Drexel preview
[Image: Drexel.gif]
Drexel Dragons
Overall record vs. DI: 6-13
CAA record: 4-5
RPI: 248
SOS: 143
KenPom: 276

Bruiser Flint's 14th year with the Drexel Dragons seemed to go up in flames before it began. As has become a trend over the last three seasons, major injuries have crippled their chances at a title. This season, Junior Damion Lee returns coming off an injury, but the Dragons lost forward Kazembe Abif and starting point guard Major Canady for the entire season.

Nevertheless, Drexel is making do, and are coming off a 2-game winning streak, most recently a home upset over Northeastern. They get another chance to knock off a top CAA team at home this weekend against the Hawks as they try to improve to .500.

Lee (21.2 ppg, 6.1 rpg) leads the conference in scoring and is one of the better offensive players Flint has ever had in his defense-minded system. He represents over 37 % of Drexel's scoring this season (41 % in conference games). Fellow Junior Tavon Allen (10.5 ppg) is also in double figures this season, while Sophomore forward Rodney Williams (7.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg), who also suffered an injury earlier in the season, has come back strong for the Dragons.

In Conference-only games, Drexel is the lowest-scoring team (55.9 ppg) in the CAA, making Lee all the more important to the Dragons' success. The Dragons make up for their scoring deficiency by also being the 2nd-best scoring defense (63.1 ppg). UNCW's games have been, on average, in the high-60's and are 3rd in the CAA in scoring. The contrasting styles will certainly be interesting to watch.

Drexel, much like Towson, lacks 3-pt shooting threats (9th in 3-pt %). They aren't a terrific rebounding team either (10th in rebounding margin). Drexel's calling card, however, is in the turnover department. Only UNCW (+3.44) is better than Drexel (+ 3.11) in turnover margin.

Drexel's victory over Northeastern should not scare us. We have more talent, and in the areas where Drexel does well, we do just as well or better. The key will be dictating the pace of the game. If Drexel keeps this game in the 50's, the difference will be which team makes a mistake at the end.

PREDICTION: Seahawks 67, Drexel 57
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 12:21 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-30-2015 12:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Drexel preview
I heard Rodney Williams is back in Drexel's line-up following injury. He's a nice athlete who snatches rebounds. Tribe fans had him penciled in to come to W&M but Hot Rod made a terrible decision. No doubt Drexel is a better squad with him in the rotation.

Good luck.
01-30-2015 01:13 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(01-30-2015 01:13 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I heard Rodney Williams is back in Drexel's line-up following injury. He's a nice athlete who snatches rebounds. Tribe fans had him penciled in to come to W&M but Hot Rod made a terrible decision. No doubt Drexel is a better squad with him in the rotation.

Good luck.

I'm sorry Tribal, this is the good news only zone. Such post highlighting the positive play of the opposition is not welcome here. 05-nono
01-30-2015 02:55 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Also, Drexel is typically a tough place to visit because the gym (or whatever they call that place) is tiny.

Gotta be prepared for that. It's not like WM's arena or Trask coliseum.
01-30-2015 03:17 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

I Root For: UNCW
We are favored by 1 at this time.
01-30-2015 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

If you want to make money tomorrow, take UNCW and give the point and take Towson and 11 points. I have never bet money on anything but UNCW only giving a point against Drexel is an utter joke.
01-30-2015 08:35 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-30-2015 08:35 PM)Tribal Wrote:  If you want to make money tomorrow, take UNCW and give the point and take Towson and 11 points. I have never bet money on anything but UNCW only giving a point against Drexel is an utter joke.

I'm terrible at gambling, and I don't even understand what that means.

On the upside, I never lose what I don't bet.
01-30-2015 08:53 PM
Tribal Offline

Re: RE: Drexel preview
(01-30-2015 08:53 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(01-30-2015 08:35 PM)Tribal Wrote:  If you want to make money tomorrow, take UNCW and give the point and take Towson and 11 points. I have never bet money on anything but UNCW only giving a point against Drexel is an utter joke.

I'm terrible at gambling, and I don't even understand what that means.

On the upside, I never lose what I don't bet.

It means: If you pick UNCW to win, you have to win by at least two points. If you pick TU and the eleven points, you want TU to win OR not lose by more than ten points.

Who in their right mind thinks UNCW won't beat Drexel by at least two points?
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 08:58 PM by Tribal.)
01-30-2015 08:57 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

Drexel preview
(01-30-2015 08:35 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Who in their right mind thinks UNCW won't beat Drexel by at least two points?

The paranoid side of me thinks this is the EXACT type of game we could lose. Everyone is high on is, tough defense on the road....if our shooters go cold it could definitely happen.

But the fan in me wants to bet my life savings on UNCW.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2015 09:25 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-30-2015 09:24 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Re: RE: Drexel preview
(01-30-2015 09:24 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  The paranoid side of me thinks this is the EXACT type of game we could lose. Everyone is high on is, tough defense on the road....if our shooters go cold it could definitely happen.

That's every game for teams with shooters.
01-30-2015 09:30 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Drexel preview
I think our team has moved from a team that is primarily looking to win via jump shots to a team that bangs and slashes inside and relies only on open jumpers.

Having a true PG that doesn't turn the ball over has worked wonders in terms of having an identity on offense.
01-30-2015 09:55 PM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

Any CAA road game is tough for the favored team. We've seen UNCW pull off games when they were down so we know. If UNCW plays the way they've been playing, they should have a good chance. This team doesn't depend upon the 3ball so that's good. If Drexel gets hot on their home floor, it's entirely possible that they could pull off this game. No game is a big upset even if it appears that UNCW is the far better team. And, I think that they are this year given Drexel's injuries and UNCW's resurgence. Don't sleep on Drexel, they beat C of C last Saturday and took it to NE. They beat C of C when C of C was killing them from deep too. It's hard to win there.
01-31-2015 12:45 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
(01-31-2015 12:45 AM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  It's hard to win there.

Old 70s has been to The DAK. You walk into the building and walk upstairs because the game is played on the second floor. It's a real snake pit.

The Hawks need to take their A Game up there. There's really not much of a margin between CAA teams this year. That's a nasty place to play, and suddenly UNCW is the "giant" whose scalp frenzied fans want.
01-31-2015 07:09 AM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

Line has moved to us by 1.5.
01-31-2015 08:50 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

(01-31-2015 08:50 AM)Proff Wrote:  Line has moved to us by 1.5.

Probably because Tribe bet a few of his paychecks on us.
01-31-2015 10:59 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

It's GAME DAY gentlemen and ladies!

I'll be on the road this morning, but hopefully to my hotel in time to catch the game. If not, I'll be looking for updates here. I'll let you know!

Go Seahawks!!!
01-31-2015 11:01 AM
Tribal Offline

Yep, in other words, Drexel now FAVORED by 1 1/2 points. Unreal.
01-31-2015 02:11 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2015 02:11 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Yep, in other words, Drexel now FAVORED by 1 1/2 points. Unreal.

I really wanna bet solid money on the hawks today. Too bad excess play money is so limited now
01-31-2015 03:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.