Cost of Attendance
07-07-2015 10:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
RE: Cost of Attendance
CoC as well, though on a tiered approach.

Towson will only do it for bball, at this time.
07-07-2015 10:25 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
i haaaaaaaaaaaate what cost of attendance will do to college athletics
07-07-2015 10:25 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(07-07-2015 10:25 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  i haaaaaaaaaaaate what cost of attendance will do to college athletics

What will it do that isn't already being done? It just is legitimizing it.
07-07-2015 10:35 AM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
Yet another way our "peers" are differentiating themselves from the nitwits in Harrisonburg.
07-07-2015 10:39 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

JMU at a minimum needs to stay on pace with CAA schools that are doing some level of COA.
07-07-2015 10:59 AM
Advertisement

HolyCityDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: Duke Doge
Jeffery Bourne and Jon Boy Alger will need to do a listening tour for 3 years to figure out how they need to plan a plan for the overall plan.
07-07-2015 11:16 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

Towson is smart. They realized they invested a lot of money into a new basketball arena and now is not the time to go cheap and not offer stipends. If you build a new arena to attract the best student athletes why not also offer Stipends to get the most return on your infrastructure investment? That's why I am afraid we will build a new $88 million basketball arena but forever be a bottom third tier basketball program because we do not offer full COA. If a div 1 player is looking to transfer from his existing school and is currently receiving a stipend do you think he wants to transfer down to a school that does not offer stipends to student athletes? I will support JMU's wishes for the traditional student athlete model but if we hold this stance and our conference mates do offer full COA we should really consider a new conference or even an entirely new division.

This how COA will have a trickle down effect. The best players will want stipends and the best coaches will want to coach at a school that offers stipends. If JMU does not offer stipends our athletic program will need to readjust their strategic national plan and goals for winning conference championships.
07-07-2015 11:17 AM
atljmualum Offline
All American

Cost of Attendance
(07-07-2015 10:25 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  i haaaaaaaaaaaate what cost of attendance will do to college athletics

Finally something where we agree 03-wink.

That said, JMU needs to get onboard or fall even further behind.
07-07-2015 11:24 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I hate it...I hate the whole thing.

That being said, it isn't going away, and it seems most everyone else outside of the CAA is on board. Now we have some CAA members paying up.

We either do it, or admit a competitive disadvantage.
07-07-2015 11:26 AM
Rock House Duke Offline
1st String

(07-07-2015 11:24 AM)atljmualum Wrote:  

Finally something where we agree 03-wink.

That said, JMU needs to get onboard or fall even further behind.

I feel confident everyone on this board can agree if JMU does not keep pace with fellow CAA schools we will fall behind. We will also fall even further from relevancy in our own state behind UVA, Va Tech, ODU, VCU, Richmond, and even Liberty leaving Radford and Longwood as our athletic peer in the Commonwealth.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 11:42 AM by Rock House Duke.)
07-07-2015 11:34 AM
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

(07-07-2015 11:17 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  Towson is smart.

Wait a minute, this IS Towson we're talking about. "Towson" + "smart" are words that should not go together.
07-07-2015 11:36 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Cost of Attendance
I want to know how schools outside of the power conferences can afford this increase in their athletic budget. I'm assuming we're raising student fees to accomplish it? I doubt most schools are suddenly having donors pony up to cover coa for all sports.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 11:44 AM by Potomac.)
07-07-2015 11:43 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 11:43 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I want to know how schools outside of the power conferences can afford this increase in their athletic budget. I'm assuming we're raising student fees to accomplish it? I doubt most schools are suddenly having donors pony up to cover coa for all sports.

If these schools are just dipping their toes in to cover men's basketball the COA stipend would be very little impact.
07-07-2015 11:57 AM
NovaDuke Offline
Bench Warmer

(07-07-2015 10:39 AM)Dadgum Wrote:  Yet another way our "peers" are differentiating themselves from the nitwits in Harrisonburg.

It all makes JMU athletics sense.

JMU has the largest CAA athletic budget by far and has spent $200M on athletic infrastructure. If JMU chooses to not to pay COA stipends while other CAA programs choose to do so, that sounds about right.
07-07-2015 12:23 PM
UofRfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Richmond
Don't bother building a shiny new Arena if going to cheap out on stipends for the basketball teams. If Towson and CofC and UNCW are doing it, let alone many other "peers" you aspire to be similar to, its a no brainier what JMU should be doing here. Find room for the $100k a year until further notice.
07-07-2015 12:24 PM
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
we'll end up paying it... like everything else it's a matter of when.

I'll be interested to see what kind of numbers this will mean for JMU having to cover, and what sports it affects. Has COA been brought up in terms of numbers for what it would mean to JMU's budget?
07-07-2015 12:30 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Auburn and Alabama are already competing to call and raise in their race for the highest COA in their poker recruiting advantage game. The rest of the SEC and other football factories will follow suit (pun intended). Ultimately I think one of two things will happen...

1. A standard monetary amount will be set because it will spiral completely out of control...which we are already seeing the early signs of.

or...

2. There will be a greater divide within the P5 + Notre Dame members. Most of the SEC in FB, much of the Big 10, and smaller parts of the ACC (FSU, Clemson) and Big 12 (Texas, OU, Okie St) and Pac 12 (Oregon, USC), etc., will amplify their "advantages" even more to where it is going to completely piss off the rest of the P5. Same for the Dukes and Kentuckys and Kansases in hoops.

If #1 goes through, I'm far from naive enough to believe the Bamas of the world will cease to provide additional illegal payments to attract top talent while the NCAA is blind to it all and instead focuses its investigative resources on the improper scholarship distribution scandal at Western Colorado State Women's College for the Totally Whacked's lacrosse program.
07-07-2015 12:41 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(07-07-2015 12:23 PM)NovaDuke Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 10:39 AM)Dadgum Wrote:  Yet another way our "peers" are differentiating themselves from the nitwits in Harrisonburg.

It all makes JMU athletics sense.

JMU has the largest CAA athletic budget by far and has spent $200M on athletic infrastructure. If JMU chooses to not to pay COA stipends while other CAA programs choose to do so, that sounds about right.

Agree, (I don't really care for the whole COA idea in general) it makes no business sense to have an athletic budget of this size and shiny new facilities.....then go on the cheap with regard to COA.
07-07-2015 12:45 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Cost of Attendance
Outside of the big boy money UVA and vt see, how is a va public school supposed to pay for coa without raising student fees even more. The cronies at the state senate in Richmond would probably have something to say about that.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2015 02:18 PM by Potomac.)
07-07-2015 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.