Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chip Brown realignment article
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
Chip Brown realignment article
http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story...ealignment

Interesting take on realignment. Could this be an option going forward?
07-07-2015 12:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: Syracuse

Donators
RE: Chip Brown realignment article
(07-07-2015 12:59 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story...ealignment

Good read. Thanks for sharing. That would be something for all the leagues to merge and have one gigantic tv deal. I just don't see it ever happening because at least 4 conference commissioners would be out of a job. With their egos, I don't know how that can come to fruition.
07-07-2015 01:56 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-07-2015 01:56 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 12:59 PM)uofl05 Wrote:  http://www.scout.com/college/texas/story...ealignment

Good read. Thanks for sharing. That would be something for all the leagues to merge and have one gigantic tv deal. I just don't see it ever happening because at least 4 conference commissioners would be out of a job. With their egos, I don't know how that can come to fruition.

If/when the school presidents realize they can cut back on the share paid to the commissioner/league office from 1/15th to 1/65th? For each ACC team, that alone is an extra $1 million per year at least!
07-07-2015 02:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
krux Offline
Banned

So ND will never play USC, Navy, Stanford, Texas, Purdue or Michigan State ever again? Fat chance.
07-07-2015 03:03 PM
uofl05 Offline
Special Teams

I agree, egos and agendas will keep it from happening, but I really am intrigued with the idea. I think it has a lot of positive features.
07-07-2015 03:10 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(07-07-2015 02:14 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

If/when the school presidents realize they can cut back on the share paid to the commissioner/league office from 1/15th to 1/65th? For each ACC team, that alone is an extra $1 million per year at least!

I didn't think about the savings from doing away with the commissioners office. I still don't think that will be enough for a commish to step away or be shown the door. also, even if there is only one commish there would be so many cultural differences that each group of schools is going to want someone to represent them in decisions that will affect them. I just cant see the northeaster schools settling for some one out west to make decisions that affect them. The same goes for schools in the south, or Midwest. Each region of schools have vast differences and interests from each other that may not be fully appreciated by someone in a different region. Each region would have to have a voice that represent them. In other words a conference commissioner.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 03:31 PM by cuseroc.)
07-07-2015 03:25 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(07-07-2015 03:25 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 02:14 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I didn't think about the savings from doing away with the commissioners office. I still don't think that will be enough for a commish to step away or be shown the door. also, even if there is only one commish there would be so many cultural differences that each group of schools is going to want someone to represent them in decisions that will affect them. I just cant see the northeaster schools settling for some one out west to make decisions that affect them. The same goes for schools in the south, or Midwest. Each region of schools have vast differences and interests from each other that may not be fully appreciated by someone in a different region. Each region would have to have a voice that represent them. In other words a conference commissioner.

I don't know...
[Image: moneytalks.gif]
Money talks!
07-07-2015 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
Why does anybody listen to Chip Brown at this point? Guy has proven to everyone he doesn't know ****.

I didn't bother reading his article, so if he goes into specific scenarios, I'm ignorant to those. But conferences selling all of their rights as one package is not an idea he just came up with. I have said it several times over the years and I know others on this site have as well.

It should result in higher revenue. And for conferences that are fearful of future expansion coming from their current membership, it would help even the revenue playing field in that regard. Because you don't even need to "merge" into one uber-mega-ultra-super-supreme conference. You could just keep the conferences in their current forms and simply bundle the tv rights. (So, I guess that might be a reason why higher-grossing conferences might be against it.)

And who cares about ND? They wouldn't make or break a deal involving the P5 selling their combines rights as one property.
07-07-2015 04:30 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Been there. Done that. And it didn't work. I don't see how that differs from the CFA (which failed). Conference media deals started growing exponentially when the CFA was abandoned.

I don't see college football earning anywhere near the NFL numbers that he predicts.
07-07-2015 08:15 PM
Advertisement

EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
he doesn't know what he's talking about
07-08-2015 02:26 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
The college world was already there.... Then Notre Dame did it's own thing (which I can't blame them for) and the rest is history.
07-08-2015 06:29 PM
OrangeXtreme Offline
Special Teams

One flaw in his plan...

20 conference games makes for a long basketball season.
07-11-2015 02:26 PM
Guardian Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Alabama, SBC
(07-07-2015 03:03 PM)krux Wrote:  So ND will never play USC, Navy, Stanford, Texas, Purdue or Michigan State ever again? Fat chance.

Yeah... that kills it for me. Many rivalries would be killed, and other teams would never play again unless its int he postseason. I HATE that idea.
07-11-2015 07:52 PM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
I like it. His divisions need some work. Some things he got right:

- Keeping the Kansas schools and Mizzou together
- Merger between SEC East and ACC South of Potomac

Some things he got wrong:

- Clemson joining the SEC West teams. Wuhhhhhhh?
- The Big 12 South teams will merge with the SEC West teams. People forget Arkansas has more in common with Texas than most of the SEC. Also, LSU's proximity to TX is often overlooked. Most popular baseball team in New Orleans? The Astros.

The biggest problem with this plan? See Notre Dame's past history of treachery. I can still hear Beano Cook ranting and raving over ND's decision to do their own TV contract.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2015 08:43 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-11-2015 08:42 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Beano is dead.
07-12-2015 09:38 AM
Marge Schott Offline
Banned

I Root For: YouAreButtHurt
(07-12-2015 09:38 AM)TerryD Wrote:  Beano is dead.

[Image: 81dIsFG7-UL._SY355SX238_SY355_CR,0,0,238..._SH20_.jpg]
07-12-2015 10:23 AM
MKPitt Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Pitt
His conferences are very similar to what mine were when I was trying to figure out the ideal situation except I had 12 teams in each conference. However, I didn't want to do away with non-conference games.

UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston, SMU, BYU, and Boise State get the bump up.

I shift VT to the northeast, Clemson and SC to the Atlantic due to their historic ties and Vanderbilt and Arkansas to the south. The rest is the same. I think this works better.

ND
Penn State
Pitt
Syracuse
WVU
BC
Rutgers
UConn
Maryland
Kentucky
Louisville
Virginia Tech

UVA
Duke
WF
UNC
NC State
Clemson
South Carolina
GT
Georgia
Miami
Florida
FSU

OSU
Cincinnati
Michigan
MSU
Indiana
Purdue
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Iowa
Iowa State

Vanderbilt
Tennessee
Memphis
Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi
Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas
Missouri
Kansas
Kansas State

Texas
A&M
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
SMU
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Nebraska
Arizona
Arizona State

UCLA
USC
Stanford
California
Washington
WSU
Oregon
OSU
Utah
Colorado
BYU
Boise State
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 10:55 AM by MKPitt.)
07-12-2015 10:54 AM
Advertisement

georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies

Doesn't make it any less relevant or accurate.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2015 04:29 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
07-12-2015 04:29 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(07-12-2015 04:29 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  

Doesn't make it any less relevant or accurate.

He is still dead. (Like Francisco Franco).

What business was it of anyone else that NBC wanted to sign ND to an individual OTA contract that paid the latter very well, more than anyone else and more than ND could earn otherwise?

If Georgia Tech was and/or is able to do that, I would applaud them.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2015 11:14 AM by TerryD.)
07-13-2015 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.