Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

SJWs get Women kicked out of Calgary Expo
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
The SJWs are tyrants. They'll do anything to shut up those who disagree with them. They promote hatred and violence while doing so.

So they attacked a completely innocent group at Calgary Expo.

http://honeybadgerbrigade.com/2015/04/18...gary-expo/

Innocent except for badthink.

Quote:Early this morning, Fan Expo Canada staff (See edit notice at bottom) banned Honey Badger Brigade (HBB) from the Calgary Comics and Entertainment Expo (CalEx). Security staff approached the HBB booth, ordered us to leave, and refused to state the reason why unless Alison Tieman agreed to speak to them away from the other members of the group, without recording. They informed Alison that they had received complaints on social media, including 25 allegations of harassment. No evidence was presented, no request was made for information from HBB, and no specific incident was cited until further questions were asked of security.

Upon further questioning, security mentioned the Women in Comics panel discussion from the previous day, where Alison was given permission to speak. Alison spoke briefly in relation to a topic brought up by the panelists. Accusers, however, claimed that Alison derailed the conversation. Alison and myself were in attendance, and you can listen to Alison’s statement in the panel here on YouTube. You can hear Alison, myself and indeed the entire panel in the full discussion record.

As you will hear, there was no harrassment. Expo staff and mob rule, in their crusade for ending harassment against women, harassed the Honey Badgers despite having no evidence of any policy violation. To those unfamiliar, HBB was founded by three women and has a highly diverse staff of volunteers, creators and lovers of free expression. Alison Tieman, a woman who spent 7 years writing graphic novels and fighting censorship, was censored by other women for speaking her mind, and advocating equal compassion for men, and true strength in character for women.

We ask all involved to question what it means to provide an open forum, and to examine how CalEx treats it’s patrons and exhibitors. Do they provide a safe space from harassment, or a safe space for the people who want to define what harassment means?

Please send press inquiries to xenospora@gmail.com for more information as the story develops. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter.

EDIT: Sources indicate that involved parties include Ben Marasco and Kelly Dowd, not Fan Expo. Our apologies go out to Fan Expo for any false association.

And I echo w/ the supporter who wrote this:

Quote:This is what we are up against. This is why I will never back down, why I will never ever apologize for thinking, speaking, and writing freely.

Yeah, that applies here too.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2015 02:39 PM by DrTorch.)
04-18-2015 01:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CameramanJ Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
RE: SJWs get Women kicked out of Calgary Expo
Sounds like SJW business as usual. Build hugbox, fill hugbox with copies of their own opinions, and then play victim by labeling any challenges to the hugbox as harassment. We're all harassers, guilty of badthink if we so much as look at someone else guilty of badthink. It makes for entertaining Twitter, especially since the SJWs constantly say the wrong things and the opposition habitually screencaps those tweets.
04-18-2015 04:41 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
04-19-2015 07:25 AM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-19-2015 07:25 AM)58-56 Wrote:  From the other side:

http://comicsalliance.com/honey-badger-r...gary-expo/

I've been working in Calgary for 7 months out of the last 2 years. Its a very conservative place, even compared to the American South.

That being said, I think the issue in this case, is that Alberta operates a bit differently. They do things much more conservative than the USA, such as massive (and I mean massive) state subsidies of religious schools. But they also don't like, from a cultural perspective, the politicization of non-political events. The organizers probably just didn't want the headache of having what might be considered a political group in their convention. But understand that from a Canadian perspective, many look at our hyper political culture and say "no thanks".

Conservatives, and especially religious conservatives, hold just about every lever of power in Alberta, and in Calgary.
04-19-2015 10:44 AM
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline

(04-19-2015 10:44 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

I've been working in Calgary for 7 months out of the last 2 years. Its a very conservative place, even compared to the American South.

That being said, I think the issue in this case, is that Alberta operates a bit differently. They do things much more conservative than the USA, such as massive (and I mean massive) state subsidies of religious schools. But they also don't like, from a cultural perspective, the politicization of non-political events. The organizers probably just didn't want the headache of having what might be considered a political group in their convention. But understand that from a Canadian perspective, many look at our hyper political culture and say "no thanks".

Conservatives, and especially religious conservatives, hold just about every lever of power in Alberta, and in Calgary.

What a coincidence. You just happen to be working at every international locale that gets mentioned here. Amazing.

And your comment is irrelevant to the thread too.
04-19-2015 12:23 PM
DrTorch Offline

Thanks that's worth looking at

Reading through it note

Quote:The reason that the Honey Badger Radio group was shut down is that they were exhibiting against the rules of CalgaryExpo. Their crowdfunding campaign said:

In April of this year, the Honey Badgers plan to put on a booth at the Calgary Comics and Entertainment Expo! We plan to infiltrate nerd culture cunningly disguised as their own. Each of us has been carefully crafting a persona of nerdiness through decades of dedication to comics, science fiction, fantasy, comedy games and other geekery, waiting for this moment, our moment to slip among the unaware. Once there we will start distributing the totalitarian message that nerd and gamer culture is… perfectly wonderful just as it is and should be left alone to go it’s own way.

That in itself is not against the rules

They spend a lot of time on something they admit is not against the rules.

But they follow with

Quote:That in itself is not against the rules; where the group got into trouble is that they acquired exhibitor space under false pretenses. Their show is broadcast by a men’s rights activist (MRA) site, A Voice For Men, which is categorized as a “woman hating” website by the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that monitors hate groups and extremists.

First, what does the SPLC have to do w/ anything? It's a known hate group, so that's a concern too. Second, these are straw men comments, b/c Honey Badgers publish a comic! This expo is about comics, Honey Badgers came with comics!

So that's one falsehood.

Furthermore consider, that it was the forum that held a discussion panel re: feminism. So, is this supposed to be about comics or not?

Quote:“We will be available at our booth for all four days. We’re in stealth mode due to concerns about *ahem* people of a certain persuasion deciding to hassle the con organizers over having us space lepers at the show.”

The group knew that people would have a problem with their attendance,

So the author admits that Honey Badgers would be targets. That's a confession of guilt right there, after it came to fruition.

Then we have this,
Quote:In addition to this, the group also disrupted a panel yesterday. One of the panelists gave The Mary Sue this account:

Which is in stark contrast to the Honey Badgers who actually provide the video links. The offenders provide hearsay, the victims provide actual evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymkIiGRvtBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyBfJuvopPg

Finally, notice how this page made no mention of Allison getting pulled aside by male security, who would not let her record their comments, nor let her peers be with her. That sort of intimidation is exactly what feminists are supposed to oppose.

I'm glad to listen to the other side, they proved their own guilt.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 01:15 PM by DrTorch.)
04-19-2015 01:03 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(04-19-2015 12:23 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 10:44 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

What a coincidence. You just happen to be working at every international locale that gets mentioned here. Amazing.

And your comment is irrelevant to the thread too.

LOL. Believe me or not. Your choice. I've spent the last 10 years primarily working outside the USA. That, hopefully is winding down a bit. Its not fun much of the time (Calgary has its charms, but its expensive and very conservative and this year it started snowing on 9 September).

I go dark on this board from time to time. That usually means..."Tom is working outside the country". That's not a sign that I'm in demand as much as it is a sign that "Tom is willing to go abroad to work (and in the Canadian context, doesn't have any DUI's)". It ain't rock star stuff. Its back of the plane travel. Its getting up at 4am every Monday morning to fly somewhere and work the whole day and getting back at 2am Friday morning. Its dealing with US Customs and CBSA twice a week. Visa issues. Flight delays. Unfamiliar beds. Food. And if I'm in Colombia, you can add security, altitude, and language issues to the mix. In Spain, you have a toxic work environment too that can make it very difficult to get your job done (plus jet lag). The fact that I go abroad to work isn't a sign that I'm the most in demand resource - its actually the opposite.

---

Americans frequently make the mistake of thinking that you can extrapolate American political discourse onto Canada. It doesn't really work that way. People are all over the map and identity politics doesn't match as much with partisan affiliation as it might here. But Canadians seem to be very wary of US style partisanship. And they don't want to go to comic book fair to deal with politics.
(This post was last modified: 04-19-2015 02:09 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
04-19-2015 01:49 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
You can't tell me that you have an Expo with these inane "wymmin's issues" panels and then go and say the HBB disrupted things by bringing political stuff to a non-political event. It sounds to me like the organizers simply didn't want any opposing points of view to be presented. That would be par for the course for Canadian liberal feminist zealots, who are infamous for disrupting MRA meetings (there was one case where they pulled a fire alarm).

The article that 58-56 posted listing avoiceformen as a haaaaaaate group should show you that these folks are not interested in rational dialogue.
04-20-2015 08:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.