Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
RE: Discord in Chapel Hill?
03-lmfao

Just watched the opening of the game against Illinois on ESPN3 ... holy crap. There looked to be 15,000 very spread apart people there.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2015 07:38 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
09-22-2015 07:36 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
ACC football is on the way up.
09-22-2015 08:49 PM
XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Crowds won't come back until we stop playing Mickey Mouse football. Fedora must go.
09-22-2015 08:53 PM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Hasn't UNC always played garbage football? You haven't been good since...ever.
09-22-2015 08:55 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
How is it the ACC has 4 teams in one state (which is horrible for any conference) and they are all out drawn by ECU?

That says everything about the ACC.

And I'll say it again, UNC has so much going for it, it has to actively work to be so bad in football. Them and UVA should be the Stanford of the east coast in football......
09-22-2015 09:09 PM
Advertisement

Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(09-22-2015 09:09 PM)nole Wrote:  How is it the ACC has 4 teams in one state (which is horrible for any conference) and they are all out drawn by ECU?

That says everything about the ACC.

And I'll say it again, UNC has so much going for it, it has to actively work to be so bad in football. Them and UVA should be the Stanford of the east coast in football......

Big difference is Stanford wants to be successful in football.
09-22-2015 09:17 PM
Kaplony Offline

http://wncn.com/2015/09/21/attendance-wo...ora-heels/

Quote:Anyone who watched North Carolina dominate Illinois on ESPN2 Saturday probably noticed one thing: a stunningly small crowd at Kenan Stadium.

The Tar Heels posted a 48-14 drubbing of the Illini, the largest margin of victory over a team from a top five conference since 2010. Carolina beat Virginia 44-10 Oct. 16, 2010.`

The school announced an attendance of 41,000 Saturday but Kenan Stadium’s aluminum bleachers dominated wide shots on television.

[Image: wK0QXzP.jpg]

[Image: CDhrJdo.jpg]
09-22-2015 09:52 PM
jaminandjachin Offline
All American

I Root For: UNC
You guys don't see the dynamic that exists in the triangle area of NC where UNC, Duke, and NC State are all within a half an hour of each other. 3 power 5 teams within a 30 minute radius is ridiculous and I don't think exists anywhere else in the country. Two Saturdays ago all 3 teams had home football games at EXACTLY the same time. How stupid is that? UNC seats 63k for football. NC State is about 57k. Duke is about 33k. So you're talking about almost 150k capacity for football in the same area of the state.

Second, UNC's parking situation is atrocious. The stadium is in the middle of campus and shares a parking lot with the hospital. However, there have been times in the past where fans showed up. Right now empty seats have a lot to do with the product on the field. I firmly believe if this team starts winning again, then the attendance will be better.
09-22-2015 09:54 PM
Kaplony Offline

(09-22-2015 09:54 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  You guys don't see the dynamic that exists in the triangle area of NC where UNC, Duke, and NC State are all within a half an hour of each other. 3 power 5 teams within a 30 minute radius is ridiculous and I don't think exists anywhere else in the country. Two Saturdays ago all 3 teams had home football games at EXACTLY the same time. How stupid is that? UNC seats 63k for football. NC State is about 57k. Duke is about 33k. So you're talking about almost 150k capacity for football in the same area of the state.

Second, UNC's parking situation is atrocious. The stadium is in the middle of campus and shares a parking lot with the hospital. However, there have been times in the past where fans showed up. Right now empty seats have a lot to do with the product on the field. I firmly believe if this team starts winning again, then the attendance will be better.

Yet Clemson and South Carolina don't have much of a problem drawing more fans in a state with around half the population of North Carolina.
09-22-2015 10:15 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Attendance is a function of whether fans think (1) the home team has a shot a winning, and (2) the home team has a chance to have a truly meaningful season.

IMO, UNC fans largely quit on Fedora after the 2 drubbings by ECU. Will this win over Illinois - the first OOC P5 win for the Heels in what seems like forever - bring fans back? We'll see how many show up for this week's easy win over Delaware...
09-23-2015 04:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
(09-22-2015 09:52 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  http://wncn.com/2015/09/21/attendance-wo...ora-heels/

Quote:Anyone who watched North Carolina dominate Illinois on ESPN2 Saturday probably noticed one thing: a stunningly small crowd at Kenan Stadium.

The Tar Heels posted a 48-14 drubbing of the Illini, the largest margin of victory over a team from a top five conference since 2010. Carolina beat Virginia 44-10 Oct. 16, 2010.`

The school announced an attendance of 41,000 Saturday but Kenan Stadium’s aluminum bleachers dominated wide shots on television.

[Image: wK0QXzP.jpg]

[Image: CDhrJdo.jpg]

Guessin' They still wouldn't allow Fans in the Cheap Seats to "Come on Down "
09-23-2015 05:26 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(09-23-2015 04:46 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Attendance is a function of whether fans think (1) the home team has a shot a winning, and (2) the home team has a chance to have a truly meaningful season.

IMO, UNC fans largely quit on Fedora after the 2 drubbings by ECU. Will this win over Illinois - the first OOC P5 win for the Heels in what seems like forever - bring fans back? We'll see how many show up for this week's easy win over Delaware...

Doesn't explain Duke's horrible attendance Sat against a RANKED team.
09-23-2015 06:10 AM
TopperCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UofL & WKU
(09-22-2015 09:54 PM)jaminandjachin Wrote:  You guys don't see the dynamic that exists in the triangle area of NC where UNC, Duke, and NC State are all within a half an hour of each other. 3 power 5 teams within a 30 minute radius is ridiculous and I don't think exists anywhere else in the country. Two Saturdays ago all 3 teams had home football games at EXACTLY the same time. How stupid is that? UNC seats 63k for football. NC State is about 57k. Duke is about 33k. So you're talking about almost 150k capacity for football in the same area of the state.

There's approx 10,000,000 people in North Carolina.

EDIT: That includes over 2,000,000 alone in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area.

ECU isn't very far from there and they don't seem to have a problem getting people to games. I guess I don't understand the dynamic of the area. The Louisville-Lexington corridor is as basketball crazy as anywhere in North Carolina, but we care a lot, if not more about football. I'm really surprised there isn't more of a football following in NC.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 07:20 AM by TopperCard.)
09-23-2015 07:13 AM
Lucy Offline
All American

I Root For: Wake Forest

DonatorsCrappies
(09-22-2015 09:09 PM)nole Wrote:  How is it the ACC has 4 teams in one state (which is horrible for any conference) and they are all out drawn by ECU?

There isn't much else to do in Greenville, NC & all points east in the fall except go to ECU football games.
09-23-2015 08:00 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(09-23-2015 08:00 AM)Lucy Wrote:  

There isn't much else to do in Greenville, NC & all points east in the fall except go to ECU football games.

So Duke area has lots to do during football but not basketball season?

Bottom line is.....if the ACC is P5 and wants to stay there.....it needs football fans. It doesn't have them and revenue disparity is starting to reflect.

ACC is just the old Big East and it is a problem.
09-23-2015 08:04 AM
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Maybe it's just Me but I think that Uniforms can play a key role in getting new and more fans on board. I like the UNC light blue but it just doesn't "POP" on the football field. The Navy Blue color is a much stronger look as well as say a Black and Blue jersey would. I know it's tradition but some change could be just enough to fire up the fanbase. No You don't have to pull a Maryland type uniform to do it.

[Image: 20130413_0010_unc_football_2013_spring_game-640x426.jpg]
09-23-2015 08:16 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals

04-bs

Sorry, but UNC's parking situation has ALWAYS been atrocious, but they drew better crowds when John Bunting was the head coach.

You might be able to sell me on the idea of it being a noon kickoff, because typically noon kickoffs don't appear to draw the same as evening games. Duke had the same issue on Saturday, too.

(Although it didn't keep the Northwestern fans away -- I was impressed at how they represented)

Anyways, back to topic:

This, to me, has a lot to do with the brand of football that Larry Fedora has brought to Carolina, combined with the continued fallout from the sanctions.

Maybe $50-60 for a ticket is too much in the Triangle area when so many other options are available to us now.

But, no -- the parking situation at Carolina has nothing to do with the lack of turn out.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 08:40 AM by ecuacc4ever.)
09-23-2015 08:40 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
I think North Carolina and Duke football are much like Kentucky football. Wake and Virginia are much like Vanderbilt football, also. 07-coffee3
09-23-2015 08:42 AM
ecuacc4ever Offline
Resident Geek Musician

I Root For: ACC
SkunkworksDonatorsPWNER of Scout/Rivals
(09-23-2015 08:04 AM)nole Wrote:  
(09-23-2015 08:00 AM)Lucy Wrote:  

So Duke area has lots to do during football but not basketball season?

Actually, nole, the Triangle has lot of 'outdoor social options' during September and October so the Triangle schools are competing against themselves AND the growing social life.

Raleigh Beer Week is this week -- 04-drinky

I know you want to troll, but, since I live here, I can speak to that.

Greenville -- there is NOTHING to do in G-Vegas BUT go to a football game. It is what it is.
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2015 08:44 AM by ecuacc4ever.)
09-23-2015 08:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.