UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

#FREEUAB flag in the background of Finebaum show
UAB86 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
#FREEUAB flag in the background of Finebaum show
We have a UAB fan with a #FREEUAB flag in the background of the Finebaum show. Anyone know who it might be?
10-02-2015 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rook360 Online
All American

RE: #FREEUAB flag in the background of Finebaum show
Is Finebaum at UGA for Gameday.
I think someone may have given some UAB gear to some UGA students.
10-02-2015 02:34 PM
UAB86 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-02-2015 02:34 PM)rook360 Wrote:  Is Finebaum at UGA for Gameday.
Gameday isn't in Athens but the SEC Network is there. I think it's probably a blazertalk member. Dude is decked out in UAB gear and has a #FREEUAB flag out there too. I'm actually in Athens for the game and would like to join him but I didn't pack a UAB shirt with me.
10-02-2015 02:41 PM
FNblazer Online
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
Could be our resident Rhodes Scholar Finalist Dr John Knox.
10-02-2015 02:53 PM
rook360 Online
All American

(10-02-2015 02:41 PM)UAB86 Wrote:  
Gameday isn't in Athens but the SEC Network is there. I think it's probably a blazertalk member. Dude is decked out in UAB gear and has a #FREEUAB flag out there too. I'm actually in Athens for the game and would like to join him but I didn't pack a UAB shirt with me.

Im gonna act like this was never typed or seen here.04-deal
10-02-2015 02:56 PM
Advertisement

blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
There are numerous UAB Blazer flags being waived!
10-02-2015 02:56 PM
UAB86 Offline
Bench Warmer

There are quite a few people back there now. Maybe 30 Blazer fans in the background now. The camera has zoomed in on Finebaum's face so that you can't see the crowd. Lame.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 02:59 PM by UAB86.)
10-02-2015 02:57 PM
blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Fbaum says the "Free UAB crowd has arrived" and they will talk to them later in the program.
10-02-2015 02:58 PM
stc Offline
If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong

I Root For: UAB!!!
Wal Mart Bama fans not happy with #FreeUAB on twitter....
10-02-2015 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Slushey51 Offline
Bench Warmer

Did he ever talk about them? I heard him mention them. I just want to know if they actually were able to get on the show.
10-02-2015 03:28 PM
UAB86 Offline
Bench Warmer

(10-02-2015 03:28 PM)Slushey51 Wrote:  Did he ever talk about them? I heard him mention them. I just want to know if they actually were able to get on the show.
No, not yet at least. They came back from commercial break and there was a smaller group than before and he mentioned "all 3 UAB fans are here supporting Jake Ganus" or something to that effect. The UAB crowd is not in the background anymore so maybe they are queued up to come on the show soon.
10-02-2015 03:44 PM
blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
#‎FreeUAB‬ at Athens, Georgia. We got the "U..A..B.. FREE!" chant going, and Finebaum turned around and talked to me. Here was our exchange:
Dr. John Knox posted on Facebook (not aired):
PF: "Why are you here?"
JK (incredulous): "Jake Ganus."
PF: (blank stare)
JK: "UGA."
PF: (blank stare)
JK: "UAB."
PF (pause) "Yeah, I should have thought of that."
JK (no pause): "If you were a sports journalist, you would've."
10-02-2015 03:47 PM
rook360 Online
All American

John Knox is my HERO!!!
10-02-2015 04:18 PM
Advertisement

WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Lots of butthurt on twitter...
10-02-2015 05:13 PM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

Back in 1981 Finebaum was rookie reporter for the Post Herald and covered the Sun Belt Conference Basketball Tournament in Jacksonville, Fl. Ten minutes before UABs tip off against favored South Alabama in the second round, I was speaking with Finebaum as he sat at the media table. He asked me if I thought that UAB was ready to play. I said "They're ready!" He was quite confident that UAB was fixing to get drubbed by South Alabama and told me that South was going to win by 20. I said, "We'll see about that". UAB went on to drub USA by 27 points. Finebaum was "so wrong". Finebaum doesn't even have a clue. He is just another one of those local belittlers who takes pleasure in humiliating UAB Fans. One of these days Finebaum will be sitting in a sky box gazing with awe at a standing room only sold out house for UABs inaugural football game at UAB Stadium. I can't wait to see the stupid look on Finebaums face.
10-02-2015 05:22 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(10-02-2015 05:22 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Back in 1981 Finebaum was rookie reporter for the Post Herald and covered the Sun Belt Conference Basketball Tournament in Jacksonville, Fl. Ten minutes before UABs tip off against favored South Alabama in the second round, I was speaking with Finebaum as he sat at the media table. He asked me if I thought that UAB was ready to play. I said "They're ready!" He was quite confident that UAB was fixing to get drubbed by South Alabama and told me that South was going to win by 20. I said, "We'll see about that". UAB went on to drub USA by 27 points. Finebaum was "so wrong". Finebaum doesn't even have a clue. He is just another one of those local belittlers who takes pleasure in humiliating UAB Fans. One of these days Finebaum will be sitting in a sky box gazing with awe at a standing room only sold out house for UABs inaugural football game at UAB Stadium. I can't wait to see the stupid look on Finebaums face.

Since USA had beaten UAB by 20 ten days earlier, it was a reasonable assumption.
10-02-2015 05:49 PM
TheGORILLA Offline
1st String

(10-02-2015 05:49 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 05:22 PM)TheGORILLA Wrote:  Back in 1981 Finebaum was rookie reporter for the Post Herald and covered the Sun Belt Conference Basketball Tournament in Jacksonville, Fl. Ten minutes before UABs tip off against favored South Alabama in the second round, I was speaking with Finebaum as he sat at the media table. He asked me if I thought that UAB was ready to play. I said "They're ready!" He was quite confident that UAB was fixing to get drubbed by South Alabama and told me that South was going to win by 20. I said, "We'll see about that". UAB went on to drub USA by 27 points. Finebaum was "so wrong". Finebaum doesn't even have a clue. He is just another one of those local belittlers who takes pleasure in humiliating UAB Fans. One of these days Finebaum will be sitting in a sky box gazing with awe at a standing room only sold out house for UABs inaugural football game at UAB Stadium. I can't wait to see the stupid look on Finebaums face.

Since USA had beaten UAB by 20 ten days earlier, it was a reasonable assumption.
Yep! I remember that, too. I also remember that next day, the finals of the Sun Belt Tournament against VCU a one point loss in overtime that, somehow, propelled UAB into their first NCAA Tournament and eventual Final Sixteen.
10-02-2015 06:24 PM
Advertisement

DM Blazer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: The Blazers
I never leave home without one.Just like my american express card.
10-02-2015 06:39 PM
price4UAB Offline
Bench Warmer

Re: RE: #FREEUAB flag in the background of Finebaum show
(10-02-2015 06:39 PM)DMBLAZER Wrote:  
I never leave home without one.Just like my american express card.

Yep. I'm in South Alabama on business. Found out I'm going to have some downtime tomorrow evening. Probably take the drive to Troy to see them play USA, with UAB shirt on of course
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 10:00 PM by price4UAB.)
10-02-2015 10:00 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

Finebalm knows next to nothing about sports. He couldn't coach team of 10 year old kids at either basketball or football. He was such a dweeb in high school that never got close to an athletic field except with a notebook and pencil in hand.

He a fairly good interviewer, but his forte is controversy. In Birmingham, he put down UAB because the Alabama TV alumni who made up much of his listening audience loved it. He made a lot of money on the backs of "special" callers whose only accomplishments in life was getting on the air on a regular basis and making idiots out of themselves. They had special numbers to call so they could get in without waiting. I am not at all sure that some of them weren't in his employ, but that's because it is hard to believe that anyone would want to make a complete fool of him/herself just for the notoriety. Now when they call into his ESPN show they represent Alabama in the worst possible manner. Everyone has a good laugh at the Alabama bumpkins.

Some would say he spoke his mind, but he really didn't believe half of what he said on the air. He simply always took the most controversial approach to every issue. He developed the reputation of being able get to coaches fired, but that too was a sham. He did have a talent of keeping a wet finger in the air to determine when the fans and athletic administrators were growing very weary of a coach. Then he would jump in front of the band and pretend he had been leading it all along.

He is a poor excuse for a human being and I am glad he no longer lives in Birmingham and that his radio show only extends a single hour into the driving home period.
(This post was last modified: 10-02-2015 11:09 PM by CajunBlazer.)
10-02-2015 11:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.