Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2015-2016 Basketball Schedule
Bookmark and Share
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I got a Liberty Journal the other day and one of the last pages was devoted to upcoming sporting events for all programs. It listed the men's basketball schedule and I'm still in disbelief of how underwhelming it is. Just one school from one of the power conferences (ACC, at Notre Dame (which is really awesome if it is home/home but still awesome regardless)). We get one Ivy League school (at Princeton), we have one Sun Belt (at home, App State), and two non-conference Virginia schools (home, William & Mary; at VCU). Other than that, it pretty much sucks.

Just look at our first four games. Now sing to yourself that Sesame Street song, "Which of these things is not like the other?" and you'll see that William & Mary is the only Division I school (I think, which also helps further the point that these schools are so unrecognizable and makes for an unattractive schedule).

The only positive, if you can find a silver lining, is that the majority of games should be winnable. Granted, they are all saying that about us right now too. So I'm going to put out there 8.5 as the over/under for wins on the year. I'll take the over by a slight margin, hopefully breaking double-digit wins this year at a 10-21 regular season record.
(This post was last modified: 10-21-2015 06:30 PM by GE and MTS.)
10-21-2015 06:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: 2015-2016 Basketball Schedule
I don't think it would be wise to schedule a bunch of teams we can't complete with right now. This is year one of the rebuilding project, so we're going to have to be take some hits. The poor schedule is one of the hits as a fan and supporter of the program.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
10-22-2015 10:59 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I see both sides of the coin. If we don't schedule teams that are attractive, we won't put butts in the seats and recruits won't be interested in coming to join a program that plays a bunch of nobodies. If we schedule games we have no chance at winning, then we won't attract recruits who want to win and fans won't come to see a loser. It is tightrope that needs to be carefully walked. I just feel that the schedule is too far towards the easy side.

Schedules are generally made years in advanced, right? We probably didn't expect to be coming off as one of the worst basketball teams last year.
10-22-2015 08:35 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

Basketball schedule are very different from football. While some football schedule are made years in advance, bandgap is typically more fluid and is only made 1-2 years in advance.

10-22-2015 10:39 PM
PAmedic Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Liberty
(10-22-2015 10:39 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  ... bandgap is typically more fluid and is only made 1-2 years in advance.

bandgap

(bānd'gāp')
The difference in energy in a substance between electron orbitals in which the electrons are not free to move (the valence band) and orbitals in which they are relatively free and will carry a current (the conduction band).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bandgap

That's some good science knowledge first thing in the AM, bravo
10-23-2015 07:20 AM
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

Ha, good catch. I meant basketball of course.

10-23-2015 10:45 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
I actually like the schedule, I think. I assume those first two games are scrimmages... right? Other than that, it's a decent schedule for a team like ours currently.
10-24-2015 08:50 AM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
Liberty should contact St. Francis University for a series.
10-24-2015 08:03 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Let the team schedule so that we can at least finish the season better than .500. At that point work on the strength of schedule and marquee match ups. I'd like to schedule the ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 annually. Mix in some in-state games and you should make fans happy and get your name and image on TV because of the other opponents.

The problem is getting better teams to come to Lynchburg. We may have to play a bunch of one and done games on the road if we want to play better opponents.
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2015 09:19 AM by army56mike.)
10-25-2015 09:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.