Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Walt at 27
Bookmark and Share
50Cent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Walt at 27
Sporting news ranked the baseball gms.

Walt at 27. Down a slot from last year (26).

Every other team in division in top 8.

06-05-2015 08:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
RE: Walt at 27
27 seems a bit high to me.

06-05-2015 11:14 AM
rath v2.0 Online
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
He was pretty good in GDubs' first term.

06-05-2015 01:28 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
To an extent, the results speak for themselves, but I think that may be a bit harsh. My biggest gripe with him over the past year has been the failure to address LF adequately. I don't hold Byrd's injury against him (although at age 37 it's hardly surprising) but aside from a crazy week or so of production, he was pretty awful as a starting LF. Other decisions haven't worked out, but a lot of them were low risk (Marquis and Gregg to an extent) or due in part to simply unpredictable injuries (Mes obviously and Bailey and Marshall - even though those contracts were signed earlier). Price hasn't impressed but I think he's at least started to try to make smart changes even if he results aren't there.

The bad decisions have been pretty well pointed out, but he did make some decisions that are looking good. The Latos for Disco trade has a lot of long term potential benefit. He gets criticized for inaction and justifiably so at times, but you've also got to give him some credit for patience. A lot of people were desperate to replace and/or dump Cozart and BP for pennies on the dollar (and Votto as well for some). Both are playing well enough to establish value in the trade market if/when it comes to that and he acquired a promising replacement for either in Suarez. A lot of folks wanted to dump Bruce and I'm glad he didn't even if Bruce hasn't necessarily proven them wrong as of yet. Pitching wise you could put Hoover on that list of "gotta go" according to many fans this offseason, but he seems to be rebounding. Mattheus looks like he could possibly be a nice find for the bullpen.

I can't say I'm happy with the job Walt is doing, but I don't think it's fair to lay everything at his feet even if the buck ultimately stops there.

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 03:56 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
06-05-2015 02:05 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Jason Marquis DFA'd as Reds start 'youth movement'

John Fay, jfay@enquirer.com 4:41 p.m. EDT June 5, 2015

[Image: 635682067264087919-052515-REDS-ROCKIES-KE-760.jpg]
Bryan Price pulls Reds starting pitcher Jason Marquis out of the game in the sixth inning.
(Photo: The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar)

Right-hander Rasiel Iglesias has a strained oblique. That's why right-hander Jon Moscot is starting tonight.

The big move came to open the spot for Moscot, who was not on the 40-man roster.

The Reds designated veteran right-hander Jason Marquis for assignment. Right-hander Pedro Villarreal was called up from Triple-A Louisville. Iglesias was placed on the disabled list.

"We are kind of going with our youth movement and see if they're ready here," Reds manager Bryan Price said. "We've seen that with (Anthony) DeSclafani, then (Michael) Lorenzen, then Iglesias and now Moscot. It's the way we've decided to go to give these guys the opportunity to come and be the rotation."

"... You're looking at our future. I don't think we anticipated Iglesias, Lorenzen and Moscot all being in our rotation at the same time to go with DeSclafani. ... I never would have anticipated that in early June we'd have all these guys on our roster and throwing so well," Price added.

"It's exciting."

Marquis, 37, was 3-4 with a 6.46 ERA in nine starts. The Reds took him out of the rotation to put Iglesias in. Marquis hasn't pitched since he was taken out of the rotation.

"It's tough when a guy has had a lot of success at the major league level," Price said, "and has put a lot of work in to get back to the big leagues."

Moscot, 23, was the team's fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft. He was 7-1 with a 3.15 ERA for the Louisville Bats. He went six innings and allowed one run on four hits in his last start.

"We thought Jon would inevitably debut some time this year," Price said. "He's been our best Triple-A starter. He's a kid we've liked. We see him as one of our best pitching prospects. He'd done everything he needs to do at the Triple-A level at this point in time.

"We like him not only for his stuff. We like his makeup, his competitiveness. There's a lot of good things we hear from our player development department as far as his readiness."

Moscot's only has had one bad start this year. He allowed eight runs on 11 hits two starts ago.

Moscot spent most of last year at Double-A Pensacola, where he was 7-10 with a 3.13 ERA.

He will be the fourth rookie starter the Reds have used.

Iglesias suffered the injury in his last start. He had an MRI and treatment. But he felt pain when he last tested it.

"It's one of those things that could definitely get worse," Price said. "If it gets worse, it can be extended time on disabled list, so we decided to go the safe route."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog.../28556507/

06-05-2015 05:12 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Jon Moscot will start for Raisel Iglesias tonight

John Fay, jfay@enquirer.com 4:47 p.m. EDT June 5, 2015

[Image: 635609046556396180-030215-Spring-Training2649.jpg]
SPRING TRAINING Mon., March 2, 2015 GOODYEAR, ARIZONA Non-roster invitee pitcher Jon Moscot throws during a bullpen session at spring training, Monday, March 2, 2015, in Goodyear, Arizona.
The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar (Photo: The Enquirer/Kareem Elgazzar, The Cincinnati Enquirer)

Right-hander Jon Moscot will start tonight against the San Diego Padres in the place of Raisel Iglesias. The Reds did not initially say why Iglesias will not start, but later announced that he's been placed on the disabled list with a strained left oblique.

The Reds also recalled pitcher Pedro Villarreal, and designated pitcher Jason Marquis for assignment.

Moscot, 23, was the team's fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft. He is 7-1 with a 3.15 ERA for the Louisville Bats this season. He went six innings and allowed one run on four hits in his last start.

He only has had one bad start this year. He allowed eight runs on 11 hits two starts ago.

Moscot spent most of last year at Double-A Pensacola, where he was 7-10 with a 3.13 ERA.

He will be the fourth rookie starter the Reds have used this season.

Reaction from Moscot via Twitter:

Quote:Jon Moscot @JonnyMoscot

3 yrs ago the Reds called on draft day. Tonight I get to live out my dream in front of my family & friends. Words cant describe this feeling
2:32 PM - 5 Jun 2015

The club did not announce corresponding moves. A spot on the 40-man as well as the 25-man will have to be opened.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog.../28544109/

06-05-2015 05:34 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
No timetable for Marlon Byrd's return to Reds

C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:01 p.m. EDT June 5, 2015

[Image: 635672445770427294-051415RedsGiants-19.jpg]
Reds left fielder Marlon Byrd returns to the dugout after his home run to left field during the bottom of the eighth inning Thursday against the Giants.
(Photo: The Enquirer/Sam Greene)

Reds left fielder Marlon Byrd said he won't really know what the next step is with his fractured right wrist for another week. That's when the wrist injury will be reevaluated.

"We're hopeful I'm a fast healer, we're hopefully it'll heal enough I can start to move it," Byrd said on Friday. "But again, after seven days, we'll play it by ear."

Byrd suffered the fracture when he was hit by an 81-mph pitch from Phillies starter Sean O'Sullivan in Tuesday's loss. X-rays revealed the fracture and on Wednesday he traveled back to Cincinnati to be examined. He was put on the disabled list that afternoon.

"When it hits the right spot, a fracture will happen," Byrd said. "It may have been there before, something old and this just disrupted it. It got me in the right spot."

Byrd attempted to stay in the game after being hit — playing in the field in the bottom of the sixth. He fielded a ball and threw it in during his half-inning in the field with the fractured wrist.

"I was throwing, and it felt good enough," Byrd said. "Then I knew when I came up the next inning, I was sixth up and I needed to go check it out and see if I could swing to give the guys on the bench a chance if I couldn't. The first swing I tried, it felt too uncomfortable to go full-force, so I told Jay I couldn't swing."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog.../28558127/

06-05-2015 05:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.