Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Minimumest Wage
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Minimumest Wage
And you don't even have to tip it.

The 2.0 version has a touchscreen at your seat to place your order and request drink refill, I'm sure.

http://i.imgur.com/K8TgGGW.gifv
08-29-2015 05:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
RE: Minimumest Wage
I heard that Richard Trumpka is meeting with the AFL-CIO lawyers about organizing robots.

And the NLRB is already drafting rules to protect robots from employer abuse.
08-29-2015 07:35 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
Just thought of a great approach for the libs to protest robots.

Robots run on electricity and most electricity is generated from the burning of fossil fuels which leads to global warming. Therefore, robots should be outlawed in favor of nonpolluting humans.

Sounds like a proposition for the California ballot.03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2015 07:39 AM by QuestionSocratic.)
08-29-2015 07:39 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Consequences are a MOFO.
08-29-2015 08:28 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(08-29-2015 08:28 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Consequences are a MOFO.

Nope...that's progress, not consequence...I love how folks want to act like self checkout hasn't been a thing for over a decade now...fast food has been testing it for years.

Welcome to the future
08-29-2015 08:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(08-29-2015 08:36 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Nope...that's progress, not consequence...I love how folks want to act like self checkout hasn't been a thing for over a decade now...fast food has been testing it for years.

Welcome to the future

Paint it in whatever fashion you wish. The fact is....the businessman's bottom line is what drives this and wages are a huge part of that factor. Elimination of labor is profit driven. This does not happen if the labor is cheaper than cost of the equipment to replace it. This is direct consequence of artificially increased labor costs.
08-29-2015 08:43 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-29-2015 08:43 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Welcome to the future

Paint it in whatever fashion you wish. The fact is....the businessman's bottom line is what drives this and wages are a huge part of that factor. Elimination of labor is profit driven. This does not happen if the labor is cheaper than cost of the equipment to replace it. This is direct consequence of artificially increased labor costs.

Technology does one thing...get cheaper...those workers will be replaced either way...no way around it...so you try to politicize it for your side...shocking! lol 07-coffee3
08-29-2015 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
No one is politicizing it for their side. Some of us have said this is what will happen if you try to force a non-market driven minimum wage. So stop acting butthurt when some show up with the proof to back of what we've been saying. You liberals are all about proof and links, except when you are presented with proof and links, at which time the butthurtedness starts.

When you attempt to manipulate the market to get a certain outcome, you never get the outcome you wanted.
08-29-2015 08:57 AM
BlazerFan11 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
(08-29-2015 08:54 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Welcome to the future

Technology does one thing...get cheaper...those workers will be replaced either way...no way around it...so you try to politicize it for your side...shocking! lol 07-coffee3

Those "politicizing" it are the ones out marching for a $15 minimum wage so that they can pretend they care about poor people (by making them unemployable sooner).
08-29-2015 08:58 AM
Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Re: RE: Minimumest Wage
(08-29-2015 05:16 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  And you don't even have to tip it.

The 2.0 version has a touchscreen at your seat to place your order and request drink refill, I'm sure.

http://i.imgur.com/K8TgGGW.gifv

I had one of these at my table at Chili's. The stupid thing didn't even work so they had to by bring me a server anyway.
08-29-2015 09:00 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Welcome to the future

Who is acting like self-checkout hasn't been a thing for over a decade now?
Hint: Nobody is.

Way to miss the point.
What's happening is that the utility and functionality of kiosks has been rising, at the same time their costs have been falling, while the cost of labor is rising. At some point those curves cross and kiosks and other robotic means become cheaper. Increasing the minimum wage brings that point earlier, which may or may not be a good thing. But it is a thing, and it does inevitably happen.
08-29-2015 09:02 AM
Advertisement

UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-29-2015 08:58 AM)BlazerFan11 Wrote:  

Welcome to the future

Those "politicizing" it are the ones out marching for a $15 minimum wage so that they can pretend they care about poor people (by making them unemployable sooner).

Last I looked, the right to assemble and protest is in the constitution...
08-29-2015 09:02 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Welcome to the future

And put them on the dole where they become safe and secure voters for democrats--who put them there to begin with.

As for the "they will be replaced either way," argument, yes, at some point they will. Raising the minimum wage brings that point much earlier in time.
08-29-2015 09:04 AM
UofMemphis Away

Donators
(08-29-2015 09:04 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(08-29-2015 08:36 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Nope...that's progress, not consequence...I love how folks want to act like self checkout hasn't been a thing for over a decade now...fast food has been testing it for years.
Welcome to the future

And put them on the dole where they become safe and secure voters for democrats--who put them there to begin with.

As for the "they will be replaced either way," argument, yes, at some point they will. Raising the minimum wage brings that point much earlier in time.

I prefer not to pull the band aid slowly...just yank and be done with it.
08-29-2015 09:05 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(08-29-2015 09:02 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-29-2015 08:36 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  Nope...that's progress, not consequence...I love how folks want to act like self checkout hasn't been a thing for over a decade now...fast food has been testing it for years.

Welcome to the future

Assemble and protest all you want. But when screwed up ideas are put in place to manipulate the market for a desired outcome, you will not get the desired outcome.
08-29-2015 09:11 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(08-29-2015 09:05 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(08-29-2015 08:43 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Paint it in whatever fashion you wish. The fact is....the businessman's bottom line is what drives this and wages are a huge part of that factor. Elimination of labor is profit driven. This does not happen if the labor is cheaper than cost of the equipment to replace it. This is direct consequence of artificially increased labor costs.

I prefer not to pull the band aid slowly...just yank and be done with it.

OK. Then don't complain about the lack of jobs. You do understand that the management in many of these places worked the lines at one time? Lots of these folks found a path to higher paying jobs by starting at the bottom and showing their worth. Now that opportunity has been eliminated. Consequence again of fcking around with the free market and artifically raising wages.
08-29-2015 11:48 AM
Advertisement

UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF

Welcome to the future

Good post by Owl. This was an inevitability, just like any other sort of machinery or technology, and arguing that we should strive to provide human wages so low as to prevent this is asinine.
08-29-2015 12:25 PM
UCF08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
Welcome to the future

I think you'd agree the rate of technology growth is what drives this primarily, not wages. And arguing that we should be using cheaper labor as a way of stifling this technological growth is downright silly, and shortsighted on all accounts.

It's almost as if people in this thread think that it's a positive to lower wages so much that we don't need any technological progress, when in reality, there is good evidence that extremely low labor costs actually hamper innovation and technological improvements. Slavery in South America is a great example of that.
08-29-2015 12:28 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(08-29-2015 12:28 PM)UCF08 Wrote:  
(08-29-2015 08:43 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Paint it in whatever fashion you wish. The fact is....the businessman's bottom line is what drives this and wages are a huge part of that factor. Elimination of labor is profit driven. This does not happen if the labor is cheaper than cost of the equipment to replace it. This is direct consequence of artificially increased labor costs.

I think you'd agree the rate of technology growth is what drives this primarily, not wages. And arguing that we should be using cheaper labor as a way of stifling this technological growth is downright silly, and shortsighted on all accounts.

It's almost as if people in this thread think that it's a positive to lower wages so much that we don't need any technological progress, when in reality, there is good evidence that extremely low labor costs actually hamper innovation and technological improvements. Slavery in South America is a great example of that.

Who has argued that we should use cheap labor to stifle technology? Im waiting.07-coffee3

Oh...and I don't think you have a clue what Owl thinks on this issue.
(This post was last modified: 08-29-2015 09:13 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
08-29-2015 09:12 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(08-29-2015 09:02 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

Welcome to the future

Absolutely. Even when they're rooting against their own interests.
08-29-2015 09:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.