just a fluke 12.50% 1 12.50%
start of a trend 87.50% 7 87.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Neutral Site Payouts Hitting a Ceiling?
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation Neutral Site Payouts Hitting a Ceiling?
Quote:They're having trouble selling tix to the #ALAvsWIS game on Saturday. Only around 40k sold as of yesterday. Very few bought by Badger fans.
- Gil Brandt
[Twitter Link]

40,000 tickets sold in a stadium that seats 85,000... no bueno!

Apparently these teams were guaranteed $4 million each. Could that mean the promoters will LOSE MONEY? If so, I'd expect guaranteed payouts to start cooling off sooner rather than later.
09-03-2015 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: Neutral Site Payouts Hitting a Ceiling?
I think just a fluke.

Part of Alabama is what they have coming up-
2016 USC- also in Arlington
2017 Florida St- in Atlanta
2018 Louisville- in Orlando
09-03-2015 01:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Re: Neutral Site Payouts Hitting a Ceiling?
Atlanta will look like an auburn home game
09-03-2015 01:08 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
It's more of a challenge if the neutral site is more than a half-day drive away.

Wisconsin played a neutral site game in Houston last year, and now in Arlington this year. It's probably a difficult sell to get that same group who went to Houston last year to go back to Texas again this year. It's a real road trip for them, not just a nearby neutral site like SEC teams playing in Atlanta, or the VT-Tenn game in Bristol next year, or neutral sites that are really not neutral for their team, like TAMU playing in Houston this year (vs. ASU) or Wisconsin playing in Green Bay next year (vs. LSU).
09-03-2015 01:41 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
These Neutral Site games are becoming kind of stupid. Why would Wisconsin and Alabama play in Dallas? Not really an easy location for either school base to get to. These neutral site games use to be halfway between the schools. St. Louis would probably have been a better location. But now they are becoming like bowl games to kick off the year.

Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville Check
Virginia Tech-Tennessee in Bristol Check
Oklahoma-Texas in Dallas Check
South Carolina-North Carolina in Charlotte Check

Notre Dame-Navy in Jacksonville NO
Alabama-Wisconsin in Dallas NO

Some neutral site games need to happen though. Like:
Kansas-Missouri in Kansas City
Tulane-LSU in New Orleans (Super Dome)
LSU-Texas in Houston
Alabama-Clemson in Atlanta
Penn State-Virginia Tech at FedEx Field
Wisconsin-Notre Dame in Chicago
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 02:34 PM by Carolina_Low_Country.)
09-03-2015 02:17 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
I think the problem is that Wisconsin fans made the trip to a Texas pro stadium just last year vs LSU so I can see them not being excited to make that trip yet again even for a huge opponent like Bama so this might be a one off
09-03-2015 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
I think neutral site games are here to stay. Don't forget that the sponsorship dollars are very high for these games (where they buy up expensive big-dollar suites). Just yesterday, I got (1) a package from Advocare that had Wisconsin vs. Alabama on the box and (2) food from Chick-fil-A where Louisville vs. Auburn was on the bag. Remember that I live in Chicago, so I'm nowhere close to where those games are being played. That sponsorship revenue doesn't exist for home-and-home series. Plus, schools like Alabama would rather get the guaranteed neutral site revenue every year compared to a home-and-home series with a marquee non-conference opponent. The New York Times had an article today explaining why these games have risen so quickly in popularity:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/03/sports...ref=sports
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2015 02:47 PM by Frank the Tank.)
09-03-2015 02:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys
The fans know they will likely lose and it's' warm in Wisconsin right now so no reason to leave like there is in 3-4 months.

WVU Bama last year will have a better turnout than this Wisc Bama game.
09-03-2015 03:31 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-03-2015 01:08 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Atlanta will look like an auburn home game

I thought I saw somewhere that Louisville fans have purchased half of the total tickets already?
09-03-2015 04:28 PM
Okielite Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cowboys
(09-03-2015 04:28 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-03-2015 01:08 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Atlanta will look like an auburn home game

I thought I saw somewhere that Louisville fans have purchased half of the total tickets already?

The fans are so happy to be playing in the ACC they just can't help themselves. Good for them.
09-03-2015 10:31 PM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
(09-03-2015 02:17 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  These Neutral Site games are becoming kind of stupid. Why would Wisconsin and Alabama play in Dallas? Not really an easy location for either school base to get to. These neutral site games use to be halfway between the schools. St. Louis would probably have been a better location. But now they are becoming like bowl games to kick off the year.

LSU-Texas in Houston

Notre Dame-Navy in Jacksonville has nothing to do with the distance between schools but rather the naval presence in Jacksonville. It's why the 2018 game is in San Diego.
The neutral site Navy-Notre Dame games are Navy's "home games"
09-04-2015 09:20 AM
Advertisement

adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(09-03-2015 02:17 PM)Carolina_Low_Country Wrote:  These Neutral Site games are becoming kind of stupid. Why would Wisconsin and Alabama play in Dallas? Not really an easy location for either school base to get to. These neutral site games use to be halfway between the schools. St. Louis would probably have been a better location. But now they are becoming like bowl games to kick off the year.

That is exactly what they are. And that is why they payout so much. Put them as near home games, where it;s a daytrip for everyone, and the payout goes down. As a whole, the city makes more on 40,000 people coming in town and staying overnight, then 70,000 and sold out local fans.
09-04-2015 09:46 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
The promoters for these games will soon learn which fanbases travel, and which don't. The games that are the most profitable will be the games with traveling fanbases inundating the city with income, and the stadiums with people. The teams that don't travel well won't get reinvited, unless their TV draw is huge.
09-04-2015 11:26 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-04-2015 11:26 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The promoters for these games will soon learn which fanbases travel, and which don't. The games that are the most profitable will be the games with traveling fanbases inundating the city with income, and the stadiums with people. The teams that don't travel well won't get reinvited, unless their TV draw is huge.

Yeah, but until now I thought Wisconsin did travel well...
09-04-2015 11:34 AM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB
(09-03-2015 01:41 PM)Wedge Wrote:  It's more of a challenge if the neutral site is more than a half-day drive away.

Wisconsin played a neutral site game in Houston last year, and now in Arlington this year. It's probably a difficult sell to get that same group who went to Houston last year to go back to Texas again this year. It's a real road trip for them, not just a nearby neutral site like SEC teams playing in Atlanta, or the VT-Tenn game in Bristol next year, or neutral sites that are really not neutral for their team, like TAMU playing in Houston this year (vs. ASU) or Wisconsin playing in Green Bay next year (vs. LSU).

I know this is in conference, but TAMU v. LSU in NRG would make a killing.
09-04-2015 11:34 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-04-2015 11:34 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(09-04-2015 11:26 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  The promoters for these games will soon learn which fanbases travel, and which don't. The games that are the most profitable will be the games with traveling fanbases inundating the city with income, and the stadiums with people. The teams that don't travel well won't get reinvited, unless their TV draw is huge.
Yeah, but until now I thought Wisconsin did travel well...
I think it's Rose Bowl or bust.
09-04-2015 04:09 PM
Advertisement

DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(09-04-2015 09:20 AM)PGEMF Wrote:  

LSU-Texas in Houston

Notre Dame-Navy in Jacksonville has nothing to do with the distance between schools but rather the naval presence in Jacksonville. It's why the 2018 game is in San Diego.
The neutral site Navy-Notre Dame games are Navy's "home games"

When West Florida gets their stadium up as big as these others? It could be another place Navy could play at. Pensecola is also a Naval base. Trying to get West Florida to speed up building which they could be a FBS target. That could take some years, but it would be attractive. The goal is to get to 15,000 by 2017, and maybe expand some more after that.
09-04-2015 04:16 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
I voted that the empty seats are the start of a trend but I don't think the neutral site games are going away and games like Alabama/FSU in Atlanta will still continue to have record payouts.
09-05-2015 02:06 AM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I'm not a fan personally. I was at the SC/UNC game in Charlotte Thursday and the atmosphere just does not do it for me

I can live with it because South Carolina does it only every four or five years but I'm not sure how other fan bases do it
09-05-2015 07:48 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(09-05-2015 07:48 AM)Gamecock Wrote:  I'm not a fan personally. I was at the SC/UNC game in Charlotte Thursday and the atmosphere just does not do it for me

I can live with it because South Carolina does it only every four or five years but I'm not sure how other fan bases do it
You should have had some USC students offer to do UNC student's homework for them. It would have improved the atmosphere and attendance. 04-cheers
09-05-2015 08:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.