UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"Chemical Engineering" and How the UAB Admin is Showing Their Hand Again
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
"Chemical Engineering" and How the UAB Admin is Showing Their Hand Again
Dr. Lucas made an enlightening remark when she mentioned the lack of Chemical Engineering a UAB. Look at all the Biomedical Engineering programs in the AL/MS/LA/TN/GA/FL area (or nationwide for that matter). How many of them exist without a Chemical Engineering department? There may be a couple, only one I can find is Memphis (not a great example of a BME department).

There is a reason for this. For one, BME is frequently an off-shoot of Chemical Engineering because of the overlap in many skill sets (mass transport and diffusion of molecules, engineered materials and drugs, biological force transduction through fluids, etc...).

The other point is look at all the Chemical Engineering departments that are "Chemical and Biological Engineering" or something similar. The fields are merging. Without ChemE at UAB (which if I remember correctly we did try to get ChemE at UAB while Lucas was Dean), going forward UAB BME would be at a disadvantage in recruiting faculty for BME with heavy ChemE ties. Notice how UAT has Chemical and Biological Engineering? They're purposely stepping on UAB's turf, despite why they claim UAB can't have ChemE.

The end goal is total transfer of BME to the School of Medicine as a UAT wing. This takes away many of UAB's strongest undergrad students. This is no shock to anyone here, but this should serve as a warning to lurking high schoolers and undergrads wondering what the future holds for UAB Engineering, and a shame on Dr. Lucas for betraying her students.
03-17-2015 09:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FNblazer Online
#freeuab

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: "Chemical Engineering" and How the UAB Admin is Showing Their Hand Again
+1!!!

Remember, the master plan happens slowly. Blink and you'll miss each subtle move.
03-17-2015 09:46 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: "Chemical Engineering" and How the UAB Admin is Showing Their Hand Again
I heard from an acquaintance that at Alabama's recent junior preview day for rising high school seniors that those attending were told that UA was in the process of adding a biomechanical engineering degree. In other words, it's happening again, they're putting in a program we have with the intent of stealing those undergrad students.

It's not a rumor or a conspiracy theory, they continue to do it while forbidding us to put in programs that exist there.
03-17-2015 11:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.