Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Just sayin'
Bookmark and Share
olderduke Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
Just sayin'
So, get home from coaching a high school game in time to catch the 2nd half of an AAC game, Memphis vs Tulsa. While I don't think we could play with Memphis, we could definitely play with Tulsa.
10-23-2015 10:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

White Hall Offline
2nd String

RE: Just sayin'
We could definitely keep up with the bottom half of the AAC. We already beat SMU.
10-23-2015 10:52 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
(10-23-2015 10:52 PM)White Hall Wrote:  We could definitely keep up with the bottom half of the AAC. We already beat SMU.

Plus if not for an onside kick(that was questionable anyway) and an unlucky interception off a drop, we would've won pretty handily. Had some things go wrong and still did enough to get the W.
10-23-2015 11:00 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
While I get the "rational side" of this, its a little blasphemous to say there is any team we couldn't beat today ... Or at the least it's not Rootin on gameday!

We have an undefeated team that can hang nearly 50 points on FBS squads, and an improving defense. It's really hard to say what would happen if we took on these teams, but I like our odds now more than any time in the past.

Now ... Back to squishing spatters, my prediction: 66-0.

Is that rational? No, but neither is the GameDay insanity at JMU.
Time to dream big dreams!
10-23-2015 11:04 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

I'm just sayin', and it could be the 2nd bottle of wine, that thinking we would be competitive with the bottom half of the AAC, with an FCS roster....isn't it possible that we'd be able to compete with top half AAC schools for recruits if we were in their league?

I realize that several cerebral cortex' will be blown by this. Heck, what's the plural of cortex anyhow?
10-23-2015 11:05 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(10-23-2015 11:05 PM)olderduke Wrote:  I'm just sayin', and it could be the 2nd bottle of wine, that thinking we would be competitive with the bottom half of the AAC, with an FCS roster....isn't it possible that we'd be able to compete with top half AAC schools for recruits if we were in their league?

I realize that several cerebral cortex' will be blown by this. Heck, what's the plural of cortex anyhow?

Just a shame we can't join and hang on to Vad Lee for a few more years for a nice jump start!
10-23-2015 11:07 PM
Advertisement

olderduke Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Just sayin'
(10-23-2015 11:07 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 11:05 PM)olderduke Wrote:  I'm just sayin', and it could be the 2nd bottle of wine, that thinking we would be competitive with the bottom half of the AAC, with an FCS roster....isn't it possible that we'd be able to compete with top half AAC schools for recruits if we were in their league?

Just a shame we can't join and hang on to Vad Lee for a few more years for a nice jump start!

True
10-23-2015 11:16 PM
olderduke Offline
1st String

Re: RE: Just sayin'
(10-23-2015 11:04 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  While I get the "rational side" of this, its a little blasphemous to say there is any team we couldn't beat today ... Or at the least it's not Rootin on gameday!

We have an undefeated team that can hang nearly 50 points on FBS squads, and an improving defense. It's really hard to say what would happen if we took on these teams, but I like our odds now more than any time in the past.

Just in case it wasn't clear in other posts, I hope we beat these insect ******* 100-0
10-23-2015 11:18 PM
JMU2009 Offline
Water Engineer

(10-23-2015 11:18 PM)olderduke Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 11:04 PM)JMURocks Wrote:  While I get the "rational side" of this, its a little blasphemous to say there is any team we couldn't beat today ... Or at the least it's not Rootin on gameday!

Just in case it wasn't clear in other posts, I hope we beat these insect ******* 100-0

There's no question. Those privileged brats will be so butt-hurt, they will beg for D3.
10-24-2015 12:44 AM
s2dsayer Offline
All American

I Root For: Duuuuukes
(10-23-2015 11:18 PM)olderduke Wrote:  I hope we beat these insect ******* 100-0

Hahaha, yes, this x1000000. That should've been a sign
10-24-2015 12:15 PM
White Hall Offline
2nd String

Absolutely. I was thinking as of this year's team. Given a few years of FBS level recruiting, I think we could a top 25 FBS program.
10-24-2015 01:26 PM
Advertisement

DWING Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU & JMU & ECU
(10-24-2015 01:26 PM)White Hall Wrote:  

Absolutely. I was thinking as of this year's team. Given a few years of FBS level recruiting, I think we could a top 25 FBS program.

I like your optimism!
10-24-2015 01:37 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-24-2015 01:37 PM)DWING Wrote:  

I like your optimism!

Me too, as optimism is infectious, however, Georgia Southern came into FBS as strong as Boise State did and we are not at their level as a program. We have a good program and there is no reason we shouldn't always be competitive given the resources we have, but over the past 10 years we have rarely played a schedule that we weren't given at least a .500 record before the season began.

Until last night and before the season began just about everyone on here would have predicted us to be 6 - 1 through seven games and then to go no worse than .500 over the final four games. The same people would have predicted the same results no matter the coach or players on the field. This is called scheduling a winning record.

Take a look at next season. At this very moment everyone on here will predict a win over Morehead State and Central Connecticut State University. Everyone on here will also predict a victory over Elon and URI next season. We all believe we could play and win all four of these games without playing a single starter and most likely be correct. Then, all it will take is to win two of the other seven games and we will be 6 - 5.

Our athletes should not play more than two games where they know the outcome prior to KO. Until the mindset in scheduling changes, we will never be a consistently over-the-top team like Boise, GA Southern, and Marshall were during their FCS days. We will have our day to shine, but not the consistent domination we so desire.

I firmly believe "one" reason JB is reserved in positioning JMU as FBS ready is his fear of losing on the field. Remember, he and he alone, is responsible for our football team's schedule.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 10:51 AM by BleedingPurple.)
10-25-2015 10:48 AM
White Hall Offline
2nd String

(10-25-2015 10:48 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

I like your optimism!

Me too, as optimism is infectious, however, Georgia Southern came into FBS as strong as Boise State did and we are not at their level as a program. We have a good program and there is no reason we shouldn't always be competitive given the resources we have, but over the past 10 years we have rarely played a schedule that we weren't given at least a .500 record before the season began.

Until last night and before the season began just about everyone on here would have predicted us to be 6 - 1 through seven games and then to go no worse than .500 over the final four games. The same people would have predicted the same results no matter the coach or players on the field. This is called scheduling a winning record.

Take a look at next season. At this very moment everyone on here will predict a win over Morehead State and Central Connecticut State University. Everyone on here will also predict a victory over Elon and URI next season. We all believe we could play and win all four of these games without playing a single starter and most likely be correct. Then, all it will take is to win two of the other seven games and we will be 6 - 5.

Our athletes should not play more than two games where they know the outcome prior to KO. Until the mindset in scheduling changes, we will never be a consistently over-the-top team like Boise, GA Southern, and Marshall were during their FCS days. We will have our day to shine, but not the consistent domination we so desire.

I firmly believe "one" reason JB is reserved in positioning JMU as FBS ready is his fear of losing on the field. Remember, he and he alone, is responsible for our football team's schedule.

Hopefully we will add an FBS game in the offseason like we did with SMU this season. URI and Elon are conference games so there is nothing we can do about that (unless we move to FBS). And I think it's ok to schedule one cupcake a year, especially if it is the first game of the season so we can work out the kinks. So we really just need to upgrade one non-conference game to a better FCS game. The problem is most of the FCS non-conference power schools are a good distance away and since most can't pay a big guarantee, I wonder if travel costs combined with the loss of one home game is a big issue.
10-25-2015 03:16 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2015 03:16 PM)White Hall Wrote:  
(10-25-2015 10:48 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

I like your optimism!

Hopefully we will add an FBS game in the offseason like we did with SMU this season. URI and Elon are conference games so there is nothing we can do about that (unless we move to FBS). And I think it's ok to schedule one cupcake a year, especially if it is the first game of the season so we can work out the kinks. So we really just need to upgrade one non-conference game to a better FCS game. The problem is most of the FCS non-conference power schools are a good distance away and since most can't pay a big guarantee, I wonder if travel costs combined with the loss of one home game is a big issue.

My personal opinon is that a Morehead State type team should only be scheduled when we have a 12 game season. Otherwise, a Lehigh/Lafayette/Wofford/Furman type team should suffice for two of our OOC games and then add in a SMU/Wake/ECU type team for our FBS game.
10-25-2015 03:56 PM
CaryNCDuke Offline
Special Teams

Umm, you guys realize we are playing UNC next year right?????

WE PLAY UNC NEXT YEAR!!!!!
10-25-2015 04:04 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Just sayin'
(10-25-2015 04:04 PM)CaryNCDuke Wrote:  Umm, you guys realize we are playing UNC next year right?????

What date?
10-25-2015 04:13 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes

I'll have what he's having
10-25-2015 04:18 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-25-2015 04:13 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(10-25-2015 04:04 PM)CaryNCDuke Wrote:  Umm, you guys realize we are playing UNC next year right?????

What date?

The 17th day of September in the year 2016.
10-25-2015 04:20 PM
CISDuke2014 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
(10-25-2015 04:13 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  

What date?

FBS Schedules has us playing UNC Sept 7 in Chapel Hill.

EDIT: BP has it right it the 17th
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 04:23 PM by CISDuke2014.)
10-25-2015 04:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.