UAB deserves better from Birmingham
06-23-2015 09:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: UAB deserves better from Birmingham
Sher is talking out of both sides of his mouth. On one hand he says the decision and it's implementation was horrible. On the other hand he's whining about the social media storm that followed as something that killed "open discussion" with those that might have agreed with Watts. The fact is social media was the only outlet at our disposal since the concept of shared governance and open discussion has been dead for years.

I do agree that both UAB and the city probably have undervalued each other in the past. That probably won't happen again in the foreseeable future.
06-23-2015 09:36 AM
Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
It doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. UAB can be great in both, research AND undergraduate student life. Football is a big part of that. What the "14x" idea in this column fails to value is the sense of pride athletics instills in a university and a community. It can't be measured immediately, but one of the way graduates remain emotionally connected to their universities is through sports. That school pride is reflected throughout the university in donations that for many grads becomes a lifetime commitment.
06-23-2015 10:12 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
His statement (in the comment) asks "Would the BOT intentionally harm UAB which is providing (his figures) 3 of every 4 dollars in the UA System?" The answer is that the BOT does not consider the Medical establishment in B'ham to belong to UAB and would not harm something they own. The undergraduate schools, however are their stepchildren and they don't care as much what becomes of them.

He apparently "buys whole cloth" the notion that killing UAB sports was a local decision made entirely with the BOT totally out of the decision-making chain. I don't believe ANY significant decision is made in the UA system that the BOT only observes. Based on what I consider their "Body of Work" since 1969 and about UAB football ever since 2002 (Black Friday), their design is apparent to any who aren't looking through crimson glasses. The Tuscaloosa campus is their only priority and is the only one any of the BOT leaders endow from their considerable wealth.

B'ham is the state's stepchild and UAB undergraduate schools are the BOT's stepchildren. They both only prosper in spite of the system, not because of it. Mr. Sher, get back to me when any state official comes to B'ham to "cut the ribbon" on ANY state recruited industry.
06-23-2015 10:53 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
I think the social media storm was very important because, honestly, we didn't have much of an outlet. The channels available to us could easily be suppressed by the administration. If we meekly tried to use our respective groups and associations, the administration probably would have straight up ignored us or used the PR firms to deflect everything. It would have been worse than the stadium denial.

I'm also not a fan of people coming out of the woodwork to say the money is better served going to research. It's true, but damn. No one would pick athletics over curing cancer or the like, but it's a nonstarter. If that argument was put into practice, UAB wouldn't even be a school. It'd just be a research firm. It's a university. I just don't get why people are so hasty to make calls for us to excel at this or that when we can definitely excel at all that we do if we just put or mind and effort to it.
06-23-2015 11:22 AM
Advertisement

Blazer on the southside Offline
Special Teams

The article's intent seems to be to expand on the idea from an email that we are all ignorant for wanting to waste money that could be multiplied 14 times in a year on foolishness such as college football. So we are all to accept that UAB is a magic cash machine that is guaranteed to multiply unlimited amounts of dollars by 14 each year? If that were universally accepted to be true as the article implies, then it would seem that there would be no trouble at all finding any amount of funds to invest. In that case, why doesn't the system have unlimited money? Can't they just borrow money and dump this into the 14x machine? Institutions would be crazy not to issue any amount of bonds to UAB since they are guaranteed to be multiplied 14x.

To top it all off, exactly what other athletic programs in the UA system are providing a 14x return on money spent on them? Does even the mighty UAT football? Should we shut down all other athletics that don't perform to this standard and funnel the money into the unlimited 14x UAB research cash machine? Why not?
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 11:28 AM by Blazer on the southside.)
06-23-2015 11:24 AM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
What would Mr Sher propose be done by Bama to shift much of the over $150 million their Athletic Department gets annually to the academic pursuits of that university? Perhaps they could even NOT raise tuition every year. Every year since 2008, that is.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 12:19 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-23-2015 11:30 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

I replied after David Sher (the author of the article) responded to a commenter in this manner: Albert, I do undertand that this was just not about football–but it’s also about being respectful. The decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters–but they were treated as such. By the way, Sher is past Chairman of the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce (BBA),

My Reply:
No, the decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters, or least I see no evidence that they are. However, they are entrusted by the people of Alabama, the tax payers, to run a public institution which generates over $5 billion in business a year and over 61,000 jobs for the state of Alabama. Yet certain members of the UA BOT, who obviously control the Board, used their power to settle old scores and/or willfully damage the athletic program of a university under their care.

How do we know this – we don’t for sure because secrecy prevails – but all signs point in that direction. We know Watts’ decision was not about money; it was about getting rid of UAB football. It was not about money because otherwise he would have been transparent from start, following the example of the President of Tulane when that program got into financial trouble. That would have been the honest and frankly the easiest thing to do. Instead he tried to keep his decision secret until it was too late for anyone to do anything about it. In the process he chose to play the part of the evil fool. Ray Watts is anything but a fool. He accepted the role because he couldn’t possibly reveal his true motivation He allowed certain members of the BOT to turn him into a patsy.

However, for a moment let’s say that members of the BOT were not involved. Let’s assume that it was all Watts’ idea, that he hid his decision from everyone for his own reasons, and that he really was a fool who totally mishandled the situation. In that case his blunders were more than sufficient to get the President of any university fired. And yet the members of the BOT supported him through out. There can be only one reason why Ray Watts is still President of UAB.

No, the decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters, but that doesn’t reduce the gravity of their offenses. Thankfully the crimes of murderers, rapists, or wife beaters usually affect only a few individuals. The offenses of Watts and his BOT accomplices affected the lives of thousands and cost UAB $11 million. To set things right hundreds of people had to work countless hours. I was one of them. Sometimes the magnitude of an offense is not only measured how horrible it is, but by the extent it affects the general population and this is one of those situations.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 12:07 PM by CajunBlazer.)
06-23-2015 12:01 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
They are not known to be those particular horrid things, but a case could be made for "Treason against the state" because of their position of trust and how, protected by secrecy that Benedict Arnold would have envied, they have betrayed that trust.

Unlike Article 3 of the U.S. Constitution, the Alabama Constitution of 1901 does not define "treason against the state", but if it ever happened, this is the time and for the most petty of reasons.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 12:31 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
06-23-2015 12:29 PM
Advertisement

58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(06-23-2015 12:01 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  I replied after David Sher (the author of the article) responded to a commenter in this manner: Albert, I do undertand that this was just not about football–but it’s also about being respectful. The decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters–but they were treated as such. By the way, Sher is past Chairman of the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce (BBA),

My Reply:
No, the decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters, or least I see no evidence that they are. However, they are entrusted by the people of Alabama, the tax payers, to run a public institution which generates over $5 billion in business a year and over 61,000 jobs for the state of Alabama. Yet certain members of the UA BOT, who obviously control the Board, used their power to settle old scores and/or willfully damage the athletic program of a university under their care.

How do we know this – we don’t for sure because secrecy prevails – but all signs point in that direction. We know Watts’ decision was not about money; it was about getting rid of UAB football. It was not about money because otherwise he would have been transparent from start, following the example of the President of Tulane when that program got into financial trouble. That would have been the honest and frankly the easiest thing to do. Instead he tried to keep his decision secret until it was too late for anyone to do anything about it. In the process he chose to play the part of the evil fool. Ray Watts is anything but a fool. He accepted the role because he couldn’t possibly reveal his true motivation He allowed certain members of the BOT to turn him into a patsy.

However, for a moment let’s say that members of the BOT were not involved. Let’s assume that it was all Watts’ idea, that he hid his decision from everyone for his own reasons, and that he really was a fool who totally mishandled the situation. In that case his blunders were more than sufficient to get the President of any university fired. And yet the members of the BOT supported him through out. There can be only one reason why Ray Watts is still President of UAB.

No, the decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters, but that doesn’t reduce the gravity of their offenses. Thankfully the crimes of murderers, rapists, or wife beaters usually affect only a few individuals. The offenses of Watts and his BOT accomplices affected the lives of thousands and cost UAB $11 million. To set things right hundreds of people had to work countless hours. I was one of them. Sometimes the magnitude of an offense is not only measured how horrible it is, but by the extent it affects the general population and this is one of those situations.

Sheer poetry.

David Sher also runs AmSher Collections, whose clients include the UAB Health Services Foundation, which is headed by Ray Watts.
06-23-2015 01:37 PM
kdblazer Offline
All American

(06-23-2015 12:01 PM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  I replied after David Sher (the author of the article) responded to a commenter in this manner: Albert, I do undertand that this was just not about football–but it’s also about being respectful. The decision makers at UAB/UA are not murderers, rapists, or wife beaters–but they were treated as such. By the way, Sher is past Chairman of the Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce (BBA),

My Reply:

Were they respectful of UAB and the UAB Community....I would say no. They jumped on Watts coat tail and rode it all the way until the UAB community turned up the heat on them.
06-23-2015 02:42 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

BlazerTalk Award
I don't think Watts would have ever done such an extreme thing without marching orders from the UA BOT. No state university administrator would dare to kill a university football team in this state unless he KNEW he was covered from above. NOTE that in spite of pleading a mea culpa regarding football, he is still making over $800,000 per year with no fuss from above him.
06-23-2015 04:26 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(06-23-2015 04:26 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  NOTE that in spite of pleading a mea culpa regarding football, he is still making over $800,000 per year with no fuss from above him.

Ray Watts' only apology has been a passive-voiced "regret" over how the announcement was made. He has never accepted responsibility for his blithering display of idiocy and incompetence that has cost the university $11 million and made UAB an international laughingstock.

There is only one "mea culpa" possible in this situation. Ray Watts has not done so, because he has no honor and he has no scruples. He is unworthy of respect and unworthy of the society of civilized beings. In a just world he would be denied fire and water within 200 miles of any human dwelling place.
06-23-2015 05:07 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFire Offline
1st String

I don't know Mr. Sher. But I haven't particularly cared for some of his stances. Several things in this latest – is offensive.

I did check out the link to: Buzz12, a division of Intermark Group.
That link carried me straight to Intermark's site.

I am quite familiar with Intermark. Well, I used to be extremely familiar with them. I suppose Mr. Sher must have sold out to Intermark. I'll keep those thoughts to myself. Good luck Mr. Sher.

I'd like to point out, that if you look at Intermark's clients – The University of Alabama is right there. The "Big A" is the very first client listed. Maybe the list is alphabetical? I didn't look. Explains a lot to me.

Did I say that I don't particularly care for many of his points – nor his style?
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 05:58 PM by BlazerFire.)
06-23-2015 05:57 PM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

David Sher answered my comments which I posted with the following:
Richard, As I stated in the first part of the blog–the process couldn’t have been handled more poorly. That being said, football is being reinstated and the BOT’s have been quiet. It now up to the students and UAB supporters to prove that football is viable. As I said in the above blog, ‘It’s critical that UAB football prosper. It’s important to Birmingham and it’s important to everyone who put their heart and soul into keeping it alive.”

I answered his reply in turn:
Just so you understand David that the reason that Watts mishandled the entire situation is because the football program was dropped with malice of forethought. Watts and the BOT may not be rapists and wife beaters, but we aren't dealing with choir boys who simply made bad decisions with good intentions. It was an blatant exhibition of unchecked and unchallengeable power by unscrupulous individuals with dishonorable intentions. We have every right to call out anyone who dares to defend them.
06-23-2015 06:00 PM
DrDragon Offline
Water Engineer

Here's my comment to David Sher. This guy drives me crazy.

*David, I always read your articles with interest, since I appreciate your love of Birmingham. However, your article above is another in a long line of misinformed opinion pieces about the events at UAB over the last 6-8 months. For the millionth time, this situation was not just about the loss of UAB football. The demise of the football program simply served as the last straw following a series of misguided decisions by Dr. Watts. Football served as the rallying point, but it was far from the only reason the revolt occurred.

You ask "where were the voices of support for UAB- our friend"? You seem to be making the mistake of confusing Dr. Watts for UAB. He made a series of ill-advised decisions (without input from any of the stakeholders at UAB) that ultimately led to votes of no confidence from the faculty, undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni. Shouldn't the real people that make UAB a great institution have a say? That is what shared governance is, and Ray Watts completely ignored them all.

A president at any other institution that lost the confidence of these four constituency groups would have long since been replaced, but it didn't happen here. Why? Some would say this is proof of a sinister plot by the UA system Board of Trustees (BOT). Perhaps that's true (or perhaps not). However, the BOT's refusal to listen to the unified voices of the faculty, students and alumni is damning in itself.

The UA System BOT needs to be reformed so a board that truly cares about UAB can finally govern our institution. Now THAT would be a huge first step toward making UAB great. An opinion piece that berates us for being mean to Ray Watts seems like a joke, but we're not laughing. This situation is much too serious for those that love UAB.*
06-23-2015 09:57 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

BlazerTalk Award
(06-23-2015 09:57 PM)DrDragon Wrote:  Here's my comment to David Sher. This guy drives me crazy.

*David, I always read your articles with interest, since I appreciate your love of Birmingham. However, your article above is another in a long line of misinformed opinion pieces about the events at UAB over the last 6-8 months. For the millionth time, this situation was not just about the loss of UAB football. The demise of the football program simply served as the last straw following a series of misguided decisions by Dr. Watts. Football served as the rallying point, but it was far from the only reason the revolt occurred.

You ask "where were the voices of support for UAB- our friend"? You seem to be making the mistake of confusing Dr. Watts for UAB. He made a series of ill-advised decisions (without input from any of the stakeholders at UAB) that ultimately led to votes of no confidence from the faculty, undergraduate students, graduate students, and alumni. Shouldn't the real people that make UAB a great institution have a say? That is what shared governance is, and Ray Watts completely ignored them all.

A president at any other institution that lost the confidence of these four constituency groups would have long since been replaced, but it didn't happen here. Why? Some would say this is proof of a sinister plot by the UA system Board of Trustees (BOT). Perhaps that's true (or perhaps not). However, the BOT's refusal to listen to the unified voices of the faculty, students and alumni is damning in itself.

The UA System BOT needs to be reformed so a board that truly cares about UAB can finally govern our institution. Now THAT would be a huge first step toward making UAB great. An opinion piece that berates us for being mean to Ray Watts seems like a joke, but we're not laughing. This situation is much too serious for those that love UAB.*

Beautiful.
06-23-2015 10:11 PM
Advertisement

Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
$&#% respectable.
06-24-2015 05:03 AM
FNblazer Offline
#freeuab

BlazerTalk Award
and $&#% 42!
06-24-2015 08:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.