Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What would you think of this conference?
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Would this be a good conference?

FB-Liberty
Radford
Longwood
FB-Gardner Webb
UNC Ashville
FB-Campbell
High Point
FB-Monmouth
N. Kentucky
Lipscomb
FB-Kennesaw St.
FB-Charleston So.
FB-Coastal Carolina
Winthrop
FB-Presbyterian
SC Upstate
North Florida
FB-Florida Gulf Coast
FB-Stetson
FB-Jacksonville
03-10-2015 08:35 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
RE: What would you think of this conference?
(03-10-2015 08:35 AM)army56mike Wrote:  Would this be a good conference?

FB-Liberty
Radford
Longwood
FB-Gardner Webb
UNC Ashville
FB-Campbell
High Point
FB-Monmouth
N. Kentucky
Lipscomb
FB-Kennesaw St.
FB-Charleston So.
FB-Coastal Carolina
Winthrop
FB-Presbyterian
SC Upstate
North Florida
FB-Florida Gulf Coast
FB-Stetson
FB-Jacksonville
One could agree that the Big South Conference would be wise to expand and the FL schools would be a great catch. As rumblings about Coastal being an attractive program to one day move up to FBS, and LU's overt desire, those would be major hits for the BSC to lose. With the huge upside with Kennesaw, one can assume it will be a matter of time before they too seek a higher conference with their market and huge school attendance. As a Big South Conference action, this is an easy action to support.
03-10-2015 08:45 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I think that would be a mistake. By my count there are eleven football schools which is one short of a championship game. The conference would be too big and unstable. It would be better as two conferences and split by football and non-football. It would be a very impersonal conference and hard to develop rivalries.
03-10-2015 09:13 AM
army56mike Offline

So you'd be happier with a conference of

Liberty
Gardner Webb
Campbell
Monmouth
Kennesaw St.
Charleston So.
Coastal Carolina
Presbyterian
Florida Gulf Coast
Stetson
Jacksonville

... and maybe a start up program or three from Radford, Longwood, Ashville, High Point, N. Kentucky, Lipscomb, Winthrop, SC Upstate, or N. Florida.
03-10-2015 09:47 AM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

(03-10-2015 09:47 AM)army56mike Wrote:  So you'd be happier with a conference of

Liberty
Gardner Webb
Campbell
Monmouth
Kennesaw St.
Charleston So.
Coastal Carolina
Presbyterian
Florida Gulf Coast
Stetson
Jacksonville

... and maybe a start up program or three from Radford, Longwood, Ashville, High Point, N. Kentucky, Lipscomb, Winthrop, SC Upstate, or N. Florida.

As a hypothetical conference this second group is much more attractive. I don't really care which one of the other options you listed for the final spot. Each has their pros and cons. I wouldn't want Longwood to get a football team though. It is already bad enough we share the Big South with them.
03-10-2015 10:16 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
I'd be most happy witht he Big South in the rearview mirror. But I appreciate the ideas, guys. There is no question that it is in the best interest of the Big South to find a way into Florida. If Jacksonville could get their finances in order or North Florida made the commitment to step up, they would both be viable options. FGCU likely has much loftier goals.
03-10-2015 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-10-2015 02:08 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  I'd be most happy witht he Big South in the rearview mirror. But I appreciate the ideas, guys. There is no question that it is in the best interest of the Big South to find a way into Florida. If Jacksonville could get their finances in order or North Florida made the commitment to step up, they would both be viable options. FGCU likely has much loftier goals.
It's nice to have discussion about our present conference. Not necessarily something that is going to shift things for LU other than a lateral perception of the conference recognition. It seems the emphasis is strongly geared towards gaining a higher conference affiliation in FBS. In the meantime, FL would be nice in November.
03-10-2015 02:26 PM
Advertisement

SlyFox Offline
1st String

The reason why many of us longtime FlameFans always focus on getting out of the Big South is that decades of membership in the league has us pining away for anything else. As long as Kallender is running the show, any positive developments will be a pleasant surprise.
03-10-2015 03:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NewTimes Offline
All American

(03-10-2015 03:52 PM)SlyFox Wrote:  The reason why many of us longtime FlameFans always focus on getting out of the Big South is that decades of membership in the league has us pining away for anything else. As long as Kallender is running the show, any positive developments will be a pleasant surprise.
Unfortunately the BSC is perceived as one of the weakest FCS conferences. The SoCo and CAA, our nearest competitors, have huge nostrils from looking so long down on us for so long as BSC members. The last conference I want to be a part of is the SoCo and their past history with LU. Any FCS conference is a lateral move at best. I'm okay with having new members improve it, I just don't want to move to another FCS as it will take us away from the bigger prize. I still like FL in Nov.
03-10-2015 04:15 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

If we are moving to another FCS league unless we need to park oru other programs while we are playing football in an FBS league.
03-10-2015 04:52 PM
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I wouldn't mind joining the the CAA but they wouldn't take us. It would be nice to improve the profile of Liberty and play stronger competition until we go FBS.
03-10-2015 05:44 PM
army56mike Offline

I agree, the CAA wouldn't be a bad move. But I'd be just as happy being in an ever improving BSC. Our football is growing. Baseball has some good programs. Men's basketball is pretty weak. Women's basketball is pretty weak also. Pulling some strong programs from the A-Sun would be an epic success. I know the hope and plan is to move to FBS. But we can't rest on that. While we are still current members of the BSC we need the conference to grow and be strong.
03-10-2015 06:00 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

FBS pays off for ODU
ODU to receive $339,000 more from Under Armour sponsorship. Enlightening post on the ODU board about how ODU went from a $61,000 sponsorship to $400,00 being FBS.

http://m.pilotonline.com/?cu=spreed%3A%2...2F42439457

Ooops, that was the JMU board.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 09:34 AM by NewTimes.)
03-11-2015 09:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.