UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Correction: UAB Athletic Campaign Committee member comments on UAB Football & B'ham
UABslant Offline

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
MyBB Correction: UAB Athletic Campaign Committee member comments on UAB Football & B'ham
Merrill Stewart is President of Stewart Perry Construction & a member of the UAB Athletic Campaign Committee. Charlie Perry, liaison member & UA grad, founded the company with Stewart back in the '80s and is now President of Perry Investment Company.
Stewart wrote a piece for AL.com on his view of the renaissance of Birmingham:
http://blog.al.com/comebacktown/2015/09/...cart_river

Quote:UAB Football. This is about much more than just football. The decision to reinstate the program showed Birmingham spirit and brought a myriad of folks together for a cause they felt worthy for the city. Many of these individuals had no connection with UAB football other than the desire to have it as part of Birmingham and for the experience of future students. Commitments of about $20 million were raised over just a few weeks, with pledges starting at $10. All are worthy.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:59 AM by UABslant.)
09-09-2015 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Business partner of Liaison Committee member comments on UAB Football & B'ham
These are interesting times. You're seeing long-time Bama supporters and business leaders who don't see eye-to-eye with the BOT's plans to marginalize UAB (and by extension, our community).
09-09-2015 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

RE: Business partner of Liaison Committee member comments on UAB Football & B'ham
I'm working on a rundown of the whole liaison committee... it's a weird assembly to say the least, but a few of these folks are serious about the future of B'ham and UAB, even without direct ties to the university.
09-09-2015 11:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UABslant Offline

Merrill Stewart is an Auburn alumnus.
09-09-2015 11:09 AM
B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(09-09-2015 11:09 AM)UABslant Wrote:  Merrill Stewart is an Auburn alumnus.

Hey Slant, I've noticed quite a few AU ties on the athlete's committee too (which is a good thing IMO).
09-09-2015 11:18 AM
Advertisement

Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
(09-09-2015 10:57 AM)FNblazer Wrote:  These are interesting times. You're seeing long-time Bama supporters and business leaders who don't see eye-to-eye with the BOT's plans to marginalize UAB (and by extension, our community).

I think much of this is because UAB fans were previously viewed as loose-cannon psychopaths in the minds of some Alabama fans. As this story has played out, I think many Alabama fans are recognizing the truth that so many UAB fans have been speaking of for so long. Now some are becoming conflicted particularly when their long-time loyalties may be coming into conflict with what is best for their home community, business interests, etc.
09-09-2015 11:24 AM
UABslant Offline

A community not supporting its most nationally visible sports team is bad for business.
09-09-2015 12:33 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Many Crimson Tide fans can see the perfidy of the BOT and have no agreement with the way it has treated UAB across the board (not just football). They can see how they can pull for its teams while disagreeing with and departing from the BOT and its cronies. It is the BOT and its toadies who are our problem, not the regular fans.
09-09-2015 12:38 PM
Doktyr X Offline
1st String

I Root For: Science! (+UAB)
There are still quite a few folks that have no clue as to what we have suffered over the years.

Smaug and I were on the bus trip to USM last November. When the game was over and we were on the way home, several UAB football player relatives took off their UAB shirts revealing UA and AU shirts. I have no problem with that. We started talking to a players' parents wearing UA sweatshirts(I can't remember which player) and telling them about our troubles. They seemed genuinely shocked at hearing about the BoT's hijinks; this was news to them.
09-09-2015 04:38 PM
Advertisement

Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(09-09-2015 04:38 PM)Doktyr X Wrote:  There are still quite a few folks that have no clue as to what we have suffered over the years.

Smaug and I were on the bus trip to USM last November. When the game was over and we were on the way home, several UAB football player relatives took off their UAB shirts revealing UA and AU shirts. I have no problem with that. We started talking to a players' parents wearing UA sweatshirts(I can't remember which player) and telling them about our troubles. They seemed genuinely shocked at hearing about the BoT's hijinks; this was news to them.

This on the damn NAS bus.
09-09-2015 04:41 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

I can relate a little now.

UAB grad with a daughter at JSU.

I plan on wearing a JSU shirt to a JSU game with my UAB cap.
09-09-2015 07:08 PM
blzrclub80 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I'm going to wear my UaB cap to Samford games this fall. Maybe to a USA game or two as well.
09-10-2015 01:14 PM
PTBlazer Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB, UofA
That's not the Charlie Perry on the Committee.

This is:

http://highlandassoc.com/who-we-are/
09-10-2015 01:16 PM
Advertisement

B'ham Blazer Offline
All American

(09-10-2015 01:16 PM)PTBlazer Wrote:  That's not the Charlie Perry on the Committee.

This is:

Washington & Lee.........that is where Hatton Smith went to college.
09-10-2015 01:21 PM
EnviroBlazerD Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB, Alabama
(09-10-2015 01:14 PM)blzrclub80 Wrote:  I'm going to wear my UaB cap to Samford games this fall. Maybe to a USA game or two as well.

I did this sort of thing last Thursday. UAB cap and Blazers shirt at a Samford game. Don't know if/when I'll actually make it to a South Alabama game...

Yes, I was one of the "offenders" on the NAS bus. I did have a Bama sweatshirt on, that I actually put on OVER my UAB shirt, but it was COLD on that bus! That, and I never believed they really would go as far as they did just 3 days later. Plus...IIRC I left my Blazer cap on. I was, after all, still celebrating the impressive win!

One week later, I was attending a (poorly attended) anime con, and I saw the SEC Championship game. Previously I'd have been elated that Bama ran over Mizzou, but all I could muster was "eh."

I want to be able to see UAB back on the field more than anything, but I also want to be able to watch Bama football on TV without feeling the slightest bit guilty. That's why I want the BOT to lose, because, let's face it, no one would really have a problem with Bama if not for them.

This week, I will be happy whoever wins the game, if my undergrad alma mater Alabama wins, or if our conference mates MTSU can pull off the upset.
09-11-2015 01:04 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Snoozy's sells UAB sweatshirts.
09-11-2015 06:55 PM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
We might wanna get Brad to order some torches.
09-11-2015 09:00 PM
UABslant Offline

(09-10-2015 01:16 PM)PTBlazer Wrote:  That's not the Charlie Perry on the Committee.

This is:

Thanks for the clarification. I wrongly assumed it was that Charlie Perry due to the connection to Merrill Stewart and his position on the UAB Athletic Campaign Committee.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2015 01:53 AM by UABslant.)
09-13-2015 01:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.