Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Playoff chaos possibilities as of today (11/5)
andy98 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: all teams
Playoff chaos possibilities as of today (11/5)
This probably would never happen, but what if.....
-Clemson goes undefeated.
-Ohio State goes undefeated.
-Ole Miss wins the SEC with 2 losses to Memphis and Florida.
-Memphis goes undefeated including a win over SEC champ Ole Miss.
-Alabama finishes with 1 loss to Ole Miss.
-Stanford wins the Pac Twelve with 1 loss to Northwestern.
-Oklahoma wins the Big Twelve with 1 loss to Texas.
-Baylor finishes with 1 loss to Oklahoma.

Other than Clemson and Ohio State, who would be the other 2 teams that would make the playoff?
11-05-2015 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Playoff chaos possibilities as of today (11/5)
Alabama is a lock with just 1 loss. Oklahoma might get the last spot since they would have beaten Baylor, TCU, and Okie State.
11-05-2015 09:08 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
(11-05-2015 09:08 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Alabama is a lock with just 1 loss. Oklahoma might get the last spot since they would have beaten Baylor, TCU, and Okie State.

If Ole Miss wins the SEC, how would the committee treat a Bama team that didn't win it's conference and lost to the team that did? At that point, Ole Miss would have the same quality of wins and would have avenged their loss to Florida.
11-05-2015 09:11 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
Pffft. That's not even close to chaos.

In one of the BCS years, almost every team that was a contender lost at least one of their last two games. That's chaos.
11-05-2015 09:17 AM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(11-05-2015 09:08 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  Alabama is a lock with just 1 loss. Oklahoma might get the last spot since they would have beaten Baylor, TCU, and Okie State.

Just because Alabama is there right now, that doesn't mean they will remain in the top 4 while winning out. If Ole Miss wins out, as is stated, then THEY not Alabama go to the SEC CCG game and we don't have a precedent for that but I think it is fair to say that would definitely hurt Alabama in the eyes of the committee. If Florida doesn't win that CCG against Ole Miss then the SEC goes unrepresented because this situation means that LSU lost to Alabama this coming week AND to Ole Miss two weeks after that.

So to answer the OP, I think in this scenario it truly comes down to the eye test and how the 1 loss teams looked in their wins because those will be some big wins, especially for the big 12 teams that don't have big tests right now.

I think between Oklahoma and Baylor that would have to lean on Oklahoma BUT they both have three games after their game against each other so that is a lot of time to prove either team has improved or degressed. Baylor plays Texas in the final game, if they crush Texas than that would help to offset a close loss to Oklahoma. I do think a 1 loss big 12 team has a very good shot of getting in with this scenario.

Stanford probably gets that last spot because they aren't just winning the PAC but they are also beating Notre Dame if they only have one loss at the end.
11-05-2015 09:20 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(11-05-2015 09:11 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

If Ole Miss wins the SEC, how would the committee treat a Bama team that didn't win it's conference and lost to the team that did? At that point, Ole Miss would have the same quality of wins and would have avenged their loss to Florida.

But they will not have avenged their other loss, to Memphis.

If Alabama wins out, they will be in the CFP. There is no way the committee is going to kick out a #4 Alabama team that would have then won games versus #2 LSU and #20 Mississippi State. Not to a 2-loss Ole Miss team.

And that would also mean Memphis is out, because they won't get in over Alabama either.
11-05-2015 09:45 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-05-2015 09:20 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Just because Alabama is there right now, that doesn't mean they will remain in the top 4 while winning out. If Ole Miss wins out, as is stated, then THEY not Alabama go to the SEC CCG game and we don't have a precedent for that but I think it is fair to say that would definitely hurt Alabama in the eyes of the committee.

We have a quasi-precedent, in what happened in the BCS four years ago, when Alabama also didn't win their division or the SEC, and yet the pollsters voted Alabama into the BCS title game anyway.

Remember, the CFP is not some big, radical departure from the polls. It may look like it now, but at the end of the year, they will converge, and to what the polls will look like. If Alabama was playing Iowa's schedule from here on out, sure, we'd have every reason to think they would be toast. But they have #2 LSU and #20 MSST on the agenda, so they will not be dropped lower even as others win.

And if Alabama wins out, there is no way Ole Miss passes them in the polls.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 09:50 AM by quo vadis.)
11-05-2015 09:48 AM
HHOOTter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tulsa
Big 12 will probably end up with 3 teams @ 11-1.
There is actually a scenario where you could have 4 Big 12 teams finish @ 10-2.

OOC schedule plus TV “popularity/name recognition” play a Huge part in the CFP selection process. What if the 2 loss Rebels win out, go to the SEC ‘champ game & win it. Does the CFP selection committee leave an 11-1 ‘Bama team out of the playoff mix even though they couldn’t win the SEC west division? And what IF, Memphis (who beat Mississippi) runs the table finishes 13-0?

Big 10 could have 2 undefeated teams in their conference champ game (Iowa vs Ohio St/Mich St). How will the CFP committee look @ a 12-1 Iowa team or a 11-1 Mich St team?

Pac 12 could have 2 teams with 2 losses each before the conference championship game. (7-1 Stanford still has to play a revamp Oregon squad & Notre Dame before the end of the regular season) & Stanford is the only decent opponent left to keep Notre Dame from finishing the season @ 11-1. Would the CFP leave an 11-1 Notre Dame team out of the CFP?
11-05-2015 09:57 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(11-05-2015 09:45 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

If Alabama wins out, they will be in the CFP. There is no way the committee is going to kick out a #4 Alabama team that would have then won games versus #2 LSU and #20 Mississippi State. Not to a 2-loss Ole Miss team.

And that would also mean Memphis is out, because they won't get in over Alabama either.

I'm just basing this on what the committee has told us for two years. They reward teams who've won championships. They reward teams who beat other good teams. Ole Miss would have done both of those. Ole Miss would have beaten the same LSU and Miss State teams that Bama did AND they beat Bama.
11-05-2015 10:02 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(11-05-2015 10:02 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  

I'm just basing this on what the committee has told us for two years. They reward teams who've won championships. They reward teams who beat other good teams. Ole Miss would have done both of those. Ole Miss would have beaten the same LSU and Miss State teams that Bama did AND they beat Bama.

Ole Miss will have a loss against Florida. If they beat them in the SEC CCG then they MIGHT set a new precedent for allowing in a two loss team over so many deserving 1 loss teams but...that Florida team may just have a second loss themselves to Florida State the week previous to the CCG.

Ole Miss also has that loss to Memphis. Memphis looks good but just how high are they going to be able to get in the rankings?

I think it is much more likely that a Notre Dame/Stanford winner or the top big 12 team gets in over a 2 loss Ole Miss team.
11-05-2015 10:14 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

(11-05-2015 10:14 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  

Ole Miss will have a loss against Florida. If they beat them in the SEC CCG then they MIGHT set a new precedent for allowing in a two loss team over so many deserving 1 loss teams but...that Florida team may just have a second loss themselves to Florida State the week previous to the CCG.

Ole Miss also has that loss to Memphis. Memphis looks good but just how high are they going to be able to get in the rankings?

I think it is much more likely that a Notre Dame/Stanford winner or the top big 12 team gets in over a 2 loss Ole Miss team.

That my point for chaos. A 2-loss Ole Miss team doesn't get into the playoffs which keeps the SEC out.
11-05-2015 10:19 AM
Advertisement

He1nousOne Offline

(11-05-2015 10:19 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 10:14 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 09:11 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  If Ole Miss wins the SEC, how would the committee treat a Bama team that didn't win it's conference and lost to the team that did? At that point, Ole Miss would have the same quality of wins and would have avenged their loss to Florida.

That my point for chaos. A 2-loss Ole Miss team doesn't get into the playoffs which keeps the SEC out.

Ahhh, gotcha, I thought you were saying the opposite that they would get in. Early morning reading failure for me.
11-05-2015 10:24 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-05-2015 10:17 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 09:48 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Just because Alabama is there right now, that doesn't mean they will remain in the top 4 while winning out. If Ole Miss wins out, as is stated, then THEY not Alabama go to the SEC CCG game and we don't have a precedent for that but I think it is fair to say that would definitely hurt Alabama in the eyes of the committee.

We have a quasi-precedent, in what happened in the BCS four years ago, when Alabama also didn't win their division or the SEC, and yet the pollsters voted Alabama into the BCS title game anyway.

Remember, the CFP is not some big, radical departure from the polls. It may look like it now, but at the end of the year, they will converge, and to what the polls will look like. If Alabama was playing Iowa's schedule from here on out, sure, we'd have every reason to think they would be toast. But they have #2 LSU and #20 MSST on the agenda, so they will not be dropped lower even as others win.

And what happened in that Championship Game between Alabama and LSU? Yeah, not happening. The Committee showed huge favor to the conference championship games and the participation showed within.

Alabama not even being in one is going to hurt them. TCU is the precedent that shows how harmful that can be to not be part of it.

TCU was being compared to teams with the same record. Do you really think the CFP will rank 2-loss, SEC champ Ole Miss over 1-loss Alabama?

We're talking about Alabama here, not TCU. I suspect that will matter. Maybe we will get the chance to see. 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 10:27 AM by quo vadis.)
11-05-2015 10:27 AM
He1nousOne Offline

(11-05-2015 10:27 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

And what happened in that Championship Game between Alabama and LSU? Yeah, not happening. The Committee showed huge favor to the conference championship games and the participation showed within.

Alabama not even being in one is going to hurt them. TCU is the precedent that shows how harmful that can be to not be part of it. Hell, TCU was even playing a game the same week of the Championships. Alabama wont even have that.

My precedent is from the CFP era, yours isn't and is one of the major reasons why the Committee exists.

TCU was being compared to teams with the same record. Do you really think the CFP will rank 2-loss, SEC champ Ole Miss over 1-loss Alabama?

We're talking about Alabama here, not TCU. I suspect that will matter. Maybe we will get the chance to see. 07-coffee3

To be honest, I don't know. I am not talking rankings so much as I am talking about who will make it into the top 4.

I think I will be able to better answer this question of yours after the LSU vs Alabama game. If LSU wins then its all moot. If Alabama wins and then Ole Miss beats LSU, then who knows.

What I think is that if Ole Miss runs the table then they will get into the conference championship and they will have wins against Alabama, LSU and Miss State(whom is ranked right now). The problem for Ole Miss is the two losses. So how they would get ranked, I don't know. Alabama could stick in the top four all season long but then have them pulled out in the last ranking just as we saw happen to TCU because they wont be in the conference championship game in this scenario.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 10:45 AM by He1nousOne.)
11-05-2015 10:36 AM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

Alabama not even being in one is going to hurt them. TCU is the precedent that shows how harmful that can be to not be part of it.

I would love to see the committee squirm trying to justify putting Bama in when they wouldn't have won the SEC.
11-05-2015 10:39 AM
Tigermaniac Offline
BBB Enthusiast

I Root For: Memphis/Army
If Ole Miss wins out and is the SEC Champ and Bama gets in over them. With the head to head @ BAMA. This Playoff committee will be a complete joke. If Memphis wins out and that would include wins over 3 more ranked teams with that head to head against Ole Miss and Ole Miss gets in and Memphis doesn't that would be a complete joke.

The best bet is if the Committee doesn't want to put a DESERVING Memphis team in under that scenario, then they should just leave the SEC out of it. Period. THERE is no way to justify putting any SEC team in if it played out like that.

You also, couldn't justify putting in a 2 loss PAC team in when comparing to Memphis or the SEC Champ in that scenario. Please explain to me how you would... You can't, it would be a disgrace and completely pathetic...

Notre Dame would also have 2 losses in that PERFECT scenario.

So in this HIGHLY unlikely scenario.

It would probably be leaving the SEC out all together.

1. ACC
2. B1G
3. Big 12
4. Memphis

or leave the SEC, PAC and Memphis out all together.

1. ACC
2. B1G
3. Big 12
4. Some team they pull out of their ass, to try and justify not having Memphis in the top 4. Won't be a 2 loss Notre Dame. Who could it be?

Bottom line is if things play out the way that scenario describes, Memphis IS in. Compare Schedules, whatever metric you would want to use. Memphis would be in the top 4. Everyone thinks it's just simple to say they won't let a G5 in. It doesn't work that way... This is a Playoff, it is open to all 128 FBS teams... At the end of the day, when you are comparing everything Memphis in the BEST case scenario would have 5 Top 25 wins. Better than almost ANYONE in front of them. 8 wins against Bowl teams. Better than almost ANYONE in front of them. Would have beaten the MAC and SEC CHAMPS.

It's not probable any of this happens anyway, but if it does don't be surprised to see a top 4 Memphis.

Come on, what arguments could ANYONE possibly spit out to argue this? I can't wait to hear them.. I am expecting a lot of opinion oriented bs, and a bunch of non factual bs. Please prove me wrong....
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 12:34 PM by Tigermaniac.)
11-05-2015 12:26 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(11-05-2015 12:26 PM)Tigermaniac Wrote:  If Ole Miss wins out and is the SEC Champ and Bama gets in over them. With the head to head @ BAMA. This Playoff committee will be a complete joke. If Memphis wins out and that would include wins over 3 more ranked teams with that head to head against Ole Miss and Ole Miss gets in and Memphis doesn't that would be a complete joke.

The best bet is if the Committee doesn't want to put a DESERVING Memphis team in under that scenario, then they should just leave the SEC out of it. Period. THERE is no way to justify putting any SEC team in if it played out like that.

You also, couldn't justify putting in a 2 loss PAC team in when comparing to Memphis or the SEC Champ in that scenario. Please explain to me how you would... You can't, it would be a disgrace and completely pathetic...

Notre Dame would also have 2 losses in that PERFECT scenario.

So in this HIGHLY unlikely scenario.

It would probably be leaving the SEC out all together.

1. ACC
2. B1G
3. Big 12
4. Memphis

or leave the SEC, PAC and Memphis out all together.

1. ACC
2. B1G
3. Big 12
4. Some team they pull out of their ass, to try and justify not having Memphis in the top 4. Won't be a 2 loss Notre Dame. Who could it be?

Bottom line is if things play out the way that scenario describes, Memphis IS in. Compare Schedules, whatever metric you would want to use. Memphis would be in the top 4. Everyone thinks it's just simple to say they won't let a G5 in. It doesn't work that way... This is a Playoff, it is open to all 128 FBS teams... At the end of the day, when you are comparing everything Memphis in the BEST case scenario would have 5 Top 25 wins. Better than almost ANYONE in front of them. 8 wins against Bowl teams. Better than almost ANYONE in front of them. Would have beaten the MAC and SEC CHAMPS.

It's not probable any of this happens anyway, but if it does don't be surprised to see a top 4 Memphis.

Come on, what arguments could ANYONE possibly spit out to argue this? I can't wait to hear them.. I am expecting a lot of opinion oriented bs, and a bunch of non factual bs. Please prove me wrong....

To paraphrase Chris Rock...."Perfect for who?" :)
11-05-2015 12:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(11-05-2015 09:45 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  But they will not have avenged their other loss, to Memphis.

Except, Alabama's quality wins won't be over #2 LSU or #20 Mississippi St. LSU would have two losses (Alabama and Ole Miss), so they would likely be in the #12-16 range. Mississippi St. would have 4 losses (Alabama and Ole Miss plus 2 already), so Mississippi St. probably isn't even ranked. Texas A&M also likely falls out of the rankings with a loss at LSU.

So, Alabama would have ONE ranked win - over #12-16 LSU and a HOME loss to Ole Miss.

On the other hand, Ole Miss would shoot up the rankings with its win over LSU. Ole Miss would have wins over top-10 Alabama and Florida and #12-16 LSU. That's three quality wins to one. And Ole Miss' losses would both be on the ROAD to top-5 Memphis and top-10 Florida.

Meanwhile, Memphis would have a top-10 win over Ole Miss and top-25 wins over Houston and Temple, plus a conference championship...and no losses.

Only brand name, recruiting rankings and the 'eye test' could "justify" Alabama's inclusion in the CFP, not it's actual resume. And, FWIW, I think Alabama would still have a fairly decent shot at the CFP in that instance, because of those very factors.
11-05-2015 01:08 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-05-2015 10:36 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 09:20 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Just because Alabama is there right now, that doesn't mean they will remain in the top 4 while winning out. If Ole Miss wins out, as is stated, then THEY not Alabama go to the SEC CCG game and we don't have a precedent for that but I think it is fair to say that would definitely hurt Alabama in the eyes of the committee.

Alabama not even being in one is going to hurt them. TCU is the precedent that shows how harmful that can be to not be part of it. Hell, TCU was even playing a game the same week of the Championships. Alabama wont even have that.

My precedent is from the CFP era, yours isn't and is one of the major reasons why the Committee exists.

To be honest, I don't know. I am not talking rankings so much as I am talking about who will make it into the top 4.

I think I will be able to better answer this question of yours after the LSU vs Alabama game. If LSU wins then its all moot. If Alabama wins and then Ole Miss beats LSU, then who knows.

What I think is that if Ole Miss runs the table then they will get into the conference championship and they will have wins against Alabama, LSU and Miss State(whom is ranked right now). The problem for Ole Miss is the two losses. So how they would get ranked, I don't know. Alabama could stick in the top four all season long but then have them pulled out in the last ranking just as we saw happen to TCU because they wont be in the conference championship game in this scenario.

Fair enough. As you say, maybe we shall get a chance to see.
11-05-2015 01:36 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(11-05-2015 10:39 AM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 09:20 AM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Just because Alabama is there right now, that doesn't mean they will remain in the top 4 while winning out. If Ole Miss wins out, as is stated, then THEY not Alabama go to the SEC CCG game and we don't have a precedent for that but I think it is fair to say that would definitely hurt Alabama in the eyes of the committee.

I would love to see the committee squirm trying to justify putting Bama in when they wouldn't have won the SEC.

They won't have to squirm. In basketball, is it a big deal if a UNC team that didn't win the ACC has a higher NCAA tournament seed than a Virginia team that did? No it isn't.

That's because in determining their champ, conferences ignore certain information that the CFP cannot be expected to ignore. For example, for the purpose of determining the SEC champ, the SEC disregards OOC games, so the fact that Ole Miss lost to Memphis is irrelevant, doesn't factor in.

But obviously, from a national point of view, Ole Miss losing an OOC game is very relevant, and so once that is factored in, it could be very rational to conclude that in terms of qualifications for a national playoff, Alabama is more worthy than Ole Miss even though Ole Miss won the SEC.

The CFP is a national entity, not a conference entity. Alabama and Ole Miss will be being compared to the entire FBS field, not just to each other, or just to members of the SEC.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2015 01:44 PM by quo vadis.)
11-05-2015 01:39 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.