Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Owls flying under the radar...
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn, OhioSt
Owls flying under the radar...
Has any team look any better the first couple weeks than Temple?

I'll admit I had them as a sleeper but really expected two losses to start the year. Reminder... they have a game against Notre Dame (who knows how they will be with new QB, unfortunately). UCF and Memphis are home games... at ECU.... they do have a chance of winning out (with the big "if" vs Notre Dame).

What is the ceiling for Temple this year?

If they go undefeated and give Notre Dame their only loss (meaning ND has beaten Clemson and Georgia Tech) , do they sniff a playoff berth?

I still don't think so (I think PAC12 will not have a 1 loss team and I think Big 10 or SEC could get extra spot this year with ACC and Pac12 sitting out).... interesting discussion though.
09-14-2015 07:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Owls flying under the radar...
(09-14-2015 07:54 AM)jskwrite Wrote:  What is the ceiling for Temple this year?

Go undefeated with that schedule, and the holidays are determined by how Notre Dame and Penn State both finish up. Those are the two games people will hold them to when comparing them to P5 contenders. It won't matter how strong other AAC schools are.

It sucks that they may be this good in a season when they have both UMass and Charlotte on the books. Those do nothing for them in a season like this, even if it does give us A10 fans the warm and fuzzies.
09-14-2015 08:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
WHO?
[Image: owl_in_a_tree.jpg]
09-14-2015 08:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2015 08:58 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  WHO?

I met one of the referees from Liberty/WV game at the airport on Sunday morning about 5:30 at the airport in Pittsburgh. Friendly guy. Felt bad for him as a Big 12 ref that he has to fly commercial out of Pittsburgh after a late afternoon game in Morgantown the day before. Get an airport already, WVU!
09-14-2015 10:09 AM
ManleyPointer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: BYU
I overlooked them after the Penn State win. Easy to see how they'd have a chip on their shoulder about that game: in-state opponent, G5 vs P5 & first game of the year.

Cinti had none of that. Just a normal conference game against a quality opponent. TBH the Bearcats are the team on BYU's schedule that worries me most. Even in the loss, Kiel had 400+ yards passing. But Temple took care of business, I'm impressed.

Good chance to make some noise with the NBC Halloween game against Notre Dame.
09-14-2015 11:54 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-14-2015 10:09 AM)jskwrite Wrote:  
I met one of the referees from Liberty/WV game at the airport on Sunday morning about 5:30 at the airport in Pittsburgh. Friendly guy. Felt bad for him as a Big 12 ref that he has to fly commercial out of Pittsburgh after a late afternoon game in Morgantown the day before. Get an airport already, WVU!
Where would you suggest it be built?

[Image: Morgantown.jpg]

Don't forget, this is mountainous terrain you're looking down upon.
09-14-2015 12:05 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
I grew up near there, Bit. I agree with you on the terrain, for sure. Building runways there would be a tough chore.

From the photo, the best bet may be an aircraft carrier in the straight stretch of the river. :)
09-14-2015 12:24 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-14-2015 12:24 PM)TerryD Wrote:  I grew up near there, Bit. I agree with you on the terrain, for sure. Building runways there would be a tough chore.

From the photo, the best bet may be an aircraft carrier in the straight stretch of the river. :)
The best bet would be to forget about runways and go with a VTOL solution that requires no runway. Aeroscraft's flying hotel would be perfect for the job.

[Image: 14603.jpg]
09-14-2015 03:03 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-14-2015 11:54 AM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  I overlooked them after the Penn State win. Easy to see how they'd have a chip on their shoulder about that game: in-state opponent, G5 vs P5 & first game of the year.

Cinti had none of that. Just a normal conference game against a quality opponent. TBH the Bearcats are the team on BYU's schedule that worries me most. Even in the loss, Kiel had 400+ yards passing. But Temple took care of business, I'm impressed.

600 yards of O, 34 1st downs. 5 turnovers (-4) will kill you every time though. Looking forward to the BYU game. (don't punch us in the balls ok)
09-14-2015 03:13 PM
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I think Temple actually has a chance to beat ND. I don't see ND beating Clemson, USC, or Georgia Tech so the win won't likely be over a ranked team.
09-14-2015 03:26 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-14-2015 03:26 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I think Temple actually has a chance to beat ND. I don't see ND beating Clemson, USC, or Georgia Tech so the win won't likely be over a ranked team.
It wouldn't surprise me much. Temple is playing very well this season.
09-14-2015 04:15 PM
templefan1 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(09-14-2015 03:13 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  
(09-14-2015 11:54 AM)ManleyPointer Wrote:  I overlooked them after the Penn State win. Easy to see how they'd have a chip on their shoulder about that game: in-state opponent, G5 vs P5 & first game of the year.

600 yards of O, 34 1st downs. 5 turnovers (-4) will kill you every time though. Looking forward to the BYU game. (don't punch us in the balls ok)
UC got 250 in the 4th qtr when it was already 31-12 Temple...Temple went conservative and it made the game very close in the end.
09-14-2015 08:04 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(09-14-2015 08:04 PM)templefan1 Wrote:  

UC got 250 in the 4th qtr when it was already 31-12 Temple...Temple went conservative and it made the game very close in the end.

Long season kid, folks going to stack the box. Your O has to get much better. Edit, when are you not conservative?
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 09:57 PM by SuperFlyBCat.)
09-14-2015 09:54 PM
Advertisement

nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-14-2015 08:56 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

Go undefeated with that schedule, and the holidays are determined by how Notre Dame and Penn State both finish up. Those are the two games people will hold them to when comparing them to P5 contenders. It won't matter how strong other AAC schools are.

It sucks that they may be this good in a season when they have both UMass and Charlotte on the books. Those do nothing for them in a season like this, even if it does give us A10 fans the warm and fuzzies.

Imagine if this was the 80's. Beating PSU AND ND in the same season would pretty much cash a check to any bowl that you want.

The same could be said for Nebraska and Miami (late 80's for Miami), and both of those teams are now fighting to be above average.

How times have changed!
09-14-2015 10:06 PM
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys
(09-14-2015 10:06 PM)nzmorange Wrote:  
(09-14-2015 08:56 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

Imagine if this was the 80's. Beating PSU AND ND in the same season would pretty much cash a check to any bowl that you want.

The same could be said for Nebraska and Miami (late 80's for Miami), and both of those teams are now fighting to be above average.

How times have changed!
So true. Neither Miami or Nebraska has been a factor in over a decade at this point.
09-14-2015 10:13 PM
stxrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
(09-14-2015 08:04 PM)templefan1 Wrote:  

1) That still means Temple gave up 350 yards in under 3 quarters...

2) At no point after the first quarter was Temple ever even within 100 yards of UC from scrimmage. This wasn't a garbage time stat packing situation. Temple's experienced D forced an untested Kiel into some bad turnovers, but the UC O still shredded Temple no matter how you look at it. Temple had 13 first downs, UC had 34...
09-14-2015 11:08 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
So far the undefeated teams in the AAC that Temple have to get through including the Championship game are Navy, U. Conn., Memphis, Houston and SMU.
09-15-2015 05:22 AM
Advertisement

jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2015 12:05 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(09-14-2015 10:09 AM)jskwrite Wrote:  
Where would you suggest it be built?

[Image: Morgantown.jpg]

Don't forget, this is mountainous terrain you're looking down upon.

Mostly just joking here... WV is very scenic.. actually was down there a bit driving out to Fallingwater trying to avoid some congestion. UConn gets the "it's not near an airport" treatment as well, although the football stadium is near the airport because it's not on campus... heck.. it's in an old airport!
09-15-2015 07:26 AM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(09-15-2015 05:22 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  So far the undefeated teams in the AAC that Temple have to get through including the Championship game are Navy, U. Conn., Memphis, Houston and SMU.

Houston has an easier "middle" of the schedule from here on out than Memphis. Memphis could potentially lose any of their next four (Cincy, at UCF and 2 OOC at Bowling Green, at Mississippi - so not really affecting AAC standings, just the undefeated part). Houston's challenge comes at the end of their schedule but mostly at home (Cincy, Memphis, at UConn (brrr - trap game) and Navy). Memphis also has the game at Temple and Houston doesn't play Temple. Navy is interesting because they have one fewer game than all the other AAC teams - they play Army the week after the AAC championship game. Navy has Air Force, Notre Dame and at Memphis/at Houston left... schedule really doesn't favor them having to beat the other two on the road. SMU has a loss (Baylor) and other than a couple weak teams in their division, SMU is going to have trouble against the other three schools.

In the East - UConn... not unless they get a time machine and take the team from 2 years from now. UConn has at Missouri, Navy, at BYU, at UCF (wrong school logo trophy game!) ... at Cincy coming up too where they never win and they play at Temple - Temple has dominated UConn in recent years even when UConn was the better team.

I think UMass will challenge Temple a bit this weekend - just because UMass is a little better than they've been and it's a home game although Temple knows all about playing in NFL stadiums so it won't be a huge adjustment being on a the road in a giant half-empty stadium. Temple's biggest concerns should be Notre Dame, the Thursday night October game at East Carolina and Memphis in the final weeks of the season.
09-15-2015 07:39 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
They will lose at ECU on a cold night in October.......
09-15-2015 08:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.