Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT - Court Storming...Big Deal or No Big Deal?
Bookmark and Share
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
OT - Court Storming...Big Deal or No Big Deal?
Apparently Kansas St stormed the court after beating Kansas and ESPN is flipping out. I get safety concerns, but is it really that big of a deal? It has been going on for decades and it is a sign of the FUN and exuberance of college ball v. NBA. Im not old enough to remember it, but court/field storming used to happen in Pro Ball. When Hank Aaron broke the Home Run record, people stormed the field (in the 70's in south) and nothing bad happened. Thoughts anyone?
02-24-2015 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
RE: OT - Court Storming...Big Deal or No Big Deal?
Everyone getting their panties in a wad over this is lame.

However, unless you're a mid-major taking down a top 10 ranked opponent, than it shouldn't be done during the regular season.

Kansas St doesn't meet the qualifications to storm the court after beating Kansas during the regular season. Sorry, but court storming should actually mean something. That win doesn't mean jackshit.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 07:49 PM by B_Hawk06.)
02-24-2015 07:49 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 07:49 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Everyone getting their panties in a wad over this is lame.

However, unless you're a mid-major taking down a top 10 ranked opponent, than it shouldn't be done during the regular season.

Kansas St doesn't meet the qualifications to storm the court after beating Kansas during the regular season. Sorry, but court storming should actually mean something. That win doesn't mean jackshit.

oh definitely agree on overdoing it. here is a good article on storming the court and when it should be done
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/stor...src=mobile

but to ban it completely...cmon really
02-24-2015 07:52 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-24-2015 07:52 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 07:49 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Everyone getting their panties in a wad over this is lame.

oh definitely agree on overdoing it. here is a good article on storming the court and when it should be done

The talking heads at ESPN, specifically Jay Bilas, would love to have it banned completely because it adds to the embarrassment of losing to a mid-major (Bilas hates them). I haven't watched any ESPN today, but outside of someone ACTUALLY getting hurt, vice all the "what ifs", I don't see how they have a case. It's been done how many times now without issue?
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 07:56 PM by B_Hawk06.)
02-24-2015 07:55 PM
BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

When we beat Hofstra in the CAA championship in 06 I stormed the court and got my head busted open by what could have only been an ESPN camera that ran onto the court. I was so pumped up I didn't even notice or care. I remember the look on Beckham Wyrick's face when saw my head, and then someone else said, "you're bleeding"! I just kept wiping the blood off with my UNCW hoodie. Storming that court in Richmond is a memory/scar I will always have with me.
02-24-2015 07:59 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 07:55 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

The talking heads at ESPN, specifically Jay Bilas, would love to have it banned completely because it adds to the embarrassment of losing to a mid-major (Bilas hates them). I haven't watched any ESPN today, but outside of someone ACTUALLY getting hurt, vice all the "what ifs", I don't see how they have a case. It's been done how many times now without issue?

Apparently Bill Self got, as you would say, "his panties in a wad" about it. he said he and his team were not safe.

k state issue a public apology for this (a bit of an overreaction but you gotta keep peace) which is how i heard about it. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...t-storming
02-24-2015 08:00 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I can't find the article I read earlier today, but it summed up my thoughts nicely. You knew someone would ruin it for everyone else eventually. Much like it has been questioned in college football, it spread to basketball too.

Court storming is great as long as it doesn't go too far and no one gets hurt. But you can't easily guarantee no one WILL get hurt, so there's no easy solution except what the NCAA is likely about to try to do: Ban it entirely. A real shame.
02-24-2015 08:04 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 07:55 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  The talking heads at ESPN, specifically Jay Bilas, would love to have it banned completely because it adds to the embarrassment of losing to a mid-major (Bilas hates them).

P5 teams don't play on the road against mid-majors. There aren't nearly enough opportunities for this to happen for Jay Bilas to be pissed about.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2015 08:07 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
02-24-2015 08:06 PM
BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

Has anyone ever been seriously injured during a court storming?
02-24-2015 08:07 PM
Advertisement

B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-24-2015 08:00 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 07:55 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  

Apparently Bill Self got, as you would say, "his panties in a wad" about it. he said he and his team were not safe.

k state issue a public apology for this (a bit of an overreaction but you gotta keep peace) which is how i heard about it. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...t-storming

So let me get this straight. What are probably the largest human specimens at Kansas University, and in great shape might I add, were in danger because a couple hundred little 5 foot nothings stormed the court jumping up and down in jubilation?

Yep. Bill Self is officially... a biatch.

(Now I see why I'm not a good choice for moderator, by the way.)
02-24-2015 08:07 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2015 08:07 PM)BigDoubleU Wrote:  Has anyone ever been seriously injured during a court storming?

they had a young man in a wheelchair do it at an NC State game. He survived but said it probably was not a wise decision. Thats about the closest I have heard.
02-24-2015 08:08 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-24-2015 08:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(02-24-2015 08:07 PM)BigDoubleU Wrote:  Has anyone ever been seriously injured during a court storming?

they had a young man in a wheelchair do it at an NC State game. He survived but said it probably was not a wise decision. Thats about the closest I have heard.

Unless you're Professor X.
02-24-2015 08:10 PM
BigDoubleU Offline
Bench Warmer

(02-24-2015 08:08 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

I remember that. CJ Leslie picked him off the floor.
02-24-2015 08:11 PM
Advertisement

SEA33HAWK Offline
All American

Its my understanding that Self got pinned against the scorer's table by the crowd. And the K-State coach had to help him get free.
02-24-2015 09:14 PM
mainejeff Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Maine
Everyone is doing it for the cameras......everyone wants to be a star.
02-25-2015 09:16 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

I talk about this often and always wind up on my soapbox, so i'll try to be brief. IMO if you are in a top 10 conference and you beat someone in conference, you should not storm the court. I always use the old saying "act like you have been there before." Regular season games are a different animal. For postseason winning the tourney, i don't have any issue, I've found myself on the floor in Richmond a number of times after Dub titles. I got into a heated exchange after State rushed earlier this year after beating Duke. If you wanted to be respected as a rival, or taken seriously, you shouldn't storm for a reg season game IMO.
02-25-2015 10:00 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(02-25-2015 10:00 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  I talk about this often and always wind up on my soapbox, so i'll try to be brief. IMO if you are in a top 10 conference and you beat someone in conference, you should not storm the court. I always use the old saying "act like you have been there before." Regular season games are a different animal. For postseason winning the tourney, i don't have any issue, I've found myself on the floor in Richmond a number of times after Dub titles. I got into a heated exchange after State rushed earlier this year after beating Duke. If you wanted to be respected as a rival, or taken seriously, you shouldn't storm for a reg season game IMO.

You and I are definitely on the same page here.
02-25-2015 12:41 PM
Advertisement

jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
To bad he wasn't trapped under the score's table.
(02-24-2015 09:14 PM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Its my understanding that Self got pinned against the scorer's table by the crowd. And the K-State coach had to help him get free.
02-25-2015 05:04 PM
Tommy Teke Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: uncw
I remember that first CAA tournament championship and storming the court !!! I like the view from center court !!
02-26-2015 08:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.