertisement

miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
What I predict moving forward is that the insanity is linked to perception that kids have that going to university is supposed to be a life changing, powerful experience. This is why there is so much investment on their part for the experience to be "perfect" for all. The stark reality is that post high school education is becoming much more transactional in nature. Don't get me wrong, collegiality is still in the consciousness of many people, but it's evolving. But with the costs of college already exploded at this point, students are going to become much more discerning in where they go and what they study. If you haven't noticed by now, you will eventually see that people do not have that same link to their schools like they used to.

What does all of this have to do with what happened in Mizzou? Much IMHO. People will see that the "full college experience" is not the value it used to be. People will wonder "why is drawing a swastika with feces causing the campus to practically shut down?". The insanity is going to live at these campuses in the first place IMHO. My kids are learning from me that going to college is a purely transactional event. They get money from you, you get the education you need to find a rewarding career. Networking is important, but the "full college experience" is an unnecessary component that can quite easily derail you from your goals.

Regarding college athletics - CFB in particular - IMHO the die has already been cast and it's a matter of when and not if CFB declines. The injuries are too risky for the potential reward. I've opined on this many times on the other forum, but this is what I think will happen. The Mizzou fiasco is just an interesting anecdote among many that we have been accumulating as we analyze the relationship we as a people will have with our universities moving forward.
11-10-2015 08:44 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(11-10-2015 08:39 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Ever,

I don't think you fully contemplate what happened here. Nothing will ever be the same. This was one non league game. Ratchet that game up in stature. These players know it. Now imagine them saying they are going to sit out a final four game in either sport basketball or football. It would be easier to do in basketball and it's too easy to get both teams to do it. Heck Tark the Shark would have orchestrated it just to stick it in the NCAA's ear. Calipari would get every 5 star he wants, a recruiting legend that history will forever know, if he's not already there. Find one shady coach who has it in for the NCAA. Make him successful enough to get into one of these tournaments. The game is up.

Well, yeah, except this would never happen under Calipari as he has control over his team and his players. As I said, the coach should have been fired immediately. What I don't see is how this has anything to do with the NCAA whereas a different ameteur route would have prevented this. This is an internal problem for Mizzou, not an NCAA problem.
11-10-2015 08:46 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Other schools coaches would have likely handled it differently. They should be on the same page.
I think letting the quitters stay home and playing the game could be a recruiting boost. Most players are
not quitters. You went to compete with the 60-70 guys who wanted to play and who came here to play
football. You gonna let a few drunk white guys in a pickup yelling the N word make you a quitter?
11-10-2015 09:21 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
A part of me thinks the players don't want to play because their team sucks balls this year.
11-10-2015 09:25 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(11-10-2015 09:25 AM)shiftyeagle Wrote:  A part of me thinks the players don't want to play because their team sucks balls this year.

03-shhhh
11-10-2015 09:29 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(11-10-2015 08:22 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  1. Gary Pinkel will be out of a job sooner than later. He basically went all in with his kids which is ok to take that stand, but the guys who sign your paycheck take notes too.

2. Players will soon realize they carry an atomic bomb in a suitcase. If you can get a President to resign in a matter of days due to the cancellation of one non league game. Imagine the scenario of a league championship game and you go notch by notch higher as you go up the food chain. This was truly a game changer. Nothing will ever be the same. Power was found and it wont be relinquished.

3. How do the schools fight back? Play the game with the kids that want to go? Take the beating and rescind scholarships? IT WILL KILL YOU IN RECRUITING!

4. Maybe just go along and make a partnership with the NFL now. Create another subdivision. The kids now know what they are worth. Pay them accordingly. Some schools and conferences will choose to go the NFL jv route and others will prefer to stay with a true amateur model. I guarantee Notre Dame will go the true amateur route. Other BIG NAME schools will follow too. I get the feeling something like this has been cooking up for awhile.

5. There's just too money for it not to be corrupting. Look at these 5-6 million dollar coaches in football. Look at basketball. Now look at how coaches are treated in the pros. The athletes see how this is flipped on it's head. Again the scholarship and cost of living maybe 60-70 thousand. Chump change and they know it. One sit out of a billion dollar game or tournament and the house of cards fall.

It will be interesting to see what you guys come up with.

I think Bowlsby is right. A basketball team(s) will strike for money.

And that's when I say you should just blow it up. Baseball used to be my favorite sport, but the strikes ruined it. I really dropped off after they did the split season. Think that was 1981. You don't watch sports to follow labor unrest. And when athletes who are given a free ride and get admission when many would not, while others struggle to pay their tuition, demand more and talk about being used? Well then its time to just blow up the model and get out of the business.
11-10-2015 09:32 AM
stinkfist Online
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
we talked about pay for play on the cusa board to ad nauseam....

it's only the beginning....
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2015 09:40 AM by stinkfist.)
11-10-2015 09:40 AM
Machiavelli Offline

All you guys who think about blowing it up? Why in the world would you blow up an industry that makes billions. You won't. 80% of these universities will pony up. Some will get out but the money is too big to not make it work. The employees are just going to get more expensive. It's not an amateur sport anymore. Here's my thought process.

1. The Missouri players got away with this because they are truly amateurs.

2. The revenue generators and givers see they wield incredible power.

3. They can't let them ever pull that lever on andustry that generates revenues in the hundred of billions. You're not going to blow up that revenue stream. You're an idiot if you let it. Too much money
11-10-2015 09:56 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(11-10-2015 08:27 AM)Smaug Wrote:  On the other hand, Ray Watts is still president at UAB.

In the leaked documents from Sard-Verbinnen, the crisis-management firm hired to direct the closing of UAB football, they advised announcing after rather than during the season for fear the players would rip off their helmets and walk off the field during a televised game.

Missouri's players had little planning or organization. From now on the networks have to worry about just what they're going to televise.
11-10-2015 10:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.