Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

G5 Madness - G5 teams that could go to a playoff - P5 teams that wouldn't win AAC/MWC
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn, OhioSt
G5 Madness - G5 teams that could go to a playoff - P5 teams that wouldn't win AAC/MWC
Kind of merging two thoughts here.

1. BYU deserves to be in the playoff if they go undefeated. At Missouri, At UCLA, At Michigan, At Nebraska... Boise, Cincy and ECU at home. That's 6 (in my opinion 7 - counting ECU) quality wins. Compare to Notre Dame (at Clemson, At Stanford, At Pitt, At Virginia.. home USC, Georgia Tech, Texas... Clemson/Stanford/USC and Texas all could be way down this year. Any other G5s that could do it too? Cincy and Boise have generally weaker schedules this year.. Central Florida has At Stanford, At South Carolina At Cincy... Not sure that's enough. I'm sure there are other G5s with stronger schedules but they don't have a realistic chance of going undefeated (SMU, etc.)

2. List of teams in power conferences that would not win the AAC or Mountain West:
BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Thoughts on either topic 03-wink ?
08-05-2015 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
RE: G5 Madness - G5 teams that could go to a playoff - P5 teams that wouldn't win AAC/MWC
(08-05-2015 12:02 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  2. List of teams in power conferences that would not win the AAC or Mountain West:
BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

IMO, you underestimate BC, Pitt, Tech, and Oregon St. Any of those teams would at least be in contention for the AAC or MWC titles.
08-05-2015 12:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: LaTech
RE: G5 Madness - G5 teams that could go to a playoff - P5 teams that wouldn't win AAC/MWC
(08-05-2015 12:02 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  Kind of merging two thoughts here.

1. BYU deserves to be in the playoff if they go undefeated. At Missouri, At UCLA, At Michigan, At Nebraska... Boise, Cincy and ECU at home. That's 6 (in my opinion 7 - counting ECU) quality wins. Compare to Notre Dame (at Clemson, At Stanford, At Pitt, At Virginia.. home USC, Georgia Tech, Texas... Clemson/Stanford/USC and Texas all could be way down this year. Any other G5s that could do it too? Cincy and Boise have generally weaker schedules this year.. Central Florida has At Stanford, At South Carolina At Cincy... Not sure that's enough. I'm sure there are other G5s with stronger schedules but they don't have a realistic chance of going undefeated (SMU, etc.)

2. List of teams in power conferences that would not win the AAC or Mountain West:
BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

AAC Placed lower in final CFP rankings than C-USA and thus received a smaller payout.

You'll remember last year's two options were Marshall and Boise State.
08-05-2015 12:10 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(08-05-2015 12:07 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 12:02 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  2. List of teams in power conferences that would not win the AAC or Mountain West:
BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

IMO, you underestimate BC, Pitt, Tech, and Oregon St. Any of those teams would at least be in contention for the AAC or MWC titles.

Easily...
08-05-2015 12:10 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(08-05-2015 12:10 PM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

AAC Placed lower in final CFP rankings than C-USA and thus received a smaller payout.

CUSA'ers will tout this into their grave. For god's sake man, everyone other than CUSA message board posters view AAC & MWC as top 2 G5's and above CUSA.
08-05-2015 12:13 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(08-05-2015 12:02 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  1. BYU deserves to be in the playoff if they go undefeated. At Missouri, At UCLA, At Michigan, At Nebraska... Boise, Cincy and ECU at home. That's 6 (in my opinion 7 - counting ECU) quality wins. Compare to Notre Dame (at Clemson, At Stanford, At Pitt, At Virginia.. home USC, Georgia Tech, Texas... Clemson/Stanford/USC and Texas all could be way down this year. Any other G5s that could do it too? Cincy and Boise have generally weaker schedules this year.. Central Florida has At Stanford, At South Carolina At Cincy... Not sure that's enough. I'm sure there are other G5s with stronger schedules but they don't have a realistic chance of going undefeated (SMU, etc.)

BYU could have the resume if undefeated, but it would largely depend on how all those teams listed perform. If most on the list are contending for their division crown, then BYU would have a strong argument. But, Missouri, UCLA, Michigan, and Nebraska could all end up being also-rans in their respective conferences.

Also Utah St. should be good and SJSU should be decent this year, and while not expected, Fresno has been known to surprise from time to time.

All of Notre Dame's opponents listed will be propped mightily in the national media. So, any wins over Clemson, Stanford, USC, Georgia Tech and Texas will carry substantial weight, even if they aren't any better than the teams on BYU's schedule. Notre Dame will easily have an inherent advantage over BYU in the selection committee room.

UCF's sked has the potential, if Stanford wins the PAC 12 North and SC wins the SEC East...and the AAC West winner has some decent wins and a shiny 9 or 10 win record.
08-05-2015 12:13 PM
Advertisement

jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(08-05-2015 12:07 PM)YNot Wrote:  
BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Texas Tech was the hardest decision for me on that list. Pitt was basically in the AAC and weren't a top program in the league when they were there - Pitt also had some bad losses last year (Akron, Iowa, Houston in a bowl game) . BC is picked last in the ACC according a couple polls. I like their coach but Cincy, BYU, UCF and Boise are better. They have NIU coming in this year too... I believe NIU is a little down but it will be interesting. BC also lost at home to Colorado State, a top G5, last year. Oregon State... that's another tough call.
08-05-2015 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YNot Offline
All American

Quote:Underestimating CUSA.

In 2014, perhaps Marshall was > than Cincy, Memphis, and UCF.

However, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, ECU, Houston >>>>>>> LA Tech - your runner-up.

No contest.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 12:16 PM by YNot.)
08-05-2015 12:16 PM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

Last year the undefeated teams played no one of note. I'm not saying the AAC is a great conference but the top 2 teams are very good (UCF, Cincy) and the top is generally strong (Memphis, Houston, ECU.. maybe Temple and Navy).
08-05-2015 12:18 PM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(08-05-2015 12:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  

No contest.

I don't know if Marshall would have won the AAC last year. I'd give them a better chance at it than some P5s though 03-wink
08-05-2015 12:20 PM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

About UCF - have to keep in mind they have only lost 1 game in the AAC ever and it was a total fluke.
08-05-2015 12:21 PM
Advertisement

LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2015 12:13 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

CUSA'ers will tout this into their grave. For god's sake man, everyone other than CUSA message board posters view AAC & MWC as top 2 G5's and above CUSA.

And that's inaccurate. Just saying.

AAC went 1-4 against CUSA out of conference last year.

CUSA was 3-3 against the MWC last year.
08-05-2015 12:22 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(08-05-2015 12:15 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  Texas Tech was the hardest decision for me on that list. Pitt was basically in the AAC and weren't a top program in the league when they were there - Pitt also had some bad losses last year (Akron, Iowa, Houston in a bowl game) . BC is picked last in the ACC according a couple polls. I like their coach but Cincy, BYU, UCF and Boise are better. They have NIU coming in this year too... I believe NIU is a little down but it will be interesting. BC also lost at home to Colorado State, a top G5, last year. Oregon State... that's another tough call.

I'll give you Pitt. But they wouldn't be an easy win or a pushover.

But, BC beat USC and Virginia Tech last year. They were in to the end against both Florida State and Clemson. 3-point loss to 10-win CSU.

The Eagles would contend in either the AAC or MWC.

While Tech struggled for Big 12 wins in 2014, tey had near misses against Baylor, WVU, Oklahoma St., and even Oklahoma. Tech would contend in the AAC or MWC.

Oregon St. is going to come out swinging this year with new head coach Gary Anderson and Kilani Sitaki at DC. I would pick them to win the MWC or AAC.
08-05-2015 12:23 PM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(08-05-2015 12:22 PM)LaTechBanjo Wrote:  

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

Those aren't really great sample sizes though. UConn football is 3-2 all time against the Big 12. What does that mean? not much.
08-05-2015 12:25 PM
jskwrite Offline
2nd String

(08-05-2015 12:23 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 12:15 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  Texas Tech was the hardest decision for me on that list. Pitt was basically in the AAC and weren't a top program in the league when they were there - Pitt also had some bad losses last year (Akron, Iowa, Houston in a bowl game) . BC is picked last in the ACC according a couple polls. I like their coach but Cincy, BYU, UCF and Boise are better. They have NIU coming in this year too... I believe NIU is a little down but it will be interesting. BC also lost at home to Colorado State, a top G5, last year. Oregon State... that's another tough call.

I'll give you Pitt. But they wouldn't be an easy win or a pushover.

But, BC beat USC and Virginia Tech last year. They were in to the end against both Florida State and Clemson. 3-point loss to 10-win CSU.

The Eagles would contend in either the AAC or MWC.

While Tech struggled for Big 12 wins in 2014, tey had near misses against Baylor, WVU, Oklahoma St., and even Oklahoma. Tech would contend in the AAC or MWC.

Oregon St. is going to come out swinging this year with new head coach Gary Anderson and Kilani Sitaki at DC. I would pick them to win the MWC or AAC.

BC would be a top half, top 2-3 team in either league... true. I just don't think they'd win it. I'm really confused why predictors are so much higher on Pitt than BC this year anyway.
08-05-2015 12:27 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

When a program leaves the AAC to go to CUSA, let me know. Thanks.
08-05-2015 12:30 PM
Advertisement

LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2015 12:16 PM)YNot Wrote:  

No contest.

Sorry, but no. It would certainly be a contest.

Houston finished 5th in your league and was taken out back behind the woodshed by UTSA, who finished 4th in the WEST half of C-USA.
08-05-2015 12:30 PM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2015 12:25 PM)jskwrite Wrote:  

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

Those aren't really great sample sizes though. UConn football is 3-2 all time against the Big 12. What does that mean? not much.

Scoreboard.
08-05-2015 12:31 PM
LaTechBanjo Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2015 12:30 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  

BC
Syracuse
Wake
Pitt
Iowa State
Kansas
Texas Tech
Rutgers
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Purdue
Washington State
Colorado
Oregon State
Vanderbilt

Underestimating CUSA.

When a program leaves the AAC to go to CUSA, let me know. Thanks.

By that logic:

Let me know when an AAC program leaves to join the MWC.
08-05-2015 12:33 PM
YNot Offline
All American

(08-05-2015 12:13 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  CUSA'ers will tout this into their grave. For god's sake man, everyone other than CUSA message board posters view AAC & MWC as top 2 G5's and above CUSA.

I do see a couple of quality wins: UTSA over Houston and Rice over Fresno St. in the Hawaii Bowl.

But otherwise...

FAU and Texas St. beat Tulsa (2-6).
North Texas beat SMU (1-7).
Rice beat Hawaii (3-5)
UTEP beat New Mexico (2-6)
08-05-2015 12:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.