Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"We the Purple" Failure
Bookmark and Share
JMURACQUETBALL Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
"We the Purple" Failure
I am a current student here at JMU. Other friends and myself are bummed at the athletic situation here at JMU. FCS football, sub par basketball team, no atmosphere, etc... I reached out to the leader of the student fan group "We the Purple" to lead a charge to pump up the students for football and basketball games and he said they were every week... doesn't look like it to me with no students at football games. I would try to lead the cause for the students but I cannot because of other obligations. I've tried contacting JMU Athletics Marketing but no response. Just wanted to let everyone know the students care, but no one will do anything about it. No one comes to football games because no one cares about ANY of the teams playing at BFS. Not even a W&M or UD. Someone should tell the administration to market games as "purple out" or "black out" and give shirts to everyone. Also more incentives for students. The duke rewards app doesn't even work. Make them aware that students want to care, but don't.
03-banghead
10-07-2015 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
RE: "We the Purple" Failure
(10-07-2015 02:36 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  I am a current student here at JMU. Other friends and myself are bummed at the athletic situation here at JMU. FCS football, sub par basketball team, no atmosphere, etc... I reached out to the leader of the student fan group "We the Purple" to lead a charge to pump up the students for football and basketball games and he said they were every week... doesn't look like it to me with no students at football games. I would try to lead the cause for the students but I cannot because of other obligations. I've tried contacting JMU Athletics Marketing but no response. Just wanted to let everyone know the students care, but no one will do anything about it. No one comes to football games because no one cares about ANY of the teams playing at BFS. Not even a W&M or UD. Someone should tell the administration to market games as "purple out" or "black out" and give shirts to everyone. Also more incentives for students. The duke rewards app doesn't even work. Make them aware that students want to care, but don't.
03-banghead

"We are happy where we are" - JMU Admin

That tells you all you need to know.
10-07-2015 02:56 PM
jmu-fan-1981 Offline
1st String

bring back to student duke club!
10-07-2015 03:05 PM
bridgeforthduke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Do you follow Coach Withers on Twitter? You should reach out to him and/or some of his staff with your ideas and frustrations.
10-07-2015 03:09 PM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
(10-07-2015 02:36 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  I am a current student here at JMU. Other friends and myself are bummed at the athletic situation here at JMU. FCS football, sub par basketball team, no atmosphere, etc... I reached out to the leader of the student fan group "We the Purple" to lead a charge to pump up the students for football and basketball games and he said they were every week... doesn't look like it to me with no students at football games. I would try to lead the cause for the students but I cannot because of other obligations. I've tried contacting JMU Athletics Marketing but no response. Just wanted to let everyone know the students care, but no one will do anything about it. No one comes to football games because no one cares about ANY of the teams playing at BFS. Not even a W&M or UD. Someone should tell the administration to market games as "purple out" or "black out" and give shirts to everyone. Also more incentives for students. The duke rewards app doesn't even work. Make them aware that students want to care, but don't.

Your complaints confuse me.

You start out by saying that no one cares because we're playing FCS football. But they you say that the game-day atmosphere is to blame. But then you say that no one cares about any of the teams playing at BFS, seemingly switching back to the FCS football issue. But then you blame game-day atmosphere again.

Which one is to blame for student complacency?

If it's FCS football, join the "old man yells at cloud" party. It's raging here on the boards.

If it's really game-day atmosphere, by all means, communicate it to the administration and marketing and whoever will listen. Just don't muddy up the message by telling them "no one cares about ANY of the teams playing at BFS." Why would anyone listen to your thoughts on game-day if you're just going to ignore the product offered on the field anyway?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 03:11 PM by bjk3047.)
10-07-2015 03:11 PM
Pitz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes.
Welcome JMURACQUETBALL! Always enjoy hearing insight from current students, as I become further removed with every year that passes.

Athletics Marketing recently hired a new director that got thrown into the gauntlet of football season in his first week, and am sure is just now finally settling in and figuring out the ropes. Have you tried reaching out the any other members of the marketing staff? I know there are a lot of smart, capable people in that office that love the Dukes.

Last year's playoff game was marketed as a black out and featured free t-shirts, and I know there are at least three basketball games on the schedule this year slated for their respective "-outs."

Keep fighting the good fight! Although if you're just looking to ***** and moan about "the admin" and ruin every thread on this board, you'll find some good company here too.
10-07-2015 03:12 PM
Advertisement

Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
03-banghead

News flash, alum care, future alum care but the admin cares just enough to lie about caring while preventing change.

Our president wrote a letter sh#tting on the future of college athletics and the next day our AD said, "if you really smell it, it smells like a Rose." See that pun there???
10-07-2015 03:44 PM
JMU DUUUKES LAW Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Back in my day sonny (2004-07) .... I had a similar idea and just walked in marketing office, told them I'm traveling to Delaware for the away game, can I have all of your thundersticks ... and guess what , she just gave them to me. Didn't even know who I was or make sur eI was really going. After that I started routinely going in there and j ust taking boxes of them and passing them out. Not that we may need that task done, just saying walk in there and say "can I have some materials to pass around and start hype"

Wait how did I get on this thread? I'm only posting in DPI.... sorry, ignr
10-07-2015 04:11 PM
JMUBarry Offline
Bench Warmer

03-banghead

JMURacquetball - I sent you a PM on this topic, please check it
10-07-2015 04:17 PM
JMURACQUETBALL Offline
Water Engineer

(10-07-2015 03:11 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  

You start out by saying that no one cares because we're playing FCS football. But they you say that the game-day atmosphere is to blame. But then you say that no one cares about any of the teams playing at BFS, seemingly switching back to the FCS football issue. But then you blame game-day atmosphere again.

If it's FCS football, join the "old man yells at cloud" party. It's raging here on the boards.

If it's really game-day atmosphere, by all means, communicate it to the administration and marketing and whoever will listen. Just don't muddy up the message by telling them "no one cares about ANY of the teams playing at BFS." Why would anyone listen to your thoughts on game-day if you're just going to ignore the product offered on the field anyway?
Part of the gameday atmosphere problem is that we are in fcs and don't play teams students want to see... Wouldn't you agree that these aren't separate problems? Remember the UVA v. JMU basketball game last year? Students were going nuts trying to get tickets for it and the atmosphere was 1000% better than and regular JMU basketball game
10-07-2015 04:37 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(10-07-2015 04:37 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  

Part of the gameday atmosphere problem is that we are in fcs and don't play teams students want to see... Wouldn't you agree that these aren't separate problems? Remember the UVA v. JMU basketball game last year? Students were going nuts trying to get tickets for it and the atmosphere was 1000% better than and regular JMU basketball game

Did you think JMU played in the ACC when you sent in your application? JMU has played roughly the same football and men's basketball opponents for like 20 years now (minus ODU/VCU/GMU for basketball) so how can you say that you are bummed by the opponents we schedule when this was a known entity prior to you applying?

Also, I am truly interested in your opinion regarding a topic that has been discussed on here before. If JMU moved to FBS and played in the Sun Belt, in your opinion, How many more JMU students really show up to watch JMU host Texas State, Troy, Louisiana Monroe or South Alabama compared to games against Richmond, William and Mary, Villanova or Delaware?
Follow up question: In your opinion, if JMU was playing in it, are JMU students more likely to attend the FCS Championship game where a National Championship is on the line (and/or any playoff games leading up to this game) or attend the Cure Bowl (yes, that is a real SB bowl tie in)?
10-07-2015 04:58 PM
Advertisement

JMUisat2014 Offline
Water Engineer

03-banghead

As a 2014 graduate I'm going to say I have a pretty good grasp of what is going on at JMU with respect to student participation in sporting events. It's the end of a long day so forgive me if I ramble.

- a general lack of knowledge about FCS football, but also football in general. Those who truly love football really will be able to get themselves behind a team at any level. unfortunately those types are few and far between at JMU. the amount of times I asked friends why they were tailgating and not going to the game was ridiculous. I don't know if you all realize how large a portion of students just tailgate and then go home with no intention of seeing the game or maybe going for the first half. Their reasoning: "dude don't we suck?" "we aren't good at football" "i don't even know who we're playing" etc. Now part of this you all will jump on and say "SEE WE NEED FBS". but really it wouldn't have as much of an affect as you might think. There is a strong vocal minority crazy about JMU sports. The problem is a huge amount of intellectual laziness (and I think this is something that is a huge issue for my generation in general). No one takes the initiative to look around and see what our program is, how far we've come. The vast majority of students are too lazy to take 30 mins to read about JMU football. They literally know nothing about it. I would pop stats off the top of my head and across the board the responses were, "really?", or "wow I didn't know that". Lazy. College. Students. Who didn't come to JMU because they thought we had a good football team. They came here to party and get a great education at a great price.

- (I'm not a sexist, please don't call me one) having a student population that is 65% women doesn't help the football fanbase either.

It's a student culture problem. The majority of students just see Sat games as an excuse to start drinking earlier. It made me furious when I would have to drag friends to games, or just go alone. People would look at me sideways when I would get excited about wins and talk about playoffs. And this was to people who are planted on the couch watching NFL all day every sunday and claimed to be "huge football fans"...

The games and atmosphere are what you make them. That cannot solely fall on the administration. They need a fanbase that actually gives a ****. Offering free stuff to get people to games is a bandaid on a severed limb scenario.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 05:13 PM by JMUisat2014.)
10-07-2015 05:05 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
Can't believe I'm typing this..but...does JMU need to start balancing out the M/F ratio a bit?
10-07-2015 05:08 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(10-07-2015 05:05 PM)JMUisat2014 Wrote:  
03-banghead

As a 2014 graduate I'm going to say I have a pretty good grasp of what is going on at JMU with respect to student participation in sporting events. It's the end of a long day so forgive me if I ramble.

- a general lack of knowledge about FCS football, but also football in general. Those who truly love football really will be able to get themselves behind a team at any level. unfortunately those types are few and far between at JMU. the amount of times I asked friends why they were tailgating and not going to the game was ridiculous. I don't know if you all realize how large a portion of students just tailgate and then go home with no intention of seeing the game or maybe going for the first half. Their reasoning: "dude don't we suck?" "we aren't good at football" "i don't even know who we're playing" etc. Now part of this you all will jump on and say "SEE WE NEED FBS". but really it wouldn't have as much of an affect as you might think. There is a strong vocal minority crazy about JMU sports. The problem is a huge amount of intellectual laziness (and I think this is something that is a huge issue for my generation in general). No one takes the initiative to look around and see what our program is, how far we've come. The vast majority of students are too lazy to take 30 mins to read about JMU football. They literally know nothing about it. I would pop stats off the top of my head and across the board the responses were, "really?", or "wow I didn't know that". Lazy. College. Students. Who didn't come to JMU because they thought we had a good football team. They came here to party and get a great education at a great price.

- (I'm not a sexist, please don't call me one) having a student population that is 65% women doesn't help the football fanbase either.

It's a student culture problem. The majority of students just see Sat games as an excuse to start drinking earlier. It made me furious when I would have to drag friends to games, or just go alone. People would look at me sideways when I would get excited about wins and talk about playoffs. And this was to people who are planted on the couch watching NFL all day every sunday and claimed to be "huge football fans"...

Great post - and something many of us on here already assumed so thank you for confirming this.
10-07-2015 05:12 PM
JMURACQUETBALL Offline
Water Engineer

(10-07-2015 04:58 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 04:37 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  

Did you think JMU played in the ACC when you sent in your application? JMU has played roughly the same football and men's basketball opponents for like 20 years now (minus ODU/VCU/GMU for basketball) so how can you say that you are bummed by the opponents we schedule when this was a known entity prior to you applying?

Also, I am truly interested in your opinion regarding a topic that has been discussed on here before. If JMU moved to FBS and played in the Sun Belt, in your opinion, How many more JMU students really show up to watch JMU host Texas State, Troy, Louisiana Monroe or South Alabama compared to games against Richmond, William and Mary, Villanova or Delaware?
Follow up question: In your opinion, if JMU was playing in it, are JMU students more likely to attend the FCS Championship game where a National Championship is on the line (and/or any playoff games leading up to this game) or attend the Cure Bowl (yes, that is a real SB bowl tie in)?

I don't know about you but I didn't choose to go to JMU based on what sports conference we are in... I obviously was fully aware we aren't in the ACC. I just made a statement that most opponents we play don't excite me.

And for your Sun Belt statement, I'm actually not sure. Personally I would come to all the games but I'm not sure if other people would. I feel like everyone would be excited about a conference move so they would come. If we did move up to FBS, we would have better OOC games, which would boost attendance.

For your FCS Championship vs. low bowl game, I wouldn't go to either because of travel costs. I would watch both on TV and if they were closer I would go to both. I believe that would be the same for most JMU students. I'm excited to see the turnout if we have a home playoff game that is not during thanksgiving break.
10-07-2015 05:36 PM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
(10-07-2015 04:37 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  Part of the gameday atmosphere problem is that we are in fcs and don't play teams students want to see... Wouldn't you agree that these aren't separate problems? Remember the UVA v. JMU basketball game last year? Students were going nuts trying to get tickets for it and the atmosphere was 1000% better than and regular JMU basketball game

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. "Going nuts trying to get tickets" is specifically an FCS issue. All of your arguments about t-shirt promotions and pumping up the students on a week to week basis are completely unactionable with regards to opponent scheduling.

I will reiterate: Why would anyone listen to your thoughts on game-day if you're just going to ignore the product offered on the field anyway?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 05:49 PM by bjk3047.)
10-07-2015 05:49 PM
Advertisement

VBVA_Dukes Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU Dukes
I'm a 2005 grad and I followed the team through the 2004 Championship season, Man, what an awesome ride that was. Before 2004 i went to a handful of games. Not for the product on the field or even the tailgating, but just to support the team and student athletes. We weren't very good 2001 to 2003, but games were fun nonetheless. At the start of 2004, my senior year, my roommates and I decided we would do big tailgates and lock down the top corner of section 1 for every game. The first game we were the only tailgaters in the baseball lot. But you know what? We won and we won and we won. By the W&M game to close the home schedule the baseball and hillside lot tailgates were out of control and BFS was standing room only. My roommates and I still think that we brought student tailgating back to JMU. Even then most students were apathetic, with some hardcores sprinkled in, but you'd probably be hard pressed to see different demographics at other schools today, including VT and UVA.
10-07-2015 05:55 PM
Centdukesfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Student duke club definitely needs a director of awesome
10-07-2015 06:07 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(10-07-2015 05:49 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 04:37 PM)JMURACQUETBALL Wrote:  Part of the gameday atmosphere problem is that we are in fcs and don't play teams students want to see... Wouldn't you agree that these aren't separate problems? Remember the UVA v. JMU basketball game last year? Students were going nuts trying to get tickets for it and the atmosphere was 1000% better than and regular JMU basketball game

I wholeheartedly disagree with you. "Going nuts trying to get tickets" is specifically an FCS issue. All of your arguments about t-shirt promotions and pumping up the students on a week to week basis are completely unactionable with regards to opponent scheduling.

I will reiterate: Why would anyone listen to your thoughts on game-day if you're just going to ignore the product offered on the field anyway?

Why you jumping down this guy's throat? People SHOULD listen to him because he's one of the few students on this board and care enough to even "engage". This guy needs to be nurtured and saved as part of a future generation of Duke fans. So keep throwing a bunch of barbs at him until he becomes disenfranchised like so many others.

The experience and the opponents are absolutely related and have a symbiotic relationship. If student, alumni, and fan support is to be generated there needs to be a draw to get them into the friggin building for the first time or else there's no chance. I don't care if they originally come because of the opponent, a giveaway, the scoreboard show, the marching band, or to watch the cheerleaders. A larger crowd and better energy makes for a better experience and maybe we'll actually get students coming who say "geez, I came for a free t-shirt but that was actually pretty fun".

All ideas and feedback welcome racquetball, ignore the hostility.
10-07-2015 06:16 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

"We the Purple" Failure
(10-07-2015 05:05 PM)JMUisat2014 Wrote:  
03-banghead

The games and atmosphere are what you make them. That cannot solely fall on the administration. They need a fanbase that actually gives a ****. Offering free stuff to get people to games is a bandaid on a severed limb scenario.

A f'in men! This just won the thread. Just be a fan of JMU and college football and quit complaining. If we won't stop thinking we should be Alabama, we won't stop being disappointed.
With that being said, we welcome all fans and I love the student posters and younger alums on here. Please stay!
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 06:49 PM by Potomac.)
10-07-2015 06:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.