Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Heard our baseball coach on the radio this morning.
Bookmark and Share
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Heard our baseball coach on the radio this morning.
He did a great job. He was asked about referring to UALR as "Little Rock's team", and he explained that everyone around here knows who UALR is, but when you go out of state, people don't, and so it's to our advantage to use Little Rock when referring to our team.

The announcer even mentioned that Chasse Conque had alluded to using the "Little Rock's team" slogan. It's obvious things are a changing for the better out on South University04-cheers
02-11-2015 03:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Online
Hall of Famer

RE: Heard our baseball coach on the radio this morning.
(02-11-2015 03:33 PM)outsideualr Wrote:  He did a great job. He was asked about referring to UALR as "Little Rock's team", and he explained that everyone around here knows who UALR is, but when you go out of state, people don't, and so it's to our advantage to use Little Rock when referring to our team.

The announcer even mentioned that Chasse Conque had alluded to using the "Little Rock's team" slogan. It's obvious things are a changing for the better out on South University04-cheers

I heard he was going to be on, but then forgot to listen. He seems like a really great guy with some very good baseball experience. I think he will do well, but that is still relative. ULL has a baseball stadium that seats 3700 (we probably seat 370), sells 2500 season tickets (we might sell 25), and averages 3200 a game (we probably average closer to 32, and I would be absolutely ecstatic if we could average 320). So realistically how can we compete with that. If we didn't have the Traveler in town, we could probably really market college baseball to the baseball fans in town. But the Travelers likely have the baseball market and even if they didn't it's about impossible to draw fans for the first month or more of the season due to the weather.
02-11-2015 04:00 PM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
IMO the name Little Rock University should have never been changed. I had given up hope it would ever be changed back. Many years ago I suggested the scores should be reported as UALR like UAB, UTEP, UCLA and others, not Arkansas-Little Rock. That got no where. It seems that Chase might have the courage to insist or try for the Sports Teams to be identified as Little Rock Trojans, and hopefully he will have the support of the Chancelor and others in the Administration. I will believe it when I see "Little Rock" scores on ESPN.
02-11-2015 10:02 PM
mjs Online
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2015 10:02 PM)DollarBill Wrote:  IMO the name Little Rock University should have never been changed. I had given up hope it would ever be changed back. Many years ago I suggested the scores should be reported as UALR like UAB, UTEP, UCLA and others, not Arkansas-Little Rock. That got no where. It seems that Chase might have the courage to insist or try for the Sports Teams to be identified as Little Rock Trojans, and hopefully he will have the support of the Chancelor and others in the Administration. I will believe it when I see "Little Rock" scores on ESPN.

I'm hoping (and think he will) Chasse will try to promote the baseball games. No reason we shouldn't get 300-400 people out to Gary Hogan Field for a Spring weekend game when the weather is nice. That would create a really nice atmosphere out there. Folks just need to find out where the field is located.
02-11-2015 10:50 PM
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
A few years ago I was talking to the state rep out in Sherwood and threw out the idea that the UA System schools ought to have a blanket authority to revert to their old name if they wanted. Saw him at breakfast about a month later and he said UALR, UAM, and UAPB all indicated that they had no interest when he asked.

I've never understood the preference for UALR over Little Rock. The excuse I've been given of it being a marketing decision doesn't wash with me. Nationally Little Rock is a good brand, my wife works in tourism and the last few years interest in Little Rock has really grown. The only people who have negative thoughts of Little Rock are either much older and think of Fabus or they are local white flighters. They know what the LR is in UALR and find that whole part of town to scary and deadly to want to associate with it.

Little Rock is a helluva city with a great restaurant culture given the size and plenty of stuff to do. If they ever change, most schools offer the opportunity to get an updated diploma after a name change and I'd certainly consider it.
02-12-2015 05:01 PM
PTJR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: LR / UR / CU
(02-12-2015 05:01 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  A few years ago I was talking to the state rep out in Sherwood and threw out the idea that the UA System schools ought to have a blanket authority to revert to their old name if they wanted. Saw him at breakfast about a month later and he said UALR, UAM, and UAPB all indicated that they had no interest when he asked.

I've never understood the preference for UALR over Little Rock. The excuse I've been given of it being a marketing decision doesn't wash with me. Nationally Little Rock is a good brand, my wife works in tourism and the last few years interest in Little Rock has really grown. The only people who have negative thoughts of Little Rock are either much older and think of Fabus or they are local white flighters. They know what the LR is in UALR and find that whole part of town to scary and deadly to want to associate with it.

Little Rock is a helluva city with a great restaurant culture given the size and plenty of stuff to do. If they ever change, most schools offer the opportunity to get an updated diploma after a name change and I'd certainly consider it.

A name change for the University is not necessary for UALR's athletic teams to call themselves, market themselves, and be known as "Little Rock".
02-12-2015 06:53 PM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

I think Chasse might be on board with that. He's already calling us "Little Rock's Team". That's a start.
02-12-2015 07:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.