Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hey Buddy. Wanna Buy a Lion?
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...sense.html

It’s a scandal that’s been quietly rocking zoos all around the world. For nearly a decade now, an increasing number of zookeepers at smaller zoos and animal parks have been taken in by an embarrassing scam. Several years after they acquire one or more lions and put them on display, a sharp-eyed zoo-goer points out that the so-called lions are nothing more than carefully coiffed dogs. But now, mortified zookeepers can breathe a sigh of relief, because a solution to the fake-lion problem is at hand. After intensive collaboration with the Université Joseph Fourier in France, a coalition of veterinarians and zookeepers has developed a genetic test, dubbed LionDetect, that quickly and efficiently determines whether or not a newly acquired lion is the genuine article or a mastiff with a mane. The test isn’t perfect; it can’t yet sound the alarm when someone tries to sell a rubber snake, a fake panda, or a bogus snow leopard to an animal park. Nevertheless, zoo personnel everywhere are breathing a sigh of relief now that they’re a lot less likely to be mortified by the acquisition of a phony lion.

Yet just last week, a scientist at the Université Joseph Fourier did almost the exact same test—not for the business of animal parks, but for the business of scientific publishing. In collaboration with the Springer publishing house, he released SciDetect, a computer program that spots a particular category of phony papers that has been plaguing computer science publications. (Just last year Springer had to pull 18 fake papers, while another publisher, IEEE, had to pull more than 100.) “SciDetect indicates whether an entire document or its parts are genuine or not,” the press release brags. “The software reports suspicious activity by relying on sensitivity thresholds that can be easily adjusted.” Great news, right? Not so much. For the fake papers it aims to detect—which are generated by an algorithm known as SCIgen—are the shaved mastiffs of the computer science world. They are so obviously fake that nobody who has any business being within 10 feet of a computer science journal would fail to spot them with even the most careless examination. A technological solution is completely unnecessary. So why did Springer spend so much time and effort (and presumably money) to build SciDetect?

Yet just last week, a scientist at the Université Joseph Fourier did almost the exact same test—not for the business of animal parks, but for the business of scientific publishing. In collaboration with the Springer publishing house, he released SciDetect, a computer program that spots a particular category of phony papers that has been plaguing computer science publications. (Just last year Springer had to pull 18 fake papers, while another publisher, IEEE, had to pull more than 100.) “SciDetect indicates whether an entire document or its parts are genuine or not,” the press release brags. “The software reports suspicious activity by relying on sensitivity thresholds that can be easily adjusted.” Great news, right? Not so much. For the fake papers it aims to detect—which are generated by an algorithm known as SCIgen—are the shaved mastiffs of the computer science world. They are so obviously fake that nobody who has any business being within 10 feet of a computer science journal would fail to spot them with even the most careless examination. A technological solution is completely unnecessary. So why did Springer spend so much time and effort (and presumably money) to build SciDetect?
04-02-2015 09:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Hey Buddy. Wanna Buy a Lion?
(04-02-2015 09:47 AM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...sense.html

It’s a scandal that’s been quietly rocking zoos all around the world. For nearly a decade now, an increasing number of zookeepers at smaller zoos and animal parks have been taken in by an embarrassing scam. Several years after they acquire one or more lions and put them on display, a sharp-eyed zoo-goer points out that the so-called lions are nothing more than carefully coiffed dogs.

Sounds like something that could have been posted yesterday.

Wonder if this one will wind up in the zoo?

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]
04-02-2015 09:59 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Really? I swear I think could tell the difference.
04-02-2015 11:37 AM
Advertisement

VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
(04-02-2015 11:37 AM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  Really? I swear I think could tell the difference.

Which is why I through it could have been posted yesterday as an April Fools joke. I mean, if a zoo employee can't distinguish between a damn lion and a dog, then, well, not sure what to say about that.
04-02-2015 12:37 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
A lion will roar around sunset; so that should be a non-issue within a day's time. Lions also spray when they roar, so it should be pretty obvious as well.
04-02-2015 09:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.