ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Old vs New (Which teams were/are better)
ETSUDB8-79 Offline
Coach

I Root For: ODU-ETSU
So to continue from another thread which ODU teams or Offensive/defensive units were the best? Which players have stood out on those units/teams? Oh, and favorite special teams folk as well. We have sure had some great kickers in all phases of the game.
10-08-2015 12:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
RE: Old vs New (Which teams were/are better)
(10-08-2015 12:29 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  So to continue from another thread which ODU teams or Offensive/defensive units were the best? Which players have stood out on those units/teams? Oh, and favorite special teams folk as well. We have sure had some great kickers in all phases of the game.

Best overall defense - right now
Best overall offense - 2012
Best overall team 2011
Best punter Jonathan Plisco
Best kicker Jarod Brown
Best QB TH
Best RB Ray Lawry
Best OL David Born
Best DL Ronnie Cameron
Best LB Craig Wilkins
Best DB Felonte Misher
Best WR Larry Pinkard
Best Coach Bobby Wilder
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 12:58 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-08-2015 12:38 PM
odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(10-08-2015 12:38 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 12:29 PM)ETSUDB8-79 Wrote:  So to continue from another thread which ODU teams or Offensive/defensive units were the best? Which players have stood out on those units/teams? Oh, and favorite special teams folk as well. We have sure had some great kickers in all phases of the game.

Best overall team 2011
Best kicker Jarod Brown
Best QB TH
Best RB Ray Lawry
Best OL David Born
Best DL Ronnie Cameron
Best LB Craig Wilkins
Best DB Felonte Misher
Best Coach Bobby Wilder

That was quick. Well Done.
10-08-2015 12:43 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
(10-08-2015 12:38 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Best overall team 2011
Best kicker Jarod Brown
Best QB TH
Best RB Ray Lawry
Best OL David Born
Best DL Ronnie Cameron
Best LB Craig Wilkins
Best DB Felonte Misher
Best Coach Bobby Wilder

Pretty fair and some without question, I do think we're going to see some of these young DL and DB's come out better in the long run.
10-08-2015 12:44 PM
ODUCoach Offline
Heisman

Give me Ricks over Wilkins, and I think I might take Coward over Cameron (and definitely would take this defensive line unit over any others we've had). Also, FWIW, give me Antonio Vaughan as the Best WR (others may have been more talented...I'm looking at you Pinkard...) but Vaughan was better for us, if for no other reason, because he gave us all four years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 12:48 PM by ODUCoach.)
10-08-2015 12:48 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 12:48 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Give me Ricks over Wilkins, and I think I might take Coward over Cameron (and definitely would take this defensive line unit over any others we've had). Also, FWIW, give me Antonio Vaughan as the Best WR (others may have been more talented...I'm looking at you Pinkard...) but Vaughan was better for us, if for no other reason, because he gave us all four years.

Coach, come on. Wilkins would dominate any of our current LBs. The biggest difference is he could catch a football when it hit him in the hands. I like TJ, but he has issues catching errant passes right in his hands. Prerequisite for being a good LB
10-08-2015 12:50 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Online
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(10-08-2015 12:48 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Give me Ricks over Wilkins, and I think I might take Coward over Cameron (and definitely would take this defensive line unit over any others we've had). Also, FWIW, give me Antonio Vaughan as the Best WR (others may have been more talented...I'm looking at you Pinkard...) but Vaughan was better for us, if for no other reason, because he gave us all four years.

Certainly the entire defensive line is better than we have ever had. I need to look more closley at Ricks. I have no clue on Coward as an individual talent.
I think I still have to take Pinkard from a pure talent perspective, but I know at least one poster on here that agrees with you about Vaughan, right David?
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2015 12:56 PM by ODUalum78.)
10-08-2015 12:53 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

I don't know how you can have a conversation about ODU's best wide receiver without including Nick Mayers. Here is his highlight video. Watch all the way to the end and be amazed. If he was two or three inches taller, he would be playing in the NFL today.

10-08-2015 01:16 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
We have had several great receivers in our short span (A. Vaughan, Pinkard, B. Roberts, N. Mayers, Pascal, etc) but I always wondered what could have been with Reid Evans... Its a shame that he got into some legal trouble, I feel like he could have been a huge asset for Heinicke, along with the others who got kicked off the team (I can't remember if it was during the same year or not)
10-08-2015 01:24 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 01:16 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  I don't know how you can have a conversation about ODU's best wide receiver without including Nick Mayers. Here is his highlight video. Watch all the way to the end and be amazed. If he was two or three inches taller, he would be playing in the NFL today.

I agree. He is one of my favorite receivers we've ever had. He was so fast and could catch anything Taylor threw his way
10-08-2015 01:25 PM
Monarchy Anarchy Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-08-2015 01:25 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 01:16 PM)ODU AGGIE Wrote:  I don't know how you can have a conversation about ODU's best wide receiver without including Nick Mayers. Here is his highlight video. Watch all the way to the end and be amazed. If he was two or three inches taller, he would be playing in the NFL today.

I agree. He is one of my favorite receivers we've ever had. He was so fast and could catch anything Taylor threw his way

Nick Mayers was the most clutch receiver I can remember us having. It seemed like he was always catching the tough passes on 3rd & 4th down that were needed to extend the drive. His season in 2012 was pretty awesome: 1233 yards receiving, 16 touchdowns, averaging 95 yards a game. I don't know if we'll see a receiver who was that in sync with the QB for a while.
10-08-2015 02:43 PM
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
(10-08-2015 12:53 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

Certainly the entire defensive line is better than we have ever had. I need to look more closley at Ricks. I have no clue on Coward as an individual talent.
I think I still have to take Pinkard from a pure talent perspective, but I know at least one poster on here that agrees with you about Vaughan, right David?
04-cheers

Vaughan and Mayers were really great receivers. Pinkard is very close to sticking it in the pro's.
10-08-2015 02:43 PM
84Monarch Offline
1st String

Pinkard's lost senior season is what I wonder about. He was good for at least helping us get one more win, probably two.
10-08-2015 02:48 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Just to point out something very important. Guys will look better playing against JMU then they will playing against Conference USA foes. Any comparison of the 2011 teams vs. 2015 is highly subjective in that sense.

In my personal opinion, the surrounding talent outside of QB is significantly better now than it has ever been (in aggregate). This is something supported by Bobby Wilder. Ray Lawry is the best RB we've ever had. Ward/Fox/Coward/XImenes is a huge step up from any defensive line we have ever seen. Our defensive lines back then didn't dominate FCS competition and we are now seeing our DL win battles vs. FBS competition. Many of the players we have on defense would have never considered ODU if we were FCS.

Larry Pinkard is the best WR we have every had, imo. It's a shame we didn't get to see his senior year.

Tyler Fisher is possibly the best OL we have every had. (IMO, he is) Talent wise, Garcia and Clarke are far more talented than Morrell, Lowney, Born, etc, but they are both young right now. I would expect all 3 to get "looks" in the NFL.

Its too early to tell right now how many FBS wins we will have this year. Without Heinicke, I do not think we would have had any FBS wins in our history. I think people are forgetting how large of the jump in talent is from FCS to FBS and it's not simply depth.
10-08-2015 03:20 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

(10-08-2015 12:50 PM)84Monarch Wrote:  

Coach, come on. Wilkins would dominate any of our current LBs. The biggest difference is he could catch a football when it hit him in the hands. I like TJ, but he has issues catching errant passes right in his hands. Prerequisite for being a good LB

I'm thinking Wilkins would be a safety on today's team.
10-08-2015 03:58 PM
AimHigher Offline
Heisman

Outside of the play makers and stars we have had Drew Hareza will always have a place in my book.

In our first game vs. Chowan he was 5 for 5 on field goals and 3 for 3 on extra points. He accounted for 18 points that game. I'll remember him for being the star of the game. I would say if we had the kickers we have now we would barely win that game.
10-08-2015 04:21 PM
Advertisement

MonGNARch Offline
1st String

(10-08-2015 03:58 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  

TBH when I first saw him play I thought he was a safety lol, it was a combination of his size (before he bulked up) and number
10-08-2015 06:32 PM
The Flagship Offline
All American

(10-08-2015 06:32 PM)MonGNARch Wrote:  
(10-08-2015 03:58 PM)The Flagship Wrote:  

TBH when I first saw him play I thought he was a safety lol, it was a combination of his size (before he bulked up) and number

That's because he WAS a safety at first.
10-08-2015 06:59 PM
Sirloin Burger Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU & VT
Best Overall Personal Fouls - 2011
10-08-2015 10:11 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

Special Teams: never lol
10-09-2015 04:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.