Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Football coaching carousel
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
College Football coaching carousel
Starting very early this year.

Just this weekend alone, we've had the North Texas coach (McCarney) fired immediately after yesterday's game, and today Maryland fired its coach (Edsall) and USC's Steve Sarkisian is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons.

They may be well paid, but coaching college football can't be good for one's health.
10-11-2015 06:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
RE: College Football coaching carousel
(10-11-2015 06:15 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Starting very early this year.

Just this weekend alone, we've had the North Texas coach (McCarney) fired immediately after yesterday's game, and today Maryland fired its coach (Edsall) and USC's Steve Sarkisian is taking a leave of absence for personal reasons.

They may be well paid, but coaching college football can't be good for one's health.

In Sarkisan's case bottles of Patron Tequila are more dangerous than coaching.
10-12-2015 08:09 AM
Converted Rice Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice/Baylor
Pat Hayden and Sark should exit together.
10-12-2015 08:22 AM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
I'll give credit to Haden for not firing Sarkisian and just suspending him from duty. Sarkisian is going through a divorce and may have been an alcoholic before that occurred, so firing him would have probably caused him to turn to the bottle even more than he clearly already does (supposedly drunk during a game in late September?). Anyways, good to see him do the right thing for now, at least in terms of benefiting Sarkisian's mental/physical state as a person. Although I agree that they will be both gone eventually.
10-12-2015 08:25 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators

well, that's three in the AnybodyButBailiff pool.
10-12-2015 08:26 AM
Frizzy Owl Offline
Heisman

(10-12-2015 08:25 AM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  I'll give credit to Haden for not firing Sarkisian and just suspending him from duty. Sarkisian is going through a divorce and may have been an alcoholic before that occurred, so firing him would have probably caused him to turn to the bottle even more than he clearly already does (supposedly drunk during a game in late September?). Anyways, good to see him do the right thing for now, at least in terms of benefiting Sarkisian's mental/physical state as a person. Although I agree that they will be both gone eventually.

Firing him without opportunity to seek treatment would probably be illegal.
10-12-2015 08:39 AM
Advertisement

Orange County Owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
(10-12-2015 08:25 AM)westsidewolf1989 Wrote:  I'll give credit to Haden for not firing Sarkisian and just suspending him from duty. Sarkisian is going through a divorce and may have been an alcoholic before that occurred, so firing him would have probably caused him to turn to the bottle even more than he clearly already does (supposedly drunk during a game in late September?). Anyways, good to see him do the right thing for now, at least in terms of benefiting Sarkisian's mental/physical state as a person. Although I agree that they will be both gone eventually.

Check the timeline from Scott Wolf of the LA Daily News for some of the painful Sark details.

https://twitter.com/insideusc
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 08:47 AM by Orange County Owl.)
10-12-2015 08:46 AM
YOwl Ming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Re: RE: College Football coaching carousel
(10-12-2015 08:39 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  

Firing him without opportunity to seek treatment would probably be illegal.

It's easier legally (and financially) to fire the AD Haden, an act which will probably happen first
10-12-2015 09:30 AM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

(10-12-2015 08:26 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

These days, its nothing but strawman arguments. Really unsure who or what this is directed at or how it contributes to anything.
10-12-2015 09:31 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(10-12-2015 09:31 AM)Antarius Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 08:26 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

These days, its nothing but strawman arguments. Really unsure who or what this is directed at or how it contributes to anything.

It's directed at the people who say AnybodyButBailiff. It contributes the thought that Anybody might not be a good choice. Some might be worse.

Seriously, do you really want JK's list to have everybody but Bailiff?

If bailiff is fired, I want his replacement to be better than him in every way, or at least as many as possible. I don't think "anybody" fits that bill. the examples in the post are a few "anybodies" that I, for one, would not think better choices.
10-12-2015 09:42 AM
westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

Guess I spoke too soon. Sarkisian fired.
10-12-2015 03:49 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(10-12-2015 08:39 AM)Frizzy Owl Wrote:  It's easier legally (and financially) to fire the AD Haden, an act which will probably happen first

They probably had a moral turpitude clause in the contract and it just took them a day to make sure they were within their rights to fire him. Now I'm not saying Haden isn't soon gone after him, but it was a stupid hire to begin with and Haden can only rest on his Rhodes Scholar and college/NFL laurels for so long. Starting with his shenanigans on the field in last year's Stanford game, Haden has been very Greenspan-like. I wonder if he made any off-color jokes to Omar Oraby?
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 04:03 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
10-12-2015 04:03 PM
dragon2owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Sarkisian officially fired.
10-12-2015 04:23 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
At this point, I see no justification for firing David Bailiff. That doesn't mean I'm 100% behind every move he makes. I'm not, and some of them leave me totally shocked. There are times when he leaves me wondering just what in the hell he is trying to accomplish.

But he has won enough games the last few years to keep his job, particularly since he does so many other things well. I don't think he can elevate Rice football to the level of attracting a P5 invite. But I'm not sure that Knute Rockne or Paul Bryant or Bill Walsh reincarnated could, either. For the present, I think he does a sufficiently adequate job to stay while we address some larger issues in the athletic program.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 09:45 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
10-12-2015 07:32 PM
Klobasnek Offline
Bench Warmer

Steve Spurrier is retiring at South Carolina.
10-12-2015 08:31 PM
Fort Bend Owl Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Wow, another big move in what has probably been the most monumental week of college football in-season coaching changes in history. I think I read also that O'Leary at UCF will announce tomorrow he's giving up his AD duties (but will continue to be the head coach there).
10-12-2015 08:40 PM
Advertisement

WIowl Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(10-12-2015 07:32 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  At this point, I see no justification for firing David Bailiff. That doesn't mean I'm 100% behind every move he makes. I'm not, and some of them leave me totally shocked. There are times when he leaves me wondering just what in the hell he is trying to accomplish.

But he has won enough games the last few years to keep his job, particularly since he does so many other things well. I don't think he can elevate Rice football to the level of attracting a P5 invite. But I'm not sure that the ghost of Knute Rockne or Paul Bryant or Bill Walsh could, either. For the present, I think he does a sufficiently adequate job to stay while we address some larger issues in the athletic program.

Other than hoping Baylor fans buy a lot of tickets next year, how do you expect to: 1) increase the casual fan's interest to attend a Rice football game when Bailiff is unable to beat top CUSA teams, 2) increase season tickets sales, and 3) significantly increase revenue (the bottom line)?

It's not happening with Bailiff remaining and so we continue to tread water. I do not understand how that is acceptable, year after year after year.

Unlike UNT, if Wagner had won 66-7, Rice would not have fired Bailiff.
(This post was last modified: 10-12-2015 08:56 PM by WIowl.)
10-12-2015 08:54 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Steve Spurrior retiring effective immediately. Interesting
10-12-2015 10:46 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(10-12-2015 08:54 PM)WIowl Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 07:32 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  At this point, I see no justification for firing David Bailiff. That doesn't mean I'm 100% behind every move he makes. I'm not, and some of them leave me totally shocked. There are times when he leaves me wondering just what in the hell he is trying to accomplish.

But he has won enough games the last few years to keep his job, particularly since he does so many other things well. I don't think he can elevate Rice football to the level of attracting a P5 invite. But I'm not sure that the ghost of Knute Rockne or Paul Bryant or Bill Walsh could, either. For the present, I think he does a sufficiently adequate job to stay while we address some larger issues in the athletic program.

Other than hoping Baylor fans buy a lot of tickets next year, how do you expect to: 1) increase the casual fan's interest to attend a Rice football game when Bailiff is unable to beat top CUSA teams, 2) increase season tickets sales, and 3) significantly increase revenue (the bottom line)?

It's not happening with Bailiff remaining and so we continue to tread water. I do not understand how that is acceptable, year after year after year.

Unlike UNT, if Wagner had won 66-7, Rice would not have fired Bailiff.

It sounded like there was something going on at UNT, other than just the bad losses. The way they got beat seemed more like the players quit on the coaches, as opposed to just getting beat badly. Usually there is a reason for that. (good or bad)

I suspect the AD had the full scoop on the situation.
10-12-2015 11:21 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
(10-12-2015 07:32 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  For the present, I think he does a sufficiently adequate job to stay while we address some larger issues in the athletic program.

So what are priorities 1, 2, and 3?
10-13-2015 12:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.