UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scarbo: No Gene Bartow proteges among UAB's AD finalists? Coincidence?
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
Scarbo: No Gene Bartow proteges among UAB's AD finalists? Coincidence?
04-29-2015 07:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Agent Orange Sauce Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB Rifle
RE: Scarbo: No Gene Bartow proteges among UAB's AD finalists? Coincidence?
Dropped the ball already not making Marla Townsend a finalist.
04-29-2015 08:50 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Quote:His stated deadline to choose a new athletics director is May 1. That's Friday. It still seems foolish to choose an AD before the administration-approved firm, CSS, completes its study and UAB decides whether to reinstate the three sports. More than one candidate made that point to the search committee, but the process continues.

Not only foolish but another Ray Watts Lie. (I lost count a long time ago) He originally stated that the AD would come after the search is completed. Why is Ray pushing for the AD to be named before the study is complete?

I shudder to think what Watts is telling these three. "Football is not coming back and we are moving forward. I expect you to move us forward without football." I can only guess..... ;-)

I have heard also he is not happy that a certain candidate he was pushing didn't make the top three.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 08:56 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
04-29-2015 08:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jthrashr Offline
1st String

I have to think that if there were any highly qualified Bartow proteges, the selection committee knows that Ray wouldn't pick them.

I think an outsider is best right now—no ties to the Ray Ray cabal and no ties to UAB athletics, so both sides lose/win.
04-29-2015 09:04 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(04-29-2015 08:50 AM)Agent Orange Sauce Wrote:  Dropped the ball already not making Marla Townsend a finalist.

Maybe she wasn't interested. Just speculating.
04-29-2015 09:17 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
She was not and quite frankly is not qualified. That said, I love Marla. She is a great person whom I respect.
04-29-2015 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

grendelson138 Offline
Special Teams

I hadn't thought of the Bartow connections until this column. It would be nice to have that lineage, but I don't think it's required to succeed here.

From what I can tell, anyone with an average intellect should be able to out maneuver Ray and the BOT band of brothers.

That said, ignoring Bartow's influence is another example of the marketing and public relations failures that plague UAB...even before this nightmare scenario. Bartow's legacy and his story should be celebrated and marketed more often than once a year. UAB has a significant history and a great story. It could be leveraged in a million ways to promote our university both locally and nationally.

I'm sure people behind the scenes know more than I do, but I've never understood why our marketing has been so limp and insignificant.
04-29-2015 09:32 AM
The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
I'm sure it's a lack of funds, hamstrung by the bot, etc., but I have also always thought that our marketing and advertisement sucks terribly.
04-29-2015 09:41 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

They have spent more money is the Ray Watts commercials in four months than UAB marketing has to spend two entire years. It may be three years.
04-29-2015 09:44 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
One of the great frustrations of this whole charade, to me anyway, is that the athletic department really did need a thorough review and overhaul - UAB was not getting its money's worth.

Good marketing requires skill and money. That we had neither does not excuse the suckage. Yes, Ray's flung millions at marketing himself but the truly savage beating we've given his mercenaries proves it's not all about money.
04-29-2015 09:53 AM
KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

This push by Watts to have a new AD selected by Friday is just another indication he doesn't care what the task force concludes through the upcoming CSS report.
04-29-2015 09:56 AM
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

Bingo.
04-29-2015 10:00 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
No, I think that it is yet another indication that he is actively trying to shove a stick in the spokes. He wants his own way. He's smarter and knows more about how things should work than anyone else. He only put those committees in place as a stall to allow more time for things to calm down. It's even working, he was able to actually hand out diplomas and shake most hands at this graduation, where he did not dare to even attempt it last time.

The nominees are public, and it is evident in looking at them that they are qualified. If he brushes them aside and installs the AD of his choosing, the power play will be quite evident. That does not mean that he won't do it.

We've got to keep the pressure on and make his life miserable in any way we can. Keep shining a light on his lies and misdeeds, and don't stop giving them hell.
04-29-2015 10:03 AM
ICB Offline
Heisman

Can someone explain to me why the order matters?

A. Watts hires AD > Reports comes back > Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football

vs

B. Report comes back > Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football > Watts hires AD

or some have even alluded to C.

C. Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football > Watts hires AD > Report comes back

Unless there is a Watts gets fired somewhere in the time table, im not convinced it matters.
04-29-2015 10:10 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

(04-29-2015 10:03 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  No, I think that it is yet another indication that he is actively trying to shove a stick in the spokes. He wants his own way. He's smarter and knows more about how things should work than anyone else. He only put those committees in place as a stall to allow more time for things to calm down. It's even working, he was able to actually hand out diplomas and shake most hands at this graduation, where he did not dare to even attempt it last time.

The nominees are public, and it is evident in looking at them that they are qualified. If he brushes them aside and installs the AD of his choosing, the power play will be quite evident. That does not mean that he won't do it.

We've got to keep the pressure on and make his life miserable in any way we can. Keep shining a light on his lies and misdeeds, and don't stop giving them hell.

E.J. Brophy would have been my choice, but we all knew that it wasn't going to happen. However, the fact that a current AD who who has served in that position at two schools, who had a great reputation when he worked in UAB Athletic Department, and who is a genuine nice guy, did not even make it into the top three candidates may show the influence that Watts had over at least some of the committee members. I am having a real hard time believing that EJ didn't have better qualifications and wouldn't have interviewed better than at least one of the top three candidates. Of course we don't know the inside story - perhaps EJ took himself out of the running. If he did, I wouldn't blame him. Can anyone with the inside story speak to EJ's status as a candidate?

That said, if the committee didn't nominate Watts' top choice, that says somehing about their integrity.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 10:25 AM by CajunBlazer.)
04-29-2015 10:24 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

(04-29-2015 10:10 AM)ICB Wrote:  Can someone explain to me why the order matters?

A. Watts hires AD > Reports comes back > Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football

vs

B. Report comes back > Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football > Watts hires AD

or some have even alluded to C.

C. Watts decides whether or not to reinstate football > Watts hires AD > Report comes back

Unless there is a Watts gets fired somewhere in the time table, im not convinced it matters.

It probably doesn't, but it further shows Watts to be a tyrant who doesn't care about shared governance. Ideally, you wait for the report, decide whether to reinstate, and then hire an AD based on your reinstatement decision. That decision could affect your candidate pool and your hiring decision.

Watts already has made a decision because he doesn't care what the UAB stakeholders think. That's why he is ruined as a leader.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2015 10:34 AM by the Dragon.)
04-29-2015 10:33 AM
Advertisement

UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I keep hearing that the AD candidates are being told, probably by the headhunters, that football isn't coming back and that there is not enough of a donor base to sustain it. I'd love for this meeting to happen and a significant financial commitment to bring football back to be announced before the AD is.

I strongly suspect that the candidates have been reading this board to get a sense of what the feelings of the fans are. They need to know that Watts is at the very best not supported by anyone but the board, and at worst that he is a lame duck who is serving out the final few months of the worst and most loathsome presidency in UAB history. Pay no attention to anything the man says, the only thing that has been consistent with him are the lies that come out of his mouth.

Whatever funds have been raised, if they are announced at this ATF meeting, are just phase one. They have been raised informally, quietly, behind the scenes, without any support by and with the active discouragement of the UAB administration. Watts and his toadies are not going to be in the driver's seat much longer. The steady flow of negative articles, of unearthed scandals, of common sense editorials, is going to continue until he gets turned out of office. The Board of Trustees will only retain him for so long. When they tire of the scrutiny and pressure they will discard him like a used kleenex, and with as little thought about it.

These are solid candidates for the AD job. If he end runs the process and puts in someone else, his motivation and contempt for the process he himself initiated will be yet again obvious. If he plays games with it, our scorn and efforts against him need to be redoubled.
04-29-2015 10:36 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

Or to answer more briefly - the only reason that I can think of for Watts to push for the AD hire to happen first is as an attempt to neutralize the CSS report. He knows damn well that the Carr report was a steaming pile of bull that won't stand up to scrutiny. He wants to get his choice in before that storm breaks.

Even if he does choose from among these three nominees, he will choose the one that he thinks will be most likely to cooperate with him, be pushed or bullied. He'll choose the one who he thinks will be most likely to emphasize basketball and soccer and to not rock the boat regarding football. We can hope that he's wrong in his pick, that they have more guts or smarts than he thinks, but he's going to make the choice according to what he thinks plays out best for his plan.
04-29-2015 10:45 AM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(04-29-2015 10:45 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  Or to answer more briefly - the only reason that I can think of for Watts to push for the AD hire to happen first is as an attempt to neutralize the CSS report. He knows damn well that the Carr report was a steaming pile of bull that won't stand up to scrutiny. He wants to get his choice in before that storm breaks.

Even if he does choose from among these three nominees, he will choose the one that he thinks will be most likely to cooperate with him, be pushed or bullied. He'll choose the one who he thinks will be most likely to emphasize basketball and soccer and to not rock the boat regarding football. We can hope that he's wrong in his pick, that they have more guts or smarts than he thinks, but he's going to make the choice according to what he thinks plays out best for his plan.

I don't have a very firm idea why Watts is doing this now, but I keep remembering one thing:

Ray Watts and the Board have continually surprised us with their utter lack of ethics, their willingness to tell blatant lies, their complete disregard for the opinion of stakeholders or the public, and their total disinterest in the best interests of the university or the people of Alabama.

What I can tell for sure is that the new AD is going to have to declare himself very quickly, probably at his introductory press conference. He'll be asked about football within the first 10 seconds, and a failure to answer (or Bakken/Watts refusing to let the question be answered) tells us everything we'll need to know.

No matter what lies Watts may tell, it's not about football. "Football" has become symbolic of "a comprehensive university committed to excellence in ALL endeavors." I will not rest until we are once again on course for that. Watts and his Commitment to Failure must go.
04-29-2015 11:36 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

I think Band Dad is right.

Even under normal circumstances, there would be no reason to rush. The report will be out in a matter of weeks. The athletic department is not on fire. I'm sure the interim athletic director would be able to hold the fort for a little longer. Dr. Watts likely set a deadline with intentions of luring some random to do his bidding under the allure of the position and pay that comes with it. It's just that none of the finalists fit in that context. They all have a personal connection to college football, and, likely, understand how important it currently is to an institution. Still, you never know what will go down.

It's sure to be an interesting press conference, at least.
04-29-2015 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.