Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Tiebreakers
Bookmark and Share
wrnbldg Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: William & Mary
Tiebreakers
I assume that head-to-head is the first tiebreaker, and thus we win any tie with JMU or UNC-W. Does anyone know what the 2nd tiebreaker is, and where we would sit if we finished tied with Northeastern? Or what happens with a three-way tie?

I know tiebreakers would be used for conference tournament seeding. Does anyone know if teams finishing with identical records are deemed co-champions for purposes of posterity, or is only the team who wins the tiebreaker crowned regular season champion?

In a related question -- I know conference regular season champs are now guaranteed an NIT birth if they don't make the NCAA tourney. Does anyone know if the NIT relies solely on the conference's tiebreakers, or has another method to break ties b/w teams that finished tied for a conference crown?
02-26-2015 12:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

RE: Tiebreakers
We hold all the tiebreakers. In the event of a multi way tie it's record among tied teams. We are 3-1 against NE and UNCW. NE is 1-3 and UNCW is 2-2. If we tie just with NE it goes to record against next best team. We're 2-0 against UNCW. NE is 0-2.
02-26-2015 01:00 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

There are a few other threads that have things on this, but the bottom line is if we win there is no situation where we don't get the 1-seed. For a multi-way tie it is record among all tied, and if there are just two teams tied, it is head to head and then record against the next best team(s). So since the only team sniffing top 6 that we lost to is NE, and they were swept by UNCW, we're in the clear as long as we win.

For the NIT, I'm 99% sure whoever is the 1-seed has the NIT bid should they not win on Monday night.

For declared conference championship, no idea. I'm sure as the 1-seed we will declare ourselves conference champions, and the others who we are tied with will probably declare themselves conference co-champs.
02-26-2015 01:00 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Here's an interesting wrinkle: if we get the 1 seed but don't win the conference outright would we put up a banner? If we did would we also hang one for the '98 team?
02-26-2015 01:06 PM
Advertisement

hktribefan Offline
1st String

I think we would, they do it for football co-championships. Don't have a good answer for the '98 team though...
02-26-2015 01:11 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
(02-26-2015 01:06 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Here's an interesting wrinkle: if we get the 1 seed but don't win the conference outright would we put up a banner? If we did would we also hang one for the '98 team?

I believe that the reason that you do not see a banner hanging for the 97-98 team, and the reason that you will not see one for this year's team if we win Saturday but don't win the whole thing in Baltimore, is that conferences with post season tournaments consider the tournament champion to be the conference champion, period. I think that this even holds true for the ACC. The primary purpose for the conference season has always been to determine seeding in the tournament. The NIT decision to guarantee spots in the field for regular season winners who do not make it to the NCAA tournament has certainly added additional meaning to the regular season conference race.
02-26-2015 02:40 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

Quoting from the NIT page on the NCAA website, "Any regular season champion of an NCAA Division 1 conference (as determined by the conferences's tie-breaker protocol) not otherwise selected to the NCAA Division 1 men's basketball championship will secure an automatic qualification into the NIT".

Now let's win on Saturday so that we can put ourselves in the best possible position to take 3 games in Baltimore and punch our ticket to the BIG DANCE!!!
02-26-2015 02:56 PM
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2015 02:40 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  I believe that the reason that you do not see a banner hanging for the 97-98 team, and the reason that you will not see one for this year's team if we win Saturday but don't win the whole thing in Baltimore, is that conferences with post season tournaments consider the tournament champion to be the conference champion, period. I think that this even holds true for the ACC. The primary purpose for the conference season has always been to determine seeding in the tournament. The NIT decision to guarantee spots in the field for regular season winners who do not make it to the NCAA tournament has certainly added additional meaning to the regular season conference race.

I know this isn't going to be a commonly held opinion especially with the history of this program but I would much rather win a regular season title than get hot in the CAA tournament. Consistently winning against conference opponents show that the program is moving in the right direction and can have sustained success going forward. Winning the CAA tournament, especially for a low seed, shows you got lucky or hot or matched up well or whatever. I don't want our team to be the 16 seed with a losing record that gets pounded by Kentucky. Frankly I'm not sure that visibility adds any benefit. Of course I'm hoping that my preference will be a moot point this season (and every season) because we'll win both the regular season and the tournament.
02-26-2015 03:12 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I agree with this 100%.
02-26-2015 03:29 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

+1
02-26-2015 04:19 PM
Advertisement

tribe_pride Online
1st String

I Root For: W&M
As a long term goal, I agree about consistently winning the regular season or at least being in contention. But as a team that has never made it to the tourney, if I had to choose between winning the regular season title for 1 year or winning the tournament that year, it has to be going to the tournament. Wouldn't want to it to be necessarily when we are a below .500 team or a 16 seed but a year like this year or the year when we beat Maryland and Wake Forest. Thankfully, those goals are not mutually exclusive though.
02-26-2015 04:25 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

(02-26-2015 02:40 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 01:06 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Here's an interesting wrinkle: if we get the 1 seed but don't win the conference outright would we put up a banner? If we did would we also hang one for the '98 team?

I believe that the reason that you do not see a banner hanging for the 97-98 team, and the reason that you will not see one for this year's team if we win Saturday but don't win the whole thing in Baltimore, is that conferences with post season tournaments consider the tournament champion to be the conference champion, period. I think that this even holds true for the ACC. The primary purpose for the conference season has always been to determine seeding in the tournament. The NIT decision to guarantee spots in the field for regular season winners who do not make it to the NCAA tournament has certainly added additional meaning to the regular season conference race.

I could see one being hung for this year. I think we have Banners for both NIT seasons hanging
02-26-2015 04:43 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

(02-26-2015 04:43 PM)TDenverFan Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 02:40 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

I could see one being hung for this year. I think we have Banners for both NIT seasons hanging

I meant banners for being regular season champions. There are indeed banners for the two NIT appearances. they are very lonely for a banner to look up to.
02-26-2015 05:25 PM
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
I can assure you that had the 2007-08 team beaten George Mason, we would have put up a banner(or the 2010 team beating ODU, or last year's team beating Delaware). I don't think it would have meant any less that we were not the regular season champion because the first time is still the first time ever, no matter how it happens. I am pleased that each of you thinks we can dream about regular success and it meaning more to win the regular season, but in our history, we do not dare think of those things. We need 2 more wins to even have our first ever back to back 20 win seasons. I promise you this, if we win the next 4 games on our schedule, beginning on March 11th(the 10th will be a day of dreaming, delirium, drunkness, and debauchery), we can have any discussion about seeding, about which award means more, or about our 2016 star recruit. But for the next 11 days, let's enjoy this ride:

1) Senior Day- Saturday. A chance to honor 2 special players. Marcus as the greatest in Tribe History. Tom Schalk as the embodiment of what it means to be an unselfish teammate. Hopefully, a great team performance, a win, and another chance to see Terry Tarpey and Daniel Dixon prior to the tournament.
2) Saturday, March 7th- Hopefully, the Tribe comes out focused and begins a great trip through Baltimore.
I won't list the games past the 7th because we have never won the tournament. Even as fans, this should be taken one game at a time. One opponent at a time. Don't miss the steps in the process, take nothing for granted. The Tribe already lost to Elon and Charleston. However, our best is better than anyone else in this league. We have no games past next Saturday YET. But Tribal, the WMBlog guys and BillyMac have it right: It is NCAA or bust this year and all those players and Coach Shaver can do it. My pre2004 Red Sox fandom prevents me from guaranteeing anything or taking it for granted. This team has been fun and really good at times this year. But, if they can take their team concept and help defense to the next level and Marcus plays at a level where the game slows down for him, we will have much to talk about on March 10th and 11th. One Tribe, 2015. Win 4 more games in 11 days.

Now if someone wants to revisit First Team CAA based on this regular season, I am ready to talk about that. Also, in honor of last night's Towson first half shooting performance, someone should post early how bad our defense is. I posted it when we were down early 12-6 and then Towson missed close to 30 straight shots. I am not above superstition to get this done for the Tribe family. If that doesn't work, LeadBolt needs to bring something back from Mexico for luck for the Tribe.
02-26-2015 05:26 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-26-2015 05:26 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Now if someone wants to revisit First Team CAA based on this regular season, I am ready to talk about that.

I'm always down to talk Tribe. I was just talking to my roommate about this last night. Terry is the most rounded statistical player in the conference but I think he might seriously be left off the first team. Are the teams position dependent? If so what does Terry qualify as? Because he can do it all.
02-26-2015 05:52 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(02-26-2015 05:52 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(02-26-2015 05:26 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  Now if someone wants to revisit First Team CAA based on this regular season, I am ready to talk about that.

I'm always down to talk Tribe. I was just talking to my roommate about this last night. Terry is the most rounded statistical player in the conference but I think he might seriously be left off the first team. Are the teams position dependent? If so what does Terry qualify as? Because he can do it all.

Let's find the CAA first team thread, I'll look for it. If I or Tribal cannot find it, we will start a new thread. OK, the CAA POY Thread seems like a good place for it.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2015 06:13 PM by TribePride91.)
02-26-2015 06:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.