Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Who has the better linebackers?
Bookmark and Share
BuckeyeStu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

A few preview magazines have listed Iowa as having the best LB corps in the Big 10, but I don't see how it is better than tOSU's.

A.J. Hawk is an All american and the best in the Big 10. Anthony Schlegal, the transfer from Air Force was the best player in the Mountain West conference and a team Captain. Mike D'Andrea and Bobby Carpenter are incredible physical specimens that should finally seem the field. John Kerr was Indiana's leading tackler as a freshman and I beleive the Big 10 freshman of the year before transfering to tOSU. What does Iowa have that is better than that? Please enlighten me.
06-23-2004 07:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

This is no contest. OSU has the best linebackers in the nation, not just the Big Ten. They go two deep at every linebacker position.
06-23-2004 08:40 PM
MooseHB Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

In terms of depth, I would even have to say OSU.
05-nono
But when it comes to documented performance by starting LB's, the contest is much closer. Abdul Hodge led the B10 in tackles last year, Chad Greenway was 3rd. Some of that is the system, but much is a result of the efforts of these two men. Kyle Williams is a top recruit for 2004, and will see the field early and often. George Lewis and Ed Miles would be #1 LB's at a lot of schools (including most of the B10), but wait patiently for their opportunity.

Also note that much of the comparison deals with recruiting rankings for players who have yet to see PT. Recruiting rankings are a caveat emptor in terms of eventual performance. The Hawkeyes offer several great examples of inaccurate rankings, both good and bad, but generally Hawkeye players seem to perform beyond those expectations.

Some include DE as part of a LB corps. If that is the case, Matt Roth measures favorably to any comparison. Jonathan Babineaux is solid, and will make a smooth transition from DT to the end, which is his more natural position.

No knock on OSU's LB corps, it is tough and deep. But there is a contest; the Hawks in the mirror are much closer than they appear, or that some would posit.
06-24-2004 12:04 PM
Advertisement

cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

Iowa may have the second best linebackers in the nation, but OSU keeps throwing guys in your face.

Hawk, Carpenter, Schlegel, and D'Andrea to name a few. And those are the ones we know about. More will emerge this season.
06-24-2004 04:20 PM
King Boiler Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I nailed last years Best Linebacking Corp in the Big Ten with Purdue's, who had all three drafted and as a unit were the best.

This year it is no doubt Ohio St., they got excellent starters whoever they will be , and they will have depth to throw guys at you all day.

Will be interesting to see how Tressel and Defensive Co-ordinator play em, if they throw fresh legs in they can do things that no linebacking corp likely ever did.
Where do you start?
Hawk a returning starter
Schlegel a excellent transfer (unfair-unfair)
A'ndrea the guy everyone said was the best
Kerr another transfer from Ind. U.,who may find it difficult to get plays
Carpenter athelete with size
I'm sure the other guys are just as bad as these.

Iowa does have two good linebackers, but the third hasn't impressed me with who they got stepping in.

My Boilers must rely on bigger sized, faster and raw talent guys.
Brock Spack will blitz more this year but next year is when our young guys will be more known.
Hall is a Niko Koutivides mold guy winning the hammer award.
Iwuchukuwu is a playmaker on big plays
Keglar is likely the most raw and yet best
Goldsberry (5th Sr.) has been a backup last 3 yrs and Fullback when needed.

OSU
IOWA
MICH
after that it thickens up.

Purdue beating on I0wa this year
:chair:
BoilerUp

King Boiler
06-24-2004 06:38 PM
Advertisement

jason3kidd Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

You Buckeyes do have a great linebacking corps. Don't get me wrong, I would argue with anybody that OSU has the best [I]group[I] in the country. However, Iowa has arguably two of the best 3 starters, and some Super Sophs that will step and perform very well. My point? OSU is close, but Iowa's top 2 are just too good to not put their starters at the top of the list. Overall, OSU is better, but those starters in IC are just too good.
06-24-2004 08:41 PM
cbfranchise3 Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

jason3kidd Wrote:Overall, OSU is better, but those starters in IC are just too good.
Hawk is the best linebacker in the country.
06-24-2004 11:38 PM
Advertisement

King Boiler Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

wouldn't go that far and say he was the best, that hasn't been proven to anyone yet.

But he is good, but others may be better on this team.
06-25-2004 02:24 AM
Gatorama Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I agree that for depth it is Ohio State.

:)
06-25-2004 07:38 AM
Advertisement

BuckeyeStu Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think Hawk is the best in the country. Did anyone see in the Fiest bowl last year where he body slammed Sproles with one arm? That was great, he is a monster.
06-25-2004 12:50 PM
Go Wolverines! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

I think that, unfortunantly, OSU has the best LB's, but UI is a close second.
06-25-2004 01:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.