Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

This week's impact on JMU2FBS.com
Bookmark and Share
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Exclamation This week's impact on JMU2FBS.com
My apologies kids, I was out of town this weekend but did get a chance to watch much of GameDay. All I can say is holy sh!t, that was incredible. Every time I got a chance to put on ESPN on Friday it seemed 10 minutes couldn't go by without us getting some kind of mention or exposure. Really sucks we lost. Real heart-breaker but given the week's climate not too surprising a kick in the ballz like this would happen but if the rest of the season goes right that loss will be an afterthought.

The good news is the vast majority of the nation saw more of our GameDay-related stuff vs the game, and what they saw is no FCS school. We proved we're not a "small" school, just a school whose athletics program hasn't kept pace with its growth.

Below are the stats for the website this week:

$90k in new pledges
46 new registered supporters
1,400+ new (unique) visitors

Over 1,000 of the new visitors were over the weekend. We had a lot of folks register and not pledge (very likely due to being in the middle of the chaos) but we have all their email addresses and I'll be sending out a newsletter this week. I also imagine a lot of the visitors didn't convert for the same reason.

As with all marketing campaigns it takes time and impressions to get people to step up to the plate and the past week has been more than we could ever hoped for in that regard. Over the next couple months we just need to leverage this week's events as well as some great upcoming press we're going to get to keep pushing forward.

Thank you everyone who put your heart and souls into making this week happen and basically thrusting JMU into the national consciousness. We were bred to be on the national stage and the past week proves that. My take is the national reaction to JMU is less of "wow, I didn't realize FCS schools had so much to offer" but more of "what the hell is JMU doing in FCS???" Go Dukes!
10-25-2015 05:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

hburg Offline

RE: This week's impact on JMU2FBS.com
Good job that is a very nice increase, way to go :).
10-25-2015 06:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dukester Offline

I Root For: JMU
(10-25-2015 06:10 PM)hburg Wrote:  Good job that is a very nice increase, way to go :).

Ditto
10-25-2015 06:14 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Nice!!!
10-25-2015 06:16 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Great job! Getting good awareness/traction, now we just need to work on conversion rate.

There ought to be some excellent media coming out of this weekend (articles/pictures/video) that would be great to use or link to.

Another thought - a little bit of SEO and some ad spend on google keywords or facebook, etc may be worthwhile once we figure out how to drive pledges.

Prior to the game think I estimated we would need approximately 1100 people pledging to hit $5M ? About 10% to that goal? Does that sound about right?
10-25-2015 06:22 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(10-25-2015 06:22 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  Great job! Getting good awareness/traction, now we just need to work on conversion rate.

There ought to be some excellent media coming out of this weekend (articles/pictures/video) that would be great to use or link to.

Another thought - a little bit of SEO and some ad spend on google keywords or facebook, etc may be worthwhile once we figure out how to drive pledges.

Prior to the game think I estimated we would need approximately 1100 people pledging to hit $5M ? About 10% to that goal? Does that sound about right?

At the current rate we'd need about 1,500 pledgers but I honestly think there are two factors that could dramatically reduce that. One is that there are probably folks who are interested in supporting FBS but might be looking at this as "sure, I throw a little something your way" and making a marginal pledge. Our campaign is so new and none of us really has a sense of how effective this effort will be. But I imagine that as we get more traction and make more waves they'll start kicking in more.

The other, and perhaps more crucial factor is the lack of "large" pledgers at this point. We have a few, but I think once more of them feel comfortable enough to make their presence known it will double and triple our current total. My hope is to actually get some of them to tie large pledges to pledge drives where they'll match "X" amount in pledges made within a certain timeframe. We could build an entire campaign around it.
10-25-2015 06:40 PM
HotHamandCheese84 Offline
Special Teams

This week's impact on JMU2FBS.com
I talked to a number of folks yesterday and many support the move but don't want to pledge on the site. They are concerned about people seeing their pledge or that it leaks out about their pledge. There is big money coming into the FBS pot if JMU announces a move.
10-25-2015 07:11 PM
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

What am I missing here...is it a security, or privacy concern?
10-25-2015 07:21 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2015 07:21 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  What am I missing here...is it a security, or privacy concern?

A little bit of both, but even I had those thoughts/concerns on a smaller pledge amount. In the end decided it was worth the risk and that the information if exposed would not be that devastating. Maybe we can organize another way to collect pledges via mail-in form or other means as well?

Wonder how the UAB folks did it? We could learn a lot from their campaign - they brought football back from death.
10-25-2015 07:27 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

$23 million...

Generosity is rarely devastating 03-wink
10-25-2015 07:34 PM
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2015 07:34 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  $23 million...

My real question was what techniques were used to raise those UAB pledges/funds both in terms of campaign and sign-ups. I'm sure it was more than a website.

If credit card or other financial details were requested I would not have signed up online. Email/name and mailing address was enough to give me pause. Many people exploit this type of info. Once someone hacks your email they can do a lot of damage.
10-25-2015 07:53 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2015 07:53 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(10-25-2015 07:34 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  $23 million...

My real question was what techniques were used to raise those UAB pledges/funds both in terms of campaign and sign-ups. I'm sure it was more than a website.

If credit card or other financial details were requested I would not have signed up online. Email/name and mailing address was enough to give me pause. Many people exploit this type of info. Once someone hacks your email they can do a lot of damage.

The number one thing they had was their head coach leading the charge.
10-26-2015 08:28 AM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
UAB is apples and oranges. The school announced they were killing the program. Any school that gets a whiff of that would have fundraising leverage that's completely unique.
10-26-2015 08:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.