Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Bayou Bucket Needs To Be Replaced w/ CUSA Peer
BoKnows Offline
Banned

I Root For: UAB Football
[Image: ffd18d.jpg]

Hey guys, I really think your rivalry with UNT is going to be your big game from here on out. It's important to have a rivalry game with a peer university.
I was thinking about a name for your game, and I came up with this (including trophy). The "Wings of Flight" Rivalry game will make for a great week on your campus. With your football team coming into its own, this game (North vs South) can be instrumental for the conference if we can make it a bankable grudge match. Since you both have winged mascots, it has a great symmetry to it.
06-21-2015 01:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

I Root For: Rice
RE: The Bayou Bucket Needs To Be Replaced w/ CUSA Peer
Please go away.
06-21-2015 01:43 PM
cr11owl Offline
All American

If only CUSA had a school Rice could call a peer...
06-21-2015 01:59 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(06-21-2015 01:38 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  [Image: ffd18d.jpg]

Hey guys, I really think your rivalry with UNT is going to be your big game from here on out. It's important to have a rivalry game with a peer university.
I was thinking about a name for your game, and I came up with this (including trophy). The "Wings of Flight" Rivalry game will make for a great week on your campus. With your football team coming into its own, this game (North vs South) can be instrumental for the conference if we can make it a bankable grudge match. Since you both have winged mascots, it has a great symmetry to it.

LOL where do you come up with this stuff?!?
06-21-2015 02:01 PM
baker-'13 Offline
2nd String

This is stupid even by your lofty standards of stupidity.
06-21-2015 02:14 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

This really is BO in disguise!
(06-08-2015 02:53 PM)Antarius Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 02:00 PM)owl95 Wrote:  
(06-08-2015 01:40 PM)MartelOwl_08 Wrote:  http://www.chron.com/sports/college/arti...313770.php

BO is that you?

03-lmfao
06-21-2015 02:22 PM
Advertisement

BoKnows Offline
Banned

(06-21-2015 01:59 PM)cr11owl Wrote:  If only CUSA had a school Rice could call a peer...

I'm bluntly speaking from the lens of popular perception. Your neighborhood is your peer group.
We all know that we have to build with the new CUSA. Rivalries build cred and tradition. Rice and UNT vie for the same caliber recruit. Many of them grew up playing together. Thus, to your players, this game is HUGE.
UNT has solid tradition with Hayden Frye, Joe Greene, and Steve Austin. Maybe the Rivalry game should be called the Stone Cold Series for the added panache.
Either way, the futures of Rice and UNT are aligned. Wouldn't it benefit everyone to build on that? Common vision.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 02:56 PM by BoKnows.)
06-21-2015 02:55 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

It looks like a slug having a seizure.

Universal ignore for this twit until he goes away, people. He's obviously having a go at us (and doing a piss poor job of it).
06-21-2015 03:50 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
What I find truly bizarre is that even if we give his basic argument some credence, it seems from events to date that UTSA is a far better candidate than UNT.
06-21-2015 04:21 PM
Wiessman Away
All American

I have no problem with accepting our circumstances and making the absolute best of them, whatever that might entail. Heck, let's make every game important and then go out and win them all.

I do have a problem with some muppet invading our board and posting drivel. C'mon people, wake up.
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 04:40 PM by Wiessman.)
06-21-2015 04:33 PM
Antarius Offline
Say no to cronyism

Wonder if we can create a special sub forum in the smack talk area just for this clown to spout his rah-rah C-USA bs
06-21-2015 05:37 PM
Advertisement

RiceDad Offline
1st String

I Root For:
DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I doubt that more than one or two players on the UNT roster could get in to Rice. It's a second or third tier school, at best.
06-21-2015 06:08 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

I give this post a 4/10 troll at best. A truly good troll post needs at least a few grains of truth and this doesn't contain any, so it fails in that regard. Choosing UTSA for the school might have gotten this to 5/10.
06-21-2015 06:55 PM
BoKnows Offline
Banned

(06-21-2015 06:55 PM)owl95 Wrote:  Choosing UTSA

IMO, UNT is the better choice because their football tradition. They are also the CUSA rep for DFW, which makes the Rice-UNT rivalry a game for the bragging rights over the two most fertile recruiting grounds in the state.

Not to mention that Rice has now stepped into UNTs old spot for the OOC paycheque games against UT, Baylor, etc. When Rice was in the SWC, that was UNTs game.

[Image: rice-north-texas-ncaaf.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 07:39 PM by BoKnows.)
06-21-2015 07:35 PM
Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
Don't feed the troll.
06-21-2015 07:56 PM
CrabCake Away
2nd String

I Root For: Underdogs
(06-21-2015 07:35 PM)BoKnows Wrote:  
(06-21-2015 06:55 PM)owl95 Wrote:  Choosing UTSA

IMO, UNT is the better choice because their football tradition. They are also the CUSA rep for DFW, which makes the Rice-UNT rivalry a game for the bragging rights over the two most fertile recruiting grounds in the state.

Not to mention that Rice has now stepped into UNTs old spot for the OOC paycheque games against UT, Baylor, etc. When Rice was in the SWC, that was UNTs game.

[Image: rice-north-texas-ncaaf.jpg]

This could have some potential - I think the North Texas vs. South Texas is an interesting thought.
06-21-2015 10:01 PM
Advertisement

Orange County Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice/Bradley/Iowa

New Orleans Bowl
Mods ... I think it's time (I'm coming around that this is actually a UH fan).
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2015 10:39 PM by Orange County Owl.)
06-21-2015 10:15 PM
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt

Bo you are spot on here 101.5%.
I. Other than UT, Baylor, LaTech, there is not a bigger game on Rice's 2015 football schedule. And of those only LaTech is an annual game. And of those only UNT is a big annual game against an important in-state rival within driving distance that isn't UTSA.
II. I agree again, although I note that you did misspell "pee".
III. "Wings of Flight" is a beautiful majestic name which is very inspirational and thank you for making the trophy. Also noted the symmetry of the wings as well as of the mascots is doubly symmetric. This is mostly inappropriate for the smash mouth sport of football, but since you didn't specify the sport we can use this one for basketball. For football maybe you can make us a "claws of talons" rivalry game trophy.
Tennis will be "beaks of ripping flesh". Or maybe not. Anyway bird species have so many symmetric parts that we can use a different one for each sport. Wings, thighs, gizzards - before long we'll have a REAL 15 piece original recipe bayou bucket.
IV. I have to apologize for any sports fans who are too shortsighted to see that eventually this could turn into a real rivalry. It's not like they've never managed to beat us. They did once. But we still won the conference that year.
V. Whether between us as C-USA competitors, or as future inter-conference Rivals representing the ACC and Big 21, I certainly see this as an important, if not lop-sided, rivalry game.
06-21-2015 10:34 PM
JustAnotherAustinOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
I actually think the Bayou Bucket works well outside the conference rivalry. It's a good OOC game for both of us, and even when it's a 'road' game, there's no travel involved. Win-win.
06-22-2015 08:08 AM
gsloth Offline
perpetually tired

I Root For: Rice&underdogs

Donators
That's right - because a non-conference rivalry would never work for Iowa and Iowa State (Cy-Hawk), Army/Navy/Air Force (President's Trophy), Notre Dame/USC (Jeweled Shillelagh), Oklahoma/Texas (pre-Big 12 - Red River Shootout), Colorado/CSU (Centennial Cup), and SMU/TCU (Iron Skillet), among others.

Too much wasted on this thread already.
06-22-2015 10:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.