What do you think?
09-28-2015 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
RE: What do you think?
(09-28-2015 07:33 PM)75Monarch Wrote:  http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/odu-foot...1443400476

I understand bobby's sentiments about the booing. I do.

But kids are getting free rides to college, not for their intelligence but because they can play a children's game.

If the worst they ever have to deal with in life is someone booing because they paid 40-50 dollars to watch a 49-0 blowout, they'll have had a pretty amazing life.

Theyll live, they are tough, use it as motivation to get better and prove the "booers" wrong.
09-28-2015 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

I Root For: ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(09-28-2015 07:33 PM)75Monarch Wrote:  http://hamptonroads.com/2015/09/odu-foot...1443400476

Booing the kids is completely unacceptable.

If Harry was referring to this board; his use of the term "called out" is unfortunate, because that implies that there were accusations that the named players had somehow quit or didn't try their best. I haven't seen that sentiment verbalized here; directly or implied.

If anything (with a couple of exceptions; ie allegations of a conspiracy with Bentley's dad), the overall board response has has been directed toward the coaches and their personnel and play calling decisions.

As for Wilder, let's just say I am surprised at his somewhat vague assumption of responsibility, but allowing the entire team to take responsibility as well.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2015 08:22 PM by ODUalum78.)
09-28-2015 07:59 PM
EverRespect Online
Free Kaplony

Wilder put everyone on the team in an impossible situation. Our skill players were terrible, but I have no problem putting the blame on Wilder if that is what he wants. Yeah, SB was never going to have a good game with no time and no open receivers. Even if he was accurate and making better decisions, it wasn't going to happen with that game plan and play calling. Lawry will not rush for 100 yards again when the only play is the inside hand off from the shotgun with no OL push against 8 in the box and there are no plays to get him the ball in the open field. It sucks to see our guys not execute a poor plan.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
09-28-2015 08:18 PM
bigblue78 Offline
Special Teams

(09-28-2015 07:59 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

If Harry was referring to this board; his use of the term "called out" is unfortunate, because that implies that there were accusations that the named players had somehow quit or didn't try their best. I haven't seen that sentiment verbalized here; directly or implied.

If anything (with a couple of exceptions; ie allegations of a conspiracy with Bentley's dad), the overall board response has has been directed toward the coaches and their personnel and play calling decisions.

As for Wilder, let's just say I am surprised at his somewhat vague assumption of responsibility, but allowing the entire team to take responsibility as well.

07-coffee3
I In my section a lot (not all) of the vocal dissent was directed at the decision to attempt the FG when ODU needed TDs (and then the resultant miss). Then ODU killed the clock to end the half and it escalated.

There was plenty of second guessing play calls/execution...but that dissent wasn't directed toward the playing field.
09-29-2015 07:34 AM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

(09-29-2015 07:34 AM)bigblue78 Wrote:  

07-coffee3
I In my section a lot (not all) of the vocal dissent was directed at the decision to attempt the FG when ODU needed TDs (and then the resultant miss). Then ODU killed the clock to end the half and it escalated.

There was plenty of second guessing play calls/execution...but that dissent wasn't directed toward the playing field.

It was windy, raining, and the team was playing stupidly....how can you expect the fans to not be upset?
09-29-2015 07:55 AM
Advertisement

ODUcatcher79 Offline
Bench Warmer

I was at the game, the whole game. Yes there was some booing at the end of the half by some fans. It was a small minority of fans, but it probably sounded louder because the rest of the fans were sitting in stunned silence. I was embarrassed that the team played so poorly for the first half and embarrassed that fans were booing the team. This is a young program that has exceeded almost everyone's expectations to this point. I THINK THEY NEED A LITTLE SLACK WHILE THEY FIGURE THINGS OUT.
09-29-2015 08:45 AM
MonarchsWon Offline
2nd String

Someone once said R - E - L - A - X.
We've got 5 years of football history.
We've basically been in a "building" phase the entire time - either building an FCS program or switching gears and building an FBS program.
We're still building. We got crushed - it happens. See OREGON this weekend. See BYU this weekend.
It happens. We are going the right direction in every measurable way. Things are great. Enjoy the ride.
R E L A X
09-29-2015 09:00 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-28-2015 07:58 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  

I understand bobby's sentiments about the booing. I do.

But kids are getting free rides to college, not for their intelligence but because they can play a children's game.

If the worst they ever have to deal with in life is someone booing because they paid 40-50 dollars to watch a 49-0 blowout, they'll have had a pretty amazing life.

Theyll live, they are tough, use it as motivation to get better and prove the "booers" wrong.

I think you miss read Bobbys feelings on the issue.
09-29-2015 09:25 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

07-coffee3

Didn't you just finish railing about how SB can't play and should be benched?

http://csnbbs.com/thread-750659-page-7.html

"Bentley cannot or will not bot scramble.
He otherwise shows little movement in the pocket.
He seems to show little "feel" for 2nd or third receiver choices, instead throwing to his primary or just dumping off.
Shuler's vertical running is awkward and plodding at best.
He is slow to release. He sometimes has a behind-the-back-over-the-head and down motion that looks bizarre and is even slower.
He has no touch right now.
His longer passes float, and his shorter passes are rockets that the receivers have a difficult time with."

That seems like "calling out" to me.
09-29-2015 09:30 AM
ODU90 Offline
Bench Warmer

Unfortunately as fans, a minority of the group can leave an impression that impacts the majority and exceeds their numbers whether that be through behavior at the game or interaction with opposing fans. In the case of booing, i can't imagine that leaves a positive impression on recruits who may be attending a game and considering ODU as an option. Even if they are not at the game in person it comes through loud and clear over the television.
09-29-2015 09:48 AM
Advertisement

benny_t Offline
All American

(09-29-2015 09:30 AM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  

07-coffee3

He seems to show little "feel" for 2nd or third receiver choices, instead throwing to his primary or just dumping off.
He is slow to release. He sometimes has a behind-the-back-over-the-head and down motion that looks bizarre and is even slower.
His longer passes float, and his shorter passes are rockets that the receivers have a difficult time with."

My thoughts exactly. He's been one of the most vocal calling out SB.
09-29-2015 09:51 AM
ODUalum78 Offline

07-coffee3

Then we have a different view of calling out. I presented what I believe is an honest assessment of our situation. I didn't make any statements that could be construed as character specific of the person.

To me "calling out: would be such things as "he sucks" "he quit" he isn't working hard enough" "his attitude is bad". That is calling someone out, because it is making a value judgement of the person's character and calling them specifically on it.

If I say as "he is throwing floaters", or "he is slow", then I am making an empirical assessment of real observed data . That is what we do on sports boards. It is what it is.

Yes, we have a different view of what "calling out" means.
04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 10:07 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-29-2015 09:58 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

It's noteworthy because it's probably (and some of you guys who've been to most/all the games can correct me if I'm incorrect) the first time ODU fans have booed a performance. It's not like Virginia, where this is the football mascot:

[Image: COvPPiVU8AA1d3q.jpg_large.0.0.jpg]
09-29-2015 10:03 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Fans need to also understand the situation. UVA and VT are established football programs. Yes, there are going to be up and down times, but there is really no excuse for either of them having a poor program. (both are pretty bad right now)

ODU is in its 2nd year of FBS football with its second year of FBS recruits. Its hard enough to grow an FCS caliber program; which we did largely on the back of Taylor Heinicke. But, now you lose him and your best players are either freshman or sophmores. It's going to take time.

Obviously no one saw 49-0 coming. But, even good programs have terrible games.
09-29-2015 10:07 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

(09-29-2015 09:58 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Then we have a different view of calling out. I presented what I believe is an honest assessment of our situation. I didn't make any statements that could be construed as character specific of the person.

To me "calling out: would be such things as "he sucks" "he quit" he isn't working hard enough" "his attitude is bad". That is calling someone out, because it is making a value judgement of the person's character and calling them specifically on it.

If I say as "he is throwing floaters", or "he is slow", then I am making an empirical assessment of real observed data . That is what we do on sports boards. It is what it is.

04-cheers

Apparently...
09-29-2015 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Monarchist13 Offline

07-coffee3

It reads a lot like a scouting report, sans strengths.
09-29-2015 11:31 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

Here's what I think...

The coaches are going to use anything they can find as motivation, whether it is fair or not. They will interpret boos, no matter who they were intended towards, to help their cause.

I guarantee at least one coach will utilize comments from this board as ammunition to help rally th e troops. One of the starters is already tweeting, indicating that many of you had a lot to say, regarding the 49-0 loss in terms of bandwagon fans.

It is unhealthy.

This is a message board, fans or anyone for that matter can make observations as long as it's not personal. Try and use your best judgement knowing that everyone reads what you type, including staff, players and families.
09-29-2015 11:37 AM
ODUalum78 Offline

(09-29-2015 10:40 AM)MonarchCAM Wrote:  
(09-29-2015 09:58 AM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

07-coffee3

04-cheers

Apparently...
For two years a large number here have posted negative assessments about our offensive line (slow, inexperienced, lacking specific skills, etc), even naming names. Since 2009 many, if not most, have railed against our defense, sometimes naming, but names or not everyone knew who they were.

Now there is substantial scrutiny on our QB, most all of it just observational, and some are up in arms about it.

I don't get it 01-wingedeagle
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015 11:52 AM by ODUalum78.)
09-29-2015 11:49 AM
MonarchCAM Offline
Special Teams

Say what you want, it's your opinion. I didn't even say it was all unwarranted.

All I said was don't call out Harry for saying "message board fans were calling out players"... when you were one of the leaders on the bench SB thread.
09-29-2015 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.