Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

PREVIEW: Game 29 W&M vs. Drexel - Senior Day
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary

The Opponent: Drexel Dragons (10-18, 8-9 CAA) Coach: Bruiser Flint

The Skinny: The Dragons are, as always, a tough defensive team. Drexel is tops in the CAA in scoring defense (64.6 points per game allowed) and pull down about 35 rebounds per game. The Dragons problems are on the offensive end, where they shoot only 38% from the floor and score only 59 points per game. They have suffered recently from the loss of Lee and Mohica and have only dressed 7 players.

The Series: This will be the 30th game in the series between William and Mary and Drexel ... The Dragons lead the overall series, 17-12, and are 14-9 against W&M since joining the CAA. The Tribe has won the last three games against the Dragons, including a 73-47 beatdown in Philly in January.

Last time out: The Dragons were soundly beaten by Delaware, in a 58-44 loss at home. Senior guard Freddie Wilson led the Dragons with 12 points, while Rashann London and Mohamed Bah each added 11 points. The Dragons have been reduced to only 7 scholarship players after the loss of star Damian Lee and forward Sammy Mojica to injuries in the past week.

The Players:

• Junior Damion Lee is out for the season after suffering a fractured hand at NU. He averaged 28.0 ppg and 5.5 rpg last week, including 30 points at NU. Lee, who tops the CAA in scoring (21.4 ppg), had tallied double digits in 24 straight games, had 14 games with 20+ points and four with 30+ points.

• Freshman Sammy Mojica was 6-of-10 from 3-point range last week and averaged 10.0 ppg, 3.5 apg, 3.5 rpg and 3.0 spg. He injured his knee and is also now out for the season.

• 6’3” Senior G Freddie Wilson made 4-of-5 treys and tied a career high with 16 points in just 10 minutes off the bench at JMU. Now starting, he had a game high 12 vs. Delaware.

• 6’7” Junior F Tavon Allen scored 14 points at NU and has hit double figures in 8 of his last 12 games. He played 40 minutes against Delaware (as did Wilson and London).

• 6’9” Freshman F Mohamed Bah was 5-of-7 from the floor last game and shoots 53% from the field. He also shoots 80% from the free throw line.

Dragon Tails:

• Drexel was 27-of-34 at the FT line last week and is 120-of-149 (82%) over the past nine games. Drexel is shooting a league-best 74.7% for the season.

• Drexel has committed only 36 turnovers in the last five games (7.2 tpg).

Tribe Disa & Data:

• Senior Marcus Thornton averaged 20.0 ppg and 4.5 apg last week and reached double figures for the 34th straight game. He’s 11th on the CAA’s career scoring list (2,062 pts) and is also 6th in CAA history with 301 career 3’s and is averaging 19.3 ppg on the season.

• Junior Terry Tarpey averaged 19.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.0 apg and 3.5 spg last week while shooting 63.2% from the floor and 6-of-7 from three. He tops the CAA in rebounds, ranks 7th in assists, 1st in steals and 1st in blocks. He’s scored double digits in 13 of 17 CAA games. He is averaging 12.0 points, 8.3 rpg, 3.3 apg and 1.8 steals per game and has eight double-doubles this season.

• Sophomore Omar Prewitt has 32 steals and 23 blocks on the season , second high on the team in both categories. He is averaging 13.1 ppg and 4.1 rpg.

• Freshman Greg Malinowksi hit 7-of-9 from the floor and 5-of-7 from 3 last week and averaged 10.0 ppg and was named CAA Rookie of the Week. He is averaging 4.7 points and 2.7 rpg.

• W&M hit double-digit 3-pointers for the 12th time this season at NU, but has not reached that level since.

• The Tribe has scored at least 70 points in 14 of its 17 CAA contests this year.

The Broadcast: Countdown to Tipoff begins at 1:30 PM along the network, http://tideradio.com/home/listen-live/ , and http://www.tribeathletics.com . Join Wes, Charlie and I for the radio coverage (my final pre-game). Be sure to tune in for Tony's pre-game thoughts and our scouting report.

Final Thoughts: This is Senior Day and CAA Championship Day. That should be sufficient motivation to keep the intensity up all game. The Dragons are playing with a severely depleted roster, including their star Damion Lee. The key will, again, be a fast start and not giving the young Dragons any reason for hope. If so, the game should be over by half-time.

Go Tribe!!

02-27-2015 08:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TDenverFan Online
All American

RE: PREVIEW: Game 29 W&M vs. Drexel - Senior Day
Any idea how close Marcus is to moving up the CAA's all time list?

This one (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conf...areer.html) only has data starting in 97, and Marcus is 6th in the CAA since that time, about 80 from moving up a few spots but about 500 from the top.
02-27-2015 08:18 PM
zablenoise Online
Heisman

(02-27-2015 08:18 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Any idea how close Marcus is to moving up the CAA's all time list?

This one (http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conf...areer.html) only has data starting in 97, and Marcus is 6th in the CAA since that time, about 80 from moving up a few spots but about 500 from the top.

If I remember correctly the record is held by David Robinson with some ridiculous number of points
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 08:33 PM by zablenoise.)
02-27-2015 08:33 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

(02-27-2015 08:33 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(02-27-2015 08:18 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  Any idea how close Marcus is to moving up the CAA's all time list?

If I remember correctly the record is held by David Robinson with some ridiculous number of points

Oh yeah he has no chance of #1, but I was curious how close he is to top 10 or even top 5.

If If If If If we win the CAA Tournament, he'll play in at least 5 more games, which could be an extra 100 points.
02-27-2015 10:57 PM
Advertisement

SoCal Frank Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Wm and Mary
If if if we win this tournament; it won't coming from Marcus averaging twenty. It will come from a balanced attack and some wicked defense.
02-28-2015 01:26 AM
Big Tribe Offline
2nd String

We may see Dixon play some today. At least that's been the plan; would be important for him to get some game action, test the hamstring before tourney time.

Kaplan Arena will be rocking today.
02-28-2015 08:03 AM
Tribe Fan Offline
Special Teams

Thank you Billymac for all you done to help Tribe Basketball !
Every announcement regarding this game and the broadcast list Wes,Charlie and Bill...where is Jay ?
02-28-2015 12:02 PM
tribelifer Offline
1st String

Jay is in Atlanta, cheering on his (very talented) son, who is swimming in the ACC Championships today.
02-28-2015 12:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.