Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Wins by FBS teams over HBU's should not count towards Bowl eligibility
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
Wins by FBS teams over HBU's should not count towards Bowl eligibility
I said it.

Go ahead, call me a racist. For certain, that's what leaders at HBU's would do if this ever actually came under official consideration. The race card is the only card they have to play.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/scor...e/2/week/1
http://espn.go.com/college-football/scor...e/2/week/2

You look at the scores and tell me that FBS teams who embarrass HBU teams like that deserve to have those wins count for Bowl eligibility.

I already know someone is going to come back with "but ... FCS team x, y, z, also lost to an FBS team by 50 points!!"

Fine. I'm very much prepared to say that no FCS wins should count, at all. I'll go there, if I have to, to prevent this kind of embarrassment.

It's an embarrassment to major college football.
09-13-2015 10:32 AM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

Old Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: Wins by FBS teams over HBU's should not count towards Bowl eligibility
(09-13-2015 10:32 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  I said it.

Go ahead, call me a racist. For certain, that's what leaders at HBU's would do if this ever actually came under official consideration. The race card is the only card they have to play.

You look at the scores and tell me that FBS teams who embarrass HBU teams like that deserve to have those wins count for Bowl eligibility.

I already know someone is going to come back with "but ... FCS team x, y, z, also lost to an FBS team by 50 points!!"

Fine. I'm very much prepared to say that no FCS wins should count, at all. I'll go there, if I have to, to prevent this kind of embarrassment.

If the HBCU offers the required number of scholarships ie 56, then of course they should count. These are the rules set forth by the NCAA. We value our games with schools like Hampton and Norfolk State. A) They help to reduce the cost of travel. B) They're good for the city. And C) we have some history with those schools.
09-13-2015 10:42 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Change it to "don't count FCS wins" and you might have something.
09-13-2015 10:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

... and if you single out HBCU's only among FCS schools, they would be correct to play that card because your stance is racist.

The non-racist stance is what you later suggest: No FCS games should count towards FBS bowl eligibility. And I agree with that.
09-13-2015 10:47 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-13-2015 10:47 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

... and if you single out HBCU's only among FCS schools, they would be correct to play that card because your stance is racist.

The non-racist stance is what you later suggest: No FCS games should count towards FBS bowl eligibility. And I agree with that.

When you look at the results, its not racist.

They've got FCS for bowl eligibility so they can get cheap wins. I don't have much problem with Old Dominion playing an FCS school. When Alabama and Florida do it, its ridiculous. USC, UCLA and Notre Dame have never played an FCS school.
09-13-2015 10:49 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
On the surface, and in some ways, the matches can be of significant value. Intrastate games or close interstate ones sell themselves among the locals. For some, the winners are the states themselves, or the state's education system. Some are obviously going to have some history or legacy to them: it should shock nobody if northeastern FBS schools start piling on CAA or Patriot teams.

But some of these schools, ok, a lot of these schools are taking advantage of a cheap win, emphasis on cheap. I would love to see the books open to what FBS schools are paying the HBCU's or some of these other places. Knowing some of them are nearing irrelevancy (if not already there) or closure, I'd love to see what these "big spenders" are graciously bestowing them. It certainly isn't for recruiting or institutional likeness. I remember reading someone on the Rutgers board defending NSU because they wanted to be seen along the Virginia coast...did I miss Rutgers actually packing up and playing down in Norfolk? Give me a break.
09-13-2015 11:46 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(09-13-2015 11:46 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  On the surface, and in some ways, the matches can be of significant value. Intrastate games or close interstate ones sell themselves among the locals. For some, the winners are the states themselves, or the state's education system. Some are obviously going to have some history or legacy to them: it should shock nobody if northeastern FBS schools start piling on CAA or Patriot teams.

But some of these schools, ok, a lot of these schools are taking advantage of a cheap win, emphasis on cheap. I would love to see the books open to what FBS schools are paying the HBCU's or some of these other places. Knowing some of them are nearing irrelevancy (if not already there) or closure, I'd love to see what these "big spenders" are graciously bestowing them. It certainly isn't for recruiting or institutional likeness. I remember reading someone on the Rutgers board defending NSU because they wanted to be seen along the Virginia coast...did I miss Rutgers actually packing up and playing down in Norfolk? Give me a break.

They pay FCS schools 350-500k. They have to pay FBS schools 800-1200k.
09-13-2015 12:21 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(09-13-2015 10:44 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Change it to "don't count FCS wins" and you might have something.

Very strongly agree.
09-13-2015 12:52 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(09-13-2015 12:52 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 10:44 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Change it to "don't count FCS wins" and you might have something.

Very strongly agree.

Also agree. FCS games should count as exhibitions. IMO, for each season, FBS teams should be allowed 12 games vs. FBS opponents and 1 exhibition vs. an FCS team.
09-13-2015 12:59 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(09-13-2015 10:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  

They've got FCS for bowl eligibility so they can get cheap wins. I don't have much problem with Old Dominion playing an FCS school. When Alabama and Florida do it, its ridiculous. USC, UCLA and Notre Dame have never played an FCS school.

I'm not pushing any moral high ground here but in what way is it not racist? This is like saying "Schools that do not recruit more men of African descent than Caucasian players should not be allowed to play in division 1" You can chalk it up with statistics but it becomes racism when you single out a group of people for the good or bad.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:04 PM by TrojanCampaign.)
09-13-2015 01:02 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
When an FBS team beats an FCS team, it should count as a .5 win in the W column. However, if they lose, it should count as 2 losses in the L column.

That would discourage more teams from scheduling FCS schools.

Problem solved. You're welcome. 07-coffee3
09-13-2015 01:05 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(09-13-2015 10:49 AM)bullet Wrote:  

They've got FCS for bowl eligibility so they can get cheap wins.

It's racist to single out a subset of FCS, the HBCUs, which are identifiably African-American in their culture, and say wins against those schools shouldn't count but wins against other FCS schools should.
09-13-2015 01:28 PM
LUSportsFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lamar Cardinals
(09-13-2015 01:05 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  When an FBS team beats an FCS team, it should count as a .5 win in the W column. However, if they lose, it should count as 2 losses in the L column.

Why stop with FCS? While we are at it, maybe we need to look at P5 vs G5 match ups as well. There were a lot of lopsided scores involving P5 vs G5 this week.

Georgia Tech 65 Tulane 10
Texas Tech 69 UTEP 20
Wisconsin 58 Miami (OH) 0
Nebraska 48 South Alabama 9
USC 59 Idaho 9
UCLA 37 UNLV 3
Ole Miss 73 Fresno State 21
Texas A&M 56 Ball State 23

There were several more lopsided P5 / G5 results, but the above provide an example. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 02:04 PM by LUSportsFan.)
09-13-2015 01:59 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Not all HBCU's are FCS. Some are Division II or III.
09-13-2015 01:59 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(09-13-2015 01:05 PM)HuskyU Wrote:  When an FBS team beats an FCS team, it should count as a .5 win in the W column. However, if they lose, it should count as 2 losses in the L column.

You still could not do that as it would cause many issues. When you play a team you either win the game or lose it period, it's wrong to classify others as lesser.

It's wrong to penalize schools who do it for other reasons. Example, if someone like Middle Tennessee wanted to have an extra home game with an in state team. Of course they would not be able to get Vandy or UT to agree to agree to a home and home or a home and done most times.

They could work out a deal with Tenn St. Tenn State knows going in they may not win but it gives the fans a game they can travel to without playing someone like UT and LSU out of state and getting embarrassed.
09-13-2015 02:01 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

Tennessee State is part of the OVC.

Second, there are some years that Southern and Alabama State have been strong against FBS schools.

Third, teams in the MEAC have in recent years have almost pull off upset wins aginst FBS. Norfolk State almost did yesterday over Old Dominion.
09-13-2015 02:09 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-13-2015 01:59 PM)LUSportsFan Wrote:  

Why stop with FCS? While we are at it, maybe we need to look at P5 vs G5 match ups as well. There were a lot of lopsided scores involving P5 vs G5 this week.

Texas Tech 69 UTEP 20
USC 59 Idaho 9
UCLA 37 UNLV 3

There were several more lopsided P5 / G5 results, but the above provide an example. 04-cheers

Some of those FBS teams that lost big are usually beat P5 schools. UNLV played UCLA close until the second half.
09-13-2015 02:13 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

[Image: 7cVBo.gif]
09-13-2015 03:16 PM
LUSportsFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Lamar Cardinals
(09-13-2015 02:13 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(09-13-2015 01:59 PM)LUSportsFan Wrote:  

Texas Tech 69 UTEP 20
USC 59 Idaho 9
UCLA 37 UNLV 3

Some of those FBS teams that lost big are usually beat P5 schools. UNLV played UCLA close until the second half.

I agree. I was just playing the scenario out. It was an attempt to illustrate that all routs are not with FBS vs FCS. There are some that are as bad if not worse pitting FBS vs FBS. I'm basically saying that some folks should be careful of what they wish for. They might be next.

Just like there have been some competitive G5 vs P5 matchups this season along with the routs, there have been some competitive FCS vs FBS matchups along with the routs.

Examples:
Portland State vs Washington State and South Dakota State vs Kansas last week.
Jacksonville State losing a game they probably should have won to #6 Auburn in 2 Overtimes this week and Sam Houston State putting 45 on Texas Tech last week in a losing cause are other examples. Texas Tech won this week against Tulane 69 to 20, a far more lopsided score than the SHSU vs Tech game.
09-13-2015 03:22 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
If HBCUs were uniformally playing with half the scholarships and wins against them were counting while wins against similarly scholarshipped non-HBCUs weren't, then you'd have an argument. As it is, you're drawing a distinction between HBCUs and other full-scholarship programs, and the only thing that separates them is race. So yes, it's a racist idea. You probably didn't mean for it to BE that way, but saying "games against black schools shouldn't count" is pretty much on-the-screws racism.

As for the "FCS games shouldn't count at all" argument, I'm not sold. There's good reasons for many schools -- yes, even P5 schools -- to schedule FCS programs. Schools in the upper Midwest get a nearby opponent who often challenges them from the MVFC or Big Sky. Emerging programs get games that are winnable without being foregone conclusions. And it's good optics regionally to bring the FCS program 45 minutes away in for a payday.
09-13-2015 03:56 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.